Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reserves / Youth Thread

+34
Min Shan
Jason Morrison
eyal.peer
Ashraf Peeran
Ravneet Singh
janelle.noel
jason.mandryk
Alex Hadjicharalampous
ralph avedikian
Adam Sisson
Liam Bermingham
Michael Foster
Sue Lee
Mike York
kique.canto
Jenson Pais
ChippyBrady
Sami Rockfeller
vyom.chaudhary
Stephen Mitchell
Steve Dawson
David Hung
Darcy Gorman
Joey Schwab
Zaid Derweesh
Jonathan Prendergast
Greg Waters
Samritpal Singh
Chris Chan
Jenks1981
Mohamed Samir
Christopher Flanagan
Vanig Bostanian
Mario
38 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Reserves / Youth Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Reserves / Youth Thread

Post by Chris Chan Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 am

How did Gnabry play and how was his goal? quite a talent at 16

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 am

I was there too. Easy game, no danger of West Brom hurting us and it was a matter of how many we would score. Which considering the players we had playing is not surprising.

Chamakh is done, yeah. Although it didn't need tonight to confirm. He had 3 chances, one a half chance and two where he should have scored. A one on one where he shot tamely at the keeper, but luckily we scored in the same move (cross back into the box hit Chamakh on the arse, who somehow got it out of his feet and Gnabry scored) and then he missed a sitter from 8 yards. Couldn't even get it on target. As for the rest of the game, the odd nice touch here and there but he just doesn't look like a good player. Never really a threat, not sure if he's even interested.

Park was ok I thought, his finish was nice although I think a Premiership keeper would have reacted better and saved it, but he was played out of position on the right wing and didn't really get in the game much. Gave the ball away a few times when he shouldn't, he didn't exactly stake his claim for a league start. Without the goal you wouldn't have noticed him that much.

Santos did fine, was blowing a bit but was in total control, going forward and defensively. Nice guy, is becoming a fans favourite.

Jenkinson was up and down the whole game but his crossing was pretty bad. His success rate wasn't good at all but maybe when you're aiming for a striker who doesn't really know what to do and where to go, it's harder. Was vocal at times, which is good to see.

And Djourou was in total control alongside Miquel.

As for the other players:

Gnabry - what an exciting talent! He's been getting some hype around his recent performances and I think tonight was the first time I've seen him play (not sure if I saw him once off the bench or something) and he was very good. Scored, was very good on the ball, technical and good dribbling ability and he seemed confident without being cocky. 16 years old, here's one to keep an eye on.

Yennaris/Ozyakup - Controlled the middle of the park, Yennaris as a DM who was sweeping up and getting tackles in before laying off the ball to someone else. He did it very well. Tenacious. Ozyakup did what he does, spreading the play, made an assist, always ticking things over looking for through balls.

Aneke - Not his best game for the reserves but that's because he has set himself some high standards. Did what he usually does; can pass and control in tight areas, hold the ball from defenders, look to create chances and he topped it off with a lovely goal. Still have some high hopes for him, not sure how his loan move to Stevenage turned out how it did, but he has talent.

Martinez - untested with anything serious, couple of bad passes though, almost letting WBA in. Distribution needs a bit of work.

Miquel - comfortable, not much to do at the back.

Szczesny and Coquelin were there supporting there teammates and there was a decent crowd too. The last reserve game (not sure if it's 1st of April or May, it may have been changed) might be the last at Underhill.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 am

Chris Chan wrote:How did Gnabry play and how was his goal? quite a talent at 16

Goal was a smash in from a few yards out after a bit of a scramble. Park's was a left footed shot from 20 yards out after he cut inside and Aneke was a 20 yarder which he bent into the far corner.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm sure the proper highlights will be up later today or tomorrow, but for now:

Gnabry goal: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/serge-gnarby-arsenal-reserves-v-west-brom/

Aneke goal: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/chuks-aneke-arsenal-reserves-v-west-brom/

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Do you go to a lot of Reserve games Mario? This was the first one I'd been to this season, I always forget that they're still played at Underhill cos they're usually played at the training ground now.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm

I do, Steve. Well, I try to. First started going in the 2009-10 season, I'd never been before that. Last season is when I tried to go to every possible game. Went at the start of the season before they moved back to the training ground and this was the first game back.

It's a shame that it looks like this might be the final season of games there as Barnet may be moving. Really enjoy these games.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 am

Barnet have got a one year extension at Underhill (they were originally having to move at the end of this season), so I expect the Reserves will be there again next season as well. You from around the area? I live 5 mins walk from Underhill.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:51 am

An extension, really?! I never heard about that. I just googled it, that's good news. Hopefully we have another season then. I don't live far, from Edmonton. 25-30mins drive usually, half that on the way back when there's no cars on the road.

What I like about going to Underhill is that it's a really old, historic ground and it just 'feels' like football, where the seats are really uncomfortable and there's not a 6 pound burger in sight. Plus you get to see some familiar faces that you see at home/away games and can bump into some players/coaches/Wenger (I met him last season). And you get to watch the next generation of players and night's like last night when first teamers play, and it's all for free!

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:02 am

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 am

It's good to hear that other players (first teamers) take the time out to see the younger ones play. Must really act as a lift for them, and its a good sign that the players have a real connection with the club and each other.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:41 am

Szczesny walked right past me as he was leaving last night (sneaking off early Razz) and he posed for pictures with a few kids who came up to him. I was tempted to rush from my seat to get one, but thought I would've looked a bit silly lining up with the kids to get a picture lol!

And yeah, Underhill really is a great stadium. It feels like a proper lower-league stadium, and has a lot of heart, like Highbury did for Arsenal. Maybe I'm thinking that cos I live so close, but I will be genuinely saddened when they move.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Andrey Arshavin
Dinamo Moscow 1-5 Zenit St. Petersburg
Friday, March 16
Andrey Arshavin played 70 minutes of Zenit's comfortable 5-1 win at Dinamo Moscow on Friday.

Vito Mannone
Crystal Palace 0-0 Hull
Saturday, March 17
Vito Mannone played the whole of Hull's goalless draw against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Saturday as the Tigers extended their unbeaten run to 11 league matches.

Nicklas Bendtner
Everton 1-1 Sunderland
Saturday, March 17
Nicklas Bendtner played the full 90 minutes of Sunderland's 1-1 draw with Everton in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Wellington
Deportivo La Coruna 3-0 Alcoyano
Saturday, March 17
Wellington played the whole of Alcoyano's 3-0 defeat against Segunda Division leaders Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

Carlos Vela
Getafe 1-0 Real Sociedad
Saturday, March 17
Carlos Vela played 71 minutes of Real Sociedad's 1-0 defeat at Getafe on Saturday, before being replaced in the second half.

Denilson
Sao Paulo 3-2 Santos
Sunday, March 18
Denilson played the full 90 minutes of Sao Paulo's 3-2 Paulista victory over Santos on Sunday.

Craig Eastmond
Bury 1-4 Wycombe
Saturday, March 17
Craig Eastmond played the whole of Wycombe's 4-1 win at Bury on Saturday.

Sanchez Watt
Crawley 3-2 Port Vale
Saturday, March 17
Sanchez Watt played 18 minutes as a second-half substitute in Crawley's 3-2 victory over Port Vale at the Broadfield Stadium on Saturday.

Samuel Galindo
Cartagena 1-3 Gimnastic Tarragona
Saturday, March 17
Samuel Galindo played 55 minutes of Gimnastic Tarragona's 3-1 victory over Cartagena on Saturday.

Ryo
Tottenham A-A Bolton
Saturday, March 17
Ryo was named in the starting line-up for Bolton's FA Cup quarter-final tie against Tottenham, before the game was abandoned after 41 minutes due to Fabrice Muamba's serious injury.

Henri Lansbury
Leeds 1-1 West Ham
Saturday, March 17
Henri Lansbury did not feature in West Ham's 1-1 draw against Leeds at Elland Road on Saturday.

Sean McDermott
Leeds 1-1 West Ham
Saturday, March 17
Sean McDermott did not feature in Leeds' 1-1 draw against West Ham at Elland Road on Saturday.

Pedro Botelho
Levante 1-0 Villarreal
Sunday, March 18
Pedro Botelho did not feature in Levante's 1-0 win over Villarreal on Sunday.

Sead Hajrovic
Barnet 0-2 Morecambe
Saturday, March 17
Sead Hajrovic did not feature in Barnet's 2-0 defeat to Morecambe at Underhill on Saturday.

Joel Campbell
Lorient 2-1 Brest
Saturday, March 17
Joel Campbell did not feature in Lorient's 2-1 win over Brest at the Stade du Moustoir on Saturday.

Kyle Bartley
Dundee United 2-1 Rangers
Saturday, March 17
Kyle Bartley did not feature in Rangers' 2-1 defeat to Dundee United at Tannadice Park on Saturday.

Rhys Murphy
Exeter 1-2 Preston
Saturday, March 17
Rhys Murphy did not feature in Preston's 2-1 win over Exeter on Saturday.

Chuks Aneke and Benik Afobe doing the 'Azonto' dance - http://www.twitvid.com/L1UON

2pm today, Reserves play Liverpool. Diaby should feature.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Lansbury cant hold down a regular starting place for West Ham can he?

He isnt going to make it at Arsenal I dont think, he hasnt done as well this year than he did at Norwich last year.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Any possible link to that game? I know its unlikely.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Mike, I don't think so. He has been set back a bit by a 2 month injury earlier this season and it doesn't look like he can get back into the team since then, at least not regularly.

Here's an interview with him from last week:

Henri, you have won promotions with Scunthorpe United and Norwich City in the previous three seasons. How about making it three in four years?

"I think going out on loan has helped me massively. I got promoted with Scunthorpe and obviously Watford was a different experience, going from the top of League One to near the bottom of the Championship and fighting our lives each week.

"I then went to Norwich and we were at the top, which was great for me because I was playing in a free role off the striker [Grant Holt]. I was shining in there until I got injured and then I came back at the end of the season and came on and scored a few vital goals as a substitute.

"Coming here and at the top of the table has been good because I think things flow more easily than when you're at the bottom because teams are scared of you.

"If I can get three promotions in four seasons, then that might be a little record? That's what I'm hoping for. Hopefully we can get promoted and back into the Premier League."

After scoring on your debut, you were injured at Southampton in October and forced out for two months. How did that affect your progress this season?

"My injury affected me and it took me a while to get back and then I couldn't get back in team. I've just got to stay positive and when I get my chance, take it.

"There is a massive amount of competition for places in midfield, but you've got to take that competition as a positive and use it to get the best out of yourself.

"It does get you down if you know you're not going to play, but we've got a lot of games coming up and you can't let your frustrations affect how you perform in training or in matches. You've got to stay positive and keep your head.

"I definitely know I can do well in the Championship - I just need the opportunity to play week-in, week-out and I can show my talent then."

You famously went in goal after Robert Green was sent-off at Blackpool in February and kept a clean sheet as we won 4-1. How did you enjoy that experience?

"I was excited to go in goal, to be honest! When I play football with my mates, I love pulling the gloves on and diving in the puddles and all that. I loved playing in the garden or down the park as a kid and getting really muddy so I think it stems from that.

"At training, if there is not a 'keeper available, I'll take the gloves and face a few shots, but obviously doing it a game was massively different.

"When I did it for England [Under-21s against Germany in November 2010] I didn't feel any pressure because I came on and straight away faced a penalty and I knew I didn't have much chance of saving it.

"It was a great experience and, you never know, hopefully it'll happen again!"

Seriously speaking, what 'type' of midfielder do you see yourself as being?

"I like getting forward into goalscoring areas, which I've shown I can do. If I've got to defend, I've got to defend and that's something I need to add in to my game.

"I'd rather be attacking and playing as the No10 behind the striker. I think it brings the best out of me when I play there.

"Obviously you cannot take the captain out of the team, so I'll have to work on my game to try to find a position in the team whether it's next to him, out wide or in a more defensive position. I'll just keep working hard at my game to keep on top of stuff."

Finally, you are going great guns with the England Under-21s and are seven points clear at the top of your qualifying gruop. Are you confident of qualifying for EURO 2013?

"It's definitely going well. I love going there and pulling on the No10 shirt and playing behind the striker. They are a great bunch of lads and some great up-and-coming players.

"Being part of the team and being given the ball all the time is great and we've obviously got an outstanding chance of going to the Championship finals next year."

Zaid, the game will be on Liverpool TV so there may be links for this one.

Last edited by Mario Leontiou on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Cheers Mario, I'll keep an eye out.

You made a comment about Jenkinson's crossing being poor in that game last week. I didn't watch the game, but I wouldn't be too worried. Earlier in the season, if I recall, he was probably the best crosser on the team. I hope he can regain that. I really like Jenks, he's a hard worker and he's got a great engine. And he has the best teacher there is, in the form of Sagna. He'll do very well at Arsenal.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm

His crossing is probably the least of our worries. He's shown that he has a pretty good delivery and he even took a corner or two the other night, so it's obviously something he is good at and is trusted with. He is rusty, it was too be expected.

It's the rest of his defensive game that he still has a lot to work on but you're right, he's a hard worker and seems to have the type of character whereby he'll be constantly trying to improve. Ideally he had a few months on loan somewhere playing regular 1st team football but we don't have the back up to Sagna to allow for it.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Yeah im not sure he isnt a little ahead of himself with some of the things he says to be honest, and even concedes himself he needs to improve off the ball, he will definately not break into our first team squad as a number 10, I think we'll let him move on in the summer, could have a decent time in his career somewhere else, a bit like Bentley maybe, but ultimately not an Arsenal player.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:Yeah im not sure he isnt a little ahead of himself with some of the things he says to be honest, and even concedes himself he needs to improve off the ball, he will definately not break into our first team squad as a number 10, I think we'll let him move on in the summer, could have a decent time in his career somewhere else, a bit like Bentley maybe, but ultimately not an Arsenal player.

Who...Jenkinson?

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Zaid Derweesh wrote:
Jenks1981 wrote:Yeah im not sure he isnt a little ahead of himself with some of the things he says to be honest, and even concedes himself he needs to improve off the ball, he will definately not break into our first team squad as a number 10, I think we'll let him move on in the summer, could have a decent time in his career somewhere else, a bit like Bentley maybe, but ultimately not an Arsenal player.

Who...Jenkinson?

Think Mike was talking about Lansbury. I have to agree, I do like him and would like to see him come through, but can't see it happening really.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 am

Oh ok that makes sense. Yeah Lansbury is clearly a very decent player, but the position he wants to play is a very important one. I can't see him making it his own.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:38 am

Arsenal Reserves:
Martinez, Angha, Hoyte, Miquel, Meade, Yennaris, Ozyakup, Diaby, Aneke, Ansah, Afobe.

Subs: Shea, Ebecilio, Boateng, Rees, Roberts.

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/41820/1/liverpool-res-vs-arsenal-res-live-stream-online.html

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 am

Cheers Mario. Hope Diaby can come through 90 minutes unscathed, it would be nice to have him available for the run-in.

Three more streams:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/114430/2/watch-liverpool-res-vs-arsenal-res.html

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:55 am

An extra body would be handy.....what times this game?
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:59 am

Literally right now.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content