Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsene Wenger

+40
Meshaal
Gopi
Subrat Koirala
DaveToffy
richard.fallaize
Jason Morrison
jason.mandryk
janelle.noel
ChippyBrady
Mario
Mohamed Samir
vyom.chaudhary
nick t
Mike York
Justin Chew
danny.ceurvels
Alejandro Perreira
John Foxall
Chris Chan
Vijay Saibola
Rima_Ikuy
Zaid Derweesh
Callum Hind
nick koupparis
Joey Schwab
Jonathan Prendergast
Sami Rockfeller
Pat McMenimen
Samritpal Singh
Jenson Pais
Liam Bermingham
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Schatzky
Evan Mullins
Christopher Flanagan
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Michael Foster
ralph avedikian
Hisham El Mawan
Alan Dawson
44 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Arsene Wenger - Page 8 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 am

Hisham El Mawan wrote:
Jenks1981 wrote:I just want the old buggar to play two up front, and teach someone to bloody defend!!!

Yeah, I feel that a managerial change would just set us back right now. We need to stop playing like Cesc Fabregas is still in the middle of the park for us and switch back to a good old 4-4-2. And apparently our defenders are self-coached?

Agree. When a new coach comes in, expectations automatically drop for their first season. Like Brendon Rogers at Liverpool. We would immediately begin to accept not making the Top 4. Where as if Wenger stays on this season, we will maintain expectations to finish Top 4.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:35 am

Well this popped up tonight on BBC..not too sure where to put it so all be it Wenger will prob have something to say because let's face it the press ask him about everything.......

Majority shareholder Stan Kroenke has been accused of "having no passion" for Arsenal by former director Lady Bracewell-Smith.

Arsenal's board are facing criticism after a poor start to their Premier League campaign and their Capital One Cup exit.

Bracewell-Smith, who sold Kroenke her shares last year, has criticised the American.

"Football is a business of passion. SK has no passion for AFC," she tweeted.

"If making money was the motivating factor, surely there are better ways."

When asked her view of the way the club is being run, Bracewell-Smith, who remains Arsenal's honorary vice president, added: "Disappointed would be an understatement!

"[He] shows he cares very little. Why he wanted to be part of AFC I do not know."

In October Kroenke insisted Arsenal are still targeting trophies despite the Gunners selling captain Robin van Persie to rivals Manchester United in August.

Van Persie's departure followed the sales of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri the previous summer.

There is also uncertainty over the future of England international Theo Walcott, whose contract expires next summer.

Don't know what to make of this......sorry yes I do its bloody obvious why he is here...a quick buck......turn up to a club where its run and making huge profits every season chuck in a few bucks for shares input nothing else and sit back and watch the good times roll....

Why we never took on the russian..who I might add is an arsenal fan I don't know!!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:59 pm

So she sold her shares to Kroenke for what I am sure was a very tidy profit then accuses him of having no passion and wanting to just make money? Shocked

Kroenke probably hasn't worked out as well as everyone wanted so far but when it was a choice between him and Usmanov then Kroenke was a clear favourite. He has had success with running sports teams in America and wanted to keep Arsenal as a self-sustainable football club, not a guy who wanted to use it as a playtoy because he doesn't know what else to do with his money. Plus hasn't Usmanov been involved with extortion, fraud and even rape charges? And he looks like Jabba the Hutt.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 am

Mike York wrote:So she sold her shares to Kroenke for what I am sure was a very tidy profit then accuses him of having no passion and wanting to just make money? Shocked

Kroenke probably hasn't worked out as well as everyone wanted so far but when it was a choice between him and Usmanov then Kroenke was a clear favourite. He has had success with running sports teams in America and wanted to keep Arsenal as a self-sustainable football club, not a guy who wanted to use it as a playtoy because he doesn't know what else to do with his money. Plus hasn't Usmanov been involved with extortion, fraud and even rape charges? And he looks like Jabba the Hutt.

They're both pretty poor candidates for owning the club for differing reasons. Objectively, I prefer Usmanov's supposed interest in the footballing side of the club rather than Kroenke's complete lack of interest in it, even to the point of at least pretending to give a fuck. I'd rather neither of them was anywhere near our club, but we're stuck with them now.

As for Lady Nina, she's a hypocrite, but that doesn't make her statements on Kroenke any less valid.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:01 am

Mike York wrote:So she sold her shares to Kroenke for what I am sure was a very tidy profit then accuses him of having no passion and wanting to just make money? Shocked

Jabba was arrested in 1980 and imprisoned and cleared in 2000....nothing brought to light has been ever stuck on him..

Between the two I would have been quite happy with the fact he wanted in....an arsneal fan...loves the sport and also wanted the club to continue to be run the way it is and yet just wanted to offer financial muscle when needed...by the sounds of what he has stated in the past it may be a play toy to him but at least he is willing to see what and where things are going wrong and wants to help....him and David dean are good allies and as seen today is going the right way about brining Henry back as some kind of coaching roll...
The way things are and with the Alliances he is forming with the people's favourites I would not put it past him trying to buy others out and taking control......everything points at him wanting what's best for the club......
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:40 am

It becomes a question of how you want this club run. Have a butt load of cash to spend but have no long term stability, or suffer some hardships in the short term to ensure you are sorted for the future. It isn't as simple as saying "let's bring in the guy with the most money" because if he is spending, he will be demanding results and silverware.

I like how so many people are now jumping onto the Usmanov band wagon and then criticising people who are calling for Wenger's head. Supporting the former will most likely accelerate Wenger's departure from the club. Wenger has a blind faith in the completely average squad he currently has, when the results don't come, he'll be sacked. Alternatively Usmanov will sign some quality players for above what Wenger 'values' them at and quit because he doesn't have control of the side. Either way I don't see how Wenger survives with Usmanov at the helm.

P.S If Usmanov is an Arsenal fan it'll make things worse because football fans are fickle and want quick fixes

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:02 am

Chris Chan wrote:It becomes a question of how you want this club run. Have a butt load of cash to spend but have no long term stability, or suffer some hardships in the short term to ensure you are sorted for the future. It isn't as simple as saying "let's bring in the guy with the most money" because if he is spending, he will be demanding results and silverware.

I like how so many people are now jumping onto the Usmanov band wagon and then criticising people who are calling for Wenger's head. Supporting the former will most likely accelerate Wenger's departure from the club. Wenger has a blind faith in the completely average squad he currently has, when the results don't come, he'll be sacked. Alternatively Usmanov will sign some quality players for above what Wenger 'values' them at and quit because he doesn't have control of the side. Either way I don't see how Wenger survives with Usmanov at the helm.

P.S If Usmanov is an Arsenal fan it'll make things worse because football fans are fickle and want quick fixes

Usmanov has always stated he wants the club run within its limits but was prepared to offset any new aditions from his own pocket...
Personaly I would rather have that than somebody just sit back and only add to the flack Wenger is taking by not being around nor having much to say on matters.....if usmanov had come across as being an ignorant fuck head like the teat at Chelsea then so be it let him nowhere near the club....I remember somwhere stated he brought shares and insisted on taking a back roll and letting the club run its course...but now is more prepared to take some responsibility and help get the club where it should be....
On those comments alone I know who I would rather......the guy who takes control and offers 2 at most press conferences saying he is behind the club....or the guy that wants to put the club right in these hard times....
And to be honest if usmanov wanted to help and bring in players then what difference would it make if we are always making a profit?
Wenger needs to understand what he is trying to do ON the pitch is not working..off maybe..but certainly not on it....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:13 am

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger defends club board

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger maintains he has always felt fully supported by the club's board.

Uzbek billionaire Alisher Usmanov, the club's second-largest shareholder, has claimed Wenger does not have enough backing and criticised the sale of Robin van Persie to Manchester United.

Usmanov's Red & White Holdings group are not represented on the board.

But Wenger said: "I believe I have always had the support from the board, and am very grateful for that."

This week has seen Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kieran Gibbs, Carl Jenkinson and Aaron Ramsey sign new long-term deals with the Gunners.

Wenger also remains hopeful that England forward Theo Walcott will commit his future to the club, with his current contract set to expire at the end of the season.

However, money available to Wenger for signings and salaries was restricted by Arsenal's move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium in 2006.

But they posted another impressive set of financial results in 2012 and will be boosted by a new £150m sponsorship deal with Emirates Airline.

And the Frenchman believes the club's policy of self-sustainability will pay dividends in the long term.

"We have worked over the years in respecting in what we did, which is to always work within our financial resources," he added.

"Therefore we made decisions which, from outside, looked not based on purely football reasons, but it was based as well on financial reasons."

Wenger also insists that big spending in January will not necessarily be the best thing for the club.

"What is important is this team develops in the way we want to play," he said.

"I have seen some interesting aspects on Monday night at Reading. Let's see how far this team can go. If we can add one or two exceptional players, we will do it.

"What we do not want to do is add players just because people put us under pressure to buy players. That is where we have to be strong enough.

"If we find a player who will give us something special, we will do it - but that, in January, will not be easy.

"I believe as well the first and most important thing is to keep confidence in the players we have."

Usmanov, 59, has an estimated fortune of $18bn and maintains his long-term ambition is to take a controlling interest in Arsenal, but American Stan Kroenke is currently the majority shareholder.

Speaking to CNBC, Usmanov said: "I want to take this opportunity to just reaffirm that in order to help the team, we would be ready to buy more shares, to buy control, to buy all shares.

"We are ready to do all that we can in order to help the company, in order to consider any form of co-operation or ownership with the team.

"If I have a big stake in Arsenal of course I have my opinion what we must do, for example in the commercial side there are many questions over the effectiveness of the commercial side of Arsenal today, but we will see, we will wait and maybe when I wake up some day I have this Arsenal club.

"I always tell Mr Wenger he is one of the best coaches and football managers in the world, but I openly admit he has many, many difficulties to contend with.

"This decision [selling Van Persie] was a mistake. If I am one of Wenger's players, I would want to stay for the finish, but he explained Robin wanted to go to win trophies."
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:27 am

I agree with Chris Chan about wanting the club to be run the right away and that I can't understand how people can jump on the "Usmanov bandwagon".

However, I am pretty tired of Wenger's spin as well - this is just his way of saying, "Look chaps, don't get too excited, we won't be signing anyone meaningful."

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:30 am

Meshaal wrote:I agree with Chris Chan about wanting the club to be run the right away and that I can't understand how people can jump on the "Usmanov bandwagon".

However, I am pretty tired of Wenger's spin as well - this is just his way of saying, "Look chaps, don't get too excited, we won't be signing anyone meaningful."

And ofcourse after we fuck up spectacularly, he will resort to saying stuff like he believes we had the quality but were unfortunate with injuries to key players at key times which left us a little short.

The board will ofcourse come out and say Wenger has always had money to spend and has a 50-60 million GBP "war-chest" for the summer transfer window and Wenger can get the "cheque book" out for any player he feels has "exceptional quality".

Repeat cycle.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 am

Meshaal wrote:
Meshaal wrote:I agree with Chris Chan about wanting the club to be run the right away and that I can't understand how people can jump on the "Usmanov bandwagon".

And ofcourse after we fuck up spectacularly, he will resort to saying stuff like he believes we had the quality but were unfortunate with injuries to key players at key times which left us a little short.

The board will ofcourse come out and say Wenger has always had money to spend and has a 50-60 million GBP "war-chest" for the summer transfer window and Wenger can get the "cheque book" out for any player he feels has "exceptional quality".

Repeat cycle.

Maybe its all true.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:34 am

Netherlands legend Johan Cruyff believes Arsenal would make a big mistake if they sacked manager Arsene Wenger.
The 63-year-old Wenger has experienced his worst start to a season with the Gunners, yet his side are still third in the Premier League and will face Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League.

And while the Frenchman has come under heavy criticism this season from fans and pundits, Cruyff believes Wenger is the right man to lead the club back to trophies.

"I cannot even imagine the board or the fans would ever think for a moment of putting (Wenger's) position in doubt," Cruyff told reporters.

"I find it incredible that Arsenal have stayed at the highest level of European competition and England under his management without ever ending up in debt.

"People do not realise the achievement of this manager at Arsenal. Wenger will always bring the club back to the top."

Cruyff compared Wenger's role at Arsenal to that of Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, hailing the philosophy of the two English clubs as more sides adopt a short-term view regarding coaching staff.

He added: "I have so much respect for the football vision and philosophy at Manchester United and Arsenal. Both clubs have had the same manager for 15 or 25 years.

"(United manager) Alex Ferguson is not only the man who makes sure he performs miracles and keeps trophies flowing in. He, in my eyes, is also the symbol of values Manchester United stands for. In the same breath, I speak about Arsene Wenger."

The former Dutch forward suggested that more clubs should look at how Wenger maintains the Gunners' budget in the age of Financial Fair Play regulations.

"I cannot remember red figures at Arsenal over the last 15 years," Cruyff said.

"How many clubs in Europe can say they have qualified for the Champions League for 16 consecutive seasons under the same management? Arsene Wenger has put his life and soul into Arsenal.

"In 15 years, I have not seen him make any irresponsible purchases in the transfer market.

"That is why the work of Arsene Wenger at Arsenal is the prime example for every club in Europe."

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/December/23/cruyff-hails-wenger-record/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:53 am

Mike York wrote:Netherlands legend Johan Cruyff believes Arsenal would make a big mistake if they sacked manager Arsene Wenger.
The 63-year-old Wenger has experienced his worst start to a season with the Gunners, yet his side are still third in the Premier League and will face Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League.

And while the Frenchman has come under heavy criticism this season from fans and pundits, Cruyff believes Wenger is the right man to lead the club back to trophies.

"I cannot even imagine the board or the fans would ever think for a moment of putting (Wenger's) position in doubt," Cruyff told reporters.

"I find it incredible that Arsenal have stayed at the highest level of European competition and England under his management without ever ending up in debt.

"People do not realise the achievement of this manager at Arsenal. Wenger will always bring the club back to the top."

Cruyff compared Wenger's role at Arsenal to that of Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, hailing the philosophy of the two English clubs as more sides adopt a short-term view regarding coaching staff.

He added: "I have so much respect for the football vision and philosophy at Manchester United and Arsenal. Both clubs have had the same manager for 15 or 25 years.

"(United manager) Alex Ferguson is not only the man who makes sure he performs miracles and keeps trophies flowing in. He, in my eyes, is also the symbol of values Manchester United stands for. In the same breath, I speak about Arsene Wenger."

The former Dutch forward suggested that more clubs should look at how Wenger maintains the Gunners' budget in the age of Financial Fair Play regulations.

"I cannot remember red figures at Arsenal over the last 15 years," Cruyff said.

"How many clubs in Europe can say they have qualified for the Champions League for 16 consecutive seasons under the same management? Arsene Wenger has put his life and soul into Arsenal.

"In 15 years, I have not seen him make any irresponsible purchases in the transfer market.

"That is why the work of Arsene Wenger at Arsenal is the prime example for every club in Europe."

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/December/23/cruyff-hails-wenger-record/

SPOT ON!
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Quite brilliant really

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:19 am

It just seams we are going to be left as we are and arsenal will progress in this manner until targets we know none of are met...

Then and only then we our voices be herd.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 pm

'We want to do so well that we're uptight'

on Koscielny's red card…
What I make of the decision is not really important. We have to live with the decision. I was surprised. Honestly. I refuse to watch it again because what does it help now? We have to live with the decision and make the maximum of it. I will watch it again. I've heard it was a penalty. Was it a red card? I don't know.

on the performance...
Overall we started too timidly, with not enough authority in a game like that, and we allowed them to dictate from the start. We paid very early from it. We didn't start with enough confidence or enough authority. When you play at home in a game like this you have to dictate your personality, which we did not do, especially defensively. After that, we played 80 minutes with 10 against 11 against a good team, and it's difficult. But then again, on both of goals I think we could have done better. It's frustrating because the team afterwards showed great heart, gave everything and showed great desire, but we're a bit too nervous to play in a serene way at home and that shows in the way we start the games.

on being frustrated...
It's not anger because the players want to do well. It's just the fact that we need to be a bit more confident in this kind of game. We want to do so well that we are a bit uptight. It's not anger, it's frustration that you do not see from the start what this team is capable of. Afterwards, you make it basically difficult for yourselves at 2-0 down with 10 against 11, it's massive. If we had taken 100 per cent of our chances we'd still have come back. Giroud had a header, Walcott had a chance. If we'd put it in, maybe. But it's too difficult.

on what positives he can take…
The spirit was positive. We had a great response in the second half. Abou Diaby came through well, got better and better, and Wilshere is coming back to an outstanding level, so that was very positive.

on whether Wilshere was targeted...
I hope not. I didn't get that sense in the game. He has a game that provokes tackles: he's incisive, he goes forward. But you could see he has found a burst when he's on the ball that is very interesting. It would have been interesting if it had stayed at 11 against 11.

on fighting for a top-four place...
We are in there, of course. We have to fight to do as well as possible until the end of the season. I feel we need to find in this kind of game more defensive stability. The way we gave the ball away today, it was a combination of a combination of a lack of concentration and a bit of awareness.

on Mikel Arteta...
He has a scan on Monday, [he will be out for] approximately three weeks. It is a strain on his calf. Of course [it's a blow]. In midfield he gives us stability, experience and tactical knowledge. We will miss that.

on making signings...
We are in the market. To find players of a calibre of Arteta, available in January, I wish you good luck. We try very hard, believe me. We have a team around me who analyse everything. We select targets, I watch them... But it's difficult to speak about any names.

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry hopes he can return to the club following his spell in the US and has voiced his concern for criticism of manager Arsene Wenger.

Wenger has managed the London club for more than 16 years who, under the Frenchman, have won three premier League titles.

The last title, however, was in 2004 when Henry was the league's top scorer with 30 goals.

Henry, 35, who currently plays for MLS side New York Red Bulls, has rubbished criticism of Arsene Wenger from both fans and pundits this season.

"When you don't win people are always going to question your work, your legacy and what you did before. It is sad somehow but that is the way the game is. What are you going to do? " Henry told Reuters in an interview.

"For me, it is difficult to hear, difficult to see, but for me the boss will always be Arsene - always great for me and I know what he has done for the club," he said.

Arsenal have won three of their last four matches, which puts them within four points of fierce local rivals Tottenham Hotspur.

But the French striker, who enjoyed eight seasons with Arsenal, scoring 175 goals, believes the 63-year-old Frenchman deserves more respect for his achievements at the north London club.

"You are always going to get judged on your last performance or what you are doing at the moment (but) for me it is kind of hard to criticise Arsene Wenger, knowing what he has done for the club, how he has changed the club and how the team is playing right now compared to how the team was playing before.

"But if you don't win people are always going to create a problem," he added.

Henry, who spent a loan spell at Arsenal last year in the MLS close season and spent time training with the club this year, said he would love to return in some capacity in the future.

"All I know is that I will be involved in the game for sure and hopefully be involved with Arsenal because that is the heart talking there, that's the team that I support. Forget about me as a player, that's the team I support," he said.

"In any type or shape, if I can go back to the club I would love to do it, but it's not up to me. That would be a desire, more a desire than something that can be officialised, I still have two years playing here and then I will see.

"But I would definitely love to be back with Arsenal," he said.

The Red Bulls kick off their MLS season at the Portland Timbers on March 3 and Henry hopes his team can finally win a title after seeing L.A. Galaxy win the past two championships.

"Last year all went home being sad. Whether you make the playoffs or you don't, the most important thing is to win," said Henry.

"There is only one winner, one team that is going to go home happy, so that was again L.A. So we're going to have to try to fight hard and to perform," he said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/thierry-henry-saddened-by-criticism-of-arsene-wenger-and-hopes-for-arsenal-return-8494420.html
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 am

David Dein's appearance on Sky's Footballers Football Show makes very interesting listening for Arsenal fans right now as the former vice-chairman talks frankly about Wenger's resistance to buying big.

Last week, David Dein took time away from tanning to appear on Sky’s ‘Footballers Football Show‘. Alongside helicopter enthusiast David Gold and former Liverpool Managing Director Christian Purslow, the former Arsenal Vice Chairman discussed financial fair play, before the topic inevitably turned to Arsenal.

This is not the re-cycled, template plea to bring back Dein on the back of the latest embarrassment. For all that Arsène might his good friends input, Dein is far from the faultless saviour that the failures since he sold his shares might illuminate.

Would Arsenal fair better with Dein still involved? Perhaps. But why would Dein have prevented the sale Robin Van Persie when he lost Ashley Cole for the sake of an extra £5k per week?

I digress. Whilst Dein inevitably shied away from answering the questions of real interest, there were moments of note which make the podcast worth downloading.

Both Purslow and Gold were full of admiration for the way in which Arsenal are run, and the platform they find themselves able to build from. Purslow is enthusiastic as to the “brave” decision of the Arsenal board in the mid-nineties for pushing ahead with the stadium move, patting Dein on the back whilst ignorant to his preference to rent Wembley from the FA.

So why have Arsenal failed to win anything since Dein’s departure?

“It’s harder now, but I know that Arsène is more focused than he has ever been to bring success to Arsenal Football Club.” Dein cites the billionaire emergence Man City and Chelsea changing the footballing landscape, and providing Arsenal with more than ‘just’ Manchester United to compete with for players and honours.

The emergence of billionaire owned clubs whilst Arsenal are paying off the stadium was most untimely. The simple symmetry of silver-less seasons since moving home is lost on too many. Stay at Highbury then? No, bless her, we’d have even less chance of competing now.

Purslow presses Dein on two points. Stadium debt is now at a manageable level, TV money is about to go through the roof, and increased sponsorship deals will soon top up match day revenues of £93m. With revenue “exploding”, will Arsène Wenger ever spend the going rate for a world class player? Dein’s answer suggested no.

“Arsène is a teacher. He takes a good player and makes them excellent, he takes an excellent player and makes them world class.”

This doesn’t explain what he does with Squlliacci, but of more concern is my interpretation that Arsenal will me never financially match City, Chelsea or Manchester United whilst Arsène Wenger is in charge and the board are happy to do it on the cheap whilst Champions League football is obtained. It relies too heavily on Financial Fair play restricting the expenditure of others and expects Arsène to be continually turn the good to world class.

This is too difficult now. See Juan Mata for an example. The player himself thought he was an Arsenal player, until Roman’s roubles decided otherwise. Not only are Arsenal and Arsène not prepared to spend the money to sign the world class, we are also squeezed out of signing the next tier of players. Santi Cazorla is a recent exception to this by way of Malaga’s difficulties, but would Arsenal would have signed Henry, Vieira or Pires, for Arsène to turn into world class players, in todays landscape? Once Manchester City or Chelsea catch wind of our interest and offer both club and player more, we lose out.

Referencing the “exploding revenue” once more, Purslow asks Dein why Arsenal were on the wrong side of the Robin Van Persie transfer when they themselves could comfortably afford both the transfer fee and the salary. Missing the simple answer ‘because the player wanted to leave and made sure he did’, Dein uncomfortably mumbles “well that’s another issue, too political for me to get into”.

The sale seems to rankle Dein as much as it still does the fans. My feeling is that Dein’s disgruntlement also reflects that of his good friend. How angry must Arsène still be, having to sell one of his good signings just as he turned world class? Would it be any different with Dein at the club? I doubt it, but Dein almost certainly thinks it would be if Usmanov was allowed to invest in the playing side as he has to acquire 30% of shares.

Dein introduced both Stan Kroenke and Alisher Usmanov to Arsenal Football Club, aware of the changing landscape and fond of cashing in his own shares. Arsenal have two billionaires, one won’t talk to the other. One won’t spend that which defines the label ‘billionaire’, the other isn’t allowed to prove his talk isn’t cheap.

“I hope that at some point there is a dialogue between the two. He (Usmanov) virtually owns one in three seats in the stadium, but doesn’t have a seat on the board.” Dein would say as much. A seat on the board for Usmanov would surely renew his own involvement.

Will Dein ever return? ”I’ll be returning on Saturday for the FA Cup game against Blackburn.”

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/reportage/david-dein-wenger-will-never-pay-for-world-class-players/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=david-dein-wenger-will-never-pay-for-world-class-players
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:49 am

I see somebody decided to post a very amusing article on yahoo today....

Had me in stitches!!.........here it is.....

Arsenal announce to plan to donate future profits to shut everyone up.

After revealing a £17.8 million pre-tax profit for the six months to the end of November 2012 and a cash reserve of £123 million, Arsenal announced that they will donate all of the club's profits to a London children's charity.

"Everyone keeps telling us to spend, spend, spend," manager Arsene Wenger told reporters. "Well, now we will. But instead of spending it on overpriced and overpaid footballers in the pursuit of ultimately worthless trophies, we are putting the money to good use and giving it all to a local children's charity. So there you go. You can't complain about us not buying top players now because you'll look like an awful person if you do. Suck on that for a while."

"Would watching grown men win a pot make you feel better than allowing a needy child to eat or sleep in a warm bed at night?" asked Wenger. "Would it? Nothing to say now, huh?No clever joke about empty trophy cabinets to tell in a Facebook tweet? That's what I thought."

Arsenal fans have grown increasingly impatient with the club after going eight years without winning any silverware and selling off some of their best players while ticket prices are the highest in the Premier League. Complaints have only increased as Arsenal currently sit fifth in the table and were knocked out of the FA Cup by Championship side Blackburn.

"We've been urging the club to put the cash reserves to good use for some time now," said a spokesman for the Arsenal Supporters Trust. "And we are proud that the club is helping a wonderful cause. Definitely, really proud. But... Football... Football is, uh... Well..."

When one journalist asked if Arsenal's decision was inspired by David Beckham's recent announcement that he would donate his entire PSG salary to a Parisian children's charity, Wenger gave him the finger and walked out.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Arsenal fans question Arsene Wenger's future as manager

Arsene Wenger should not be offered a new contract as Arsenal boss, according to the Arsenal Supporters' Trust (AST).
The Gunners have not spent any money in the transfer window and lost 3-1 at home to Aston Villa on the opening day.
"Chief executive Ivan Gazidis has spoken of the intent to offer Wenger a new contract. We believe this is inappropriate," read an AST statement.
"The entire focus must be on using the remaining days of the transfer window to strengthen the team significantly."
The AST is the club's official supporters trust and has about 1100 members, including many small shareholders.
Wenger was appointed Arsenal manager in October 1996 and his contract ends in May 2014.
Play media

Everything went against us - Wenger
Arsenal have told BBC Sport that they will not be commenting on the AST statement.
The club qualified for the Champions League in each of the past 16 campaigns but their most recent trophy was the 2005 FA Cup.
After securing fourth place in the Premier League on the final day of last season, Gazidis revealed the board was ready to spend big after an "escalation in our financial firepower" created by new television and sponsorship deals.
But Arsenal's only summer signing to date is the 20-year-old French striker Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer from Ligue 1 side Auxerre, with numerous players leaving the Emirates Stadium.
The AST has called on the club to invest some of their available money - they have a reported cash balance of £154m, which is almost as much as the rest of the other 19 clubs in the Premier League combined.
"Ambitious football clubs invest the money they receive from their fans, and sometimes their owners, to make themselves stronger," said the AST

"Arsenal supporters pay some of the highest ticket prices in world football, providing the club with considerable financial resources, but the ambition and ability to use them appear to be missing.
"The fact that there is money available for squad-strengthening is not disputed. The AST's independent analysis suggests that the amount is somewhere between £70m-£100m."
It also wants American owner Stan Kroenke to take decisive action.
"Stan Kroenke does not attend many Arsenal matches nor seem to have the time to devote to the affairs of Arsenal," the statement continued.
"But it is clear to all that the football personnel he is ultimately responsible for are failing. The AST calls on him to appoint an independent expert to conduct a review of all football functions at Arsenal.
"Clearly the interaction between our scouting, negotiating and player purchasing processes are failing and need urgent improvement.
"A decision on whether to offer an extension to the manager's contract, which ends in May 2014, should only be taken following the closing of the transfer window and assessment of the team's performances.
"Considerable improvement must be shown for us to be convinced this should happen."
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:17 am

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 am

Arsene Wenger - Page 8 Arsene_Wenger_17

An infographic on Wenger's time at Arsenal.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:18 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Arsene Wenger - Page 8 Arsene_Wenger_17

An infographic on Wenger's time at Arsenal.
That quote in the top right is of super exceptional quality.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Shall we make a rule that any post in this thread must be in Wenger or Wenger Knows Best language?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Shall we make a rule that any post in this thread must be in Wenger or Wenger Knows Best language?
no bashing....agreed

lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next