Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yann M'Vila

+24
Marko Maksimović
Justin Chew
Jenson Pais
John Foxall
Ashraf Peeran
Christopher Flanagan
Gopi
DaveToffy
Mario
Sami Rockfeller
CarolinaGunner87
Jonathan Prendergast
pwoodman1
Wesley Wang
ralph avedikian
Vanig Bostanian
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Chris Chan
Zaid Derweesh
Subrat Koirala
eyal.peer
Jason Morrison
Jenks1981
Samritpal Singh
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Yann M'Vila - Page 2 Empty Re: Yann M'Vila

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue May 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Hope this is true or it would be embarrassing because I liked the welcome to Arsenal Yann video on youtube Razz
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 pm

I don't care who will play in midfield when we sign him, for all I know we'll have 5 injuries to 5 central midfielders next season. This season was more about defence.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue May 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Ralph is right. This season we lost our fullbacks, next season it'll probably be our midfield. Although I'm willing to bet that its our attack.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm

I won't believe this unless we beat West Brom. There must be a reason it's 99% and not 100% and my feeling is that if screw up the final day and finish 4th or below, this deal may not be as conclusive as it seems today.

If it happens though, I will be delighted. Just what we need (from what I've read about him, probably only seen him play a couple of times for France).

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

James Olley ‏ @JamesOlley
Confusion over M'Vila. Player's camp claim deal (& fee) agreed, #afc sources say they are no longer interested. Am believing the latter now.

Interesting.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Ashburton Grove ‏ @ashburton_grove
To calm nerves, we’re definitely interested in M’Vila but the club are telling journalists no deal is finalised. Talks have taken place.

Rather different take on it to Olley's 'no longer interested' one. Who knows, who cares, this is why nobody ought to believe anything until it's finalised.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Spurs seem all but certain to sign Vertonghen, apparently because he wants to go to a club where he knows he'll start. That's fine by me, if he doesn't want to come to Arsenal and fight for his place then he can go to Spurs. We already have Koscielny.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy Wed May 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Mario Leontiou wrote:James Olley ‏ @JamesOlley
Confusion over M'Vila. Player's camp claim deal (& fee) agreed, #afc sources say they are no longer interested. Am believing the latter now.

Interesting.
This seems completely sensationalist and rather stupid. Of course we're interested.
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 pm

DaveToffy wrote:

Interesting.
This seems completely sensationalist and rather stupid. Of course we're interested.

Everyone seems to be ''in the know'' in regards to this. Why should anyone believe this over the other hundreds of reports claiming the opposite? I'm inclined to believe that none of these journalists have a clue.

No wonder Arsenal rarely sign anyone in good time, what with their tendency to inform all these people about their transfer negotiations and plans eh? Razz
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu May 10, 2012 2:40 am

Interesting.
Who says we're not interested? Arsenal are very interested, the fans at least.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Fri May 11, 2012 3:50 am

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/150218.html

"It is not true. There is not any interest at the moment," Wenger said. "We have not been in touch with anybody, we have not made any offer to anybody and we are nowhere near to buying anybody at the moment.

"We are focused on our final game of the season."

---

That's a disappointment. I would love for us to sign M'Vila, both as a statement of intent and as a no nonsense fuck-off midfielder. Hopefully we're just waiting until the end of the season.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by eyal.peer Fri May 11, 2012 4:47 am

Zaid Derweesh wrote:http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/150218.html

"It is not true. There is not any interest at the moment," Wenger said. "We have not been in touch with anybody, we have not made any offer to anybody and we are nowhere near to buying anybody at the moment.

"We are focused on our final game of the season."

---

That's a disappointment. I would love for us to sign M'Vila, both as a statement of intent and as a no nonsense fuck-off midfielder. Hopefully we're just waiting until the end of the season.

This only means we're finalizing the deal.

After it's done Wenger will say M'Vila "is an interesting player with many qualities", and a week later it will appear on Rennes' official website. Wink
eyal.peer
eyal.peer
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Fri May 11, 2012 5:58 am

One can hope....

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Gopi Fri May 11, 2012 6:09 am

we better fuckin' win on sunday

otherwise.........
Gopi
Gopi
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sat May 12, 2012 11:09 am

Wesley Wang wrote:I can't see us going for him given our current midfield situation. For the money he'd cost, he'd have to be a starter week-in week-out, and with Wilshere returning next season I'm not sure how our midfield would look.

Bench Song? He's tied with RvP for most assists in the PL.

Bench Mikel? He's been our most consistent performer and our results clearly suffer when he's out.

Bench Wilshere? Easily our best player in 2010/2011 in his debut season and already one of the first names on the roster for England.

Bench Rosicky? He's the creative spark we've been crying for since the departure of Cesc and Nasri. Drives the ball forward like no other.

Not to mention Ramsey, Diaby, Coquelin, who have all been decent when called upon.

And let's not forget the midfield maestro that is Denilson is returning too.

"Bench Song? He's tied with RvP for most assists in the PL."

Simply not a relevant metric by which to measure the worth of a DM. The fact that this is the case is simply evidence our midfield is not functioning as it should. When you look at our goals conceded column, that is compounded. When you take a qualitative view, you can see that Song is a liability. Phoned in performances and hospital passes. The odd glory pass (among the dozens he tries which fail or give the opposition chances - see Norwich at the weekend) does not make up for this. I wouldn't even just bench him; I'd sell him. But that's me. Even if we keep him the competition would be good and both could play together when needed.

"Bench Mikel? He's been our most consistent performer and our results clearly suffer when he's out."

Nope, play Mikel alongside him.

"Bench Wilshere? Easily our best player in 2010/2011 in his debut season and already one of the first names on the roster for England."

I don't think we can rely on Wilshere to play again any time soon, but even if he did, there is space for Wilshere, Arteta and M'Vila.

"Bench Rosicky? He's the creative spark we've been crying for since the departure of Cesc and Nasri. Drives the ball forward like no other."

A side with Rosicky starting more games than not isn't going to win anything. I like Thomas but he is a squad player at best. His output this season (4 goals & 4 assists in some 40 games I believe) is simply not good enough for someone of his age, quality, position on the field and likelihood to start. We need to improve upon him or he needs to improve. At his age, the latter is unlikely. Can still have an important squad role, of course.

Not to mention Ramsey, Diaby, Coquelin, who have all been decent when called upon.

Let's mention them: erratic form & still learning; erratic form & barely functions; and too raw & still learning. All can offer something on a rotational basis except Diaby who should be binned off.

M'Vila is exactly the calibre and type of player we need. DM is the weakest position in our strongest XI apart from left forward, which we have already addressed. The idea that there isn't space for him is madness. If any player can't cope with the completion, they need to be at a less high profile club. Really hope this happens.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sat May 12, 2012 11:34 am

I agree mostly with Chris, but I wouldn't sell Song. I'd rotate him with Arteta, and start M'Vila and Wilshere whenever available. It may be a bit of a risk, but instead of Arteta making safety passes and keeping the ball moving, wouldn't that be the job of the DM? Win the ball, circle it back. As long as Song isn't atrocious with his passing, he may do well there. I'd probably play Arteta against teams that would sit back, and Song against other teams, not sure how it would work. I just feel Song is useful and can play those two positions.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sat May 12, 2012 11:42 am

I don't think that Song can play in any position particularly convincingly but I know I'm fighting the tide on that one. I also think a degree of pragmatism may be needed. We have limited squad space and limited resources. Song is a very sellable asset.

It's not like I'd complain if he's still here next year like Squillaci though.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gopi Sat May 12, 2012 2:15 pm

i fully agree with chris - song has become a liability

since he seems to have neglected his defensive duties in favor of getting upfield, therefore, he is no good as a DM

and as an attacking player, surely there are hundreds of players better than him we could use in that role
Gopi
Gopi
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I really like Song whenever he doesn't go forward and doesn't try Hollywood passes, but how often does that happen these days? Sure we are relying on his assists but that's not his job, him going forward and not covering the back is a weakness in our team, and relying on a DM's assists is another weakness. I wouldn't necessarily sell him, but I wouldn't be against getting a person with some discipline.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat May 12, 2012 6:36 pm

He was a far better player for me back in 2010 when he didn't go forward and didn't try Hollywood stuff.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Sat May 12, 2012 7:21 pm

I dont understand why people are complaining. Song has offered us a lot of creativity to break down tough defenses, which is something we've lacked. Sure, it might be at the expense of risking being punished on the fast break every now and then, but with our mid fielding not exactly being able to produce defense splitting passes without him, it's a risk we need to take. Yes, he can learn to be more disciplined and work harder, but I think with a midfield of:
Wilshere-Song-Arteta or Wilshere-Song-Rosicky or whatever, the other two will be intelligent enough to provide defensive cover when he goes forward and we won't have to worry about being left vulnerable on the break.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sat May 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Because Song simply isn't that good going forward. And because we have conceded a disgraceful amount of goals this season. Now, neither of those things are all his fault. But they are both largely his fault.

The whole 'Song has to go forward because we need him to' thing is completely misleading. Yes, we have some creativity issues that need addressing. But Song is not Xavi. He is simply not that good at creating. He's not terrible at it, but he's not good at it either, certainly not good enough to allow him free reign. And why in the name of Mary would you want better, more naturally creative midfielders to drop back and cover for Song? It's just madness.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Sat May 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Ashraf Peeran wrote:I dont understand why people are complaining. Song has offered us a lot of creativity to break down tough defenses, which is something we've lacked. Sure, it might be at the expense of risking being punished on the fast break every now and then, but with our mid fielding not exactly being able to produce defense splitting passes without him, it's a risk we need to take. Yes, he can learn to be more disciplined and work harder, but I think with a midfield of:
Wilshere-Song-Arteta or Wilshere-Song-Rosicky or whatever, the other two will be intelligent enough to provide defensive cover when he goes forward and we won't have to worry about being left vulnerable on the break.

9 times out of 10 his passes fail giving the opposition a chance to hit us on the counter, I'd rather he sit back and prevent the opponents from doing anything at all rather than give the ball away.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 pm

No one's suggesting that Song is Xavi, but name one other player this season who has stepped up to the plate when we've needed a defense splitting pass to break down a team which is extremely tight at the back. I don't see Arteta making those passes, nor do I see Ramsey doing it. I'm not saying to make Arteta play at DM and keep Song up front trying Hollywood passes all day long, but when we're in need of a goal I like to see Song go further up the field and try to pick out passes. He might not be brilliant at it but after Rosicky I'd say he's the best we've got.

And to say that Song is largely to blame for us conceding a lot of goals this season, now THAT is madness.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum