Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thierry Henry Loan.

+28
jason.mandryk
Alan Dawson
Michael Foster
Mohamed Samir
Sami Rockfeller
janelle.noel
Jason Morrison
Jenks1981
Jeff Chouest III
Ed Spence
Ashraf Peeran
Samritpal Singh
Vanig Bostanian
Alejandro Perreira
Sue Lee
Mario
Mike York
Jenson Pais
sbell
Graham Edward Denton
Jonathan Prendergast
Justin Chew
Joey Schwab
Darcy Gorman
Zaid Derweesh
Chris Chan
Dan Hakim
Sebastian Steele
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Thierry Henry Loan. Empty Thierry Henry Loan.

Post by Sebastian Steele Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 am

Hear me out before you bang on that this should be in the transfer thread or whatever. This is specifically about Henry and what you guys expect from him and I think it deserves its own thread as the topic might get lost.

Anyhow, what are you expecting from the King? One of the most decorated players in Arsenal history, one of three (4 if you count Wenger's bust) Arsenal legends with a statue at the club will surely have a massive positive impact on the squad, the club and the fans. So, what would you deem an unsuccessful/successful loan-spell? Walcott might increase his level closer to Henry's, or Henry might get a red in the first match and then banned for 8. I hope the latter doesn't happen. What do you think?

afro
Sebastian Steele
Sebastian Steele
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Thierry Henry Loan. Empty Re: Thierry Henry Loan.

Post by Dan Hakim Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 am

If nothing else, it'll provide a little more depth. But his presence will probably also add a confidence and morale boost.

My concern is that when he does play, everyone will want to pass to him even when he's not in a good position to receive the ball. The team will have to learn how to play with him, and he with the team. Hopefully that doesn't take too long.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am

I expect his presence to be more felt in the dressing room. He has been there and done that, as he has said himself, he has nothing to prove to anyone, he has won literally everything. Don't expect the goal machine that was TH14, but he was always creating chances as well and he will bring that vision/creativity into the team.

I expect (more think) that he will take up more of a Bergkamp provider role be it in the hole behind RVP or coming in off the left flank. Also hopefully he will help bring the inexperienced guys through tough situations and help with general moral.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:24 am

I think the biggest damage possible is that it means we don't sign someone else. Otherwise, I think he'll have a positive effect. There's a lot of hype; a lot of shirts will be sold. On the pitch, I see him putting in the effort and encouraging teammates to do the same. But Henry must know - and I'm sure he does - that he is no longer the King. This is no longer a team of kids for him to bully. Arteta, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Sagna, RVP, they won't stand for it. This is more their team than his now. He must know his role is as a support.

Beyond that, I'd be happy with a couple of goals in 8 games, and I'd be just as happy with no goals if he plays well. I don't know if he'll play behind RVP or on the left - most likely the latter, as that is where he played predominantly for Barca and NYRB, and that is where we'll need him.

My biggest hope is that he somehow encourages Arshavin to find his form again - that would be the biggest benefit possible.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:50 am

Zaid Derweesh wrote:My biggest hope is that he somehow encourages Arshavin to find his form again - that would be the biggest benefit possible.

or show Theo how to become a monster like when Henry first joined us

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Whilst I almost always trust in Wenger when it comes to signing talent (and why wouldn't I?), my only concern is whether he has become caught up in the whole romance of Thierry's return, much like the rest of us? Regardless, he has something to offer and we desperately need cover on the left.

Aside from that, would be happy with a couple of starts and a cheeky goal or two, one at the Emirates would be magic :-)

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm hoping for a goal or two just for the joy of it, but more so some good performances and some intelligent play in the final third. I think as a Bergkamp-esque player with RVP in Thierry's old role is a match made in Heaven right now.

Also, as others have said, he should teach Theo how to not turn into a brainless sack of stones every now and again.

Regarding his shirt: it feels so wrong getting an 'Henry 12' shirt! I might pretend he is still 14 like the good old days and get that on the home shirt
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:47 pm

I hope he really makes a big impact like Larsson did for Man utd.

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:40 pm

He's basically 75% a replacement for Gervinho, and 25% replacement for Chamahk while they are away in my mind.

Based on the noises coming from Goetze and Podolski camps, it will be hard for us to get the player(s) we need in the January window. So getting Henry as cover is very handy.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Edward Denton Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

"I'm hoping for a goal or two just for the joy of it, but more so some good performances and some intelligent play in the final third. I think as a Bergkamp-esque player with RVP in Thierry's old role is a match made in Heaven right now."

My thoughts exactly. I am taking a realist stance on judging this loan move. A goal or two would be nice but I will considering Henry a success if he plays to the effect of rosicky before his injury. A great passer of the ball with trickery and vision to add, just giving the team that extra little edge during open play.
Graham Edward Denton
Graham Edward Denton
Youth Team

http://nuccachiropractic.wordpress.com/     has a good descrpiti

Back to top Go down

Post by sbell Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm

I for one am not expecting anything from him....(Hes here for a good time ,not a long time)!!!!! Laughing his presence is enough. king
I'm sure he will not let anyone down.....and for the "feel good" factor and morale boost for players and fans alike will be enough for me....... I'm sure he will give us that edge....

sbell
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Well I can't wait to see him in action tonight !! I have seen him play for Red Bulls and you can see that he doesn't have the legs any more to run rings round a defender. But he still does possess the ability to find the back of the net. Also his feints and shrug of the shoulder move or still there but you cannot expect him to outpace players from the half way line. He still has the intelligent movement which will be his main weapon against the defenders.

I am sure Wenger signed him to give some much needed boost in confidence to the current team. Having a winner in the dressing room is important for a team challenging for honours.
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Chris Chan wrote:I expect his presence to be more felt in the dressing room.

Agree with that. I think it is a clever loan for reasons not just on the pitch. We need cover in the forwards area due to Gervinho/Chamakh going and Arshavin not playing to his potential. Henry has already said he isn't an invincible anymore so I wouldn't expect big things from him but as cover, and to come off the bench when we need it to boost the team, he is a great option. Someone who truly loves the club too which helps. His influence in the dressing room and in training though are what I believe will be the biggest benefit from this loan move. A lot of people can learn from him and maybe his legend status will influence some of them to try (big ask but try) their best to emulate it.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 pm

I just hope he isn't god awful, trying to do things he can no longer do because he feels he needs to. I know he said he expects to be a sub etc but he is an extremely proud person who doesn't like criticism and he loves the club, he will want to do his very best and not leave with his tail between his legs.

That said, I don't think he will end up like Pires at Villa or anything like that, I think he will do ok. Would be nice for him to get a couple of goals, ideally in the league of course, but as long as he takes the weight off the shoulders of RVP in any way possible and we pick up results along the way, even if he isn't involved much, it will be a good move. Everyone will look up to him, he can pass on invaluable advice and knowledge (although I'm sure with him training here he has been anyway) and it will give a huge buzz to the crowd whenever he gets on or even warms up. Although I hope that we don't spend 99% of the time chanting "Thierry Henry!" even when he's not on the pitch.

Scary though if this is it for the window, we need more. Oh yeah, Kalou. Yes.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Lee Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 pm

i'm sure he feels he'll still be able to cut it, i don't think he would have left as such a legend to then come back and tarnish his reputation with some poor performances

i'm so excited about tonight!!!
Sue Lee
Sue Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alejandro Perreira Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:32 am

He'll be able to compete at an acceptable level. He did well in the mls and while the quality of play isnt near as high, physically the players are about the same. His iq should carry him through the loan, which i think will be a success.

Alejandro Perreira
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:I just hope he isn't god awful, trying to do things he can no longer do because he feels he needs to.

I can't imagine Wenger would have signed him if it was even a possibility. Whilst Henry is proud, I think he knows his limitations and is smart enough to adapt his game accordingly. If he helps us get goals from elsewhere then that is good enough. Our current main problem (injuries aside) is the lack of goals from midfield/out wide (basically anyone who isnt RVP). I don't know if it is wishful thinking, but I am hoping Henry will go someway to fixing the problem

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 am

Just class, if he doesnt do anything else for the rest of his loan, it is enough

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 am

Just what we missed.

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 am

Fucking perfect cameo.

Still pointing at his fight and whining about not getting the ball though. And he looked knackered!!

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 am

His return has been entirely vindicated in what, 25 minutes of football? Did not expect to be saying that.

Very pleasant surprise.

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 am

Trademark Henry goal to signal his return to the premiership. He has scored every single time he has faced Leeds since his 4 goals against them Twisted Evil
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 am

What does that mean?
Wenger: 'I haven't decided whether he will start against Swansea. He can play behind or in front of Robin or on the flank' #ArsenalLive

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 am

Thierry Henry Loan. Scaled.php?tn=0&server=734&filename=w9zuw

That is all.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:14 pm

He is back! That is for sure.

But one thing, I wasn't too happy seeing him show his frustration when Theo or Ramsey failed to pass him the ball when he was in a good position. He'd yell and point to his feet and that's not very encouraging to the younger players. I'm hoping it was only because he really wanted to score again because he was so pumped after his first goal, but I think it's something that needs to be addressed.

And it was quite clear he isn't completely match fit yet. His movement was restricted and he was knackered by the end of the game.

And one more thing, WHAT A LEGEND.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next