Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

+9
Joey Schwab
kdunn
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Steve Dawson
Chris Chan
Mike York
Michael Foster
Mario
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13 - Page 5 Empty Re: Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:Well its not realistic just my five favourite midfielders in the same team, I really would rather play with more midfielders though in all honesty. We have bollock loads of midfielders when all fit.

I see what your saying....who would you have out in the wide slots?
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13 - Page 5 Empty Re: Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

-----------------------ARTETA-----------------------

---------------DIABY-----------WILSHERE---------

CAZORLA-----------------------------------ROSICKY

----------------------WALCOTT-----------------------

Obviously it would have to be fluid and interchangable and with the wide players coming inside, playing as midfielders rather than with wide forwards like we do now. I really would like to see us making room for Rosicky but with everyone fit our midfield options are stacked!

Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Rosicky, Frimpong, Cazorla, Chamberlain, Diaby, Coquelin...its a damn shame that Frimpong hasnt developed how we would have liked because if he had become a very promising young disciplined DM then we really would have every option in the midfield.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Yer good formation....hopefully we get to see Abu at the weekend....might be bit of a push for him but Wenger stands by the lad and it would be interesting to see where he would fit him back in...in all fairness your midfield 5 could be a big possibility....it would also give us that all elusive plan b....we could revert to a 3-1-2

Wilshere----Diaby-----arteta

-------------cazorla-------------

-----Theo--------podolski----

A three across the back of mid like that would see me happy....plenty of defensive duty and yet still dynamic going forward...caz feeding Theo and podolski also running into the channels opened up by the pair.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Also somebody asked me quite a good little question the other day regarding how long do we think we will have arteta for.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 pm

I'd love to see Diaby play against City but I think it will be too soon for him, real shame if thats the case as he could really change the midfield battle especially as they are without Toure.

Arteta? As in, how long will he stay for? I dont see him going anywhere but I will say this, if we bought a true DM who would play most games, I think Wilshere is already better than Arteta, so I dont think he would play as much, we have a plethora of central midfield players and Arteta isnt getting any younger, as of today though, he is VERY important.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Yes yes...exactly that and the jack idea was also noted..he is just as good as arteta...I think something as simple as Abu coming back could really throw things about and that's without possible signings......and don't know if its me but arteta seams to be really slowing up...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Another thing that popped up was could we make a back 3 and smother midfield...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 pm

We could, but its all pie in the sky because we know Wenger wont radically change our formation and style. In essence we would love another midfield place for a defender as our two fullbacks are so advanced normally anyway, what your basically saying is could we lose our deepest mid for another defender, whether it be playing our 3 CBs or having two of them and Sagna as a right sided CB. We would only have two in the midfield and would have to move Cazorla into the front three.

I dont think Arteta's pace is a problem, he is a leader and always gives 100%, he should be in the team, but we need some cover for him as he just isnt a natural DM for me and never will be.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Totally..you could have in affect two sat in more a defensive slot..but still have the extra capacity of going forward..I would just rather our defenders...defend for now anyway until they sort they're shit out...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Emmanuel Frimpong will have have a future at Arsenal according to Arsene Wenger when he returns from his loan spell at Fulham.

The tenacious midfielder spent the first half of the season on loan at Championship side Charlton and will now spend the rest of the season at Fulham in a bid to play first team football and regain full sharpness following a lengthy knee injury.

"At the moment he has many players in front of him and he is at an age where he needs to play," Frimpong told the club's official website.

"I am 100 per cent convinced he has the quality to play in the Premier League.

"He comes back from injury, the players in front of him are fit and he’s a bit stuck there. I want to give him an opportunity to play."

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/wenger-sure-that-frimpong-has-arsenal-future-22968/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 pm

Makes sense but he said the same about Lansbury...Frimpong is much better than Lansbury though, I genuinely hope he gets game time and plays well, im skeptical, but heres to Karagounis and Sidwell having serious issues in the next six months!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 pm

http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/2013/england-denmark-report-050213

Chuba Akpom scored twice for England under 19s, that's now 5 goals in 4 games

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 am

Get the lad on the bench!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 am

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm

According to NewsatDen.co.uk, Benik Afobe join Millwall tomorrow when the emergency loan window opens to clubs in the Football League.

The attacker returned to North London last month having cut short a season-long deal with Bolton Wanderers, however, with Arsene Wenger eager for the England under-21 international to continue his development away from the Emirates it appears a move to Kenny Jackett’s outfit has been sanctioned.

Millwall are currently six points off the Championship play-off places but will be hoping Afobe can prove himself more effective than he did at the Reebok Stadium where he only got on the scoresheet three times in 24 appearances.

In addition to his spell at Bolton, Afobe has also spent time with Huddersfield Town and Reading. The length of the deal is yet to be confirmed.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/02/afobe-set-for-emergency-millwall-loan/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+Arsenal+news+site%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 pm

True to myself I hope the choice of subject for the anniversary blog is very me and judging by the feedback on my Afobe piece last week it seems appropriate. I was a writer for Gunnersphere before I began writing for myself I wrote 2 articles on our star youths at the end of 2011. One was on Afobe and yes you guessed it, the other was on his partner in crime Chuks Aneke. It was called Chuks Aneke – The new Patrick Vieira. So given his brief return from his Crewe Alexandra loan, I thought it would be good to discover why Steve Davis the Crewe boss was so keen to have him straight back. But as with the investigative nature of the Afobe blog I wanted to get behind the impressive numbers and dig a bit deeper.

No harm in starting with the number though as they make good reading:

22 Appearances, including 17 starts – 6 Goals and 4 assists for Crewe Alexandra pushing for the play offs this term in League 1 and the cup competitions

I have been in touch with some local Crewe bloggers and reporters but first I thought you might be interested in a poll taken by a Crewe fan site http://www.blogcrewealex.com/ in December just before Chuks returned to Arsenal. This is for the November player of the Month as voted for by his blog subscribers and twitter followers. I sadly have not got a response from this chap but when you see the results it doesn’t really matter how many voted.

Results

Player
Vote Percentage
Chuks Aneke 100%
Lauri Dalla Valle 0%
Matthias Pogba 0%
Alan Martin 0%
Matt Tootle 0%
Mark Ellis 0%
Harry Davis 0%
Gregor Robertson 0%
Abdul Osman 0%
Luke Murphy 0%
Bryon Moore 0%

Quite honestly I am not sure I have ever seen a player get 100% of the vote in any poll I have seen have you?

This sort of strike from that very month of course might help to explain it – Wonder goal v Wycombe

So what do I know? Well he is built like Vieira, has the touch of Kanu and a shot like Podolski, but is he any good in reality and will he make the grade. If he does it will not be easy as the role he has played through the youth ranks and into the reserves has been the central attacking midfield role. We all know the current competition among the 1st team squad for that coveted position. Anyway enough of me it is time to ask those who truly know and that is those who have been watching him week in week on this season for Crewe.

I am delighted to welcome three guest contributors:

Adrian Dobson from the Crewe Alex Supporters Initiative (@CreweAsi) http://www.creweasi.co.uk/

Ian Athers from unofficial Crewe blog (@CreweMad) http://www.crewealexandra-mad.co.uk/

Peter Morse, the Chief Sports Writer and Crewe Alex Correspondent for the Cheshire News (@PeterMorse)

So lets’ get straight on with the questions I posed……

Interview

GD66: Chuks Aneke has been very highly thought of at Arsenal but so have many youngsters over past decade. It is great to have him spend time at a club renown for playing football the right way. How has he fitted in at Crewe this season?

Adrian: I think Chuks had to quickly alter his style of play on arriving at Crewe. Not a great start getting sent off away at Stevenage in one of his first appearances for a two footed tackle but did become an integral part of our rise up League One. However I still feel that nobody is too sure of his best position.

Peter: Very well, he instantly won the respect of the players and coaches with some excellent displays in training which he was soon able to replicate in matches. He seems a quiet lad who has suffered from homesickness at times but everyone at the club is glad he has returned until the end of the season.

Ian: He has fitted in nicely and players have taken to him and the manager Steve Davis praises him highly and was really desperate to secure another loan spell at the club. He has done what he has been asked to but his position in midfield he has done well.

GD66: He has been described as Vieira like due to his build but has played CM or just behind the striker in the youth team and reserves, What formation have Crewe been playing and where has Aneke played in the system?

Adrian: Perhaps not the right thing to say to an Arsenal fan, but I always likened him to Teddy Sheringham. At times looking like he was coasting through a game, and then creates that little bit of magic which could be the difference between winning and losing. We did play him in several positions, but i felt his best one was playing behind the strike force where he could create most damage to the opposition. He played out wide in midfield on occasions and he appeared to struggle in that role.

Peter: Crewe are known for being willing and able to change their formation and this probably has not been to Chuks’ advantage. He isn’t an easy player to ‘pigeon-hole’ in a position anyway, so he has played CM, in behind the front one, behind a front two, wide in a midfield-four and wide in an attack three. The more advanced and central positions suit him best, but when Crewe switched to 3-5-2 for a short while he dropped out of the team. They are back with 4-4-2 at the minute so that will be easier for him.

Ian: Aneke has been playing on the wing in some of the early games and looked a bit lost but he seems to flourish in midfield when we played a diamond formation. (Oh my word do teams still play 442 diamonds, shock, horror! Yes it bloody works.)

GD66: For my readers who have not seen much of him yet what would you describe as his biggest strengths and attributes? Or indeed his weaknesses?

Adrian: Certainly has an eye for goal, and you could always expect at least one defence splitting pass during a game. I do feel his one weakness is his pace (or lack of it). At times in the hurly burly of League One perhaps he wanted too much time on the ball and was caught in possession.

Peter: He scores and makes goals. He has the ability to make something out of nothing and see things others don’t. he has scored from range, from inside the box and with his head, and he is versatile. Negatives – he doesn’t defend well and is work rate is lower than you would expect.

Ian: His biggest strength is an eye for goals and he has scored at least two good goals also he can play a killer pass which has proved effective with us netting some goals. His weakness is that he can be lazy and some time disinterested in games where he disappears but I feel this is because of his age.

GD66: I see he has appeared 22 times for you and mostly from the start and scored 4 goals. Any particular performances or goals truly stand out for you?

Adrian: You got the same from Chuks most weeks. Frustrating, with him needlessly losing the ball, closely followed by elation as he split the defence to set up a goal. His last appearance in a Crewe shirt was coming on as sub for the last 20 minutes in Johnstones Paint Trophy semi final. With the game delicately poised at 2-1 for Crewe, in his short time on the pitch Chuks set one up and then blasted home another to take us through to the final and one tie from Wembley.

Peter: He was actually playing very well at Stevenage, creating two good goals, before he was sent off for a miss-timed lunge! He has learned from that. And his first goal for Crewe, in a 2-1 win over Hartlepool, was a magnificent strike from an angle which left the keeper no chance.

Ian: His displays in the games I have seen him have been varied but the Stevenage game he had a very good game and scored a good goal even though we lost 2-1 and the 3-2 win over Colchester United he played really well.

GD66: Do you think he will have return to Arsenal a better player/individual for his regular game time in a tough League 1 and do you see him being able to step up the Premier League in the near future?

Adrian: Chuks is not always easy on the eye, but nobody could doubt his talent and he has shown he can score and create goals. Hopefully his time at Crewe has improved him as a player, only time will tell. Unfortunately, with a lot of clubs, youth is not given a chance but Chuks is certainly one worth considering for the future.

Peter: There is no doubt he will have benefited from the experience. He will have learned some of the harsh ‘realities’ of football, ie how you have to play well to keep your place, how you have to be responsible in defending even if you are an attacking player, and just understood the pressure of playing competitive games. He will also return confident from proving he can cut it in the professional game. I personally think Chuks is some way off playing for Arsenal, he needs to define a role he can play in, up his work rate take fewer touches on the ball and become responsible defensively. However, there is no doubt he has the quality and ability to make it at the top level in the loner term.
Ian: Yeah he would return a better player he has learned from his debut when he got sent off at Stevenage he came back wanting to show the Crewe faithful what he has to offer. Also being at Crewe he would be getting good training and the way Crewe play is something similar to Arsenal as we like to pass it round.

GD66: If no do you think he will after perhaps a loan at a Championship side?

Adrian: Forget the Championship, I’d gladly take him back in our push for the play offs. He seemed to enjoy his time here so hopefully the Alexandra Stadium has not seen the last of him in a Crewe shirt. (obviously Adrian got his wish and Chuks has returned since this interview.)

Peter: I think that would be beneficial for him, just another step up on his learning curve.

Ian: Yeah I think he could quite easily play for a Championship side in the future.

Thanks guys. Superb again to get support from the football family to produce a meaningful blog on Aneke, based on the here and now and with the inside track from true Crewe observers. I think Adrian has a particular soft spot for Chuks and here might be why:
Chuks pictured here with Adrian's young lad

So unlike with Afobe, it would appear the locals where Chuks has been on loan have been impressed. So let me summarise what I have learned and conclude. We have a hugely talented individual who wants to ply his trade centrally. He is not happy out wide and presently appears reluctant to work hard defensively. This of course can be worked on. He is undoubtedly a game influence at the fore of a midfield diamond, as Vieira was to be honest but would also be comfortable in the CAM role is our existing set up or perhaps as a No.10 just off a main striker in a 442. All my guests highlight is ability to spot a defence splitting pass, (something we lack on occasion) and that he has the eye for a spectactular goal. His launguid style, can make him appear lazy but his long legs do carry him faster than perhaps it appears. He reminds me a little bit of Kanu in some ways, which is no bad thing, and despite being a North London boy, at Arsenal since he was 9, he has opted to play for Nigeria.

http://1nildown2oneup.net/the-new-patrick-vieira-the-next-jay-emmanuel-thomas-or-just-our-own-chuks-aneke/

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 am

Frimpong starts for Fulham!!!!!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Arsenal have snapped up teenage wonderkid Indio on a week long trial.

Check in to Arsenal vs Aston Villa

The highly-rated Vasco da Gama midfielder will spend time at the club gaining experience says he is anxious to get going with the Gunners.

The youngster also said he would love to move a European club permanently in the future.

“I’m anxious for this new stage in my life. Of course I have the dream of playing for a European club, but everything has its right time. It will be a good experience. I want to learn,” Indio is quoted as saying by Sky Sports.

The player also expressed his admiration for Arsenal forward Theo Walcott, saying: ”I like him a lot. His style of play is very fast, which pleases me.”

While this may only be a week trial for Indio and seemingly nothing more at this moment in time, it could be a sign that Arsene Wenger is already looking towards the next crop of young midfielders that he will look to develop and bring through the Arsenal ranks.

Where some Arsenal fans may see this a good investment, some may be wondering why Arsene is not looking at the immediate future of the team.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/arsenal-bring-in-brazilian-wonderkid-on-trial/107560/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Mike York wrote:
Where some Arsenal fans may see this a good investment, some may be wondering why Arsene is not looking at the immediate future of the team.

Do they really have to mention this line every time we sign up a new youngster?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm

On-loan Fulham midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong hopes to use Jack Wilshere as an inspiration to force himself back into contention for Arsenal and on the road towards the 2014 World Cup with Ghana.

Frimpong, 21, made his debut for Fulham in Saturday's goalless draw at Norwich, having moved across London for the second time this season after a short spell at Charlton.

The tough-tackling Ghana-born midfielder, who came to London aged eight, has battled back from two serious knee injuries which have hampered his progress

Wilshere has been through his own fitness battles, recovering from more than a year out to return in great form for the Gunners and produced a man-of-the-match display against Brazil at Wembley last week.

Frimpong came through the Arsenal youth system alongside Wilshere, and has his sights set on a similarly bright future.

'That is football, sometimes you are going to get good luck, sometimes you are going to get bad luck, and I have had loads of injuries, but I mean to get over it just like Jack has,' Frimpong said.

'He has got over his injury and now he is playing for England. That is what I trying and do - to get over my injuries and start playing football on a regular basis.'

Frimpong added: 'Jack is a great footballer. For his age and for what he is doing, he is an inspiration obviously because every young player in the Premier League wants to achieve what he is doing.

'Since I have been here, I haven't really spoken to him, but when I am at Arsenal, we do speak on a regular basis. I am happy for him and what he is achieving in football.'

Frimpong hopes he can gain a regular run in the Fulham side to return to Arsenal ready to impress next season.

'The boss at Arsenal, Mr Wenger, told me to come here and get some games because there is no point sitting on the bench at Arsenal,' the midfielder said.

'He said to come here and show what you can do, get some games under your belt, then come back next season and see what happens.'

Frimpong represented England at youth level, but in November 2012 was cleared by FIFA to play for Ghana.

Although he missed out on the African Nations Cup squad, Frimpong hopes it will not be long before he lines up for the Black Stars.

He added: 'The [Ghana] manager said to me 'make sure you do well for your club side and after the African Nations Cup, I am going to call you up.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2276872/Emmanuel-Frimpong-looks-Jack-Wilshere-inspiration-fitness-battle.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490#axzz2Kai04AI2
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:
Mike York wrote:

Do they really have to mention this line every time we sign up a new youngster?

Certain things will always be mentioned in media when it comes to Arsenal. That is one of them. Isn't as annoying as banging on about the seasons without a trophy though as if it's unheard of and no other side has gone this long without one.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 am

Arsenal's Joel Campbell singled out by Spanish press as 'destined for greatness'

Arsenal loanee Joel Campbell has long been a player fans of the Gunners are excited about, now they have even more reason to be.

Joel Campbell was signed by Arsenal a couple of summers ago but is yet to get a chance in their colours to show his talent due to work permit issues.

So last season he was loaned out to French side Lorient in Ligue One, but it was a tough education for him - scoring just three times in 25 appearances.

It was in the international arena where he made the biggest impression, scoring for Costa Rica in a friendly against World champions Spain, which he followed up by netting against Aaron Ramsey's Wales.

This season he has been loaned to La Liga side Real Betis, who occupy an impressive eighth in the table upon their return to the top flight.

It took Campbell a little while to force his way into the first team reckoning, but the striker has started every game for his club in 2013.

The problem for him at present is he is going through a goal drought, he has only bagged two, and hasn't netted since January 13 in a 2-0 home win over Levante.

The flip side of the coin is that his overall performances have been impressive enough to see him lauded by top Spanish newspaper Marca.

The publication has singled him out along with six others as one of their 'seven young guns destined for greatness'. Among those also listed are Real Madrid centre-half Raphael Varane, Isco, and Chelsea's loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.

Marca surmises that Campbell has 'shone' for Betis this season, adding that Arsene Wenger is more than likely to bring him back to Arsenal next season.

Among the attributes of Campbell's game which mark him out is his willingness to shoot - he has the third most shots per game of the whole Betis squad (which of course asks why he isn't converting more - but this is clearly for him to work on.)

Of players who have played more than five games for Betis; Campbell is the squad's most prolific dribbler, completing more successful runs with the ball than any of his teammates.

This has also counted against him because he has been fouled more times than any other Betis player because of the danger he poses with his willingness to take players on.

The coming months between now and the end of the season will tell Arsenal a lot about Campbell's character and whether he is ready to be a factor next season or not. In the middle of a goal drought, the striker needs to pull through and come out the other side on fine form.

Hopefully for his sake, this little confidence booster will help, rather than simply piling on more pressure.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/02/20/arsenals-joel-campbell-singled-out-by-spanish-press-as-destined/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 am

Benik Afobe has suffered a knee injury while playing on loan at Millwall.

The 20-year-old forward sustained the injury to hisleft knee in a Championship match against WolverhamptonWanderers at The Den. Subsequent investigations have confirmed a torn anteriorcruciate ligament.

Afobe, who had beenon loan at Millwallsince February will now return to Arsenal and will undergo surgery shortly.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:31 am

I'm not one who has the chance to watch that many of our youngsters but at 20, he needs to be closer to the first team than he currently is. I think its a matter of time before we see his back.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Through to the semi final in the NextGen series with a Gnabry goal.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next