Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Arsenal’s latest transfer window show a “lack of ambition”?

+9
Hisham El Mawan
Jonathan Prendergast
Subrat Koirala
Marko Maksimović
John Foxall
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Foster
Michael Schatzky
Mario
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does Arsenal’s latest transfer window show a “lack of ambition”? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Arsenal’s latest transfer window show a “lack of ambition”?

Post by Chris Chan Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote: I think this is more key than Bould for the first 3 games. You think they never practiced defense before bould became assistant coach? You think it has turned around due to him this quickly?

There is a marked change from the way we have defended in the past to the way we defend now. You can see at set pieces, everyone is more comfortable in their role and a number of players have come out and openly admitted that Bould has helped them understand how to defend as a team. Bould and Banfield have had a huge impact since their arrival and the players back up that view.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does Arsenal’s latest transfer window show a “lack of ambition”? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Arsenal’s latest transfer window show a “lack of ambition”?

Post by kdunn Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Chris Chan wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote: I think this is more key than Bould for the first 3 games. You think they never practiced defense before bould became assistant coach? You think it has turned around due to him this quickly?

There is a marked change from the way we have defended in the past to the way we defend now. You can see at set pieces, everyone is more comfortable in their role and a number of players have come out and openly admitted that Bould has helped them understand how to defend as a team. Bould and Banfield have had a huge impact since their arrival and the players back up that view.

agreed but how much easier is it to implement this defensive training now that we have a composed, postionally aware, disciplined pass master as the furthest back as opposed to song who misplaced simple passes, and was anything but positionally aware or disciplined.

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Chris Chan wrote:

Do you have a links for this? Not being dismissive. Just haven't see it myself. It would be great if the players are reacting well to Bould.

As I suggested, I think those sorts of adjustments show themselves over a few months, not in 3 games. Skrtel had a great headed chance in the Liverpool game. Sometimes they go in. Sometimes they don't.

Oh, and agree with kdunn. In open play, need a good foundation to defend as a team, like Arteta.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Arteta is huge for us, he really is. We have no replacement for him.

Jenkinson credits Bould here - http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/jenkinson-we-ve-shown-we-mean-business

Vermaelen - http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-steve-bould-is-very-focused-on-details-

Szczesny - http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/szczesny-bould-impact-has-been-immediate

It's a great start defensively and you can see we not leaving players as isolated and our shape seems good. But you need the players to carry out the instructions and we need to see how consistent we are over the course of the season before saying we have turned a corner. But without jinxing it, we will surely not be conceding 49 league goals this season.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:25 am

Read something about the Ox praising Bould too today

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:07 am

Our first 11 is very good (with some concerns for me - Giroud being the biggest at this point... his performances have been fine and he's shown promise, but he has a big role and high expectations). Our depth? Big, big question marks all over the place.

Can Walcott, Arshavin and Gervais step up when needed? They haven't proved the most reliable in their Arsenal careers.

Chamakh is Chamakh - can he regain form if required?

Is Coquelin good enough to step in when Arteta picks up an injury?

Will Diaby and Wilshere stay fit enough to provide meaningful depth and competition?

Can Ramsey regain some for and confidence?

Question marks all over the place with this squad. So far so good: Mertesacker has looked good stepping in for Koscielny (always thought he'd come good), Jenks has worked hard and done well, and Mannone's done okay too. So defensively those are good signs.

Now, this was avoidable. Another midfielder at the very least would've provided some competition and depth for the 2 non-Cazorla midfield spots. We tried to get Sahin, good, but when that fell through we didn't have anything. Is M'Vila not good enough? Rumor was we offered Arshavin + 8m for Cabaye, which didn't happen, on deadline day. Smacks of desperation. Another striker, too, was needed. Didn't happen.

So yes, I think there is some lack of ambition. Why, I don't know.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:53 am

Bit off topic but as crediting Bould was mentioned...

Arsene Wenger not slow to praise the man responsible for Arsenal’s strong defence

Arsene Wenger has praised his adjutant Steve Bould claiming that he is doing a “very good job” in shoring up the defensive unit at Arsenal.

Arsenal have maintained an excellent defensive co-ordination at the back and have yet to concede a goal in the present Barclays Premier League campaign.

Skipper Thomas Vermaelen spoke about Arsenal’s new-found defensive solidarity at the back, and gave enough credit to the former central defender at Arsenal, who took the duties of coaching job after the retirement of Pat Rice this summer.

Arsenal missed Laurent Koscielny for the opening two matches, while right-back Bacary Sagna is still out injured with a broken leg, and once the duo returns fully fit, the defensive line up will get even better.

Wenger is happy with the progress and believes his side can finish with the best defensive record in the league at the end of the season.

Wenger said while speaking to The Sun: “We have played two teams who didn’t really attack, but he [Bould] is doing a good job.

“We continue our training regime. He has taken over from Pat Rice for the defensive job where he is doing very well.
“Will we finish with the best defence in the league? I hope so.”

However, the Frenchman, who feels these are positive signs for the greater challenge ahead, insists his side will continue to play attractive and attacking football that promises more goals while keeping the good defensive record intact.

He added: “No, no, we want to score goals, but Steve Bould is doing very well and I am confident we have a good defensive record at the end of the season.”

http://footylatest.com/arsene-wenger-not-slow-to-praise-the-man-responsible-for-arsenals-strong-defence/32161
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:18 am

I'm glad Bould is doing a good job, and Wenger and the players are appreciating it. But as Wenger says “We have played two teams who didn’t really attack, but he [Bould] is doing a good job."

The article and headline are a bit misleading.

But what it is does show is that Bould has seamlessly integrated into the set up, and is getting along with players and coach. Great news.

For me, Arteta's move into a more defensive position has been great. Wherever he plays, it becomes our teams strength. In his more advanced role last season, our ability to keep posession at some times and attack quickly at other times was fantastic. But our midfield went missing in defence at a few crucial times (eg. QPR). I think if Arteta played a forward role, then he'd be great there also. Maybe even fullback? Fuck, chuck him in goals!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:17 am

When Cazorla was taken off and Arteta got the role in our second game, I thought he was class again. Man I love that player. I'm considering either Arteta or Koscielny on the back of my kit.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2