Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January Transfers 2014

+13
cozypilo
ofgarcia
Jason Morrison
Michael Foster
Jenks1981
Mike York
Samritpal Singh
Vanig Bostanian
Marko Maksimović
Subrat Koirala
pwoodman1
Meshaal
Jonathan Prendergast
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

January Transfers 2014 Empty January Transfers 2014

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 am

What positions do we need filling?

Who are our most realistic targets?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

January Transfers 2014 Empty Re: January Transfers 2014

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 am

I think we need a striker.

All other top teams have 3-4 strikers, where as we only have Giroud, and the likes of Podolski and Walcott to fill in, Bendtner who is likely to not get a new contract after this season, and Sanogo and Akpom who will take time to develop.

I would have said we need a winger, but that has mainly due to Podolski, Cazorla, The Ox and Walcott being injured. And it would see Gnabry and Miyachi starved of playing time and unable to develop.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

I think Alexis Sanchez would be a top signing. He's in the Arsene mould, and can play across the front 3 where we are a bit short.

Although, ideally we would get another out-and-out striker. Falcao, Hulk, Cavani or similar.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Ideally one of Suarez, Lewandowski or Benzema - though the last two are cup-tied (CL).

Would be happy with Benteke, Michu or even Ba.

Torres might a gamble worth taking as well.

Still feel we're a CB short as well, pretty surprised we let Djourou go on loan (even though it is a WC year / season). He has all the ingredients to be a good CB and we've all seen how good he can be when on form and full of confidence.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 pm

A top striker would be good Lewandoski , Benezma, Suarez but unless it's someone of top quality I don't think they would be any better than what have.

We need An experienced right forward to compete with Walcott and a CB for rotation purposes.

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 pm

If we fail to sign the "world class" forward, Benteke (19 league goals last season) or Michu (18 league goals last season) would be great options to have on the bench and to provide competition for Giroud. Definitely ahead of Bendtner.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 pm

I don't think either would come at the right price as their clubs would want to hold us to ransom both would be £20m plus and in my opinion no better than the options we already have up front (Giroud,Poldolski,Bentdner or Walcott)

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 pm

pwoodman1 wrote:I don't think either would come at the right price as their clubs would want to hold us to ransom both would be £20m plus and in my opinion no better than the options we already have up front (Giroud,Poldolski,Bentdner or Walcott)
Giroud is first choice for me right now whereas I'd prefer to have Walcott and Podolski on the wings. If Giroud gets injured or loses form, we really don't have anyone to play upfront. Benteke and Michu are miles ahead of Bendtner, our 2nd choice to play upfront.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:33 am

With the options we have in midfield especially on the left Santi, the Ox, even Monreal I can't see poldolski playing on the left. He scored most of his goals for cologne as a striker not a left winger.
If Bendtner had a season fully fit playing for Villa or Swansea you do see a similar return on goals from him as you have from Benteke or Michu

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 am

pwoodman1 wrote:With the options we have in midfield especially on the left Santi, the Ox, even Monreal I can't see poldolski playing on the left. He scored most of his goals for cologne as a striker not a left winger.
If Bendtner had a season fully fit playing for Villa or Swansea you do see a similar return on goals from him as you have from Benteke or Michu
Podoski isn't 1st choice to start on the left when everyone is fit but he can have a huge impact coming off the bench.

Don't agree with you about Bendtner having the same quality as Benteke and Michu though. They both had great seasons playing for teams who did struggle at times. Giroud played in 34 league games and scored 11 goals.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 am

Don't agree with you about Bendtner having the same quality as Benteke and Michu though. They both had great seasons playing for teams who did struggle at times. Giroud played in 34 league games and scored 11 goals.

I agree that they both had a good season but they were playing for teams who pretty much do everything through them. Giroud had players around him scoring plenty of goals Santi, Walcott, Poldolski etc.

There are plenty of strikers in recent years that have scored a bag full of goals for good teams but when they've moved bigger clubs they've struggled - Torres, Carroll, Ba, even Bent and Zamora

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 am

Meshaal wrote: Giroud played in 34 league games and scored 11 goals.
As a point of order, 24 league starts, and 10 sub appearances.

Wenger held him back from playing too often for the first 10-15 games.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Meshaal wrote: Giroud played in 34 league games and scored 11 goals.
As a point of order, 24 league starts, and 10 sub appearances.

Wenger held him back from playing too often for the first 10-15 games.
I was not implying I'd play Benteke or Michu ahead of Giroud or that they are better players than him, I only used that stat to highlight just how impressive Benteke's and Michu's stats were last season.

Torres did really well at Liverpool (big club) and Ba hasn't had many chances at Chelsea though I do agree with your point that when certain players move to bigger clubs, they aren't the focal point of the team anymore and may as a result score fewer goals.

Having said that, a striker such as Benteke would get a lot of chances at Arsenal with the creative mid-field behind him - like the season Adebayor scored all those goals for us.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:54 am

Benteke and Michu are decent players. But I don't think it's a good bet to splash 20m+ on players who are going to be back-up to Giroud. I think we'll go in for Suarez again. I have my opinions about him personally, and the baggage he brings with him, but if Arsene can sort him out, I won't mind.
But that's still a long shot. If we can't get him/go for him, I think we'll look for a veteran who can bring something extra to the team than being just a back up for the rest of the season. Raul from Al Sadd may be? Though I don't have the faintest clue how he's been doing lately.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:52 am

I think Benteke, Suarez or Michu would all be great, preferably the one of the first 2.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:What positions do we need filling?
LOLing like Eddie Murphy... positions.. .filling...
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Dirty mind
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:44 am

Subrat Koirala wrote:Benteke and Michu are decent players. But I don't think it's a good bet to splash 20m+ on players who are going to be back-up to Giroud. I think we'll go in for Suarez again. I have my opinions about him personally, and the baggage he brings with him, but if Arsene can sort him out, I won't mind.
But that's still a long shot. If we can't get him/go for him, I think we'll look for a veteran who can bring something extra to the team than being just a back up for the rest of the season. Raul from Al Sadd may be? Though I don't have the faintest clue how he's been doing lately.
Just no for Raul! How did you even remember him? Haha!
This team is playing some of the sexiest football right now and even if Giroud is not the most gifted player in the team, he still is one of the most important parts of it, but I'd like his backup to be different, an "Arsenal" sort of player, one who has neat touches.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 am

Lewandowski would be perfect, but he has his heart set on Bayern.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33 am

The problem is we need a decent striker who can score goals, yet wouldn't mind being on the bench. Because for now Giroud is undropable.

Llorente on loan (with option to buy) will be my ideal signing in January.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:34 am

Samritpal Singh wrote:The problem is we need a decent striker who can score goals, yet wouldn't mind being on the bench. Because for now Giroud is undropable.

Llorente on loan (with option to buy) will be my ideal signing in January.
Most top teams have at least 2, if not 3 or 4 top strikers. They generally are able to keep them happy.

If we play 60 games in a season, and have 2 strikers, them each having 30 starts each is reasonable, but agree, maybe not enough for Giroud and Lewandowski.

Maybe if Lewandowski is able to play right or left forward at times, then I think it is possible. This week for sure, 1 would have started today, and the other against Dortmund.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 pm

From what I have seen Suarez or Lewandowski would be ideal. They can score goals whilst also linking up with others, they'd suit our style of play and are both versatile.

I have read quite a few articles in the past couple of weeks about us being interested in Jackson Martinez from Porto. Don't know a lot about him though but there seems to be a lot of praise about him.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:24 am

Rumours out there suggesting we are linked with El Shaarawy and Pato.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:58 am

Listed 10 strikers, off the top of my head, we have been linked with recently in order of "class", form and profile (I know not everyone will agree) :

Suarez
Rooney
Pato
Lewandowski
Benzema
El Shaarawy
Llorente
Benteke
Michu
Jackson Martinez

The first four; Suarez, Rooney, Pato or Lewandowski would take us to the next level.

The next two; Benzema and El Shaarawy would improve the team slight though they might find it difficult to displace Giroud and Walcott from the 1st team.

The last four; Llorente, Benteke, Michu and Jackson Martinez would provide competition and cover for Giroud (in current form) and would be an improvement on Bendtner and Park.

The only reason I have placed Jackson Martinez so low is that compared to the others he is playing in the least competitive league (Pato has played at the highest level for Milan and Brazil).

Also linked with Niang again though if we were to sign him he would definitely be one for the future.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Meshaal wrote:Listed 10 strikers, off the top of my head, we have been linked with recently in order of "class", form and profile (I know not everyone will agree) :

Suarez
Rooney
Pato
Lewandowski
Benzema
El Shaarawy
Llorente
Benteke
Michu
Jackson Martinez

The first four; Suarez, Rooney, Pato or Lewandowski would take us to the next level.

The next two; Benzema and El Shaarawy would improve the team slight though they might find it difficult to displace Giroud and Walcott from the 1st team.

The last four; Llorente, Benteke, Michu and Jackson Martinez would provide competition and cover for Giroud (in current form) and would be an improvement on Bendtner and Park.

The only reason I have placed Jackson Martinez so low is that compared to the others he is playing in the least competitive league (Pato has played at the highest level for Milan and Brazil).

Also linked with Niang again though if we were to sign him he would definitely be one for the future.
I'd rate Benteke up there with Pato.

Sounds weird, but how good would it to be able to bring Benteke off the bench against Liverpool this weekend if it was even?

And he has plenty of time to improve.

I trust Wenger to make the right choice.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next