Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal vs Chelsea Match Thread

+15
Steve Dawson
Jonathan Prendergast
Andreas Wæhre
Wesley Wang
Ravneet Singh
Adam Sisson
Vanig Bostanian
vyom.chaudhary
Sami Rockfeller
Ashraf Peeran
Jenks1981
Michael Foster
Subrat Koirala
ralph avedikian
Mario
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Arsenal vs Chelsea Match Thread Empty Arsenal vs Chelsea Match Thread

Post by Mario Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:02 pm

After completing screwing up the Wigan game this game takes on even greater importance. A win against Wigan would have meant a draw against Chelsea would have been more than acceptable and would have left us in a good position. Now? We need to win. Yes, we would take a draw with 3 wins in our last 3 games if we had the option. But we have two tricky looking away games in our last 3 games we need to make the most of our home games and get the points on the board. It's also important to knock Chelsea out of the running, at least for 3rd place, and a win would almost certainly do that. The Wigan result would have given added impetus to the chasing pack and we only have ourselves to blame.

Chelsea

The talk is of Chelsea taking their eye off this game and will rest players. I'm sure they will rest a player or two and will have half an eye on the Barcelona return leg. I don't think Drogba will play and Ivanovic is suspended. Torres, Sturridge, maybe even the likes of Betrand could come in.

They may be physically and emotionally tired, they wouldn't be human (or would be on some serious performance enhancing drugs) if that wasn't the case. But momentum and confidence at this stage of the season is important and Chelsea have that in abundance. Humiliated Tottenham last week and into another cup final and got a fantastic result last night. Why wouldn't they fancy their chances of beating us, too? Again we go back to that Wigan game. If we had beaten them then Chelsea's chances of top 3 would have been very miniscule and they may have rested quite a few more players, but now it's up for grabs. They need to try and guarantee a top 4 finish and not put all their eggs in the Champions League basket. They were lucky last night Barcelona didn't score those 4/5 great chances and they are still underdogs to win the whole competition, they will not sacrifice the league. Although I hope they do.

Team news

As for team news, we have a few important decisions to make. Who plays on the left wing and who replaces Arteta, who is out for the season? I'm sure Ramsey will start in his place but his form is not that good and his confidence has been quite dented recently, the abuse and missed chances has affected him. But options are limited. With Benayoun ineligible, it leaves Gervinho or Oxlade-Chamberlain for the left wing. Gervinho's form isn't very good either and another player whose confidence is low and maybe Wenger fancies the youth of the Ox like he did against Man Utd and Milan? He will probably be up against Bosingwa and I would quite like the Ox's chances in that battle. Koscielny will thankfully slot straight back into the side in Djourou's place and after Santos' performance against Wigan I would prefer Gibbs to come in.

Early kick off with an extra couple of days rest, a win will put pressure on Newcastle (vs Stoke) and Tottenham (vs QPR). Slip up again and the possibility of finishing outside the top 4 becomes bigger. We have shown in the last few months that we raise our game for the bigger games so I don't doubt our energy or focus but we can't afford to defend how we did on Monday and we can't afford to miss chances because Chelsea's defence has tightened up in recent weeks. We are ahead of them in the league table for a reason so let's show them why.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Arsenal vs Chelsea Match Thread Empty Re: Arsenal vs Chelsea Match Thread

Post by ralph avedikian Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am

I would prefer Diaby ahead of Ramsey. I know he hasn't played for a long time but he can't be worse than Ramsey right now, in fact no one can. I say start with gervinho and then put Ox on.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 am

Imagine if we had to travel to Stamford Bridge right now. But we're at home, and thats our biggest advantage come Saturday. Chelsea might be a bit tired after a hectic week, but we'll still have to put up a good show, as their confidence will give them that 10% extra energy. The team should pick itself except for who plays in Arteta's absence. Personally, I'd go for Ramsey. I have a feeling he'll play his socks off(knowing he could lose his place to a player in Diaby who's just been back from a lay-off. Never a nice feeling to lose a place in the team to a player who hasn't virtually played all season)
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:04 am

Looking at chelsea and the heroics of last night you can guarantee the barca return game is top of priorities...

This said the league position says they need to do just as much work as we do...
I simply cannot call this one so many ifs and buts...

I would like to see us run out a simple 1-0 win..cannot see another barrage of goals in this unless chelsea rest payers and knowing we know full well what we have to do!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:00 am

ralph avedikian wrote:I would prefer Diaby ahead of Ramsey. I know he hasn't played for a long time but he can't be worse than Ramsey right now, in fact no one can. I say start with gervinho and then put Ox on.

In fact no one can? You really are talking out of your bum with comments like that, Ramsey isnt in good form but lets not kid ourselves here he is still a talented guy and would walk into most Premiership midfields. Ofcourse it will be Ramsey to come in to replace Arteta, he is the only real viable option in my eyes.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 am

In fact no one can right now. get the point.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 am

No, I genuinley don't, the criticism of the guy by you and others is quite frankly ridiculous, there is a middle ground between things being fantastic or utter Silvestre you know, it doesnt always have to be one or the other.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:09 am

Sure it doesn't but why insisting on playing a very out of form midfielder when we have Diaby back from injury willing to prove he is good enough to be in this side. Remeber it's chelsea we're playing, we cant afford a Ramsey kind of performance, especially considering he is playing in a role he is not used to.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:12 am

What? Centre Midfield? I think he is fairly used to playing in Centre Midfield, lets not over complicate things, he is a professionally footballer playing for a Premiership club, I think he can cope.

Plus, whilst his form hasnt been everything we would all hope, it hasnt been THAT BAD, its all just over dramatic for me, Ramsey is match fit and has played alot of football this season, Diaby is just coming to fitness now and hasnt played anything at all of note, to throw him in against Chelsea, well its stupid to me, I think you'd be a decent football manager, manager though.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 am

Jenks1981 wrote:there is a middle ground between things being fantastic or utter Silvestre you know, it doesnt always have to be one or the other.

^ This.

The only thing Ramsey has been lacking is finishing and a bit of confidence. But the fact that we're criticizing him for not finishing sitters means that he's been getting into those kinda good scoring positions on a regular basis, and he will eventually put one away and get back on track.

He's got a great ability. Never hides even when some of his passes don't come off (which will happen a few times considering his position and his role in the team). He played 90 minutes at The Bridge and things didn't go so bad.

It's a no-brainer for me that he'd start ahead of Diaby, a player who I don't think has played a combined total of 100 minutes this season, and lacking any kind of serious competitive games.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 am

^ ditto this ^

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:16 am

I didn't criticize him for not finishing, even cesc was a bad finisher before he became what he is now. Ramsey has been in poor form for almost the entire season now, bar a few good games and I don't expect him to turn this around vs chelsea.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:18 am

I disagree with that. I don't think he's been poor this season. He has some flaws, yes, but they're the kinda problems that will only go away by playing games. This is his first full season remember.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:24 am

ralph avedikian wrote:Sure it doesn't but why insisting on playing a very out of form midfielder when we have Diaby back from injury willing to prove he is good enough to be in this side. Remeber it's chelsea we're playing, we cant afford a Ramsey kind of performance, especially considering he is playing in a role he is not used to.

It is the same role he used to play when Cesc was with us, I don't think he'd have much difficulty slotting in.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 am

Sami Rockfeller wrote:
ralph avedikian wrote:Sure it doesn't but why insisting on playing a very out of form midfielder when we have Diaby back from injury willing to prove he is good enough to be in this side. Remeber it's chelsea we're playing, we cant afford a Ramsey kind of performance, especially considering he is playing in a role he is not used to.

It is the same role he used to play when Cesc was with us, I don't think he'd have much difficulty slotting in.

He played about 10 games in that role, 2 years ago. It doesn't mean anything.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:34 am

ralph avedikian wrote:
Sami Rockfeller wrote:

He played about 10 games in that role, 2 years ago. It doesn't mean anything.

It is his original position. He didn't start playing higher up the pitch till this season and that was also because we were short of players who could play there.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:46 am

I expect the crowd to be fully behind every player this Saturday so I would hope that they won't get on Ramsey's back if he messes up a pass (or backheel) or chance. Because right now there are more than a few fans who are getting on his back at the ground and not just confined to the sick tweets on Twitter from 'fans' telling him to kill himself.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:48 am

Seriously I cannot see diaby getting the nod ahead of Ramsey...you have to remember diaby has had next to no time playing this season and also Ramsey might be looking bad at times but still has more usability than diaby....

Aaron has had a bad few games granted but when he has as people say 'turned up' he has put in some cracking displays..not only that his fitness is where it needs to be diaby is gonna need the rest of the season to get back in the stride of it..

Let's face it...

diaby or Ramsey

You might as well say

80% chance of another injury or a team player
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:I expect the crowd to be fully behind every player this Saturday so I would hope that they won't get on Ramsey's back if he messes up a pass (or backheel) or chance. Because right now there are more than a few fans who are getting on his back at the ground and not just confined to the sick tweets on Twitter from 'fans' telling him to kill himself.

^ this

I fully expect to the ground to be roaring for the boys....

And for those whipping Ramsey at every space and moment...

Need not apply.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 am

Yeah there's next to no chance of Diaby starting. I doubt if he starts a game this season unless we get a few more injuries'

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:56 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:Yeah there's next to no chance of Diaby starting. I doubt if he starts a game this season unless we get a few more injuries'

I said exactly the same thing to a friend only the other day...it's a shame in some way,but hey ho it's footbqll..and its survival of the fittest
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by vyom.chaudhary Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:56 am

no way wenger will play diaby ahead of ramsey.wenger really supports ramsey and even without arteta's injury and with rosicky in form he found a way to include ramsey in starting xi.no way he will leave him out now when he is a first choice replacement for arteta

vyom.chaudhary
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:58 am

I don't get the logic behind slating a player, even he's been off form. If he starts, get behind the player and he could find that flash of light/confidence he needs to come back into form; slate him and his mistake/nervousness could lead to a goal. Some fans(at games and even at home) just dont get it that their actions partly affect the team's result.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 am

Subrat007 wrote:I don't get the logic behind slating a player, even he's been off form. If he starts, get behind the player and he could find that flash of light/confidence he needs to come back into form; slate him and his mistake/nervousness could lead to a goal. Some fans(at games and even at home) just dont get it that their actions partly affect the team's result.

This +10

We all have a rant and rave at times but for those who are there just need to get behind from start to finish...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 am

I don't know who I want to play. Gervinho's been poor, Ramsey's been poor, and The AOC hasn't been that great either. I wish Benayoun could play. Theo needs to be at his best and I expect Robin to shine. I'd go with:
Szczesny
Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs
Rosicky Song The Ox
Theo Robin Gervinho

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next