Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal v Chelsea

+5
Andreas Wæhre
cozypilo
Jonathan Prendergast
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Foster
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal v Chelsea - Page 2 Empty Re: Arsenal v Chelsea

Post by pwoodman1 Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:59 am

We had DM sat on the bench until half time. We need a plan B for away games in general. Why Flamini didn't start today or against stoke is anyone's guess?

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:11 am

Yeah, may be it looks Flamini is a bit old for this leauge now to play 30+ games? We can speculate, but something is missing from this team(not big though as we've beaten most teams this year). Really need to start getting results now.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 am

We just need to go to away games and get at least appoint like other teams like Chelsea vs Us at the Emirates for examole. We don't even need to change systems just players Why not today replace Santi, Ox and Poldolski with TV, Flamini and Jenks.

------------Scz----------
Sagna--Mert--Kos---Tv
----Arteta----Flamini---
Jenks--------------Gibbs
----------Rosicky------
---------Giroud---------

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:00 am

I still don't understand why Flamini and Arteta didn't start today.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:10 pm

It was the same against Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

Turnover the ball in midfield, and transition quickly. Get it forward, while our full backs and midfield has pushed up, and take the chance.

It didn't take a master tactician to work this out, how to beat us. Very frustrating.

Guus Hiddink once said that you can't win a game in the first half, but you can lose a game.

I don't blame Arteta, Gibbs or Sagna for being caught up field, or the Ox and Ros for turning it over. I can't understand why Wenger didn't put the team out to start cautiously.

I am normally one of the most positive and optimistic supporters and rarely too critical, but this was ludicrous by Wenger.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Adham Khattab Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Maybe we could have used Flamini next to Arteta but I think the the team we put out there could have got a result if it had tactically played the same way it usually does. I don't really think we have the players we did during the 2007-2010 season so playing a high-line and going for the jugular from the start is not going to work for this team except if we change a few players. Also, playing a high-line is a problem when your best defender is slow. It's the same as with Chelsea during AVB's time, as Terry looked very bad playing that kind of game. I am not sure why we did not take a safety first approach which suited us perfectly in many games before during this season, given how the two previous games against Manchester City and Liverpool went when we tried to go head to head from the start. I admire how Wenger wants to play the game and I enjoyed the sides during that 2007-2010 period but he either needs to keep the same shape of the team as we did throughout this season or look for the players that suit his idea of how to play the game. Playing a high-line, possession style game with this current team, especially with the missing players and against quick teams like Liverpool and Chelsea, is suicidal.

Another problem I think we have is that we tend to lose the ball very quickly when a team closes us down. This problem has been with us for some time now and I remember the game when Chelsea beat us with Torres scoring both goals, Arteta had a very bad time on the ball because he could not keep it when pressured and nobody offered him an easy pass.
Adham Khattab
Adham Khattab
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by cozypilo Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:31 am

I remembered a painful comment from a few years back.
"only Arsenal can finish 4th after being in a 2-horse race"
Can't say it's not true though.
cozypilo
cozypilo
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm not sure about the 'high line' issue that I have seen discussed elsewhere.

It was plainly brought to our attention in the Tottenham game around this time last year, where attackers got in behind our defence easily with a little dink over the top.

The Chelsea goals weren't like that. No one-on-ones. They were counter attacks, with Kos and Per on the right side of the attackers, but outnumbered. And midfield runners coming through untracked.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:40 pm

firstly it was a bad idea having flamini on the bench..this is exactly the type of game we need him in..sit in the mid and break up as much of the play as possible...the high line does screw us over from time to time..but to be fair jose done exactly what was needed by setting up chelsea to hold us at mid and bunch us in the nuts when we broke up the field...everything that could go wrong..did...

but i will say this...i am getting a bit pissed off with these high scoring games against us..you dont let potential title teams stick that many goals past us...wenger was done for as soon as we kicked off....just wish i had slapped in that bet for us to let in 4 or more...said it on the facebook page we was going to get raided and that we did...lock stock and boots....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:45 am

I'm not disappointed, so to say, with the Liverpool, Chelsea and City games in isolation. But what's disappointing is that, we were in a comfortable position to go for the league. Logic tells you we could have gone to those 3 places with a bit more caution and play for a draw with the hope of our attacking talent nicking a goal from somewhere if possible.
On the other hand, it could be a mental block against big teams(despite our assumed good tactical preparations for the game), may be we don't have an 'actual' leader who stands up in games like these, or there could be other reasons we can speculate about. Whatever that may be, it needs to be corrected. And that task belongs to Arsene and the group of players we have.
We'll bounce back this season, no doubt, as the pressure is off us now and we'll probably win most games from now on till the end of the season. Next season is going to be crucial for Arsenal and specially Arsene. He has done tremendously well to build a stadium and use the club's money wisely during our transition period. But the signing of Ozil was supposedly the end of our transition period and the beginning of a new era. I know great teams can't be built in a single season alone and he may need one transfer window more, but such heavy losses will naturally make one wonder. Hopefully these three results were a massive big bang before the universe was created and life came into place and all that. For now, we need to make sure we win the FA Cup and get 3rd so we avoid the slippery qualifiers and can concentrate on the next season right after the World Cup finishes.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohammed Arshaq Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 am

Top 4 is a must after this Swansea result. Just terrible.
Mohammed Arshaq
Mohammed Arshaq
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next