Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal v Chelsea

+6
Subrat Koirala
deep.gurung
Marko Maksimović
Darcy Gorman
Jonathan Prendergast
Michael Foster
10 posters

Go down

Arsenal v Chelsea  Empty Arsenal v Chelsea

Post by Michael Foster Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:01 am

CAPITAL ONE CUP FOURTH ROUND
Venue: Emirates Stadium Date: Tuesday, 29 October

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is expected to rest many of his first-team regulars and instead give a run-out to fringe players.

Mikel Arteta serves a one-game ban, while Mathieu Flamini is set to miss out with a groin problem.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will also rotate his squad for the Blues' second match in three days.

Juan Mata, David Luiz, Michael Essien and Mark Schwarzer are likely to get a chance to impress in Tuesday's game.

Really wishing for this one to be wrapped up under no stress......not going to happen,
This is the first chance the media will have to rip into us if we lose since we have been on this streak...we need to pile that on Chelsea...

A slim 2-1 victory for us.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Chelsea  Empty Re: Arsenal v Chelsea

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:00 am

Flamini's injury is such bad timing. Can Isaac Hayden play holding mid?

Jack is not bad there, and did it in tandem with Alex Song a few years back for a whole season. Jack and Rosicky could feasibly do it.

Ramsey looks to be in the red zone, so expect him and Ozil to be rested.

Per's role in the team is not so physically demanding, so expect him to play with TV. There is a slight doubt for Gnabry, but Wenger has said he and Ryo will play if fit.

My predicated line up

-------------- Fab -------------
Jenkinson -- Per -- TV -- Nacho
--------- Hayden -- Jack ---------
Gnabry ---- Rosicky -------- Ryo
------------ Bendtner -------------

Cazorla, Eisfeld, Bellerin, Akpom to come on.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Flamini's injury is such bad timing. Can Isaac Hayden play holding mid?

Jack is not bad there, and did it in tandem with Alex Song a few years back for a whole season. Jack and Rosicky could feasibly do it.

Ramsey looks to be in the red zone, so expect him and Ozil to be rested.

Per's role in the team is not so physically demanding, so expect him to play with TV. There is a slight doubt for Gnabry, but Wenger has said he and Ryo will play if fit.

My predicated line up

-------------- Fab -------------
Jenkinson -- Per -- TV -- Nacho
--------- Hayden -- Jack ---------
Gnabry ---- Rosicky -------- Ryo
------------ Bendtner -------------

Cazorla, Eisfeld, Bellerin, Akpom to come on.
I think that team is about right, although it doesn't look like Gnabry will make it. In that case, hoping Arsene gives Santi another start to get some more minutes into him.

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Tough set of fixtures ahead, starting tonight. I share Michael's sentiments, I really wish we could see the first team out and give Chelsea a go but this is the Capital One Cup so maybe it's better if AW keeps an eye on the other games ahead. I'm excited and think we'll see the lineup above bar Gnabry, think he'll be short. I think Chelsea will knick it. Mourinho is a really good coach and he is itching to put a dent in our ship right now. Hope our boys can prove me wrong.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:16 am

i really hope arsene wll rest most of the key players. i won't be the hittng the bottle if we lose this one. with liverpool, dortmund and man utd comng up really need to rest players to rest. modern footballers are such fragile creatures. chelsea have a better depth and will be fielding some top notch players but i hope we will win and wipe the grin from mourinho's smug face. he plays too much politicking and mind games for my taste
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 am

Capital one cup ain't the biggest of the silverwares out there, we all know it. But I've been thinking about this lately(aided by an analogue): we often tend to find that extra bit of energy after something great has happened to us. And that 'something great' for footballers is silverware. No matter how lowly League Cup may be regarded, I think it's important for us to win it this year, to make it work as a catalyst to help this team get back into winning habits. And winning is pretty infectious imo. Absolutely buzzed for this one. 2-1 win to us. COYG !
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:38 am

Its really difficult thinking about which way we should go tonight, one player I wouldn't want to see from the start because I don't think he is upto it physically or mentally yet is Ryo. If he plays against Bertrand or Azpiliqueta I think they would both dominate him. We need Bendtner to have a good game tonight for me.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 am

Also, it would have been terrific if one of the injured players was fit enough to be eased back into the team tonight like Walcott, Sanogo or Chamberlain.

Feel sorry for Zelalem as well this and the last game would have been his chance to shine.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:43 am

wow thats a pretty strong lineup we are fieldng
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:45 am

Not sure whether to blame Fabianski or Jenkinson for that. It wasn't the worst idea or execution for Jenk to head it back. Azpillechuicha read it very well.

Thoughts on whether we can get back into the game? We don't seem to be able to penetrate at the moment.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am

Playing better this half. Putting some pressure on the Chelsea defence.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:04 am

We are showing something, Bendtner not switched on. He's getting into right positions but plays the wrong pass or holds it up too long. Özil to come on. Giroud too if we're still trailing with 15 mins to go. Smile
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 am

Bugger. Mata. 0-2.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 am

Giroud to come on or AW is throwing in the towel. Salvageable? I doubt it. Chelsea under Mourinho have always done this to Arsenal. 1-0 up, draw our pressure and then knock it back.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 am

This is what worries me about Tv5, if Ramires was a prick he could have initiated contact and gone down. Yeah TV has to go for the ball but it was a rash desperate lunge that was well off and could've put the last nail in the coffin tonight.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 am

sht park came on .... my laptop got completely fried i knew it was an omen hahahahahaha worth watching this game
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am

Chelsea were better in the first half, Arsenal in the second.

By giving away a goal, it saw us have to push in the second half and leave gaps at the back.

Oh well.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Schatzky Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am

Didn't see the game but saw this gif of Bendtner.
Very rusty. Just bizarre that he is on the penalty spot,alone 1v1 vs Schwarzer, and he doesn't shoot. Oh well. Is that rust or is it just Bendtner....

http://arsenalist.com/f/arsenal-vs-chelsea-league-cup/gif-why-didn-t-bendtner-shoot-here.html

Michael Schatzky
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

That's a shame. I didn't see the game but you can't expect to get anything from it when you start with Bendtner up front in a one-striker system. He basically ceased to be an Arsenal player yet AW brought him back through lack of options. He's a lucky bugger when you look at youth unemployment figures in Europe.

Ozil was a nice summer signing but we've had clear weak spots in the squad for years now and AW probably hasn't done enough. Lehmann might have been error-prone and it was time to move on but Almunia was never the answer and was embarrassingly weak for three years or so. After Sol moved on Toure-Gallas didn't work. We are suddenly hailing the return of Flamini, yet all AW had to do was get a suitable replacement in 2008, not wait five years to get him back on a budget-friendly free transfer. We're getting weaker and weaker up front, with now only one viable striker. The next player in line is a walking joke.

We've made a good start to the season in the league but there have been warning signs in enough games and two tough league games in a row will probably give a definitive answer to whether we can even challenge. We drew both games against these sides at roughly the same time of year the last time we challenged in 2008. We had great chances to win both games. Eventually we ran out of steam. It doesn't look like we've got a strong enough squad to hold off all contenders this year.

This may only be the league cup but with a stronger squad we would've had a better chance tonight. That squad might be the key failing this year. I'm not still not sure we should be racing to give AW another contract.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 pm

Well....just caught up on the match....what to say,

I see this more as a tactical fuck off of the cup competition...

Makes sence in some ways....stick some of the second choice out give it a crack..get a result bonus.

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:27 pm

So the match was a slight gutter for me...seen some decent play but having no back up for giroud seriously needs to be addressed...that made a huge difference tonight...

ryu at times ran into brick walls but played ok......bit short of confidence in my opinion....needs to be getting some games but with us out of this a few less chances...

Jenkingson....I will get it out the way early..a clusterfuck to give a goal..bit sloppy on some of the build ups....cost us 5 counted chances I remember of progressing up the pitch to get into decent positioning...
Let rip with a couple of decent crosses....put 2 close to the keeper....

Bendtner..I don't know what to say why this our back up....nothing to report...poor game....

I can take positives from this game...had some good spells between the middle men...caz showed some hunger..Aaron had a quiet one...kos..looking up for a fight as usual.

Hard game coming...feeling back to business game...

Fucking Chelsea......wankers. lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:58 am

It was a COC game, OK, but one thing that worried me was that it felt much like 2006-2011 period where we would pass pass pass and Chelsea would score, then we would pass pass pass and Chelsea would score another one. Thought Bendtner had his last game in an Arsenal shirt. If he gets a chance against fucking Chelsea and doesn't want to run, then he should not be allowed to. Ryo looks like a talented schoolboy who got a chance to play with the team he supports. Don't get me wrong, I can take positives from that game, but it was frustrating to watch a de ja vu, ie, Wenger getting Mourinhoed again. I didn't even want Ozil and Giroud to come on at the end. Anyway, we should focus on beating Liverpool and keeping the mood positive.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 am

I don't think Bendtner was not trying. I just think he was out of sync and a bit lost.

He came up against one of the best defences we will come up against this season. Even if it is Chelsea's 2nd string.

Similar with Ryo.

Hard to come in with little match practice. It was very different to coming up against a 2nd string Sheffield United or Reading like previous seasons. Even then players like Vela, Ramsey and Eduardo were getting more game time in league games, compared to know where Wenger is sticking with the 1st XI.

I think Ryo, Bendtner and Jenkinson were poor, but not writing them off yet.

That said, a key issue for us to challenge for the league is players staying fit, and buying a new top class striker. Javier Hernandez would be very handy!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down