Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal vs Fulham

+16
Michael Schatzky
smoreno
Meshaal
John Foxall
Dan Hakim
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Chris Chan
Hisham El Mawan
Jason Morrison
Steve Dawson
Ravneet Singh
Mike York
ralph avedikian
dbruce5
Vanig Bostanian
Mario
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Arsenal vs Fulham Empty Arsenal vs Fulham

Post by Mario Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Right, back to the league and a match against a team we couldn't beat last season and who are currently level on points with us. This is the start of 3 home games in a row with Tottenham and Montpellier following. 9 points would be lovely but the way we are playing is that realistic? You could see 5 points with the win coming against the French side. We are struggling to put a performance together over 90 minutes and haven't done since West Ham a month ago. Not that that game was perfect of course but you could at least see a team capable out there. Unfortunately, since then that hasn't been the case.

There were a few positive signs against Schalke going forward and with the lack of chances we create we need to be as clinical as possible with the few we do create. But defensively we have slipped back into type.

Team news

Szczesny is playing for the under-21's today and may be in the squad tomorrow if he pulls through. But will he start two games in two days? I doubt it. The Ox and Ramsey are to have late fitness tests. We really do miss the Ox and his directness, unpredictability, energy and pace. Kieran Gibbs is still out. Jack Wilshere is suspended. And there's no sign of return for the Kings of Cripples, Rosicky and Diaby. '3 weeks' indeed.

With Wilshere out, probably good for him to sit out a game before we break him again due to our lack of midfield options, we will probably go with Coquelin who, Coventry at home aside, has been painfully average this season. It might allow Arteta a bit more freedom to link further up the field.

The rest of the team picks itself, the same players as Schalke. Vermaelen can stay at left back, despite his lack of form and attacking inability hindering us, I'd rather him defending than Santos. And it's not as if Santos has done anything of note going forward this season. Apart from stopping the ball, trying to then dribble to the right and being tackled immediately. Cazorla looks in need of a rest btw, we will break him as well at this rate and his form is suffering for it. Theo and Giroud have a big role to play as Podolski is just not getting involved in front of goal. He has a lethal left foot but I can't remember the last attempt he had. It's worrying. I'll also like to say it now before the game but I really would have liked us to sign Berbatov this summer. Although doubtful that United would have sold us a decent player.

For Fulham, they will assess Mahamadou Diarra, who is nursing a knee injury. Manager Martin Jol says the Frenchman has no more than a 50-50 chance of being fit to face the Gunners. - From the BBC.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- Arsenal have never lost at home to Fulham in any competition (W22, D4).
- Fulham have only mustered seven goals in their 11 Premier League visits to Arsenal and have never scored more than once in any of those matches.
- They have only won three of 22 Premier League games against Arsenal. However, they won the last meeting (2-1 at Craven Cottage on 2 January), and are unbeaten in their last three matches against the Gunners.

Arsenal

- The Gunners have made their worst start to a Premier League season under Arsene Wenger, eclipsing the previous low of 16 points from 10 games last year.
- They are one of two sides yet to score a headed Premier League goal this season, along with Sunderland.
- Wenger's side have alternated between defeat and victory in the last five league games, winning twice and losing three times.
- The Gunners have conceded just eight league goals, the best record in the division. However, they have only kept one clean sheet in their last 13 league and cup games, and have leaked nine goals in their previous three matches.

Fulham

- Martin Jol's side have surrendered 12 points from winning positions this season, the highest tally in the top flight.
- Their total of 21 league goals is bettered by only Chelsea (22) and Manchester United (26).
- Last season it took the Cottagers until 2 January to score 21 league goals. Coincidentally, they reached that mark courtesy of a 2-1 win against Arsenal.
- Opta statistics show they have hit the target with 57% of shots this season, the highest proportion in the Premier League.

Apart from last season, we usually beat Fulham at home with relative ease. The stats show that. But times have changed and I wouldn't be surprised if this ends in a draw. Well, I wouldn't be surprised with any result really but I can see a draw.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Arsenal vs Fulham Empty Re: Arsenal vs Fulham

Post by Mario Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Why are some words highlighted with adverts?!

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 am

Right now I'm not sure what to expect from this team. When was the last time we were afraid of QPR and Fulham at home? We will see a dull performance with a draw or a loss as a result. Sorry I can't see better than that. 1-1

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by dbruce5 Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 am

We did not play well last season against fulham and I am worried about this game. Even though they lost Dempsey and Dembele they are a pretty decent club. Berbatov is lethal and Ruiz and Sidwell are playing quite well. We will have to keep tabs on Berbatov and our midfield and forwards need to create chances. I agree with you that Cazorla has lost form and we need some creativity from someone else.

Luckily Rosicky is back in first team training!

dbruce5
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Come on a bit of optimism! We will return to our best sooner rather than later, we won't stay like this forever and I don't see why this game can't be it. We will have 70% of the possession, maybe be a bit dull to watch but we will win it comfortably. I say 2-0, Podolski and Giroud.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:38 pm

I think we'll win this one today. 2-1 or 3-1. Berbatov (what a bargain) and Ruiz worry me a bit but we should definately be too much for Fulham. We usually have a good day against them anyway, esp at home.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravneet Singh Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:44 am

Could really do with 3 points...A bit of luck today and we might get some confidence back & things kick in from there on.

Ravneet Singh
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:33 am

Team: Mannone, Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Coquelin, Arteta, Cazorla, Walcott, Podolski, Giroud

Subs: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Santos, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Arshavin, Chamakh

Tommy V continues at LB then. Coq starts, as does Walcott for the first time in the league for fuck knows how long. Chesney back on the bench, two games in two days must be too much, I expect he'll be back next week. Wilshere must be rested due to his international call-up.

Really need to perform here. Would like to see a clean sheet as well, not had many of them since the start of the season.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:11 am

Goal! the handsome french bloke scores! loves the headed goals it seems!
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 am

Girooooooooud header from a corner 11 mins in, 1-0 up.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 am

Now he has a couple goals under his belt I hope he will go on a nice little run now. He's handy to have on the pitch on set pieces when both defending and attacking.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:14 am

I believe that's our first headed goal of the season in the league. And why didn't Wenger do his fist-shaking celebration thing when we scored?

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:14 am

Girouds last four goals have all been headers, including internationals.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:23 am

Poldi! Brilliant goal! haha
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:23 am

2-0! Podolski. Looking comfortable so far.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 am

Funny, we've scored 2 goals with just 2 attacks, contrary to how it usually goes, where its the opposition who does it against us...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 am

Jason Morrison wrote:Girouds last four goals have all been headers, including internationals.

Something we've missed in the team in our attack for quite a bit.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:25 am

Lets not concede 2 second half goals this time please...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am

Didn't even last to the 2nd half, fuck..!
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am

2-1 Sad Berbs. We've been solid up to now so better not lose grip of the game.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 am

Still confident of a win but we like making it difficult for ourselves.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 am

Jason Morrison wrote:Lets not concede 2 second half goals this time please...

We conceded 1 in each half against Schalke

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:40 am

Wow...2-2. Ridiculous.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 am

Same shit, different game, typical of us these days...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

different team, same shit will we never learn...

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next