Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Podolski...again...

+38
Andreas Wæhre
Nick Evans
Samritpal Singh
kdunn
Mario
DaveToffy
janelle.noel
Alejandro Perreira
Dan Hakim
Ravneet Singh
Justin Chew
Jason Morrison
OsamaMahfooz
Durrell
Yash
rschalala
Will.sheng
Jenson Pais
Sami Rockfeller
ShravanVBhat
Joey Schwab
vyom.chaudhary
Chris Chan
Vijay Saibola
Hisham El Mawan
McCarthyofcourse!!
ralph avedikian
Stephen Mitchell
Mike York
Christopher Flanagan
Jonathan Prendergast
Vanig Bostanian
Zaid Derweesh
Evan Mullins
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Michael Foster
ChippyBrady
Jenks1981
42 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Podolski...again... - Page 9 Empty Re: Podolski...again...

Post by Samritpal Singh Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 am

Sami Rockfeller wrote:
Michael Foster wrote:I just got a txt from a friend saying it was less than 9 mil?!?!?

Could be. I read somewhere that if Koln are to get relegated his release clause would go down to 5 mil or something, so it could be possible that we got him for around 10 mil or less.

YoungGuns says it's between 10.6 - 11mil.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Tue May 01, 2012 1:28 am

Most excellent. Keep 'em coming, Arsene!

Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 am

On Podolski from an FC Koln supporter:

http://www.arsenalvision.co.uk/articles/3996-lukas-podolski-a-heads-up-from-a-fc-koln-supporter.html

Just how important to FC Klon was Lukas Podolski?

Of course Lukas plays a very significant role in our team. Not only because of his experiences having played in nearly 100 international matches and over 200 national matches but also his emotional tie with the city, the club, and its fans. Those factors make him so important for his team and the entire club. His various goals and skills are a case sui generis and essential.

What would you say are his best attributes?

His best attributes are speed, vitality, a perfect shooting technique, and his accurate passing game. He can read the game and instantly react to any game situation. Moreover, Lukas requires only a few chances for scoring. He is always able to score a goal and his opponents can never keep him completely ineffective for 90 minutes.

He has played both on the left or as a central striker, which position he is most effective in and why?

I think that Lukas made his best matches playing as a central striker / midfielder. In this position he can not only develop clear goal threat, but also put his teammates in good positions to act with more space. However, he has proven when playing for team Germany that he is able to play excellent on the left side as well.

What is his off the ball movement like?

A few people call Lukas a lazy player who does not like moving off the ball. But I strongly disagree with that. He works quietly for his team and disrupts the defense early in the build-up. Of course, in some games, he could work more defensively for his team. However, there are other players in a team responsible for that.

He is a fighter and does he defend for the team when his team do not have the ball?

Luke is definitely a fighter. He does not think that he´s too good for taking on a challenge or putting on (?) a sliding tackle. But sometimes he needs a little push to get going. In some cases it may happen that he is dissatisfied with the course of the game which makes him lose his confidence, but that has improved significantly in recent years. In addition, his new Arsenal team mates have very different qualities.

Is he a team player or does he have an ego?

Lukas is absolutely a team player. He is not a player who prefers the solo attempt, but to serve a better positioned player. For him it is not essential that he scores goals, but he is rather interested in the success of the entire team. That makes him an outstanding player and leader, and it confirms that he is one of the best scorers in the German Bundesliga.

How will he adjust knowing that he is not the main (or best) forward at his club?

Lukas won´t have any problems with that. He has been playing for the German national team for several years. He knows what it´s like to play together with a lot of excellent players. Not being the main forward at Arsenal, I feel confident, will be good for him. Together with Robin van Persie, he would make a brilliant team.

Why do you think he failed to settle at Bayern Munich?

Lukas was only 21 when he transferred to Bayern. He was very young, and his attitude did not seem right to me. Also, he was often injured and had to face a strong competition with Miroslav Klose. Bayern Munich is a top club in Europe and the world. There is hardly a unique position for a single player. You have to prove yourself in every practice. In my opinion, the change to Munich was too early. However, Lukas has made some very important experiences and he is now ready for the next step.

Do you think he has more chance of being successful at Arsenal than he was at Bayern Munich?

Definitely! You cannot compare today's Lukas Podolski with the Lukas from Bayern Munich. He has matured and he is ready to take on responsibilities. The participation in international tournaments and the number of games in the German Bundesliga has greatly contributed to the fact that Lukas has evolved with his game. In addition, he is a father now, who has much more responsibilities off the field. I am absolutely convinced that he will prevail with (?) the Gunners.

Lastly, how much better do you think Lukas Podolski can make Arsenal as a team?

There is no doubt that Arsenal improves their offense with the upcoming commitment of Lukas Podolski. He is extremely variable and can play any of the offensive positions. With him, the Gunners are less predictable and it takes away the focus on Robin van Persie. Moreover, he already knows some players on the team and Arsene Wenger, a world class coach, who will support him. Lukas Podolski as a person is also a positive addition to Arsenal. He is down- to-earth who always knows where his roots are. Arsenal will enjoy his company, I’m sure!
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 am

Joey Schwab wrote:

What is his off the ball movement like?

A few people call Lukas a lazy player who does not like moving off the ball. But I strongly disagree with that. He works quietly for his team and disrupts the defense early in the build-up. Of course, in some games, he could work more defensively for his team. However, there are other players in a team responsible for that.

He is a fighter and does he defend for the team when his team do not have the ball?

Luke is definitely a fighter. He does not think that he´s too good for taking on a challenge or putting on (?) a sliding tackle. But sometimes he needs a little push to get going. In some cases it may happen that he is dissatisfied with the course of the game which makes him lose his confidence, but that has improved significantly in recent years. In addition, his new Arsenal team mates have very different qualities.

Arshavin?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 am

Robin van Persie (28 goals & 10 assists) and Lucas Podolski (18 goals & 6 assists) have directly contributed to 62 league goals this season.
Sick

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue May 01, 2012 2:40 am

Now can we go all German and sign Goetze and Schweinstiger as well?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue May 01, 2012 3:27 am

Well to be fair he's had history of being a bit Arshavin during the games but this season has seen a dramatic change in his attitude which is reflected in the amount of goals he's scored.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 am

I now think we should sign Hazard and M'Vila to be able to win the league. Then we'll have 2 great strikers, good wingers, good midfield, good defense, good goalkeeper. I know I'm dreaming though.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Tue May 01, 2012 3:59 am

As long as this us just the start I am chuffed. Finally a signing we can get excited about

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Tue May 01, 2012 4:02 am

Chris Chan wrote:As long as this us just the start I am chuffed. Finally a signing we can get excited about

And an early one at that!

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 am

I now think we should sign Hazard and M'Vila to be able to win the league. Then we'll have 2 great strikers, good wingers, good midfield, good defense, good goalkeeper. I know I'm dreaming though.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan Mullins Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 am

Great signing. Right calibre of player and improves the team. M'Vila i think would be another realistic one to sign. Hazard isn't happening.
Evan Mullins
Evan Mullins
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 am

Maybe we don't need Hazard anymore. We now have Podolski, Gervinho, Theo, Chamberlain as main wingers and possibly benayoun and ryo. But if we consider podolski a winger, then we need another striker.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by vyom.chaudhary Tue May 01, 2012 9:09 am

vyom.chaudhary
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue May 01, 2012 9:48 am

Very happy with this signing!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Thu May 03, 2012 4:40 am

http://arsenal-esque.blogspot.de/2012/05/podolski-press-conference-transcript.html

Podolski Press Conference - Transcript
Podolski PC - May 2nd 2012

Note* I left out questions purely on Köln or the German NT.

Introduction

„The decision has been made, and I want to stress it again, not against FC Köln but in favour of Arsenal FC. I always knew that I’d either continue my career at Köln for a further couple of years or I’d go to another top club. I had a couple of different offers but they did not really matter to me. As soon as the offer of Arsenal arrived I started to think about my career in football and eventually came to the conclusion that this would be the right path for me.”

Q1 – Lukas: Why is Arsenal such a good fit?

“They wear the same colours as Köln (laughs). No, jokes aside. As I've said before, I had other interesting offers but for me, it had to be a top club and when you look at Arsenal, with a fantastic manager, good environment and there has never been bad press surrounding the club; they are playing attractive football and have a great stadium with great fans. Although I’ve never been there and haven’t looked at anything I think the club is a very good fit for me. Otherwise I would not have made the decision.”

Q2 – Meeting with Arsene Wenger.

“We just spoke on the telephone once and I have not met him yet, that will certainly happen after the Euros. Also, I haven’t seen the stadium or the training facilities yet as the focus has been completely on Köln so far.”

Q3 – Mertesacker's video message

“I am happy to play with someone whom I’ve know for a long time, who speaks German and with whom I get along very well. Therefore I believe he’ll make it easy for me to settle down.”

Q4 – Has he spoken to Mertesacker

“Yes, I asked him a couple of questions about the club, the environment etc.. But at the end of the day, you have to make the decision on your own. You might get some advice, for sure. But he hasn’t helped with the final decision.”

Q5 – About his time in Munich

“In Munich, I maybe was a tad too young. Now, I’m more experienced and have become even better and I’m confident about this move and certain that I will make it there.”

Q6 – Dealing with a new language

“Whenever you go to a new country, the language is a part of that – but I believe football is international. I think my English is good enough and will make it easier for me to fit in.”

Q7 – Contract / time after Arsenal

“I don’t want to discuss any details on my contract. Regarding my future after London, sure, I could imagine to come back and as I’ve said before, the FC (Köln) will always be my club no matter what. I believe it’s important that the club carries on and moves forward when I’m gone. It’s vital for me that they don’t say 'now that Podolski is gone everything is falling apart'. But it’s rather a chance to rebuild, with new chairmen, to move forward and be successful again, something that was promised to me when I arrived. That has to be the aim.”

Q8 – Hopes and dreams with Arsenal

“Undoubtedly, the Arsenal FC is a big name in football, you just have to look back and look at their success. Again, they have an awesome manager, and a great stadium – I’m looking forward to that. The goal has to be to win titles over the next years. That’s a given when you go to a big club. The English league is very good and competitive and every year six or seven clubs are challenging. Hence it’s a chance and a great motivation to make another step forward."

Lu Lu Lu - Lukas Podolski Wink

@simonafc

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 am

Lu Lu Lu.. Lukasz Fabianski!
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Per Mertesacker believes Lukas Podolski has mastered the art of rising to the big occasion.

The striker has a big reputation in the German national team since making his debut in 2004, notching eight goals during the last three major tournaments under Joachim Löw.

With 43 goals in 95 matches Podolski’s goalscoring record at international level is rivalled by few and Mertesacker says the striker’s key characteristics will suit the pressures of the Premier League.

“He is very confident,” Mertesacker told Arsenal Player. “When he feels he has to be there for the team and when we needed a goal he was always there. He was always one of the best players on the pitch and nothing could take him down. He is so confident and that is what I like.

“He is a fantastic striker. Everywhere he has played he has scored a lot of goals. He is very good on his first left [ touch] when he has the ball in front of him, that is a big quality and very good for us.

“I think he has good physical power and that is what is needed in the Premier League. He is very quick too. It is a challenge for him but he can cope with it.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/mertesacker-podolski-thrives-under-pressure
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue May 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi Pod - New boy Lukas ready to play anywhere for the Gunners

LUKAS PODOLSKI insists he is joining Arsenal to play alongside Robin van Persie — not to replace him.

German star Podolski sealed an £11million move to the Gunners earlier this month.

The 26-year-old smashed 18 goals in 29 games this season — despite Cologne finishing second bottom in the Bundesliga.

But with Van Persie having only a year left on his deal and Manchester City waiting in the wings, there are concerns among some fans he has been signed as the Dutchman's replacement.

However, the former Bayern Munich hitman — pictured here in Arsenal's new kit — reckons RVP will still be leading the line at the Emirates next season.

And Podolski claims he is willing to play anywhere in new boss Arsene Wenger's frontline to help fire the Gunners to glory.

He said: "I had a very good season with Cologne, I played well and as a result I'm now going to Euro 2012 in the summer with lots of confidence.

"After that, I will be joining up with my new teammates at Arsenal and it is my goal just to do my best and be successful there.

"In Cologne, I played as a centre-forward and also as a playmaker. In the national team I play wide on the left.

"I honestly don't mind where I play, as long as it's in a forward position. But it's always the coach who decides where you play and I will do my best wherever I play."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4317303/Lukas-Podolski-models-new-Arsenal-kit.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

What do we think of Podolski from what we've seen in the Euros? I thought he had a rather poor tournament, to be honest. Got a goal, but other than that, he seemed anonymous in pretty much all the games he took part in. I didn't even think he made up for it with his defensive work, his tracking back and whatnot wasn't exactly inspiring.

I'm not writing him off before he's kicked a ball for us, he just didn't really impress me in any way in the 3-4 games I watched.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:22 am

His defensive work was good, but agree, doesn't make up for lack of attacking threat. So overall, a poor tournament. But the same could be said for many similar players: Muller, Ozil, even Hummels.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:05 pm

For me it looked like the Germany team was playing within itself, trying to cruise through the group stage in second gear. It was all going well until this game.

There seemed to be no instruction to do anything remotely dynamic or original up front. Podolski just stayed out left and as such was easily marked for most of the tournament.

Germany are no doubt a good team but the number of not quite theres in recent tournaments does suggest that they lack something extra. Reus was the only one that really provided a spark from what I saw.

Gomez is a lamppost but anyone could have said that before the tournament. The fact that he scored two against the Dutch is testament to how useless their defence was.

Doesn't change anything, Podolski should be a decent signing.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:26 pm

If you judged Van Persie just on the Euros you'd have to say he is pretty average himseld, wheras we all know how good he was during the season. Podolski may well take a while to settle, the thing is that we have plenty of options in the forward positions now so if it takes a while for him to find his feet im ok with that, part of me though Gervinho was having confidence issues last season and maybe it would be better if someone didnt come right in and steal his spot straight from the off anyways, it could damage him further especially when im hoping for Gervinho to have a better season this time around.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm

I agree with everything that John and Jenks said.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next