Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsene Wenger

+40
Meshaal
Gopi
Subrat Koirala
DaveToffy
richard.fallaize
Jason Morrison
jason.mandryk
janelle.noel
ChippyBrady
Mario
Mohamed Samir
vyom.chaudhary
nick t
Mike York
Justin Chew
danny.ceurvels
Alejandro Perreira
John Foxall
Chris Chan
Vijay Saibola
Rima_Ikuy
Zaid Derweesh
Callum Hind
nick koupparis
Joey Schwab
Jonathan Prendergast
Sami Rockfeller
Pat McMenimen
Samritpal Singh
Jenson Pais
Liam Bermingham
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Schatzky
Evan Mullins
Christopher Flanagan
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Michael Foster
ralph avedikian
Hisham El Mawan
Alan Dawson
44 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Arsene Wenger - Page 5 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 am

I bet the people that Arsene sees day to day do not abuse him. He is only rarely exposed to it. Many people he meets would eat out of his hand.

Anyway, regarding the question whether we have the money, I believe the answer is simple, yet 2 fold:

1. Just like any person in every day life, you can take a route of being in debt, or you can spend what you have. Most professionals over 30 could go and get finance to buy a BMW. So they could do it. But would it really be affordable? Would it restrict other spending in their life too much? Would it mean they aren't able to get a loan for a house? It is the same for the club. Sure they could go and spend 80m on 2-3 players, but the club would be repaying it over many years. The club has taken a path of not going into this sort of (bad) debt. Over 100 years, if you take this path, you save a lot of interest, money which can be spent on buying players.

2. It's not just about the transfer fee that a nice new superstar player costs, its the wages. I think Wenger would have challenged Chelsea (a while) for Mata if it was just about transfer fee. But he knew that Chelsea would also offer Mata a huge salary too, an in the auction of the player, the wages would sky rocket way above anyone who is at Arsenal. So Wenger backed off, and Chelsea got their man. I think the wage structure needs to be revised, so the best players are rewarded, but I also agree with AW that some control needs to be kept on it.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:35 am

If its wage structure , people like chamakh and the rest of the deadwood should be on 20k or so until proven. Even Walcott. Our wage structure and rewarding of below par players worries me.

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Justin Chew wrote:If its wage structure , people like chamakh and the rest of the deadwood should be on 20k or so until proven. Even Walcott. Our wage structure and rewarding of below par players worries me.

It's hard to make comment without knowing the full details. It is also unfair to make examples of 1 player. Every club has had a player on high wages that doesn't perform.

To make transfers happen, it takes a transfer fee to keep the selling club happy, and a wage proposal to attract the player. Clubs probably pay 10k a week more than a player is really worth a lot of the time to get the bid over the line.

My impression is Wenger has chosen to pay 10k per week extra in cases like Ramsey, The Ox, Walcott rather than 20-30k per week extra in cases like Mata or Cahill.

Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:

My impression is Wenger has chosen to pay 10k per week extra in cases like Ramsey, The Ox, Walcott rather than 20-30k per week extra in cases like Mata or Cahill.

that's exactly what's happening now, people like bendtner thinking they are the next van basten, Ramsey,Walcott ,Arshavin all seems to be pretty comfortable where they are and not really having to fight for anything ATM.

we need some kinda fine for below par performances then.

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Justin Chew wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote:

that's exactly what's happening now, people like bendtner thinking they are the next van basten, Ramsey,Walcott ,Arshavin all seems to be pretty comfortable where they are and not really having to fight for anything ATM.

we need some kinda fine for below par performances then.

That's ridiculous, you can't fine players for not being up to snuff. And Ramsey, I frankly don't see why he is getting so much slack this is his first full season for us you can't expect him to put in world class football without even having a season or two under his belt.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 am

picking out Ramsey is unfair. he is one of the hardest workers in the team. it is not a lack of effort that you are suggesting. i have no doubt ramsey will improve and be an excellent player. just needs a few of those chances to go in.

as for walcott, he has been mothered from day 1. maybe he needs some tough love.

Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Tough love is the exact word I'm looking for.

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Olympic Lyon coach Remi Garde believes that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has what it takes to bring success to the nation's football team.

Current France manager Laurent Blanc's contract with the French Football Federation (FFF) expires at the end of the upcoming Euro 2012 campaign and it's still not sure whether he will remain in his position after that.
Numerous candidates have been suggested to replace Blanc should he leave the post and Garde, who was also one of those named, feels that Wenger has the attributes that will make ihim a good coach for the national team.

Speaking to RMC, Garde said: "Wenger as the new national team coach? I believe that position would suit him well.

"He knows European football very well, and also has good knowledge of world football and the French players because he follows the league closely.

"He would definitely be an interesting option in case Blanc leaves his position. He is a very big name in the world of football."

As yet, Blanc's position is by no means decided. FFF president Noel le Graet has stated that the former Bordeaux man's fate will depend on France's performance in Euro 2012.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item748763/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 am

It would be a nice challenge for him.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Justin Chew wrote:If its wage structure , people like chamakh and the rest of the deadwood should be on 20k or so until proven. Even Walcott. Our wage structure and rewarding of below par players worries me.

If we did that, no-one would join us. So, yeah, we might not have some dross like Diaby clogging the bench up, but there'd also have been no Fabregas, van Persie, Szczesny, Vermaelen... I could go on. These players aren't joining for the love (at first, with some exceptions).
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 am

“I accept one basic principle for every company and that’s that you can spend the money you make, and it looks always to be a massive surprise that I have to convince you of that."
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Former Arsenal manager Bruce Rioch has leapt to the defence of under-fire Gunners boss Arsene Wenger following the club’s Champions League humbling by AC Milan and insisted the Frenchman is better at his job than ever.

Rioch, who made way for Wenger at Arsenal in 1996, rallied behind the Emirates boss following the 4-0 rout at San Siro and maintained that the manager who succeeded him still has what it takes to enable the north London club to prosper.

“I am not one that is campaigning for Arsene to leave, that’s for sure,” Rioch told Goal.com.

“I think that he has done a magnificent job. He hasn’t got worse as a manager through the years. He has got better, he is more experienced.

“I don’t think it is time for him to go. Who is going to replace him and where are the resources? Would a replacement have the resources to do more than he has in terms of finance? To replace him you really would have to find a damned good manager.

Wenger has been criticised for not spending lavish sums on new players but Rioch argued that he should not be held solely responsible for the transfer strategy at the Emirates.

“In the broader sense, he has been criticised for not spending money regularly over the last season or two and because of that people are saying that he has not won a trophy for six years,” Rioch added.

“But we have to get lot of things in perspective. There is a balance between spending an awful lot of money and putting yourself in a situation that Rangers have just done and being a viable, solid football club.

“I know from my own experience at Middlesbrough the pain and the difficulties the club suffered when the club went into provisional liquidation in 1986.

“It was extremely damaging and hurtful to an awful lot of people. I get the feeling that a lot of other clubs up and down the country are on the brink as well but I do not think Arsenal are.”

Rioch, who brought Dennis Bergkamp to Arsenal, continued: “From the moment they moved from Highbury to the Emirates, there was an assumption that a bigger capacity and more corporate business would generate more money to spend on bigger players.

“But one has to remember that the stadium itself would have cost something like £300 million so there was a cost there to pay and unfortunately we are in an environment where most people think it is about win, win, win all the time, irrespective of how much it will cost and how much damage it is doing to the club.

“There has to be a balance somewhere down the line and through the past few years Arsene Wenger has ensured this along with the board because - and I do not think it is a one-sided scenario this – it is how much money has been available.”

Wenger’s players will be aiming to redeem themselves following their San Siro mauling in their FA Cup fifth-round tie at Sunderland on Saturday before turning their attention to maintaining a top-four place in the Premier League.

“The result in Milan was bitterly disappointing for everyone concerned with Arsenal Football Club,” Rioch said.

“I know that Arsene, the board, the players and the fans would have expected a better result in Milan but it wasn’t to be.

“It was clear from the post-match interview how hurt and pained Arsene was. It really had an effect on him to see his team go down 4-0.

“It is evident that the team they have at the moment is clearly not as good as the double-winning teams of the past but those teams were absolutely exceptional and the current team are suffering in comparison.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/17/2911015/arsene-wenger-has-done-a-magnificent-job-and-its-not-time
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nick t Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 pm

why are we all looking at what wenger is doing when we should look at our players. we know for a fact we have some quality players, yet they cannot produce. they make crap defenses look like all stars. there is no drive in these players, they need a kick in the ass. I'm tired of hearing "we need to win it for the fans." how about you go out there and win because you want to freaking win and do well.

although in the players' defense, it's hard to produce when your confidence is shot and 75% of your fans are berating you to do better. maybe this is partly the fans fault too. you can complain all you want, right now, nothing will happen from it

nick t
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by vyom.chaudhary Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 pm

anyone saw these quotes from arsene from post match interview..

this is from arseblog

And perhaps, for the first time, a hint from him that all is not right behind the scenes. Asked about the fact this is another season without silverware, he said:

" I do not want to speak too much about that, if you want we can speak a long time about it one day but at the moment we have to focus on our next game and try and win it."

vyom.chaudhary
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 am

nick t wrote:why are we all looking at what wenger is doing when we should look at our players. we know for a fact we have some quality players, yet they cannot produce. they make crap defenses look like all stars. there is no drive in these players, they need a kick in the ass. I'm tired of hearing "we need to win it for the fans." how about you go out there and win because you want to freaking win and do well.

although in the players' defense, it's hard to produce when your confidence is shot and 75% of your fans are berating you to do better. maybe this is partly the fans fault too. you can complain all you want, right now, nothing will happen from it

Well the only way to see it is everybody is to blame...they are all in it together...chairman,backroom staff,coaches,palyers,manager the whole lot....and also on note regarding transfers...who the hell is or chief scout??? He wants fucking shifting...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohamed Samir Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:33 am

I don't have a problem to see him leaving but is there anyone who would be better than him?, I really don't know.
Mohamed Samir
Mohamed Samir
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by nick koupparis Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 am

Yeah that Arsene Wenger he was good once! Crying or Very sad
nick koupparis
nick koupparis
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:34 am

Arsene Wenger has won the Manager of the Month for February - http://twitpic.com/8r1k4i

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 am

Glad for him. He's had to put up with some shit from fans and media this season, so it's nice to see stuff like this for a change.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 am

How times change lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:03 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:Arsene Wenger has won the Manager of the Month for February - http://twitpic.com/8r1k4i

He deserves it. He may mess up from time to time, but hey, he's human. He's not going to get everything right 100% of the time. But it would be completely ignorant to say that he isn't still a great manager.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:Arsene Wenger has won the Manager of the Month for February - http://twitpic.com/8r1k4i

He doesn't know what he's doing. Clearly.
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:49 am

ChippyBrady wrote:

He doesn't know what he's doing. Clearly.

Any idea when he won the last?
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by janelle.noel Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:57 am

February last year!

janelle.noel
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down