Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market

+12
ralph avedikian
Subrat Koirala
Jonathan Prendergast
Meshaal
Mario
Michael Foster
Wesley Wang
Mike York
Adriel Williams
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Hisham El Mawan
Vanig Bostanian
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market Empty Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am

I must say I'm very impressed with the defensive shift from the entire team. Organization was superb, they didn't let Mannone do much, and the little he had to do, he did it well. Credit for the entire team. Keeping two consecutive clean sheets is a very good thing, but not scoring in 2 consecutive matches isn't. There are a few days left in the transfer market, what sort of player do you think we should bring in? Wenger said he wanted two new players, but will he do it? I'm pretty sure we will be bringing in one though, and I want that one to be a DM and nothing more. Yes, we are doing well defensively but the thing is, Arteta was fucking quality spreading the passes when Santi was subbed off, so i think we should take advantage of that and bring in someone who'd give Arteta the freedom to go forward more. What do you think? Do we need a new winger or another creative midfielder or a world class striker?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market Empty Re: Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 am

Player ratings:
Mannone 7: Did what he had to do
Jenkinson: 7 Good stuff boy
Mertesacker 7: Wenger will have a hard time when Kos gets back
Vermaelen 7: Very good
Gibbs 7.5: He needs to make sure he stays fit
Arteta 7.5: Discussed his case in the original post
Diaby 6.5: Not bad but could do better
Santi 6.5: I think he faded in the second half but had an excellent first
Poldi 7: Loved his energy and determination
Giroud 6: Just needs to find that first goal and he'll be fine. Excellent off the ball movement and helped the defence
Gervinho 5: Created nothing

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market Empty Re: Stoke Post Match/ Thoughts on the Last Few Days of the Transfer Market

Post by Hisham El Mawan Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 am

Van Roy Bostanian wrote:I must say I'm very impressed with the defensive shift from the entire team. Organization was superb, they didn't let Mannone do much, and the little he had to do, he did it well. Credit for the entire team. Keeping two consecutive clean sheets is a very good thing, but not scoring in 2 consecutive matches isn't. There are a few days left in the transfer market, what sort of player do you think we should bring in? Wenger said he wanted two new players, but will he do it? I'm pretty sure we will be bringing in one though, and I want that one to be a DM and nothing more. Yes, we are doing well defensively but the thing is, Arteta was fucking quality spreading the passes when Santi was subbed off, so i think we should take advantage of that and bring in someone who'd give Arteta the freedom to go forward more. What do you think? Do we need a new winger or another creative midfielder or a world class striker?

I think we need to bring in a DM, for the same reason you stated before. Arteta is a very creative player, and bringing in a player to anchor the midfield would give him the freedom to attack.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 am

Van Roy Bostanian wrote:Gervinho 5: Created nothing

Gervinho is looking like a complete waste of space to me so far. Just does the same thing everytime and then messes up the final decision, be it taking a shot or crossing the ball. He puts in a good defensive shift, I'll give him that though.

Apart from that I was pleased with the rest of the team. I get the impression that Podolski could be our most potent attacking player this season, we just need to get him on the end of a half decent chance.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Adriel Williams Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 am

So disappointed in Gervinho so far this season. Looks out of ideas already. WE need to start asking serious questions about where the goals are going to come from. Never thought i'd ever say that again about the Arsenal, but at the moment we look solid defensively and absolutely impotent in the final third.

Adriel Williams
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:49 am

Attacking wise we were a bit average. But we have a lot of new faces attacking wise so some time to gel is normal. Even though he had a great pre-season maybe our best front 3 doesn't have Gervinho in it. Podolski - Giroud - Walcott possibly.

Definsively was a huge plus for us. Stoke at set pieces are a nightmare and we handled them fine. They did not have too many top chances in the game and all over the pitch we were far more physical with them than we have been in previous games. The Steve Bould effect has been evident the first two games. And to think we have Kos and Sagna to return to make the back four stronger.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 am

Arsene Wenger accepted his new-look Arsenal strike force need to forge a better understanding after they failed to score in a goalless draw against Stoke.

Lukas Podolski, Olivier Giroud and Gervinho were unable to make a breakthrough despite a dominant display in midfield led by Santi Cazorla, leaving Arsenal yet to open their goalscoring account after two Barclays Premier League games.

With few clear-cut chances and a penalty shout turned down for Stoke, Arsenal could only take a point to add to the one they earned against Sunderland, with the void left by Dutch striker Robin van Persie still seemingly left to be filled.

"Offensively we still have some work to do because we missed a bit of accuracy in the final third in our movement and in our passing," Wenger said.

"We are used to finding each other in the final third and there's something missing but I still think we should have won the game 1-0.

"[It is] an understanding because you have Cazorla and Podolski who one month ago, they didn't know each other, so that will come.

"We have some work to do on the training ground but I believe we have the potential but you can see as well that something is missing.

"They're not spontaneous enough in some situations. I'm very positive about my team. People will say: 'You did not score in two games' and I cannot deny that.

"We played against two teams who as a unit defend very well, Sunderland and Stoke, and overall I believe we can be a good surprise in this Championship."

Last season, Arsenal saw their bid for the title take an early dent as defeats against Liverpool and Manchester United followed an opening day 0-0 draw at Newcastle.

However, Wenger conceded winning a point against Stoke is not a given and is another positive to take back to the Emirates.

"You have to give credit to Stoke," Wenger said. "They defended well and have experience at the back and are a very strong team defensively.

"As long as we didn't score an opener they were happy with the point and you could see that.

"Is it a point gained or two dropped? I would say it is two dropped on the day but I would say it is a good point as it is difficult for everybody to take a point at Stoke."

Potters boss Tony Pulis was satisfied with the result after both sides struggled to find the target in what was still an entertaining game.

Pulis said: "I'm pleased with the point, really pleased with the point.

"I thought we were disappointing going forward. I thought we could do better than that. We looked unbalanced without Matty [Etherington] on the left hand side but the attitude of the players and the commitment of the players was absolutely first class.

"As a football club we must never ever become blasé about taking a point off one of the top teams in Europe."

http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item845210/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Wang Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:03 am

Gervinho didn't exactly cover himself in glory today, but he was our liveliest player against Sunderland. He's very hot and cold; when he gets in his stride he can glide past defenders but his decision making and final ball is very, very poor.

Ox surely deserves more playing game after his performance today, he played like a man possessed.

The fact that we hardly threatened Begovic's goal is a bit disconcerting. It's easy to say that we'd take 1 point at the Britannica or that weaker teams will always park the bus against us, but we have be rise above that.

When Song left I was adamant that we need a DM replacement, but now I'm not so sure. Our back line has looked quite solid, Diaby has done a decent job and Wilshere will be back soon.
Wesley Wang
Wesley Wang
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:01 am

I think it's a bit hard to judge a selected few player...we have a new look and new players...while we have shored up at the back its only half the battle we need to work on the front men and until they start to adapt to each other it's going to be hard for lone individuals to shine or come good.....

This said they did well today...collectively sound and all helped out with defensive duties this I cannot fault...but until they find the ballance coming forward collectively and finding the goal it's going to get harder per match...next up is Liverpool....one part of me is seriously looking forward to seeing how the new boys will match up with a bigger team...
The other not so sure...

Will be interesting to see how we do in the rest of the transfer window to....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 am

I wouldn't count on Wilshere contributing anything of note in 2012. To be out for that long, he will be bedded in slowly, there's always the chance of setbacks too.

And although we have looked a lot more solid so far this season, it was against two teams with next to no creativity. Last season we would still concede to those teams, that is true, but our next few fixtures will be a true tester for our defence.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 am

Wow. Some really tough fixtures in September but looking at the fixture list - should be making up alot of ground in October and December.

As for the game itself, i thought we looked pretty solid, and that is without Sagna, who adds alot to the team defensively.

Despite dominating the possession, the balance in mid-field is not perfect yet and we will also start scoring goals soon enough - I have no doubts about that.

Positives -

As a unit, the team defended really well. Mertesacker and Vermaelen dealt with most things pretty comfortably so far.

Been quite impressed with Gibbs - I wouldn't say i have been his biggest fan so far, but he was looked good so far this season.

Arteta is a gem. Gone about an even more defensive role than last season quietly and efficiently.

Cazorla looks like a real quality player! Alot more to come from him.

Saw some glimpses of what Podolski can offer today.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 am

With 4 days to go (or 5) - would not be surprised to see us trying to sign a striker as well.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 am

Not an easy start, up against Martin O'Neil and Tony Pulis. 2 managers that love to frustrate us.

Will be completely different against a better team willing to attack. Will be interested to see how Cazorla and the rest of the attack go when an opposition attack and give us more space.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Pulis: People call Stoke a dirty team... what about Arsenal?
The Potters boss pointed out that his squad boasted a better disciplinary record than the Gunners last season, with Wenger countering with the Fair Play table results

Tony Pulis feels that his Stoke City side are unfairly labelled as a dirty side, and believes that the critics should instead take a look at Arsenal as an example of poor discipline.
Don't Miss

Pulis pointed out that his squad boasted a better disciplinary record than the Gunners last season, with two red cards and 60 yellows compared to four red cards and 64 yellows for Arsene Wenger's charges.

The two managers have often clashed in the past, notably when Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey suffered a broken leg after a collision with Ryan Shawcross, but Pulis says the accusations of his side being rough are not right.

"People talk about us about us being a dirty team, yet we haven't had as many red cards or I haven't had as many red cards as a manager as Arsene Wenger has had as a manager," he told reporters.

"People always talk about me and Stoke City. Nobody ever talks about the situation with Wenger. There was a situation not so long ago when a lot of red cards were being dished out to Arsenal.

"Everybody seems to have forgotten about that. All we want is fairness and a balance. It is frustrating when you get labelled for this or that and people don't look at the other side of the coin."

Wenger spoke out in defence of Pulis' claims ahead of the two clubs' clash on Sunday, noting that Arsenal finished seventh in the Fair Play table, which takes into account attitude towards officials, while Stoke came last.

"I think we did quite well in the Fair Play table,” Wenger said.

“I don't know how they did, but we did quite well. It's not only about red cards, it's about the number of fouls.”

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2012/08/25/3331327/pulis-people-call-stoke-a-dirty-team-what-about-arsenal

Seriously this guy's a cunt!

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Creating his own argument and arguing against it.

Wenger has only ever criticised him on actual instances. It's not as if he constantly brings up Stoke's rough tackling.

And they got away with some terrible tackles yesterday.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Defensively, we've been quite solid. But as someone mentioned above, the real test of the "Bould effect" will be against better teams who are willing to attack.
In the attacking third, it's quite apparent to see the new players have individual quality but them haven't gelled completely yet. While we knew beforehand about the attributes of Podolski and Cazorla and what they would bring to the team, I was especially impressed with Giroud's movement and hold-up play. And may be we need a DM as has been mentioned above. Asking Arteta to play as the deepest midfielder will limit his ability to plug the gaps in the opposition's half and maintain sustained possession and pressure in the final third imo. And the exclusion of Chamakh in both the games very much means we could bring in another striker once the wages are freed up by clearing the dead wood.
All in all, a decent start to the season.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:24 pm

Well I won't comment to much on pulis...the guy knows about our history as we all do..to bring up the fact we used to have a discipline problem..Erm will hate to disappoint you tony but we used to get no end of agro over it...it's all done and dusted now..but where we are unlike your team who are STILL charging in with these reckless challenges...and to add to the fact we were being kicked all over the field as the team to beat....you cab jog on son...
Really...jog....the...fuck...on.

We had a good game....kinda hate to say it but I think we might actually need another quality striker.....it might be a different story against Liverpool....but that could be to late to wait.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm really looking forward to the Liverpool game. At last, a team that will attack us a bit or try to at least. This will give more space to Cazorla and our strikers to move into and I really believe we'll win AND keep a clean sheet yet again.

Last edited by ralph avedikian on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:25 pm

I am with you on this Ralph....I fully belive Liverpool will come at us...and I will say one thing if they try and adopt the tattics of Sunderland and stoke i would see that as a positive...

Also....ok we had two clean sheets scored none but if we are to punch with the big boys this season....

These are the game we should be winning.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jason.mandryk Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:47 am

We are the only goalless team after two matches, and against two mid-table teams. It is frustrating how even poorer, relegation-threatened teams can graft out a goal or two when playing poorly, while we can play when and not even threaten the opponent's goal.

I don't know that another striker will solve the problem, we haven't really created that many chances for a top notch finisher to put away, anyway.

Wenger usually excuses this by saying "early days, the team needs time to gel", but was he not told the league schedule? Other sides seem to have managed to work out their systems, at least to the degree of creating chances and/or scoring goals.
jason.mandryk
jason.mandryk
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:20 am

I think if anything we need a striker and definitely a defensive midfielder.....
One problem I had with Wenger is not getting the first team to play the preseasons i know it's a chance for others to shine but we really needed a good start to this campaign to silence the doubtfull,bond the team and work on player performance....

Also with this m'Vila deal I hope he is just being stubborn and waiting to pounce on a cut price deal before the window shuts....and as in the thread regarding la liga...might be worth Wenger looking there for replacements at a decent price...

No doubt bould is working wonders behind the scenes with Wenger i am a little worried that we have set out to defensively...in one way it's good,sort out the problems at the back and hopefully the rest should follow....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:14 am

jason.mandryk wrote:We are the only goalless team after two matches, and against two mid-table teams. It is frustrating how even poorer, relegation-threatened teams can graft out a goal or two when playing poorly, while we can play when and not even threaten the opponent's goal.

I don't know that another striker will solve the problem, we haven't really created that many chances for a top notch finisher to put away, anyway.

Wenger usually excuses this by saying "early days, the team needs time to gel", but was he not told the league schedule? Other sides seem to have managed to work out their systems, at least to the degree of creating chances and/or scoring goals.

My response to that is "early days, the team needs time to gel". We are 2 games in!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by jason.mandryk Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Every other team is also at early days, but are at least scoring goals, and most of them with inferior players to our own. Teams have pre-seasons precisely for the purpose of being ready for the season.
jason.mandryk
jason.mandryk
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 pm

jason.mandryk wrote:Every other team is also at early days, but are at least scoring goals, and most of them with inferior players to our own. Teams have pre-seasons precisely for the purpose of being ready for the season.

I think its more to do with the teams we've played's tactics against us. Smaller teams defend deep against the sttonger teams but against the other lesser teams they go for it therefore resulting in goals between them. We're merely victims of new players settling in right now whilst the teams we've faced just played for a draw only.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 am

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Rosicky at all, he can do alot for us in the advanced midfield role as I think his running with the ball and speed of pass give us an added dimension, when fit he will definately bring something to the team and we could see Cazorla starting on the wings then maybe in the games when Rosicky starts. It will all knit together well ive no doubt.

Looks like Arteta will remain as our "Alonso" now though, we arent in for M'Vila.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next