Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Cheers Mario. Mixed news across the board. I hope Ryo starts getting more game time soon.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Arsene Wenger is in no mood to Loan out Emmanuel Frimpong, not until he spends enough time on the pitch.

Emmanuel Frimpong, the 20 year old midfielder who just made a comeback for the Arsenal side after he picked up an injury on a loan spell at Wolves is strongly linked to be wanted by the Championship side again at the Molineux on loan. Frimpong made his return in the North London Club’s match against Coventry in the Capital One Cup, where he came on a s a substitute.

Earlier in February Frimpong had damaged his knee cruciate Ligament while at Wolves. And since then he has been on road to recovery. However, Arsene wenger has ruled out the possibility of Frimpong being loaned. It din’t seem like Frimpong is going anywhere anytime soon. He said Frimpong needs more time as he is not ready yet.

Wenger said: “I don’t know yet. He needs to play a few games and he is not ready yet. I have heard of their (Wolves) interest but he needs to get back to a competitive edge first before we plan anything for him.”

http://www.soccerplay.net/wenger-gives-verding-on-frimpong-loan/29239

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 am

I was at last night 2-0 win over Reading, and it featured a fair few first teamers..

Absolutely brilliant to see Jack Wilshere back, after a quiet first 15 mins he really grew into the game and pretty much ran the midfield from then on, until he got subbed with about 15 mins left. Set up a couple of decent chances as well. Sagna was quiet but solid enough, he got an hour before replaced by the impressive Bellerin. Frimpong worked pretty hard and put in a few crunching tackles, and also provided a laugh with his over the top reaction when the ref didn't produce a card for a dodgy Reading tackle. Santos also played (I expect to get some match fitness if he has to replace Gibbs after the internationals), and he was pretty average, replaced with 5 mins left.

Also a shout out to the impressive Serge Gnabry who had a very strong game and scored a cracking curling shot. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing for a place on the bench during the second half of the season. Wenger is apparantly pretty high on him, and did pretty well when he came on against Coventry in the League Cup.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 am

Santos seams the type of player that needs a run of games to get going.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Arsenal - The other young Jack with a promising future ahead of him

Jack Jebb may forever be compared with namesake Jack Wilshere but he has bags of potential himself, so who is he?

While nobody ever wants to hype up a young player too much in the early stages of their development there can also be a propensity in this country for a players obvious talents to be ignored.

A star player however in the making should not have such an issue at his club where his high technical ability should endear him to the Arsenal hierarchy.

The player in question is Jack Jebb, and the first-name similarities are not where it ends with current first-teamer Jack Wilshere.

So here are a few stats on an English talent with the technical abilities we need to change our perception of how the game should be played in this country.

1. Jack Jebb joined the Arsenal academy a year early, similarly to Jack Wilshere and has testified to its effectiveness…

‘’Me and Chuba [Akpom] are almost a year ahead of the other boys in our own age group so that is obviously going to help us for the future.’’

2. Despite being just 16-years-old Jebb made significant strides last season, playing with the under-18s.

3. His development has not gone unnoticed as he signed his first professional contract with the club at the tail-end of last month.

4. A creative and talented technical prodigy he is also industrious, extremely fit and can cover much of the pitch with his hard working attitude.

5. He has also been compared to Paul Scholes and judging by his own assessment of his ability you can see why … “I try to be a creative central midfielder who likes going forward and having shots, while scoring is always nice I like to create opportunities for other players if I can.’’

6. He is also deadly from set-pieces as free-kicks against Leicester City and at international level for England against Northern Ireland last March.

7. An England youth international he has made five caps for the England under-17 side.

8. After receiving his first pro-contract he celebrated with a goal for the under-18s just three days later against West Ham United.

9. His Twitter page describes him as ‘working hard and always trying to improve’ which is necessary in such a competitive academy, but the reward of a pro-contract doesn’t come easily so there must be plans to see him feature eventually.

10. Arsenal fans believe in his promise along with that of Chuba Akpom, here are a few tweets about the talented 17-year-old.

Deano ‏@DeanAFC1989 Would quite like to see how Jack Jebb would do playing with Olsson, Gnabry, Akpom. Think it would bring the best out of him.

Melvin Kwok ‏@melvinkwok Liverpool youngsters have great potential? No, Arsenal has Jack Jebb, remember that name. 5 years time you see.

Brendan ‏@AFC_93 Good to see Jack Jebb in the U19's squad for the NextGen game tonight.

William Savage ‏@SavageGooner Jebb is promising, hoping he can kick on and establish himself this season. Akpom is a real talent, one to keep an eye on.

Rob ‏@r0bh0pkins he is so clinical! Had jack Jebb in our school the other day as our deputy head used to coach him #prospect

Certainly a name to look out for in the reserves, youth-team and NextGen fixtures this season….

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/10/09/mn-arsenal-fc-the-other-young-jack-with-a-promising-future-ahead/

Don't know much about him but after reading this I hope it is true and we have another gem on our hands.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Seeing as Akpom was mentioned:

Young forward Chuba Akpom has signed professional terms with the Club.

The Newham-born youngster, who celebrated his 17th birthday this week, is already a regular in Terry Burton’s Under-21 side, for whom he scored his first goal in the 2-0 victory over Reading on Monday night.

Chuba has demonstrated his eye for goal in the NextGen Series this season too, netting twice in three appearances in Europe’s elite youth competition.

A prodigious talent, he was selected for the under-18s at just 15 years of age in 2010/11, and went on to make 15 appearances at that level last year as a schoolboy.

Chuba has represented England at a number of youth levels and scored three goals in four games for the under-17s at the 2011 Nordic Tournament.

Everyone at Arsenal would like to congratulate Chuba on his first professional contract and we look forward to his continued progression with the Club.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/chuba-akpom-signs-first-professional-contract

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:10 am

Good to see him get a contract. Seen him play a few times for the U21's now and he's a decent little player. Too early to tell if he's good enough for the first team, the kid is only 17, but I like the look of him.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 am

Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong has great faith in the club's young stars, claiming that Thomas Eisfeld and Kristoffer Olsson in particular have shown that they have very bright futures under Arsene Wenger.

Eisfeld and Olsson are amongst a host of players in the Gunners Under 21 side who have been on the border of getting a mention for the senior squad.

And while Frimpong has been playing alongside the Arsenal starlets as he continues to recover from injury, he admitted the pair caught both his and Wilshere's eyes on the pitch.

"I really like Thomas Eisfeld," he told the Arsenal website. "I've hardly ever played with him before because I have been injured, but he looks really good.

"I also really like Kristoffer Olsson as well. When I played with them against Everton, after the game me and Jack [Wilshere] said to each other, 'Wow, they are really good'.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/399963/20121031/arsenal-emmanuel-frimpong-jack-wilshere-youngsters-league.htm

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Chuks Aneke continued his good form for Crewe Alexandra, with the 19 year old midfielder scoring an impressive goal in his side’s 4-1 win over Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup. Aneke played 82 minutes and found the net with a vicious strike.

Crewe manager Steve Davis praised Aneke after the game. He said: “Chuks gets a lot of criticism for his style and the way he lumbers around,” admitted Davis. “But he’s got great feet and he can shoot like that with both. He switched it from right to left and unleashed a terrific dipping shot. There was only one thought in his mind – we know he can score those sort of goals.”

Craig Eastmond and Sanchez Watt both started for Colchester United but neither lasted the whole 90 minutes as the League One side suffered a shock 3-1 defeat to Chelmsford in the FA Cup First Round. Watt caused problems with a dangerous free-kick but was withdrawn on the hour mark, with Eastmond joining him in departing proceedings eight minutes later.

Conor Henderson wasn’t part of the Coventry City side which dispatched of non-league Arlesey in the same competition, whilst Daniel Boateng was denied a return to the familiar surroundings of Underhill as he was left out of the Oxford United squad which took on Barnet.

Ryo missed out again for Wigan Athletic through injury and Benik Afobe was an un-used substitute for Bolton Wanderers in the Championship. Striker Philip Roberts was in action, though, with the 18 year old playing 74 minutes of Inverness Caledonian Thsitle’s win over Kilmarnock and causing problems for the opposition with several shots on target.

Nicklas Bendtner was introduced at the start of the second-half as Juventus lost 3-1 to Inter Milan, with the striker spurning a glorious opportunity from close range. Ju-Young Park came on for the last 11 minutes as Celta Vigo suffered a defeat to Barcelona at the Nou Camp.

Denilson‘s Sao Paulo take on Fluminense today, whilst Joel Campbell‘s Real Betis side take on Getafe in the late kick-off in La Liga. Wellington and Samuel Galindo, meanwhile, are expected to be on the bench for Ponferradina and Lugo respectively.

http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/loan-report-aneke-scores-again-bendtner-misses-gilt-edged-chance/

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Charlton Athletic have pulled off a coup by signing midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong on loan from Arsenal until January 3.

The 20-year-old made his Gunners debut back in August 2010 but has been restricted to just six first-team appearances following two serious knee injuries.

Frimpong is highly rated by Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger and the loan is seen as an opportunity for the player to experience first-team football.

'We’re really happy that he’s coming in to join our squad, and we welcome him to the club,' said Charlton manager Chris Powell, who's side sit in 14th place in the Championship.

'We’ve had our eye on him for a while, and with the busy Christmas period to come, I felt it was right to make sure that we are covered in all areas. We hope that does very well for us in the red or black of Charlton.'

Frimpong had a loan spell at Wolves last season cut short by injury - he mad just five appearances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2235141/Emmanuel-Frimpong-joins-Charlton-loan-Arsenal.html

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Park scored for Celta Vigo yesterday.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Frimpong needs an extended period of first team football without injury if he has a chance to make it here now.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Frimpong needs an extended period of first team football without injury if he has a chance to make it here now.

I hope that comment is spot on fella....

Sadly I cannot see him making it with us,although I love the guy his abilities,attitude..everything just think he might be one that wonders into the distance.....just hope he proves my comment wrong....
The move will do him wonders no doubt and as you said he needs consistent game time week in week out..

Ol ting tong Walla Walla frimpong....come good son.

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:44 am

Sao Paulo 0-0 Universidad Catolica
Wednesday, November 28
Denilson played the full 90 minutes as Sao Paulo drew with Universidad Catolica to qualify for the Copa Sudamericana final. The midfielder was booked after three minutes as his side went through on away goals.

Emmanuel Frimpong
Charlton 2-0 Peterborough
Tuesday, November 27
Emmanuel Frimpong started as Charlton left it late to beat Peterborough at the Valley. The midfielder was booked before being substituted after 74 minutes.

Philip Roberts
Aberdeen 2-3 Inverness CT
Tuesday, November 27
Philip Roberts was replaced after an hour as Inverness won at Pittodrie.

Joel Campbell
Real Betis 3-0 Real Valladolid
Tuesday, November 27
Joel Campbell started as Real Betis beat Real Valladolid in the Copa del Rey. The striker was substituted after 76 minutes.

Benik Afobe
Blackburn 1-2 Bolton
Wednesday, November 28
Benik Afobe was an unused substitute as Bolton triumphed over Blackburn at Ewood Park.

Wellington
Getafe 0-0 Ponferradina
Wednesday, November 28
Wellington was an unused substitute as Ponferradina drew with Getafe in the Copa del Rey.

Haven't updated this recently, although everything is on the website for those who want to follow, but it doesn't seem we're missing much.

Half our players don't start, a few don't even make the squad (Henderson has barely played at all, same as Boateng, even Bendtner) and a few have picked up injuries (Ryo, Watt).

Seems Frimpong has started well in his first two games, Charlton manager Chris Powell is happy with him -

"He was good again, he wants the ball and he wants to get on it," said Powell.

"He's definitely contributed to us. He wants the ball, he doesn't hide.

"He's a good footballer. He's very strong in the tackle as you saw [against Peterborough] and obviously he's well-schooled by Arsenal. I think he'll get stronger and better each and every game."

... and Chuks Aneke also seems to be doing ok. Has scored 3/4 goals and is playing quite a bit.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 am

Arsenal Under-21s: Mannone, Jenkinson, Angha, Hajrovic, Santos, Coquelin, Diaby, Frimpong, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Eisfeld, Akpom.

That's the team who started today vs West Brom, currently 1-1. Santos the scorer

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 am

Should think diaby will be squeezed back into the side...would love to see him have a full season to show what he can do...

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 am

I would hope so, we've really missed him, he was an absolute monster against Pool. His return better not mean we miss out on a DM though

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:41 am

Chris Chan wrote:I would hope so, we've really missed him, he was an absolute monster against Pool. His return better not mean we miss out on a DM though

Oh completely......Its been no coincidence that our shite defensive form came with abu being injured but granted I still want us to sign a DM aswell...I would happily take a cut in the attacking stakes of our team I think one problem we have at the moment is too many people trying to get forward....

Bring back Abu!!

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am

Oh any idea what the FT score was?

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 am

FT 1-1

iaby and Andre Santos started 2013 with a 1-1 draw at home to West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday afternoon.

After going behind to Adil Nabi’s header midway through the first half, Terry Burton’s side equalised on the stroke of half time after Santos finished a fine team move.

Emmanuel Frimpong was sent off near the end of the game for a second bookable offence as the hosts were forced to settle for a point against their stubborn visitors.

Burton named a strong side for the first game of the Elite Group stage. Diaby made his first appearance since sustaining a thigh strain against Chelsea in late September, while Santos, whose last first-team appearance came in the 5-2 win against Tottenham in November, also started.

They were joined by the likes of Carl Jenkinson, Francis Coquelin, Frimpong and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, with Vito Mannone in goal.

The game began without much incident. Too often, Burton’s side threatened to force an opportunity, only to be let down by a stray final ball.

They dominated possession in the early stages, but it was the visitors that forced the first opportunity of the game as Nabi’s shot from outside the area was parried away by Mannone.

Arsenal responded well and, after Thomas Eisfeld’s dangerous cross had only been partially cleared, Coquelin drilled a 30-yard volley off target.

With the imposing Diaby orchestrating proceedings from midfield, the home side continued to see more of the ball. A nice move culminated in Frimpong’s centre being cleared just in front of Chuba Akpom, who had previously just strayed offside when Jenkinson’s raking pass had looked to set him free.

It came as a surprise then that Arsenal fell behind after enjoying the better of the opening 20 minutes.

Sam Mantom floated in a free-kick that was met by the head of Nabi, who looped a header over the standed Mannone.

Almost immediately Frimpong - playing in an unfamiliar left-wing role - saw a powerful shot deflected into the arms of Luke Daniels.

Then at the other end, Romaine Sawyers beat the offside trap before Mannone came out quickly to smother his shot.

The action quickly returned to the other end and, after picking the ball up in space, Oxlade-Chamberlain’s swerving shot from fully 25 yards was parried away by Daniels.

Burton’s team were finishing the half well. A sliding Frimpong was inches away from connecting with Jenkinson’s searching cross, before they finally drew level on the stroke of the half-time interval.

Diaby picked up possession midway inside the visitors’ half. The Frenchman drilled a pass into the path of Frimpong, who dummied the ball to set the overlapping Santos free. The left back made no mistake, striding into the penalty area before clinically slotting the ball into the far corner.

The returning Diaby had produced an impressive display in the heart of midfield. He embarked on a surging run 52 minutes in, before setting Oxlade-Chamberlain away down the right. The winger advanced to the byline before crossing for Akpom, whose header was parried away by Daniels at point-blank range.

With the visitors dropping deeper in the second half, Arsenal continued to enjoy the majority of possession. However, in a similar trend to the first half, they often struggled to find the killer pass.

Santos came close to his second just after the hour, curling a free-kick a yard wide of Daniels’ post.

Burton withdrew Diaby 25 minutes from time. The 26-year-old had been the home side’s stand-out performer and will no doubt have been happy to complete more than an hour on his return to action.

Conor Henderson, back from his loan spell at Coventry, replaced Diaby and forced Daniels into a comfortable save from long range, before the same player broke into the area with 15 minutes to play, only to see his pull-back in the direction of Eisfeld cleared to safety.

After being pinned into their own half for the majority of the second period, West Brom and Nabi twice came close to stealing victory.

First, the forward was denied by a sharp stop from Mannone after the goalkeeper’s weak pass had created the chance. Then, his effort from outside the area looked destined for the net before Martin Angha got up to flick the ball over the crossbar.

The afternoon’s display was tarnished late on, when, having already been booked, Frimpong was sent off for kicking the ball away, having committed an earlier foul.

All in all though, this was an encouraging workout and a solid start to the new year for Burton’s team.

Sounds like diaby had a good game...bring him back and see what he can do....

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 am

I would bloody love to see a midfield of Arteta, Wilshere, Diaby and Cazorla with a front two of Walcott and Podolski.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 am

Jenks1981 wrote:I would bloody love to see a midfield of Arteta, Wilshere, Diaby and Cazorla with a front two of Walcott and Podolski.

That makes two of us.....now if we can just find the magic to keep Abu fit for more than a week..we might just see it....

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 am

Actually if we are playing fantasy football for a minute id love to see how a 5 man midfield would work adding Rosicky to the four above and then having Walcott leading the line, Rosicky and Cazorla in the same team higher up would give us loads of penetration, never going to happen though Rosicky barely gets a look in right now :-/

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:Actually if we are playing fantasy football for a minute id love to see how a 5 man midfield would work adding Rosicky to the four above and then having Walcott leading the line, Rosicky and Cazorla in the same team higher up would give us loads of penetration, never going to happen though Rosicky barely gets a look in right now :-/

I think Rosicky's days will be quite limited...I am with you on that middle 5 tho..having podolski and Giroud coming on to replace when needed could be good....would kinda signal the end for Gervinho tho...could not see him getting a sniff in that setup...not really a bad thing tho lol

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Well its not realistic just my five favourite midfielders in the same team, I really would rather play with more midfielders though in all honesty. We have bollock loads of midfielders when all fit.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top