Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsene Wenger

+40
Meshaal
Gopi
Subrat Koirala
DaveToffy
richard.fallaize
Jason Morrison
jason.mandryk
janelle.noel
ChippyBrady
Mario
Mohamed Samir
vyom.chaudhary
nick t
Mike York
Justin Chew
danny.ceurvels
Alejandro Perreira
John Foxall
Chris Chan
Vijay Saibola
Rima_Ikuy
Zaid Derweesh
Callum Hind
nick koupparis
Joey Schwab
Jonathan Prendergast
Sami Rockfeller
Pat McMenimen
Samritpal Singh
Jenson Pais
Liam Bermingham
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Schatzky
Evan Mullins
Christopher Flanagan
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Michael Foster
ralph avedikian
Hisham El Mawan
Alan Dawson
44 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Arsene Wenger - Page 7 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger

Post by Mike York Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:19 pm

I watched this week'd Sunday Supplement and that John Richardson talked bollocks all the way through it.

I have a feeling he is anti-Arsenal anyway as at one point Henry Winter said to him "I know you don't like Arsenal but...".
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Oh he is totally anti arsenal....this is what cracks me up about half of the journalism that's so called reported is by the anti brigade...fair enough state valid points...but cut out the absolute shit....just making them selves look mugs by us....and well the nodders and agreers obviously know fuck all about football and the running of arsenal....

Brian woolnough is another cunt high up on my list of pricks that spout crap...man u cock sucking whore....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:01 am

journalists with no intelligence just regurgitate past narratives as they can't come up with anything decent themselves.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:14 am

Michael Foster wrote:Brian woolnough is another cunt high up on my list of pricks that spout crap...man u cock sucking whore....

Hate is a strong word but I hated him. His face, his hair, his voice, his mannerisms, everything. He actually perked up and looked pleased whenever he said something bad to say about Arsenal. I was really happy he didn't host this week's show, hopefully the new guy (journo who has been on it before but forgot his name) has replaced him.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 am

Yer fully agree it's like some kind of weird kick he gets out of slagging us off.....freakish in some ways....almost expect him to break down into some kind of crying laughter fit...
Just imagine him...'and I said Wenger is useless...HAHA! USELESSSSS...YAAAAAHAAAAHAAAA.

Fucking sickening watching him talk about arsenal that way...some of columns in the sun he writes are extraordinary...how it's printed is beyond me...most of it is self deluded cockshite..while the rest is stats....

The guy is weird...

If the sun were to sack him I would prob read the paper again as a few of the other journalists there are quite truthfull and informative..
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:50 am

Just looked it up and read in a few places he is a Spurs fan. Not shocked.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:16 am

Mike York wrote:Just looked it up and read in a few places he is a Spurs fan. Not shocked.

Confirmed.....

Utter cunt.

Haha...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 am

The end of an era as far as I'm concerned. Wenger, I love you, but it's time to go. We're utter shite and money has nothing to do with it. Last time I checked, fucking Swansea weren't being supported by an Arab billionaire.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 am

Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:The end of an era as far as I'm concerned. Wenger, I love you, but it's time to go. We're utter shite and money has nothing to do with it. Last time I checked, fucking Swansea weren't being supported by an Arab billionaire.

Wenger is losing support fast - I am finding it hard to support him anymore and right now he is just only killing his own legacy.

At any other club, he would be sacked or asked / made to resign in the next few days, but doubt that will happen at Arsenal.

Simple fact is we are 10th in the league after 15 games and even the football is not pretty anymore.

If he is sacked, can we find a quality manager to take over the club half way through the season?

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:04 am

Meshaal wrote:
Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:The end of an era as far as I'm concerned. Wenger, I love you, but it's time to go. We're utter shite and money has nothing to do with it. Last time I checked, fucking Swansea weren't being supported by an Arab billionaire.

Wenger is losing support fast - I am finding it hard to support him anymore and right now he is just only killing his own legacy.

At any other club, he would be sacked or asked / made to resign in the next few days, but doubt that will happen at Arsenal.

Simple fact is we are 10th in the league after 15 games and even the football is not pretty anymore.

If he is sacked, can we find a quality manager to take over the club half way through the season?

I have argued before that only Wenger can do the job he has done (on the budget) but it would soon be time to hand over a financially healthy club over to a younger, hungrier manager - at the end of the season after guiding us back to 4th spot.

At this rate, we wont have the luxury to let him continue till the end of the season.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:07 am

I'd rather leave him until the end of the season and then bring in Klopp/Guardiola the obvious names, but at this rate, that seems to be hard.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:48 am

I just want the old buggar to play two up front, and teach someone to bloody defend!!!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:34 am

Jenks1981 wrote:I just want the old buggar to play two up front, and teach someone to bloody defend!!!

Two up front. Yes please.

teaching someone to defend? In my dreams.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Exciting times. As much as we suck right now and as much as I loved the man, this will most likely be Wenger's last season at the club.

From next season we can begin challenging for titles again.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 am

Meshaal wrote:Exciting times. As much as we suck right now and as much as I loved the man, this will most likely be Wenger's last season at the club.

Arsene Wenger isnt the square root of our problems Meshaal.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 am

Jenks1981 wrote:
Meshaal wrote:Exciting times. As much as we suck right now and as much as I loved the man, this will most likely be Wenger's last season at the club.

At this point, I feel he is one of the major factors holding the team back. Over the last few seasons we have had teams which should have done better but fell short for one reason or the other.

Part of the reason I want him to step down at the end of this season - regardless of our league position, which works both ways and I do feel he should be allowed to carry on till the end of the season - is that he has done so many wonderful things at the club and at this point is only tarnishing his own legacy. Doubt many other managers would have been able to see us through the period where we had financial constraints but a younger and hungrier man is now needed to take the team forward.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 am

Meshaal wrote:
Jenks1981 wrote:

At this point, I feel he is one of the major factors holding the team back. Over the last few seasons we have had teams which should have done better but fell short for one reason or the other.

Part of the reason I want him to step down at the end of this season - regardless of our league position, which works both ways and I do feel he should be allowed to carry on till the end of the season - is that he has done so many wonderful things at the club and at this point is only tarnishing his own legacy. Doubt many other managers would have been able to see us through the period where we had financial constraints but a younger and hungrier man is now needed to take the team forward.

And on a sincere note, I am curious as to what your perspective is. Is the board to blame and to what extent? I can not blame the players anymore, hardly any players around anymore who have been at the club for the last 5 or 6 season.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:34 am

I wouldn't begin thinking that as soon as Wenger leaves we'll suddenly be an amazing team again. Could easily end up disappointed.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 am

Yes but I would rather be optimistic Razz

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 am

I'm with you on that. The miserable, pessimistic fans who look for reasons to moan piss me off. But I think too much of the teams problems are being directed at Wenger. He has to take some blame sure but I do believe he is being made a scapegoat for some Board problems. A new manager won't be much different in terms of doing what the Board wants financially.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 am

Mike York wrote:I'm with you on that. The miserable, pessimistic fans who look for reasons to moan piss me off. But I think too much of the teams problems are being directed at Wenger. He has to take some blame sure but I do believe he is being made a scapegoat for some Board problems. A new manager won't be much different in terms of doing what the Board wants financially.

The last part is a big worry. I would hope that whoever comes in next is less of a martyr and puts up more of a fight against the board for more funds to buy players and maybe take a few risks.

Wenger took on too much responsibility and made his own life miserable - its pains to see him / us go through this.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 am

Yes, we could end up being disappointed by a new manager but a) things are getting more and more mediocre as they are and most of the plan since 2005 has had Wenger's blessing etc so he who lives by the sword.... and b) sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. If we're afraid of change forever then we'll definitely not improve.

2+2=5 for those who try to ascertain that this more the board's fault than Wenger's, therefore defending him despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The most damning evidence is the a) inability to improve defensively, b) wet team lacking in character and instinct that is put out too often, c) lack of tactical discipline and drilling - Jurgen Klopp (just one example, I'm not obsessed by him in particular) isn't a magician, just a very good coach, what we need, d) the inability to address major squad problems - MANUEL ALMUNIA WTF? Where is the DM? and e) the selling off of all senior players, a process set in motion by A.W. himself. He thought he was making the right decision at the time, but it's added to our lack of direction. Can anyone name a successful team that didn't have experienced players in it? Specifically no home-grown experienced players or experienced signings that have been at the club for years? Finally, I don't know how big a part he played in the decision to reduce the gap from highest to lowest earner at the club, but it's been a stinker. It makes it impossible to get rid of players who we no longer need. Given that even a squad signing (Squillaci) is paid way above the odds, we simply can't get rid of them. Genius economic plan that one.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 am

I just realized that Janet Jackson was quoted at the beginning of this thread.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:25 am

The secret life of Arsene Wenger: How Gunners boss takes it for the team
A different sort of manager, a different sort of man – and there are many in football – would have started pointing the finger of blame at the club PLUS Roman Abramovich's blundering

Thirty years ago, the film director Robert Altman made a movie called Secret Honor, set around ex-President Richard Nixon and the Watergate Scandal.

Secret Honor put forward the idea that Nixon set up Watergate himself so his downfall would ruin the plans of a cabal of businessmen who controlled him and wanted him to continue the war in Vietnam.

He suffered the public disgrace and took the hit to stop more American lives being lost. He chose secret honour. He sacrificed himself.

It was far-fetched. The nobility of the gesture is too much to comprehend when set against the scale of his disgrace.

Not much relevance to football, perhaps. Not now, anyway, when people tend to pass the blame better than the ball.

Not now, when we live in an age of diuretic disclosure and an exaggerated sense of self where the idea of secret honour has come to seem increasingly strange.

Not much relevance in an age of engineered public humiliation, instant gratification and brutal social judgment.

Except, I think Arsene Wenger has chosen secret honour at Arsenal.

I think he’s staying silent where other managers would turn around and point the finger at their club. I think he’s keeping quiet where other managers might brief against the chief executive. I think he’s taking the heat when, actually, he doesn’t really deserve it.

Sure, I keep hearing the claims about how much money Arsenal have got in reserve. And I keep hearing people saying that the problem is Wenger is just too stubborn to go out and spend it.

But the notion that he could go out and buy the best players in the world if he wanted to but chooses to sit on his hands instead is deluded.

Arsenal pay big wages, we all know that, so it is not as if Wenger is philosophically opposed to spending the club’s cash.

But, despite the vague assertions made by Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, no one knows how much Wenger has available to spend.

What we do know is that in the last 20 years, Arsenal are 15th in the list of biggest net spenders in the Premier League. They are behind Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool. That’s a given.

But they have also spent less than West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Everton, Fulham and Sunderland.

That is the reality that Wenger has to work with. The simple truth is that, financially, Arsenal simply will not compete with the teams considered their direct rivals.

The reality is also that those teams are only still considered their direct rivals because, somehow, Wenger has kept Arsenal within touching distance of them.

While his competitors have wallowed in an ocean of splurge, Wenger’s success built a new stadium for Arsenal.

And once it had been built, he abided by a policy of fiscal prudence to help pay off the debts incurred in the construction.

So why does Wenger get all the blame? Why are more questions not asked of majority shareholder Stan Kroenke?

Why is more pressure not being exerted upon the club’s American owner to back his manager with the kind of money they need to mount a realistic title challenge?

Instead, some Arsenal fans take out their frustrations on the greatest manager they have ever had.

And through it all, Wenger has taken the heat. He has never complained about money. He has never blamed Kroenke, Gazidis or the club hierarchy.

The last couple of years, he has felt the anger beginning to grow at The Emirates as he has lost many of his leading stars.

He has felt the disillusion setting in as another year has slipped by without winning a trophy.

And still he has never complained. Still he has never sought to pass the buck, leaving others to observe that Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League in every one of Wenger’s 16 years in charge.

Amid the criticism aimed at him over the club’s faltering league position, Arsenal completed their Champions League group stage last night with a dead rubber against Olympiacos in Athens and sailed into the knockout stage.

That’s the same knockout stage that will not be featuring Manchester City, in case you forgot, and which may yet elude Chelsea, too.

To many of us, it still seems clear that Wenger is a wonderful club’s biggest asset. By a long way.

It’s why Real Madrid have courted him. It is why PSG are rumoured to be preparing a move for him now.

Without him, without his energy and his brilliance, if Arsenal pursued the same fiscal policy they do now, they would finish consistently outside the top four. But because Wenger loves the club too much to allow it to turn in on itself, because he loves the club too much to start a civil war, he keeps his counsel.

He has chosen secret honour and for that he deserves our admiration, not our scorn.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-has-chosen-secret-honour-1472689

http://justarsenal.com/wenger-cannot-win-at-arsenal/18705 - also raises a couple decent points.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 am

Jenks1981 wrote:I just want the old buggar to play two up front, and teach someone to bloody defend!!!

Yeah, I feel that a managerial change would just set us back right now. We need to stop playing like Cesc Fabregas is still in the middle of the park for us and switch back to a good old 4-4-2. And apparently our defenders are self-coached?

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next