Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 Summer Transfers

+64
marco.batra
Yash
danan.sonokun
JavierVen
smoreno
David Hung
rschalala
Will.sheng
sammiabdoh
Ravneet Singh
chris eades
cozypilo
janelle.noel
Krypton_Gooner
Michael Schatzky
Richard Wallace
Mohamed Samir
Adam Sisson
fkamil
kdunn
Mohammed Arshaq
Z. Derweesh
Marko Maksimović
CarolinaGunner87
ahrstic
Wesley Wang
Darcy Gorman
Steve Dawson
kique.canto
Subrat Koirala
Iboro Umana
Jenson Pais
Min Shan
jason.mandryk
John Foxall
Jason Morrison
Samritpal Singh
Gopi
pwoodman1
DaveToffy
eyal.peer
Mike York
Alejandro Perreira
Hisham El Mawan
Meshaal
ChippyBrady
Vijay Saibola
Dan Hakim
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Joey Schwab
Adriel Williams
Mario
ralph avedikian
Stephen Mitchell
vyom.chaudhary
Chris Chan
Zaid Derweesh
Christopher Flanagan
Jenks1981
Michael Foster
Vanig Bostanian
Justin Chew
Sami Rockfeller
Jonathan Prendergast
68 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

2012 Summer Transfers - Page 40 Empty Re: 2012 Summer Transfers

Post by Michael Foster Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:57 pm

One thing that's pissed me off after the weeks and weeks of Arsen saying things like "oh we might sign".."oh we are looking for something special to come along we won't sign average players".....the stark truth is every team involved signed some cracking players last night even QPR pulled some blinders in.....we have players like cazorla come in and immediately ask for robin to be replaced...even he knows podolski and giroud need some quality back up,
What did we do........nothing.......all that money available all the wage bills being slashed and its too much to get at least a defensive mid in....or even the poxy 6m for Dempsey.....

I for one could not give two fucks about arsens post transfer window interview....
The way I see it man city have the league and pos champions league wrapped up...

Everyone else can go for the fa cup..and capital one cup....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:57 pm

It's the same old story. Gambling on the fitness of injury prone players, just like every other season, and just like every other season it won't work and we all know it. Wilshere's been out for a year, Rosicky, Diaby and Arteta are all injury prone. Expect a lack of midfield options at one point similar to the fullback one we had last season. It's inevitable.

We could have done something about it but chose not to, as we always do. You'd think after 5-6 seasons of making the same mistakes and taking the same risks things would change.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:30 pm

With the loss of park,bendtner,jack,and the fact we pick up injuries and we are in all competitions...what happens if the injuries start to mount up...there is 3 out of the squad to at least have some depth...is the capital one cup going to be another 'kids day out' kiss goodbye to the chances in that one.....will the fa cup be our only realistic chance? Probably...when you have the likes of man city...who have in one day drastically improved the squad not to mention all the other teams that have...anything can happen in the fa cup...

bringing in at least a defensive mid would fill the squad with a bit more confidence
At least signal that we know where are weakness is and doing something about it...

We need to slap the shit out of Liverpool and get our strikers working with the unit this weekend....for one thing to relieve the pressure mounting of we could possibly end this weekend on a loss and still have scored no goals.....

Imagine...3rd game of the season and no goals....is that acceptable??
And to think at least Dempsey went for a mere 6mil...

No fucking way
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:34 pm

And just to add another thing that pissed me off...we almost all agreed that a back up keeper would be a good idea....

So making a cheeky bid for Robert green who just got replaced by Cesar?!??!?

No end of cheep deals could have been had in this window....Wenger took no advantage of any of them....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 am

Michael Foster wrote:And just to add another thing that pissed me off...we almost all agreed that a back up keeper would be a good idea....

No end of cheep deals could have been had in this window....Wenger took no advantage of any of them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxspfInbLV8

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 am

kdunn wrote:
Michael Foster wrote:And just to add another thing that pissed me off...we almost all agreed that a back up keeper would be a good idea....

And how many fuck ups has flappy made so far?? Ten fold to greens...I know who I would rather.......
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 am

and of course Dembele scores a cracker for the scum

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:02 am

Either Wenger is extremely confident that (a) our new attacking crop will gel quickly and score plenty enough to compensate for the goals we may concede, (b) or that we'll keep it tight and have many 1 nil to the Arsenal scorelines this season, or (c) our club has reached the extremes of being a miser.

However, I'm still positive we're better than every team bar the two Manchester clubs, mind. Hence I don't see the point in spending excessively just to close the point gap from 19 to 9. Will want every player to fight for the shirt every single game though.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:22 am

We can still sign free agents , We need a back up keeper, a DM and a back up striker all with premier league experience - Craig Gordon, Owen Hargreaves and Ivan Klasnic all still available. Laughing

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
ralph avedikian wrote:Really disappointed we didn't sign anyone. Let's say we do have enough bodies in midfield(let's not say that we don't have a proven defensive midfielder at the club), the least Wenger should have done was to buy a back-up striker. We only have Giroud and Chamakh, and no I won't count Podolski/Theo as strikers because they are simply not good enough there.

Podolski did score 18 goals in 29 Bundesliga games last year for a relegated team, playing central striker. Of course he can be good enough there.
Sure we don't have have 5 central strikers like United, but we have 3, plus Theo, Arsharvin, Gervinho who could fill in for the odd game. Just like Carrick has to play Centre Back for United occasionally.

Cavani would have been nice though.

Seriously? The man can't score.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:56 am

Succeeding at Arsenal is the biggest challenge of Podolski's career. I don't think scoring statistics in Germany guarantee anything. He's looked bright so far though...

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 am

Depends how you define "success at Arsenal"... None of us know what AW tells Poldi to do when he steps on the pitch. Whether it's to score or to drop deep, make runs wide or cut inside. He does look bright, he has a lot more strength and pace than I thought he did. As for Giroud well, he needs a goal otherwise his hold up play is a lot more confident than Chamakh's was. Gervinho is frighteningly frustrating. Satisfied with our summer business.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 am

Depends how you define "success at Arsenal"... None of us know what AW tells Poldi to do when he steps on the pitch. Whether it's to score or to drop deep, make runs wide or cut inside.

Well someone needs to score. It's what he's been doing in Germany so that'll be the yardstick by which he's judged here. If he just permanently sticks out on the left he's unlikely to be at his most useful. I think he can contribute to goals but probably not figures like he had in the Bundesliga.

As for the question of instructions, we don't know what any player is told to do, we just judge them on the pitch.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:33 am

John Foxall wrote:
Depends how you define "success at Arsenal"... None of us know what AW tells Poldi to do when he steps on the pitch. Whether it's to score or to drop deep, make runs wide or cut inside.

Well someone needs to score. It's what he's been doing in Germany so that'll be the yardstick by which he's judged here. If he just permanently sticks out on the left he's unlikely to be at his most useful. I think he can contribute to goals but probably not figures like he had in the Bundesliga.

As for the question of instructions, we don't know what any player is told to do, we just judge them on the pitch.

He's a striker so the obvious yard stick is how often he scores however he does seem useful out left, drifting in a bit too. I'm most excited about him tbh. More than Cazorla or Giroud.

For argument's sake, how can you judge someone on the pitch when you don't know what he's been told to do out there? What if in theory AW tell's Gervinho to play hop-scotch when he cuts inside with the ball from the wing and he doesn't do it and sends the ball rocketing into the top corner? Very Happy
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:37 am

Wenger hardly has a reputation as someone that micro-manages every move a player has on the pitch.

As for the new signings, Cazorla is by quite some way the best player, he just needs the other players to do their part. I think it's too early to judge the team as a whole this year, but they're going to be blunter initially than last year just because of the loss of RvP.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:41 am

Cazorla is one heck of a buy. He really could take the League by storm but I've always liked Poldi, since his early Köln days. Yeah, losing RvP is a big knock, but two players to try and cover the hole up isn't bad considering the factors affecting the market, ie. economy, high wages for top quality players... It just sends us in a full circle again back to ambition, money, way forward etc. Very Happy Wow, I really need to find a better way to spend my Saturday nights instead of over-analysing Arsenal and studying till I drop Very Happy
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:It's the same old story. Gambling on the fitness of injury prone players, just like every other season, and just like every other season it won't work and we all know it. Wilshere's been out for a year, Rosicky, Diaby and Arteta are all injury prone. Expect a lack of midfield options at one point similar to the fullback one we had last season. It's inevitable.

We could have done something about it but chose not to, as we always do. You'd think after 5-6 seasons of making the same mistakes and taking the same risks things would change.

Disagree. The problem in midfield is not depth.

Cazorla, Chamberlain, Coquelin, Arteta, Jack, Diaby, Rosicky, Ramsey, Frimpong. 9 players for 3 positions, compared to 4 players for 2 full back positions.

I'd have loved a top class midfielder to come in, as I would be at any time, or an experience solid midfielder who would fill in for 1 or 2 seasons.

But other than that, we would just end up with more 'Deadwood' when injured players come back.

Previous mistakes in the past 5-6 seasons were not having a defensive mid after Diarra, Flamini and Gilberto all left, and also failing to build each season by adding a quality player (like Reina or Alonso when the chance was there).
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Michael Foster wrote:
kdunn wrote:

And how many fuck ups has flappy made so far?? Ten fold to greens...I know who I would rather.......

But Green makes his stuff ups as an experienced international keeper in his prime. Wenger obviously puts his faith in the young keepers over someone like Green.

Personally, I think it is great that Wenger brings young players through. But I don't think it works for keepers or Centre Backs (eg. Senderos). They only reach their prime later, by around 26 years old. If you bring through youngsters while chasing titles, you can't afford their mistakes as part of their development. You are better off spending money and buying experienced GK's and CB's. It's worked with SZCZ who I think is one of the best in the league, and Wenger has clearly made this shift in CB position with purchases of Per, Kos and Vermaelen.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40