Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January transfers

+32
Jenson Pais
Vijay Saibola
Sami Rockfeller
Joey Schwab
dbruce5
Liam Bermingham
kdunn
Alex Hadjicharalampous
deepgrg
David Hung
jingus
chris eades
John Foxall
Michael Schatzky
Mario
vyom.chaudhary
Chris Chan
Darcy Gorman
Jason Morrison
Michael Foster
rschalala
Marko Maksimović
Jonathan Prendergast
Vanig Bostanian
Jenks1981
ralph avedikian
Subrat Koirala
Mike York
Meshaal
pwoodman1
Hisham El Mawan
Mohamed Samir
36 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

January transfers - Page 15 Empty Re: January transfers

Post by Chris Chan Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:We did bid 30m for Gotze at one stage? If so, 40m pounds for Cavani is not out of the question. And I think it sounds like Wenger is ready to break the bank a bit now.

Anyone watching the exchange rates? Maybe an appreciation of the Pound is our best chance.

until we actually spend £30m, Wenger is not ready to break the bank

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 am

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-could-get-edinson-cavani-for-much-less-than-many-think-as

Really interesting article about how Cavani might actually be an easier deal than some of us imagine. I'm not saying that I'm confident this will happen, but I refuse to believe there isn't a chance.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

Chris Chan wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote:We did bid 30m for Gotze at one stage? If so, 40m pounds for Cavani is not out of the question. And I think it sounds like Wenger is ready to break the bank a bit now.

Anyone watching the exchange rates? Maybe an appreciation of the Pound is our best chance.

I can see it actually happening...I mean Wenger has spouted interest..and will look bloody stupid if he don't carry something out..
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20 am

Chris Chan wrote:

a bid is legally binding, but we have limited information. as you suggest, wait and see. but not impossible!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Chris Chan wrote:

a bid is legally binding, but we have limited information. as you suggest, wait and see. but not impossible!

yes it is legally binding but means nothing unless you succeed. He could legitimately bid £30m for messi but that may as well be 1p

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 am

the 30m pound bid for Gotze does not mean nothing
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am

It means nothing because we didnt back it up, who did we sign instead (I have to say I don't remember us having a confirmed bid for Gotze)? If we failed with Gotze at that level, why did we not spend that money on someone else? Bidding that much for a player like Gotze simply admits that you recognise a lack of talent in the squad and that you have funds available to rectify the issue. When your plan A falls through, surely there has to be a plan B? Depending on when this bid happened, surely Gotze isn't the only player of that calibre we could have bought if we actually had 30m to spend

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 am

Chris Chan wrote:It means nothing because we didnt back it up, who did we sign instead (I have to say I don't remember us having a confirmed bid for Gotze)? If we failed with Gotze at that level, why did we not spend that money on someone else? Bidding that much for a player like Gotze simply admits that you recognise a lack of talent in the squad and that you have funds available to rectify the issue. When your plan A falls through, surely there has to be a plan B? Depending on when this bid happened, surely Gotze isn't the only player of that calibre we could have bought if we actually had 30m to spend

We got Cazorla in stead.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Well it looks like Theo's contract is to be sorted....so let's see what Wenger does in the market....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:12 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Chris Chan wrote:It means nothing because we didnt back it up, who did we sign instead (I have to say I don't remember us having a confirmed bid for Gotze)? If we failed with Gotze at that level, why did we not spend that money on someone else? Bidding that much for a player like Gotze simply admits that you recognise a lack of talent in the squad and that you have funds available to rectify the issue. When your plan A falls through, surely there has to be a plan B? Depending on when this bid happened, surely Gotze isn't the only player of that calibre we could have bought if we actually had 30m to spend

We got Cazorla in stead.

Correct. Also Goetze wanted to remain at Dortmund.
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 am

Let me get this straight, Some guy on twitter who is supposedly credible (we have no way of knowing for sure) said that we are making a 30 million bid for a unnamed player. Some other guy who is less credible than the first guy says it may be cavani and now every one thinks we are gonna sign him?? How does this make any fucking sense? The wishful thinking on this forum is down right ridiculous!

Of fucking course Wegner says he likes him, he is one of the best strikers in europe! He likes messi and ronaldo too! Does not mean we will sign them.

Lets try and reign it in just a little

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:43 am

kdunn wrote:Let me get this straight, Some guy on twitter who is supposedly credible (we have no way of knowing for sure) said that we are making a 30 million bid for a unnamed player. Some other guy who is less credible than the first guy says it may be cavani and now every one thinks we are gonna sign him?? How does this make any fucking sense? The wishful thinking on this forum is down right ridiculous!

Of fucking course Wegner says he likes him, he is one of the best strikers in europe! He likes messi and ronaldo too! Does not mean we will sign them.

Admittedly it sounds far fetched.......but one says big news is on the way another says a 30mil bid someone else posts its cavani and Wenger admits to liking him.....that's a whole load of coincidences in one go to be just to be rubbish talk....Twitter may be crap and full of it 99% of the time...but as its been noted before..that 1% can be right...

So making sense of it would be listening to Twitter then Wenger denies any knowledge or liking/wanting a player...
That I would way hands it the bull part of it all....but as I said...its almost bar actually signing anyone more credible than most of the crap floating about...

Will it happen...it sounds at least 50/50...unlike most of the bull we hear about possible transfers...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 am

Wenger probably only said he liked him because he knows there is no chance we can make a proper play for a player of that calibre.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Wenger probably only said he liked him because he knows there is no chance we can make a proper play for a player of that calibre.

Hahaha...there is that side to it.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 am

Michael Foster wrote:
kdunn wrote:Let me get this straight, Some guy on twitter who is supposedly credible (we have no way of knowing for sure) said that we are making a 30 million bid for a unnamed player. Some other guy who is less credible than the first guy says it may be cavani and now every one thinks we are gonna sign him?? How does this make any fucking sense? The wishful thinking on this forum is down right ridiculous!

Admittedly it sounds far fetched.......but one says big news is on the way another says a 30mil bid someone else posts its cavani and Wenger admits to liking him.....that's a whole load of coincidences in one go to be just to be rubbish talk....Twitter may be crap and full of it 99% of the time...but as its been noted before..that 1% can be right...

So making sense of it would be listening to Twitter then Wenger denies any knowledge or liking/wanting a player...
That I would way hands it the bull part of it all....but as I said...its almost bar actually signing anyone more credible than most of the crap floating about...

Will it happen...it sounds at least 50/50...unlike most of the bull we hear about possible transfers...

They are not coincidences though. Some one guessed that the 30 million bid we put in was for cavani. Then wenger was asked about it which he repiled he liked him as a player which he would say about every top player. He has said the same about Shaarawy and loads of other quality players. Saying he likes qualitiy players does not equal we are going to buy them.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-the-obstacles-to-buying-in-january

"Listen, [with regards to] Cavani; Napoli are playing for the title and the Champions League in Italy. What is Napoli's interest in selling Cavani? None, unless you say, ‘OK, we will pay twice the price of what the player is worth'."

We have never and probably never will buy a player for more than he is worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:43 am

First of all, the guy who broke the news of the bid never confirmed or denied that it was Cavani. I believe it was Ben Fairthorne who said his guess was Cavani, and everything snowballed from there, leading to Wenger being asked about it. We don't know it was Cavani, he's just the most likely target. Hope it isn't, apparently he has an 85 million euro release clause.

About the statement by Napoli's president. You forget/don't know that the guy is a film producer. We're talking about the dude who had Cavani yell "I'm going nowhere!" when it was stated he'd be moving on at a press conference a while back. So don't take what he says at face value, he's big on dramatic smokescreens.

Now for your last statement. The stadium has been paid off. We have loads of money at our disposal. And there a whisperings all over about how we're finally ready to spend big. People who know what they're talking about and have channels within the club are saying we could be making a massive signing in the summer. So there's no cause for the stubborn pessimism.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 am

BOOOO KDUNN BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

No one is saying we are going to sign him. We are not deluded.

We are just saying it is not impossible, because many are saying it is impossible.

Some fans are optimists. Some fans have hope. Let us be. Leave your negative thoughts to yourself. And don't try and act like you are the only one who knows anything.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 am

Loic Remy to QPR, Yanga-M'Biwa to Newcastle (allegedly) and Yann M'Vila in a tug of war between Spurs, Everton and QPR - we have been linked with all of these players but don't even seem to be in the running to sign them.

At the same time we are missing out on targets such as Ba, Huntelaar, Villa, Llorente, Zaha and Holtby as well.

I'm a little lost right now.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:47 am

Meshaal wrote:Loic Remy to QPR, Yanga-M'Biwa to Newcastle (allegedly) and Yann M'Vila in a tug of war between Spurs, Everton and QPR - we have been linked with all of these players but don't even seem to be in the running to sign them.

At the same time we are missing out on targets such as Ba, Huntelaar, Villa, Llorente, Zaha and Holtby as well.

Oh right! Walcott agreed to sign a new deal and Diaby is also (temporarily) back from injury.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 am

Meshaal wrote:Loic Remy to QPR, Yanga-M'Biwa to Newcastle (allegedly) and Yann M'Vila in a tug of war between Spurs, Everton and QPR - we have been linked with all of these players but don't even seem to be in the running to sign them.

I think Wenger has pretty stringent criteria, and many available players miss out on a couple of the criteria. Obviously a key one is value for money, then there are several more technical and attitude/personality criteria.

Zaha and Cavani obviously meet the non commercial criteria. Then all is required is a bit of luck to get them over the line. My criticism of Wenger is he has just missed out on some top players (eg. Alonso and Reina) when he could have added a few more million and got it over the line. Hopefully he is more willing to do it now.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Remy was a bench player at Marseille, M'Vila is a loose cannon, Ba has that dodgy knee, Huntelaar and Villa are too expensive for players in the twilights of their careers. Can't say much about the others except for the fact that we can't get mad about every good player out there that we don't buy. And I'm pretty sure we're still in the race for Zaha; I remember reading something about him favoring Arsenal. Could be mistaking that for something else though, don't take my word on that one.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Yeah Im pretty sure you'd slightly favour the club you support over any other if they we a big enough club (like us)... Zaha's an Arsenal fan.

but on reality our transfer activities for the month are complete, we've signed diaby and walcott, they're like a new signing... If we do anything, it'll probably be in the last few days, but we wont get that 30mil player, Wenger will tell us though, "hey, I tried to sign -insert player name- but it just didnt go through blah blah blah"...but hey, we'd have tried right, that counts?
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Hisham, that's called looking for excuses for not being active enough in the transfer market.

Someone like Loic Remy has undoubted talent, it just so happens that he is out of form and not playing regularly for Marseille. Two of our greatest players were out of form/not playing regularly when we signed them. It's about potential and if you're operating under financial constraints, then of course about value for money too.

As for Ba's famous dodgy knee, Jesus Christ, it can't be that dodgy because he's been scoring goals in the Premier League for two years now.

And with regards to M'Vila - yes he might be one to avoid...... but his name appearing is just down to media rumours, there are dozens of other holding players we could go for in Europe. There are no excuses when that part of our squad is so weak.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:44 am

Can't believe M'Biwa has been signed by newcastle. 7m too! Unbelievable really. Can play DM CB and even right back, great price, still only 23. Can't believe it honestly.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 am

Loic Remy scores for QPR with his first shot in the Premier League... awesome...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next