Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading vs Arsenal

+20
dbruce5
Jenks1981
Steve Dawson
Darcy Gorman
Jonathan Prendergast
Marko Maksimović
Michael Schatzky
Chris Chan
Assan Touray
Jason Morrison
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Meshaal
Joey Schwab
Michael Foster
Durrell
ralph avedikian
Mike York
Mario
kique.canto
Vanig Bostanian
24 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Reading vs Arsenal Empty Reading vs Arsenal

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:35 pm

So a nice COC game that us Arsenal fans enjoy watching. We got a nice win during the weekend and should really win this to gain some momentum going into the United game. Normally I'd like to see our youngsters in these matches, but for the first time maybe I'd prefer giving some game time to our second choice players. I'd like to see Szczesny start if he's fit enough, same for Theo and The Ox. My lineup would be:
Szczesny
Jenks Kos Dj Andre
Coquelin Arsha Ramsey
Theo Giroud The Ox
A goal for Giroud would be nice, and Santos is the type of guy who needs a run of games to get going. I read that Gibbs might be back soon, so tiring him shouldn't be much of an issue.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Reading vs Arsenal Empty Re: Reading vs Arsenal

Post by kique.canto Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 pm

I like your lineup and I agree about Santos, doesn't look like Szcz or Ox will play though according to the team news.

I'm hoping to see a performance from Arshavin like the last Capital One Cup game.
kique.canto
kique.canto
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I admit that I like the Rumbelows Milk Littlewoods Coca-Cola Carling Capital One Cup. Not because it’s the most prestigious tournament, not because it’s got the best players, but because it provides football we can watch without the stomach-churning pressure of every other game we play these days.

No doubt if we don’t get a result tonight it’ll be stockpiled, melted down and turned into some kind of bat with which to bash everything about everything, but given the team is likely to be a mix of experience (fringe in some cases) and raw talent it’s not a game that’s truly representative of our overall ability. That said, it’s a game in which you want to see players show their ability.

Those first teamers who haven’t played much this season, like Djourou, Arshavin, Koscielny and Chamakh (*cough*) get a chance to remind the manager of their quality, while it’s further playing time for the likes of Jenkinson, Miquel and others who aren’t exactly untried youth. But it’s the last group that make the Rumbelows Milk Littlewoods Coca-Cola Carling Capital One Cup exciting, for the most part. Seeing the potential stars of the future is simply fun, it’s kind of pure and just not laden down with the tons of bollocks that goes with everything else these days.

Although they might feel it, there’s no real pressure on these guys. Sure, they want to go out and prove to Arsene Wenger that they’re capable of playing for the Arsenal first team, that they’re ready to make their mark, but in terms of the result – even if we’re not playing one of the Premier League’s real big boys – they can’t really be held responsible for it.

As we’ve seen, shining in this competition is no guarantee of success. You think of someone like Carlos Vela, who scored hat-tricks, cheeky chips and caught the eye in a big way, but was unable to reproduce that when the games really counted. There have been others who have had the Quincy Factor down the years too, but there’s no doubt it’s a chance to experience first team football and catch the eye of a manager who is not afraid to give youth a chance when he feels it’s good enough.

Speaking of which, he’s been talking about young German, Serge Gnabry, who has been fast-tracked a bit this season and whose versatility could be a key factor in how often he’s used. He said:

He is a guy who can play in all the offensive positions. I think he could even play centre forward. He has a kind of efficiency in his game, and can get on the end of things.

He has big potential, creative potential, finishing potential. Serge is 17 years old and strong for a boy of that age.

Some will say it’s paucity of options that saw him chucked on against Norwich and Schalke, and to an extent that’s a fair point. I know every experience is a learning experience for a young player but expecting a kid of just 17 to come on and turn around two abysmal performances was rather too much to ask. All the same, he’s hardly going to be traumatised by it and it’s part and parcel of his development. I’m interested to see more of him, I have to say.

And while there are others bubbling under, I’m most looking forward to seeing the other German, Thomas Eisfeld. He signed from Borussia Dortmund last January and is now at an age (19) where he’s got to start playing more regularly for his development to continue. He looks to me, from the brief appearances we’ve seen, a mix between Arteta and Ljungberg. A tidy, technical attacking midfielder but he also seems to have the knack of good timing, of knowing when to arrive in the box, and that his name appears quite often on the scoresheet is evidence of that.

With the Arsenal midfield the way it is at the moment, you suspect a loan spell will be on the cards at some point this season – but how he performs in the Rumbelows Milk Littlewoods Coca-Cola Carling Capital One Cup might decide the level of the club he goes to. So, the combination of experience and youth, all of them with something to prove in one way or another, should hopefully bring about a decent performance tonight.

I can’t pretend to know too much about Reading or how they’re going to approach this, but I suspect they won’t be playing as many kids/reserves as us. A win over Arsenal, regardless of which flavour Arsenal it is, would provide them with the kind of confidence boost they could really use, so I think it’s going to be a stiff enough test this evening. Fingers crossed we come through it.
http://arseblog.com/2012/10/reading-preview-something-to-prove/
Quite a good matchday preview from Arseblog

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 pm

I also enjoy watching these types of games without that extra pressure on a result and seeing how fringe/youth players perform. And it's not a competition that will make or break our season.

However, it goes without saying but we need to win a trophy. Any trophy, even if this isn't the top of the priorities list. We don't have a winning culture around the club at the moment and that needs to change. And we're losing our best players every summer so it's evident that just finishing in the top 4 isn't going to cut it with certain players and maybe a boost with a cup win will change things at the club.

Anyway, that doesn't mean I want or expect to see a full strength line up tonight. That would be silly. Man Utd and Schalke away are more important games. I'd go with something like,

Martinez
Jenkinson - Djourou - Koscielny - Santos
Coquelin - Arshavin - Yennaris
Walcott - Giroud - Gnabry

... don't know if Frimpong is ready to start and a start for Gnabry away from home might seem a bit much but if he's ready to come on in the Champions League and league games, even if it's for 15mins, he must have the talent and temperament for a game like this.

Bench can be made up of Chamakh, Squillaci, Miquel, Mannone, Frimpong, Eisfeld and one more. I want to see Eisfeld come on and see what he has in a competitive game. From what I've seen he is an impact player, clever with his movement and his runs, and finishing, but isn't someone who will take control of a game or be involved constantly throughout.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Looking forward to tonight. Wenger has said some players will be rested tonight which is good with Man Utd coming up. But I hope we don't underestimate Reading, though I think they'll see the Premer League survival as their priority anyway. I reckon we'll see...

Mannone/Martinez
Jenkinson - Kos - Miquel - Santos
Coquelin - Arshavin - Ramsey
Theo - Giroud - Gnabry

Maybe Djourou for Santos and switch Miquel to LB. I don't think Walcott would make a great central striker personally but maybe if Giroud gets rested or we get a two goal cusion he can be given a shot there.

There are some names old and young who I am excited to see tonight. Gnabry, Miquel, Eisfeld etc and if he is given his favourite role in the centre then Arshavin too. I think Reading will be tougher than most people may think but we'll get a win by a goal or two.

I read earlier today Frimpong said he'll need two more U21 games before he is ready - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8210564/ - says it there. So doubt we'll see him bar maybe as a sub.

Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 pm

From the Arsenal.com preview -

In the next week, Arsenal have massive - and by that I mean season-shaping - games at Manchester United and Schalke but the Frenchman will field pretty much everyone who did not start against QPR at the weekend (plus Olivier Giroud who did). Messers Walcott, Arshavin, Koscielny, Djourou, Coquelin, Frimpong and Jenkinson are expected to begin the game. But for injury, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain would have done too. As for the youngsters, Masters Gnabry, Eisfield, Miquel, Yennaris and Bellerin will be involved.

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3560718/first-team/reading-v-arsenal?tab=preview

So replace Frimpong with Yennaris in my side and there looks to be a possibility of Miquel starting at left back with Santos being rested. Although I'd personally play him, his form is terrible but a run of games can only be a good thing for him. But the sooner Gibbs returns, the better. He needs to be back by the weekend otherwise Utd will score about 4 goals from Santos' side.

Edit: Here's the squad -

Arsenal squad:

6 Laurent Koscielny
12 Olivier Giroud
14 Theo Walcott
18 Sebastien Squillaci
20 Johan Djourou
22 Francis Coquelin
23 Andrey Arshavin
25 Carl Jenkinson
26 Emmanuel Frimpong
29 Marouane Chamakh
36 Damian Martinez (GK)
40 Hector Bellerin
46 Thomas Eisfeld
47 Serge Gnabry
53 Jernade Meade
54 Ignasi Miquel
60 James Shea (GK)
64 Nico Yennaris

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Frimpong said he's not ready for Arsenal yet and needs to go on loan. It's good that he knows himself quite well.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Martinez

Jenk - Kos - DJ - Miquel

Coquelin - Yennaris

Gnabry - Eisfeld - Arshavin

Theo

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 am

Giroud needs to start, because he needs to start scoring. Our only recognised striker needs to believe he can score, and there is no better place to start doing that (again) than a cup game against poor opposition.

The strength of the team will be telling with Man Utd round the corner. And also a little scary if it means the side that struggled to beat QPR is the best we can put out against the 12 men of Manchester United.
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:32 am

Anybody know if this will be on tv,sky,tinternet??
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:33 am

Sky Sports 2 I think
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:08 am

Streams please??? I'm stuck at work with no TV but I do have a spare computer set up.

I'm looking at you here, Sam.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:46 am

Joey Scwab - Try livescorehunter.

Not sure of the exact URL but easy to find if you type ro and livescorehunter in google.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:53 am

Cheers Meshaal, I'll be trying those close to game time
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 am

Anyone enjoying this? Rolling Eyes
It's one of those 'so shit I'm laughing' kind of performances.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 am

holy fuck this is bad
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:29 am

This is honestly the worst performance I have ever seen in my life. Never ever seen a team, nevermind arsenal, so void of any effort whatsoever!
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Assan Touray Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 am

Bahaha. I expected us to lose to United but not 4-0 to Reading at half time.
Assan Touray
Assan Touray
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am

This is rather disgraceful to be honest. I'm slowly losing all interest in this shit. I still watch all our games, but I really couldn't tell you why I bother anymore. I know this is just a league cup game, but still. Even games like these that we usually look forward to have been infected now.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Assan Touray Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:34 am

Second half comeback? Nah.
Assan Touray
Assan Touray
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 am

What's the bench look like?
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Assan Touray Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 am

Jason Morrison wrote:What's the bench look like?

Shea, Meade, Squillaci, Bellerin, Yennaris, Eisfeld, Giroud.

Hopefully Chamakh comes off soon, there's no point having him on the pitch.
Assan Touray
Assan Touray
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 am

Giroud's pretty much the only experienced option in there. I'm probably being over-dramatic with my previous post, but dammit, this is just abysmal stuff.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am

this is comical truly comical.......
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 am

What utter shit. We're playing with 2 DM's who are offering our back four zero protection. Arshavin's passes, despite his assist have been utter shit. Everyone has been utter shit. I think it's time for Theo to play up front. That was a classy finish and I'm sure he can offer a lot more than bloody Gervinho.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next