Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man City vs Arsenal

+21
Assan Touray
Dan Hakim
John Foxall
smoreno
Meshaal
Mike York
dbruce5
Jonathan Prendergast
Jenks1981
Zaid Derweesh
Mario
Jason Morrison
Subrat Koirala
Durrell
Hisham El Mawan
Michael Foster
Mohamed Samir
Joey Schwab
nick t
Vanig Bostanian
Chris Chan
25 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Man City vs Arsenal Empty Man City vs Arsenal

Post by Chris Chan Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm

OK, some say our first 'real' test after what has been a pretty good start to the season. City have just suffered a demoralising defeat at the Bernabeu, however we have also had a very hard fought match in Montpellier where we looked knackered in the last quarter. Will City still be reeling from that loss in Spain or spurred on to prove their doubters? Will our players have fully recovered?

Not sure on this one, think it will be pretty tight. I'm up there over the weekend with Bermingham so hopefully we get the right result!

On a side note, anyone know which pub around there is the away pub?

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Man City vs Arsenal Empty Re: Man City vs Arsenal

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 pm

As I said in the other thread, we will win this one. It won't be easy, and can't see more than a one goal margin, but I'm confident we can win. Didn't watch our game midweek, but you guys are saying we dropped physically, you should have seen how much Man City players ran during their game against Real. 2-1 to the Arse!
?
Jenks Per Verm Gibbs
Diaby Cazorla Arteta
The OX Gervais Podolski

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by nick t Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 pm

i think Koscielny might get the start over Mertesacker. Per might be too slow to handle Aguero (if he starts) or Tevez. I'd like to see how Gervinho does against this kind of opponent. He was given way too much space against Southampton, and it definitely won't be the case this time.

nick t
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:03 am

it would be perfect to see Giroud get off the mark in this game. I see it being tight, but can't see a draw - they will go for the win, as will we. Hopefully no goalkeeping clangers or defensive stupidity.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohamed Samir Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 am

Probably the toughest fixture in the league, they haven't lost a home game since December 2010 so it will be very hard to win this one. As you already said Mertesacker is too slow to handle Tevez and Aguero (if he starts), but I think he will still start this game. Yaya is their best player this season so Diaby needs to be at his best or we are gonna get battered. I think it will be 2-1 for City.
Mohamed Samir
Mohamed Samir
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:46 am

As I said in the matches coming up thread I fully think we will win this one...
It will be a big test especially for the new boys but as I also said if we can turn over Liverpool at anfield then we by rights should be able to beat a downhearted man city..
Agreed we looked tired but I can fully see us gunned up for it.....

2-0 result.

@Chris I was up there a few years ago for an away game 3 days in all and there is a distinct lack in 'away pubs' most say they will let in but normally swarming with home support..

We spent the night in the hotel bar with a few other away fans....if you are just heading up for the day try calling a few of the hotels and seeing if they have any booked parties traveling by coach and wonder in...we did on the return night...

That said they do have a place called the printworks complex with bars and restaurants decent place to go just keep ya arsenal shirt under wraps and most places will let you in..
It has a Norwegian blue,nandos that kind of thing
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 am

I think we can win this one. I was talking with my dad about this (and he's been watching football since the late 50s, so I trust his opinion), and he and I agreed that there's a belief in this team that hasn't been there in a while. There's something about this team that feels right. That's all I'll say for now.

In other news, Wilshere and Frimpong are back in full training.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:57 am

I don't think Mertesacker will lose his place during this game. He has been excellent so far, besides, Koscielny hasn't played a game till now, so it would be wrong to throw him in this game. I think he will start our first Carling Cup or whatever it's name is game.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

Mertesacker hasn't done anything wrong to deserve being dropped, and having Koscielny on the bench if needed is a plus.
I'd also start Mannone. As awful as he was last season, so far this season he's done a tidy job. We can't afford for Szczesny to have one of his brainfade moments in a game this tight.
As for our chances, I'm fairly confident. The only game where we've looked vulnerable in defence is the one game Wenger hasn't been in the dugout. The Premiership games we've played, even when we haven't played well, have looked pretty solid at the back.
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm

I think whoever wins the midfield battle will win this one. Their defense has been a bit vulnerable lately, and if we manage to drag Toure up field and create space between the lines consistently, we'll create plenty of chances. And on the evidence of the season so far, we should be fairly solid at the back, unless we invite trouble ourselves. And would love to see Gervinho start through the center again. My bet: 2-1 win to the Arsenal.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm

I think we could possibly win this game depending on out finishing, if you think about it, city have rarely played well against us in recent years. We always play them off the park but sometimes our lack of clinicallity has cost us and they've snuck the win. Mancini fears our style of play and will probably play a defensive counter attacking game, that is why i think kos should possibly play over mert cause we might need the pace, problem ofcourse being kos' match fitness. Really hoping for a win though with a draw not a bad result, would be really disappointed if we lost to a weaker than last season City and us being stronger.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 pm

I was wondering, would it be better to get two draws in the next two games or a win and a defeat? I know more points > less points but was just thinking about whether it would be best for our team to keep building and adjusting to each other and maintain confidence by remaining unbeaten.

Anyway, I think we can avoid defeat at City and could even win. City have not started the season the way they would have hoped performance wise, but they still have match-winners throughout their whole team and twice went ahead at the Bernabeu, so I don't want to get too carried away. A draw would not be a bad result.

We haven't faced a team yet in the league that will take the game to us, that have the ability to control the game and also shut down our key players. Whether they manage to do that on current form, we'll see. Our players won't have the freedom they did vs Southampton that's for sure.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 am

I'm going with a 1-1.

It's not our "first real test", it's probably our toughest game of the season on paper. But we can win. We've got some belief and our squad is for the most part fit. I don't think we'll see any unenforced rotation. So:

Mannone
Jenkinson - Mert - Verm - Gibbers
Arteta - Diaby- Caz
Gervais - Djourou(d) - Poldi

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 am

Tougher than United at Old Trafford? I dont think so.

I think this will be very very tough for us.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:14 am

Compared to our other games so far, this will be a much tighter affair (obviously). I think it may be preferable to have Giroud starting, as he has good movement and could create space for others. His aerial ability is quite handy also.

Some good points about possibly Koscielny being a better fit for a game like this, but agree with most that he is unlikely to come in with no game time in his legs.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 am

well...big game is here..could be a day of crap decisions by refs as i have seen non stop in the liverpool game so far..
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 am

Sergio Aguero, Scott Sinclair and Edin Dzeko start for City and Pablo Zabaleta and Joleon Lescott come into their defence, replacing Maicon and Matija Nastasic.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by dbruce5 Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:21 am

Team

Mannone, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta (c), Diaby, Cazorla, Ramsey, Podolski, Gervinho.

Verminator ruled out through illness.

dbruce5
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:43 am

Thought the Ox would get into the team over Ramsey. Other than that no real surprises.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:45 am

totally forgot mike dean is the ref today....oh the joys...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 am

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 am

so is Cazorla playing on the wing and Ramsey in midfield in his position?? or is ramsey playing next to Arteta and diaby forward? Saw on twitter someone say poldi is listed as captain, which would be strange. Also, not worried at all about verms out, Kosielny is more than capable of filling in for him, just hope his lack of match fitness isn't a hindrance to us.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 am

I have a feeling we might see Ramsey on the wing to cover Jenkinson. Cazorla has been too good in the centre to move.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 am

i for one hopes rambo has a good game..

still sticking with 2-0 arsenal

pod and caz
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager