Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

+9
Joey Schwab
kdunn
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Steve Dawson
Chris Chan
Mike York
Michael Foster
Mario
13 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13 - Page 2 Empty Re: Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 am

He played the last ten minutes and set up their fourth goal Chris?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13 - Page 2 Empty Re: Reserves / Youth Thread 2012-13

Post by Chris Chan Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:58 am

Jenks1981 wrote:He played the last ten minutes and set up their fourth goal Chris?

I should remember he went to Wigan and not Bolton Razz

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:00 am

Ha!!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 am

Inverness hope to complete a loan deal for Arsenal youth striker Philip Roberts before Friday.

The 18-year-old is poised for a move to the Caledonian Stadium until January and could be the first of many young Gunners heading for the Highlands.

"Arsenal have agreed to let Philip sign for us until the next transfer window," said manager Terry Butcher.

"This is the beginning of a partnership that will help Arsenal's younger players gain first team experience."

Roberts joined Arsenal from Norwich City and was top scorer for the London club's Under-18's last season.

"Philip has had a look at our set-up, met the lads, and has agreed to join us. He showed good promise when training with us," Butcher added on the club website.

"The paperwork has not been completed yet but we're hopeful it will all be done in time for him to be registered before Friday's deadline."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19414280

Interesting partnership. They're in the SPL and I can only imagine under 19 players will go on loan there, and no one close to the 1st team squad like Afobe, Aneke, Yennaris etc.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:02 am

Really good though Mario, the weather and the blood and thunder of the SPL could really benefit some of the youngsters for six months, players like Toral and Bellerin would toughen up, if they need to and gain experience.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:15 am

It's a shame Rangers are no longer in the SPL because outside of Celtic you question the quality of the teams and the type of football that is played up there.

But no, it's still better for Roberts to play 6 months there rather than the under 18's. And if this loan is indicative of what is going to happen, we will probably be sending young guys who are way off being in the squad just for experience. We'll see.

Daniel Boateng has joined Oxford Utd on loan, too. He is no way good enough for Arsenal.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:16 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:It's a shame Rangers are no longer in the SPL because outside of Celtic you question the quality of the teams and the type of football that is played up there.

But no, it's still better for Roberts to play 6 months there rather than the under 18's. And if this loan is indicative of what is going to happen, we will probably be sending young guys who are way off being in the squad just for experience. We'll see.

Daniel Boateng has joined Oxford Utd on loan, too. He is no way good enough for Arsenal.

True, he isnt. We are all too faithful to these players though arent we, where else would Eastmond and Watt be playing in an U21 team with zero chance of ever breaking into our first team?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 am

Went to the NextGen game tonight. 3-0 win, very simple. Akpom up front looked handy and took his 2 goals well, also set up Yennaris for the other. Other good performers were Yennaris, Toral, and the full backs Angha and Bellerin.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

Impressive!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am

I was there too and thought we played really well. Marseille did play into our hands defensively with a high line and mental keeper, but after half an hour they closed up a bit more.

Yennaris gave us the lead and Akpom doubled it. We were all over them in the first half an hour and Akpom added a third late in the 2nd half.

Thought Yennaris was MOTM. He played in centre midfield as the most defensive player, his anticipation and positioning was very good, was always making tackles and started off moves. And of course got into the box to score. He was influential so much so that a few Marseille players took to trying to take him out.

Our team was,

Moore (emergency loan from Reading)
Bellerin - Monteiro - Hajrovic - Angha
Olsson - Yennaris - Toral
Ebecilio - Akpom - Gnabry

Moore - Literally didn't have to make a save. All he had to do was kick and make 1 or 2 punches from a set piece.

Bellerin - Went on about 3 really good offensive runs in the first half, starting a couple of them off with a nutmeg. Seems to me more comfortable going forward than backwards. A small guy, will need to beef up.

Monteiro/Hajrovic - dealt with everything that came their way. Very good performances from both.

Angha - stood out with his forward runs. Very technical player, has skills for a defender, he was unstoppable at times going forward and also had no problems doing his defensive duties.

Yennaris - My MOTM as I said. Captain's performance.

Toral - Unlike Steve, I thought he was one of our most ineffective players. Started ok, had some nice touches but then drifted out of the game. 2nd half he couldn't get back into it, gave the ball away a few times before being subbed off.

Olsson - Has a bit of Hleb about him in the way he stops and turns on a sixpence. Speaking to the mother of a Watford under-18 player last week (Alex Jakubiak), she said her son played against Arsenal a few weeks ago and she told him Olsson stood out as one of the most special players he's played against, so I tried to keep an eye on him. I can see that technically he was very good and he always wanted the ball but he tried too much, too many flicks and tricks when the simple first time ball would have sufficed. Assisted the 3rd though.

Gnabry - A very good performance. Quick, powerful (very well built, like Chamberlain) and direct. Can beat a man and generally makes the right decision. Arsenal are very high on Gnabry.

Akpom - I've seen him play for the first time last week and since then have seen him 3 times and I like what I see each time. He plays as a centre forward version of Chuks Aneke. Strong boy, good touch, has good pace and an eye for goal. Look forward in seeing him develop.

Ebecilio - quiet game in terms of impact but good movement, always threatened but never really came off. But thought he was ok.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 am

Great read thanks Mario, any reason Aneke and Eisfeld didnt feature? Are they too old?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 am

No worries and they are both 19 years old so both should be eligible. Yes they are I just checked the squad that we entered, Afobe was also registered interestingly enough, maybe if there's a quiet midweek somewhere with Bolton. They must have knocks.

http://www.nextgenseries.com/en/Clubs/Arsenal

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:13 am

This group of youngsters seem really special to me, hope its not too early to say that but some will surely make the grade here as part of the first team squad.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am

I hope so, but it's just so hard to tell. Even 1 player from each 'group' is a good return at our level.

Two players who I knew would make it from first seeing them were Wilshere and Szczesny. However, I remember thinking how special JET looked but it never worked out. A lot is what happens in these guys heads. Lansbury is another who mentally thought he made it at 17 despite never having played for the 1st team. Money and fame affects these kids.

And of course, the depth of our first team squad at the time, sometimes timing is just as important as quality. Maybe Kyle Bartley came along at the wrong time. A few years ago maybe he takes Djourou's place as the young 4th choice CB? Who knows.

But I would love to see guys like Yennaris and Aneke and Gnabry in a few years playing for the first team. But it's unlikely to have that many. But I'd sure as hell prefer these guys if they're good enough to fill up the squad places ahead of dross like Squillaci and the like.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am

One thing with JET and Lansbury, they were in a team with Jack who made everyone look better. I remember going to most of that youth cup run live and Jack was just out of this world, not just in how much more time he seemed to have on the ball than everyone else but also in how he always made the right decisions. JET and Lansbury (and a few others in that side) showed moments of quality, but there was far too much show boating and giving the ball away. Jack always had a mature footballing head on his shoulders and that shone through above all else for me

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am

How much are these kids paid when they sign professional terms? Obviously it would vary but give me an idea of an average wage for these 16 and 17 year olds when they sign?

I obviously haven't played enough Football Manager that everyone bangs on about

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

It didn't help me that the team sheet that was given out had a few numbers that were wrong. Had a hard time idenitfying the players I wasn't that familiar with.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Gread read Mario, thanks.

Keep hearing good things about Gnabry. Likely to be wrong but I even read a couple days ago that if Walcott got sold then Gnabry could be fast tracked to the first team. Even if the article was wrong though, which I'm sure it was as can't see Walcott leaving anyway, it shows he is highly rated within the club.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 am

are the next gen games televised? If so where can I find highlights?

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:12 pm

They aren't. Arsenal Player.

Or YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3xsavh9j5U&feature=youtu.be

Although I still agree with my assessment on Toral being one of our most ineffective players, having watched the highlights I admit to maybe doing him some disservice as he did make some nice one touch passes that led to good chances. But they were mostly in the first 20 minutes, game then seemed to drift him by.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:16 pm

If you watch the highlights it looks like we absolutely battered them Mario, I assume some of Marseille's attempts were not included?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26 pm

That header that was blocked/deflected wide at the end was their best chance!

We cruised the game. Most of those chances though were in the first half an hour, Marseille played a ridiculous high line and couldn't keep up with our movement and there were quite a few offsides that were touch and go. At one point their keeper at one point came flying out and 35 yards from goal, centre of the pitch, dribbled past one of our players and was fouled. But after that it settled down.

They also made 5 subs, three in the first half. They had to change something. 1 or 2 may have been to knocks but it was also an attempt to become more solid.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Conor Henderson has revealed that Arsene Wenger blocked a potential loan move before transfer deadline day, saying he wants the youngster to continue his development within the Arsenal squad.

However, the Republic of Ireland U21 international would prefer to spend time playing first team football, suggesting that reserve level isn’t enough for him at this stage of his career.

Henderson told the Irish Independent, “The manager blocked the loan because he said he wants me around the first team,” said Henderson. “This is the final season of my contract and I need to be playing. It’s a good sign for the future that the manager is protecting me, but my priority is to progress my career.

“I just hope that a move is arranged after I come back from international duty when the loan window re-opens. I’ve been at Arsenal since I was a kid but all I’ve played so far this season is reserve games in the new U-21 league.

“That’s not enough at this stage of my career. The plan is to come back from a loan spell challenging for a first-team spot. If I have to leave on a permanent basis at the end of the season, so be it.”

Henderson will be 21 in two days time and finds himself well down the midfield pecking order. He was on the fringes of the squad last summer before picking up a nasty cruciate injury but his chances of first team football with Arsenal are surely limited for this season, making it difficult to understand why Wenger insisted on keeping him.

Given his contractual status and his age, it would surely be a good thing for him to go out on loan, and allow the manager to make what will be a big decision about his long-term future.

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/09/wenger-blocked-henderson-loan-move/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+Arsenal+news+site%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I like him because his his birthday is on the same day as mine: in 2 days.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:02 am

Mike York wrote:Conor Henderson has revealed that Arsene Wenger blocked a potential loan move before transfer deadline day, saying he wants the youngster to continue his development within the Arsenal squad.

However, the Republic of Ireland U21 international would prefer to spend time playing first team football, suggesting that reserve level isn’t enough for him at this stage of his career.

I quite like Henderson for some reason, he seems to be a good player and is obviously an Arsenal boy. Can't fault him for that though as I don't see him getting many chances in our midfield at the moment
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next