Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading vs Arsenal

+20
dbruce5
Jenks1981
Steve Dawson
Darcy Gorman
Jonathan Prendergast
Marko Maksimović
Michael Schatzky
Chris Chan
Assan Touray
Jason Morrison
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Meshaal
Joey Schwab
Michael Foster
Durrell
ralph avedikian
Mike York
Mario
kique.canto
Vanig Bostanian
24 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Reading vs Arsenal - Page 5 Empty Re: Reading vs Arsenal

Post by Mario Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 am

At 4-1 I wrote how if Wenger talks down this competition as the last priority then the players will approach the game the same, similar to recent FA Cup defeats to Sunderland/Stoke when we didn't turn up.

30 seconds later, Giroud scored.

Then when Reading had the ball in our corner flag at 94mins I wrote something like how it's unacceptable that we only started to play at 4-0 down and a glorious defeat was not good enough.

A minute later 4-4.

I can't believe what we just witnessed and I don't care that it's just a 4th round COC game, that was so entertaining/bizarre/great/awful it will live long in the memory. Amazing.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:03 am

OK the man's a prick but here's FourFourTom's thoughts on Giroud:

Olivier Giroud.
Forgetting about my man love for Olivier Giroud for five minutes (which is difficult cause there's loads of it), he totally changed the game tonight. Thomas Eisfeld, who came on at the same time, was also excellent.

Giroud came on in the 62nd minute and had pulled a goal back with a fantastic header two minutes later.

He's had some criticism for not imposing himself on games enough in the past, but there will be absolutely none of that after tonight's performance. He was playing like a man possessed - chasing down every ball, finding space in good positions upfront and shooting on sight to try and force another goal. He was everywhere.

Working from memory alone, I don't think Giroud assisted any of the other goals directly, but it was lovely play by him and Chamakh out wide which released Arshavin to play it back to Chamakh for Arsenal's fifth.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that fans of rival clubs will still say "he's sh*t", "it was in the Mickey Mouse cup" and "it was only against Reading". If you watched that game you'll know he was nothing short of phenomenal and READING ARE A PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM!

This is more like the Giroud we signed. Sheer class.

Pretty much agree with that.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 am

Mmm, bit disappointed with Wengers reaction, seemed to douse the result down a bit "..not our priority" etc. Thought he might have showed a little bit of emotion!

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 am

Does anyone know if the reports that quite a few fans left at half time are actually true? Or just a bit of journalistic licence?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Does anyone know if the reports that quite a few fans left at half time are actually true? Or just a bit of journalistic licence?

Sky showed 2-3 fans heading for the exit when Reading's fourth went in, but they could've been beating the queues for a half time piss or a pie. I know one fella who was shown on telly to be leaving Tweeted a picture of himself still at the game to prove he was still there, said he went to get a pie.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:37 pm

He did look pretty keen for a pie.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:54 pm

The morning after the night before!

Forget all the negatives about the game, these sort of matches bring the fun back to football. Completely outrageous game, had pretty much everything from the good to the bad. Still don't really know how to articulate what I feel about the match as it was just so mental, Chamakh scored 2 for fucks sake, CHAMAKH! TWO! REALLY!

don't really know what else to say... What.A.Match!

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:OK the man's a prick but here's FourFourTom's thoughts on Giroud:

Olivier Giroud.
Forgetting about my man love for Olivier Giroud for five minutes (which is difficult cause there's loads of it), he totally changed the game tonight. Thomas Eisfeld, who came on at the same time, was also excellent.

Giroud came on in the 62nd minute and had pulled a goal back with a fantastic header two minutes later.

He's had some criticism for not imposing himself on games enough in the past, but there will be absolutely none of that after tonight's performance. He was playing like a man possessed - chasing down every ball, finding space in good positions upfront and shooting on sight to try and force another goal. He was everywhere.

Working from memory alone, I don't think Giroud assisted any of the other goals directly, but it was lovely play by him and Chamakh out wide which released Arshavin to play it back to Chamakh for Arsenal's fifth.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that fans of rival clubs will still say "he's sh*t", "it was in the Mickey Mouse cup" and "it was only against Reading". If you watched that game you'll know he was nothing short of phenomenal and READING ARE A PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM!

This is more like the Giroud we signed. Sheer class.

Pretty much agree with that.

He's pretty damn useful in the box when he gets crosses in from players who actually know how to produce decent ones. I still think this guy is going to be great for us.

I also love his celebrations whenever we score, he seems to just love it all.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

I thought Arshavin was brilliant as well. A lot of the things he did just wouldn't come off, but he tried and tried and tried, and he still has it in him to produce some exceptional passes. The run for Theo's goal for the 6th goal reminded me of his run at Anfield when he scored his 4th.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Amazing game! I couldnt believe we went 4 down, to Reading.

A few points on individual performances;

Martinez - made a couple of good solid blocks/saves but also some dreadfull keeping including a ridiculous long ball in injury time that gave the ball straight back to Reading, Wenger could have punched him you can tell!

Jenks and Djourou were ok, as ok as you can be if you concede 4 as defenders, Jenks did really well to score that goal under pressure, tough finish. I thought Djourou largely did well against Roberts and the Pog when they had the ball, marking off the ball not so good.

Koscielny - not what I expect from him but good goal, would have been sent off in other games leaving us with no chance, not impressed.

Miguel, really is a CB filling in at left back, I actually thought he was pretty horrible last night, not as good on the ball as I remember him being, not the next big thing at the back based on that performace, still, he isnt Squillaci!!

Frimpong was ok, just ok.

Coquelin, falls down alot! didnt impress me last night, doesnt do anything really well, just does most things adequetly, for me.

Gnabry - poor lad, poor performance from him and subbed.

Walcott - really good, loved his dribbling and the amount of dribbling he did, took his goals well and surely should be pushing to start in the league.

Arshavin, will probably come in for some criticism but thought he worked off the ball, helped the defence and he ran with the ball often which was really good. It was only the frequency of through balls he tried that didnt come off which meant he looked poor for me, a few key balls though and thats what he is there for, played for longer than he must have in the previous year put together!!

Chamakh, generally Chamakh but a few class touches and lets face it both goals were very well taken, I genuinley think all he needs is confidence in himself and those goals, providing he now doesnt play until the next round should give him that, im not advocating that he starts, but if he is on the bench youd like to think he can make an impact if he comes on.

Giroud, great when he first came on then was played deeper and not as good, but really liked his aggression and passion, got to start for me next time out.

Eisfeld, well well well, I really like him, obviously things to learn but on the ball he is gifted, reminded me of Arshavin to be honest in the way he moves, definately would like to see him get more chances, potential is there and he he is clearly a better "baller" than alot of our young mids like Frimpong and Coquelin.

Meade - looked alright when he came on.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Morning all!!

Have we all recovered from last night's quiet game!?! Haha...

For the last hour or so I have been talking to a couple of mates who are united fans...
They watched last night's goal fest and had to say a few things about it,firstly it got them actually dreading the game against them coming up...points they made were the fact the 1st team will take a huge moral boost from this as they will have to step in line and show they are just as capable even if we go behind to united to get a result all being the gulf in differences between united and reading but even more so to head into the fixture believing that they should somehow out do last night's game..granted we won't hit 7 against united but I do see their logic behind the comments...we have said in the past that these cup games are always seaming to be let down the next time we get a league game....
For once I would just like to see the benefits go our way and pull of an amazing result against robin and his band of overhyped boys....

Before last night's game I was dreading heading into the weekend game for obvious reasons dreading the facts we are not playing well and not hitting that many goals..

It's all changed now.....bring on united...I think a bit of payback and a nice v sign flicked at robin is in order....

Turn up and smash them boys....tails are up and the wind is fully in our sails....

5-7 still seams all to unreal.....7 goals away from home a the hattrick and one of if not the greatest come back of all time...

Oh and chamakh scores two....lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 pm

Martinez I'd forgive him for the third goal, but he didn't impress me with dealing with the crosses, but he is highly rated, so I have to see more of him.
Jenks and JD OK
Laurent We can say he is low on confidence and isn't exactly getting a run if games, nice goal though
Miquel He should play as a center back
Coquelin and Frimpong Offered the back four zero protection./ I really liked Le Coq last year, but I don't think he has developed since then
Gnabry Poor game from him maybe moves the hype away from him which might in the long term, be a good thing
Arshavin I really thought he had a passing completion rate of less than 20% in the first half, but then he grew into the game, made some key passes and more importantly, made 3-4 assists. He was running during the 120th minute, I couldn't believe what I saw
Chamakh Pedestrian for most of the game but scored 2 class goals
Theo Brilliant
Eisfeld Looks talented, provided key passes and we know he can get on the end of balls. Very promising, but I think he needs to hit the gym, and hopefully grow 2 inches taller
Giroud Handsome French dude who will and is coming good. He works hard every time he is on the pitch, really loving the guy. Hope he gets a goal or two or three or four against United.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 pm

Anyone know if Jenks has officially been given that goal? Arsenal.com have it down as his, but other websites are saying Walcott got the hat-trick! I know Theo 'gave' the goal to Carl in the post match interview, but any official word on the scorer?

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by dbruce5 Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:24 am

Walcott was given the 4th goal. Just saw it on Arsenal.com

dbruce5
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 am

does anyone have a link to match highlights?
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 am

Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 am

Thanks.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 am

Zero League Cup coverage in Australia, had to settle for some poor highlights package that didn't do the game justice.

I take it a number of you are members and as such have access to Arsenal player, is it worth the money to become a member considering that's about the only benefit I would get?

I have to see this game!

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 am

Quarter final draw, Bradford away. Would've liked a home draw cos I like the cheap tickets but that's the best draw we could've got. League Two opposition, surely we can't slip up against a team like Bradford?! ...Actually, don't answer that! Rolling Eyes

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 am

Absolutly chuffed with the draw.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Elisabeth Studentschnig Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 am

loving the draw, especially because i live next door... plus, it's in bradford on a wednesday night- surely tickets won't cost that much either. woop woop!
Elisabeth Studentschnig
Elisabeth Studentschnig
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:53 am

On another note this is a serious chance at ending the draught.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Yes. Arsenal have no excuse not to at least reach the final now. Losing to Bradford shouldn't happen, and in a 2 leg semi, I fancy our chances against anyone, Chelsea included. In fact, getting Chelsea in the semi would have advantages and disadvatages: the advantage is an easier final if we go through, the disadvantage is 2 tough games in a busy January schedule.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Can anyone give me the full draw list? Nice draw for the QF though.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Great draw! Chelsea go to Leeds as well which is tough!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next