Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex Song

+28
DaveToffy
Wesley Wang
pwoodman1
Greg Waters
rschalala
Chris Chan
Ashraf Peeran
Michael Schatzky
dbruce5
Darcy Gorman
JavierVen
Alan Dawson
Assan Touray
ralph avedikian
Dalgooner
Zaid Derweesh
ChippyBrady
Subrat Koirala
Mike York
Marko Maksimović
Jason Morrison
Sami Rockfeller
Dan Hakim
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Joey Schwab
Michael Foster
Jonathan Prendergast
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Alex Song Empty Alex Song

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Sergio Busquets has suggested that Alex Song would be the ideal replacement for Keita who is leaving Barcelona.

I think that would surprise many Arsenal fans who are not convinced about his ability as an accomplished DM.

I was a doubter in his early years. He seemed a jogger, and unaware of defensive danger a lot of the time.

But, these days, I am a huge fan. I love how he plays the DM, works hard, passes well, competes strongly and even covers the full backs at time. I admit he was caught out a couple of times last season (eg. QPR), but I don't think this is a systematic issue. I think it is something he can improve, and already has done so a long way, and would also be helped by playing with established quality team mates more often over time.

His assists are just a bonus.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Alex Song Empty Re: Alex Song

Post by Michael Foster Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:36 pm

I completly agree with you fella......

Song has to stay...with a new look team about to take shape his hard working ethics will be a huge bonus,left to purely concentrate on helping out the back four he can only get better..

Ps.

Fuck off barca!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 pm

I don't see Song going anywhere this season, but I really wouldn't be too upset if he leaves and we get a decent fee for him. He can obviously be a good player, but he has far too many pedestrian games to be as big for us as he should/could be.

If we are truly still interested in M'Vila (heh), and with le Coq coming through, we'll be fine.

Also, regarding his assists. Sure, they looked pretty, but if they directed at any striker besides RVP in the midst of his absurdly excellent patch of form, those wouldn't have been assists.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:52 am

Have to agree with Schwab. Don't get me wrong, I love the player and see his importance in the team, but I think he can be improved on or improve himself. Forget about his assists as it is not his primary job to provide assists or give through balls. He has been caught out of position at times this season and he still gives away silly fouls in dangerous positions. I'd much rather have the Song of 2010 who didn't go forward as much. Maybe with the arrival of Cazorla, we wouldn't need his attacking skills and he might stay at the back more (I highly doubt it, he thinks he's Zidane). And yes, I posted a link to his assists this season, any other striker and most of them wouldn't be assists. But he also had assists for Theo (also very well taken by Theo himself) and Andre Santos. Everything I wrote till now makes it look like Song is not a good player, no he is very very good, but as I said still has some way to go to be the finished article, and if he does end up going, and we do get a proper, better replacement, then I'd be happy.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 am

Songster has shown no indications that he would want to leave, no one ever says he doesnt like it here, he, more than most owes Wenger a fuck load, he has brought him on so much, I just dont see it, they will buy Spanish again like Martinez or someone similar, they wont buy Alex Song.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:04 am

I think the point is that Barcelona and their players are the absolute worst human beings in the sport. It's almost as if they are told by the club hierarchy to talk about other team's players about the possibility of joining them. This has been happening for years, and UEFA nor FIFA have reprimanded them for what is essentially tapping up. If they had any class they would say "I think he's a great player," or "it's not my place to speak about players from other clubs." Instead they say things like "We'd love to have him here," and "he'd be a great addition to the club." It doesn't matter to me how good or bad a player is, I don't want another team to encourage other players to leave their club and break their contract.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:50 pm

When we are chasing a goal and the opposition are sitting back really deep, it would be incredibly frustrating to see M'Vila passing sideways over and over, rather than Song who is willing to try for a key pass.

Last edited by Jonathan Prendergast on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Dan Hakim wrote: If they had any class they would say "I think he's a great player," or "it's not my place to speak about players from other clubs." Instead they say things like "We'd love to have him here," and "he'd be a great addition to the club." It doesn't matter to me how good or bad a player is, I don't want another team to encourage other players to leave their club and break their contract.

It's not like Busquets was even asked about Song, filthy cunt.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 pm

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/164072.html

Haha, you just gotta hand it to Cuntalunya players... First Busquets, now Iniesta. Next we'll have Xavi talking about his DNA.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:22 am

Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm a fan of Song and think he can become great. He isn't great yet but he can become great. But... if the reports are true and he is interested in leaving this summer then like Van Persie I'd say "thanks and see ya later" if we get a good enough offer. Wenger/Arsenal showed alot of faith in both of those two and they should show some back. If they don;t, I lose a lot of respect for them.

If he wants to stay then awesome. If he doesn't... I'd prefer M'Vila anyway.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 pm

As it see it, Barca are playing a game to lower the price of Javi Martinez by approaching Song simultaneously, and publicly. However, if he does go, and we get M'Vila, I won't be very disappointed as M'Vila is defensively more aware and almost as comfortable as Song on the ball.
But frankly speaking, I don't see Wenger selling his well settled midfield warrior ahead of a crucial season. We may or may not get M'Vila, but Song should stay irrespective of the M'Vila deal.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah I agree. M'Vila is more what we need in that DM role so I wouldn't be disappointed if that happened. But I think altering the team too much before a season would be risky (a lot of ins and outs of the squad already this summer).

Ben Fairthorne on Twitter is still positive we'll get M'Vila this summer. If, a big if, but if we did it'd be immense.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Why can't Barcelona players just learn to shut the fuck up? It isn't difficult.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm

If Ben Fairthorne says it, then it must be true....
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 am

ChippyBrady wrote:If Ben Fairthorne says it, then it must be true....

Never said that though, did I? Hence the "big if" part....
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 am

Mike York wrote:
ChippyBrady wrote:If Ben Fairthorne says it, then it must be true....

Never said that though, did I? Hence the "big if" part....

He's pulling your leg mate... especially after what happened.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:When we are chasing a goal and the opposition are sitting back really deep, it would be incredibly frustrating to see M'Vila passing sideways over and over, rather than Song who is willing to try for a key pass.

M'Vila's stats show that he is really good at recycling possession quickly and passing long. He's good at it, there is nothing to suggest he's a Denilson. I really want us to sign him.

Having said that, I also want Song to stay, and for us to sign Sahin. Does that overcrowd our midfield? Only temporarily. Arteta and Rosicky are the wrong side of 30, Diaby is injury prone and always will be. For 2013/2014, our midfield list will probably read (if we sign those two):

M'Vila
Song
Sahin
Wilshere
Ramsey
Cazorla
Coquelin
Diaby
Rosicky
Arteta
Frimpong?

I won't put too much emphasis on the last three for 2013/2014. That still leaves us with a lot of solid players to rotate.

In conclusion, we should get both, keep Song, and let our older players age gracefully. Oh, and sell Diaby.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 am

I couldnt see Song in any of todays training pictures, hes gone guys, gone..............Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalgooner Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:37 am

Jenks1981 wrote:I couldnt see Song in any of todays training pictures, hes gone guys, gone..............Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

8th from the right i think you'll find mate!

Dalgooner
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 am

Reports all over twitter that barca will get him. I wouldn't be very disappointed if we get M'vila as a replacement. Maybe should get Afellay in the deal too.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 am

Arsenal star Alex Song has his heart set on a move to Barcelona, according to his international team-mate Carlos Kameni.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger insists claims the midfielder wants to move to the Nou Camp have no foundation, but Malaga goalkeeper Kameni thinks otherwise.

“We were together on holiday and he said he wants to go to Barcelona,” Kameni told Portuguese newspaper Abola.

“Everyone wants to play for Barcelona. Song would fit right in at Barcelona. He has all the qualities to play there.

“He is like Yaya Toure, but with more responsibility. He’s doing well. He works hard and is the complete player.”

SOURCE: talkSPORT

Arsenal could be facing the unhappy prospect of seeing another key player demand an exit this summer.

Boss Arsene Wenger says that there has been no contract from Barcelona for Song and, just as importantly, the player confirmed on Monday he is happy at Arsenal.

But judging by Carlos Kameni’s comments above, Song is keen to leave the Emirates this summer and join former teammate Cesc Fabregas at Barcelona.

The news will come as blow to Wenger, who is already facing the loss of captain Robin van Persie but the situations are very different.

Song has three years remaining on his current deal at the Emirates and Arsenal can either refuse to sell or demand top dollar for the 24-year-old if he does ask for a transfer.

Wenger knows that no player is bigger than the club and the master tactician may even be able to use the situation to his advantage.

The Gunners are reportedly in pole positon to land Real Madrid midfielder on a season-long loan and if the deal goes through and Song leaves for big-money, Wenger will have a ready-made replacement in the bag and money to spend to strengthen the squad elsewhere.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/14/arsenal-midfielder-alex-song-wants-barcelona-switch-claims-teammate/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 am

ralph avedikian wrote:Reports all over twitter that barca will get him. I wouldn't be very disappointed if we get M'vila as a replacement. Maybe should get Afellay in the deal too.

If Song moving meant we got M'Vila then I'd prefer we got M'Vila. I'd be worried if we lost him and didn't replace him.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Assan Touray Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:04 am

Mike York wrote:
“He is like Yaya Toure, but with more responsibility. He’s doing well. He works hard and is the complete player.”[/b]

Bahaha. I understand Kameni saying that because Song is his teammate and what not, but come on. I like Song, but he is far from the complete player and no where as good as Yaya.
Assan Touray
Assan Touray
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am

Assan Touray wrote:
Mike York wrote:
“He is like Yaya Toure, but with more responsibility. He’s doing well. He works hard and is the complete player.”[/b]

Bahaha. I understand Kameni saying that because Song is his teammate and what not, but come on. I like Song, but he is far from the complete player and no where as good as Yaya.

Song has come so far in 3 years, and is only 24. It's hard to compare, but was Yaya as good at 24 years old?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next