Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer transfer window 2013

+34
Sivaram Sukumar
Ravneet Singh
Ashraf Peeran
Marko Maksimović
chris eades
Subrat Koirala
deep.gurung
Mohamed Samir
Aseem Bajpai
Andreas Wæhre
Dan Hakim
kique.canto
Joey Schwab
pwoodman1
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Jenson Pais
Michael Schatzky
Samritpal Singh
Meshaal
Mario
Jonathan Prendergast
Vijay Saibola
Kevin C.A.
cozypilo
ralph avedikian
John Foxall
Hisham El Mawan
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Chris Chan
jason.mandryk
Jason Morrison
Mike York
Michael Foster
38 posters

Page 20 of 28 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Go down

Summer transfer window 2013  - Page 20 Empty Re: Summer transfer window 2013

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:29 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Luis Gustavo says he would like to join Arsenal. Promising sign.
hopefully the first of many....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am

Does anyone know how much did we get for chamakh? I just noticed that it's a permanent switch not just loan. Thanks!

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Arsenal wiki 2013/14 contains heaps of the best info for stuff like that.

It says undisclosed, possible free transfer for Chamakh. We may have ended up paying for some of his wages too!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:56 am

Gourcuff is the highest-paid Frenchman in his country's top division but Aulas claims that he would willingly accept a lower wage for the chance to join Arsenal on loan.

"Can you see us paying part of his salary for him to play against us with another French club? We've never considered that and it would even more stupid now than it was a fortnight ago," Aulas told L'Equipe.

"All that I know, if I understood correctly, is that he was ready to lower his salary to go to Arsenal but that's not the same thing."

The inevitable Gourcuff link

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 am

We have 3 central midfield positions. Holding, box-to-box and CAM. I think we are quite well covered in the latter 2, with Jack, Ramsey, Cazorla, Rosicky, Diaby, Oxlade Chamberlain and the youngs guys like Eisfeld, Gnarby and Zelalem to fill in on the very odd occasion.

I think we need a holding mid quite desperately, but don't see a need to sign in the other 2 midfield positions (like Gourcoff) unless it was someone of Cesc's quality.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:28 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:We have 3 central midfield positions. Holding, box-to-box and CAM. I think we are quite well covered in the latter 2, with Jack, Ramsey, Cazorla, Rosicky, Diaby, Oxlade Chamberlain and the youngs guys like Eisfeld, Gnarby and Zelalem to fill in on the very odd occasion.

I think we need a holding mid quite desperately, but don't see a need to sign in the other 2 midfield positions (like Gourcoff) unless it was someone of Cesc's quality.
Or Cesc himself

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 am

Arsenal are considering moves for Swansea attacking midfielder Michu, 27, and Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko, 27, as their hopes of signing Liverpool forward Luis Suarez, 26, fade.

should have gone for michu straight off...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:04 pm

hahaha i always think that they pull these names out of a hat .... must be a slow day at the office
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Arseblog mentioned how many players we were linked with last summer. 101 I think. I reckon we would have broken that record this year.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:22 am

Die Welt is reporting that Gustavo has chosen Wolfburg. He said he would make an announcement today. Normally German papers are more reliable than the English press, but I think this is just a paper trying to get a scoop by guessing a day ahead of his announcement.

I wonder if Arsenal are seriously interested in him?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:53 am

i said all along he would end up at wolfberg.......there is no way we will be signing him...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:45 pm

still no transfers.....i hope wenger knows what he is doing we are very light as a squad...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:51 am

Michael Foster wrote:i said all along he would end up at wolfberg.......there is no way we will be signing him...
he was meant to make his announcement by now.

Firstly, it is hard to know if Wenger was in for him. Not sure if he is. Wenger has a particular type of player he likes, so hard to know.

Secondly, I think Gustavo's comments earlier in the week, where he said he would like to play for Arsenal were to try and get Arsenal to act. Maybe he told Arsenal to get in touch by today if they are keen, as he is keen to sort out his season.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 am

Tottenham have meanwhile purchased Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue and Nacer Chadli. If they had those players last season, they would have definitely finished above us. Particularly Soldado as Adebayor was very poor last season.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 am

With Arteta injured, any chance Mattieu Flamini will be lining up for us against Aston Villa on Saturday?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Wolfsberg confirm Gustavo signing on their website - http://www.vfl-wolfsburg.de/info/aktuelles/detailseite/artikel/neuzugang-3.html
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:35 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Wolfsberg confirm Gustavo signing on their website - http://www.vfl-wolfsburg.de/info/aktuelles/detailseite/artikel/neuzugang-3.html
I see that one coming a mile away....no way were we in for him....

Wenger has to get busy in the window...not on deadline day or the day before it...but now...we need reinforcing big time!!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:28 am

'Tis the most depressing transfer window ever...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 am

Jason Morrison wrote:'Tis the most depressing transfer window ever...
its trully pathetic that for seasons we have been crying out to get rid of the deadwood..now thats done we dont bring in anyone...I know there is 17 days left in the window but we have had months!!!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:12 am

Why get annoyed? This was totally foreseeable. It's just very boring and frustrating, that is frustrating if you bother to follow with any attention anymore.

For the record I maintain that noting will change until Wenger leaves. Thanks for the memories etc etc, but this so stale. Let's move on. If there were anything resembling football men at the top we might be making progress. It's a vacuum of progressiveness at the club. Boring, repetitive, stale.

We might make a good start to the reason. The players may feel in good nick (those that are not injured!) However, we've not strengthened to give ourselves the best opportunity.

Anyone who points to Spurs purchases will confirm that good players are available.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:05 am

*were available.

I do think we will get signings by the end of the window, but it has been a worrying transfer window.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:*were available.

I do think we will get signings by the end of the window, but it has been a worrying transfer window.
In fairness, it's like anything: reserving a holiday, looking for a flat. Best to get in there early and be decisive. The longer you wait.... unless of course you have limitless funds.

it's been a worrying few years. The lack of activity this summer is completely in keeping with our recent trend. The best thing for an Arsenal fan to do this summer was to forget the transfers and go to the beach, watch some cricket, go abroad, not turn on the television, and certainly not sky sports news or any abomination like that.

There really is no logical explanation or defence. If we panic buy again at the last minute then we can only blame ourselves. Like I so, the leadership of the club is so stale and insipid. I'm dieing for a change, for some passion and new ideas. To think that the owner is probably desperate for AW to re-sign, as if he can go on forever. So so bored.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 am

I don't like the reference to panic buying. For all we know, they had been lining up such signings for months.

Arteta and Mertersacker have turned out to be fantastic players for Arsenal.

Santos and Park no worse than Chamahk and Gervinho that were signed early in the window. Every clubs make the occaisional dud signing.

The case is more convincing that we are lacking in the ability to get signings over the line. The David Dein type character. But then how did we get all the other signings over the line like those last minute buys and Podolski etc?

Maybe it is bad luck that our targets have been held onto by their clubs (like Suarez and Bender) and also being too perfectionist when it comes down to the type of player and their cost. Maybe occaisionally we need to say, 'oh well, not the ideal player we wanted at the ideal price, but better than nothing'.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:47 am

Park was quite clearly a panic buy. The boss didn't even seem to want to use him. As for someone like Santos, it was a gamble, but a poorly thought-through gamble. Someone like Chamakh, much like Bendtner before him, simply wasn't the calibre of play we need to improve us.

We were led on by Suarez's agent no? So we wasted time on an impossible target. Either that or it was one of these symbolic attempts to sign a player that wasn't carried through like it was critical. Aren't we just going to see Wenger come out and say: "Oh well, I tried", with someone in the board room adding "if there's value Wenger will sign".

It's a broken record. Nothing to do with bad luck. If the ideal player is available, we need to do more to get him, we don't have the money problems of many other clubs.

I'm sure we could do with David Dein's quality in the business aspect of the club, but how hard can it be to convince these people? Ultimately it's the ambition and the money involved that convince most players? Can I win things and play in a team going places at Arsenal?

Bergkamp wasn't convinced to come to play for Arsenal based without monetary incentives. In that sense what we're lacking is real Arsenal football fans in the club's management structure. People who want to be ambitious because they love the football club. Those are the kind of people who will make sure things happen when they need to. We can't just be relying on Wenger's games and idealistic dilly-dallying.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:04 am

i really believe we will buy its a shame we dont have them for today .... as for buying i don't think its just one man decision ...... park was a panic buy but i'm putting it down to bad advice and recommendation
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 28 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next