Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theo Walcott

+23
Vijay Saibola
Chris Chan
Jason Morrison
Meshaal
Ashraf Peeran
Darcy Gorman
Hisham El Mawan
Mike York
Steve Dawson
chris eades
pwoodman1
Michael Schatzky
Michael Foster
Jenks1981
Joey Schwab
Zaid Derweesh
Aseem Bajpai
ahrstic
kdunn
John Foxall
Vanig Bostanian
Sami Rockfeller
Jonathan Prendergast
27 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Theo Walcott - Page 2 Empty Re: Theo Walcott

Post by pwoodman1 Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:52 pm

There nothing wrong with him having ambitions to play in the role that he played when he signed for us. The over inflated opinion if him comes from the media not himself due to the whole world cup nonsense and him signing for us at a young age and of course being English, All the interviews I've ever seen with Theo he seems a very humble young man no where near the Bendtner end of the arrogance scale.

He had a decent season last year created a lot and scored a good amount arguable a lot better than Gervinho yet Gervinho is given the opportunity to exactly what The wants to do, I'd be a bit annoyed to.

The ball that Ramsey played to Gervinho on sunday where his first touch was over hit are the types of ball Theos pace would thrive on (in a similar way Micheal Owen used to), I think he should be given a chance to prove what he's saying

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:03 pm

pwoodman1 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19707348

Theo says it's not about the money and it's about playing as a striker, Can he be any worse than Gervinho was yesterday? I'd like to see him given the chance

It has nothing to do with him wanting to play central and everything to do with money. He isn't dumb, he knows he can not play as a lone striker in our system and he also knows we wont change our entire system just for him.

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 am

"There nothing wrong with him having ambitions to play in the role that he played when he signed for us."

He may well have played up front for Southampton but not on his own (as he would be required to in our system) and not as a genuine striker. I remember him as more or a kick-and-rush counter-attacking left winger for Soton. He scored some brilliant goals and looked quite a natural, but at that level I suppose it was easier for him.

"The over inflated opinion if him comes from the media not himself due to the whole world cup nonsense and him signing for us at a young age and of course being English, All the interviews I've ever seen with Theo he seems a very humble young man no where near the Bendtner end of the arrogance scale."

In fairness Bendtner is a tool, so you'd hope he's not like Bendtner. But I do think he's got a bit ahead of himself. He doesn't seem to realise how little he has achieved in his short career so far. Criticising the England manager and making an ultimatum to his club? Cheers kid. I think he clearly has a high opinion of himself.

"He had a decent season last year created a lot and scored a good amount arguable a lot better than Gervinho yet Gervinho is given the opportunity to exactly what The wants to do, I'd be a bit annoyed to."

I agree, a couple of decent seasons under his belt. But not very good let alone outstanding seasons. He had good seasons in 09/10 and 10/11 when Cesc was using him well and basically instructing him how to play the game. But I don't think he has continually improved. If we justified Clichy's transfer by pointing out that he failed to improve overall/stagnated, then surely the same can be said for Walcott. Above all, it's obvious that we could survive without him.

"The ball that Ramsey played to Gervinho on sunday where his first touch was over hit are the types of ball Theos pace would thrive on (in a similar way Micheal Owen used to), I think he should be given a chance to prove what he's saying "

That's true, but then again a) there were other chances that Gervinho created for himself that Theo wouldn't have been able to and b) why wouldn't want a Michael Owen player playing as our lone striker. Although I agree that Gervinho's finishing was dreadful, I don't think people have realised just how many difficulties he created for Man City's defence. He may be a muppet but he's a livewire muppet. I can partly see the logic of Wenger putting him there. Especially as having a static no.9 up against Kompany and co was never going to achieve much. Is Theo instinctive? Does he work hard enough? I think he's been pampered for too long now. Another club is stupid enough to buy him, so let's ditch him at Christmas.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 am

Not to mention that he can't play well without Sagna

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:42 am

John Foxall wrote:Theo's finishing is hardly reliable though, and just in terms of ability to make things happen he's way behind Gervinho.

An inflated opinion of himself from a young age doesn't do him any good. Needed to shut up and work harder.

To be fair on Theo I have always thought his finishing when in and around the area has been quite good...
When playing out on the wing I look at it sometimes as when he beats his men on route its almost like his brain has not caught up with where his body is when confronted with the goal he almost every time stops as if it's 'right got here now spend those precious seconds gathering my thoughts before trying to do the next thing ie...shoot'

There's very rearly times when the full flight is all the way to goal and netting....guarantee 9 out of 10 runs will involve him beating his men and slowing up if to look for a killer pass or attempt a goal chance...he is told its his place to be out on the wing therefore assist the other front men and I don't think he has really got this in his game...ok he over the last couple of seasons his assists have been 11 for last and 10 for the season before as where as going back to season's before that his would be on average 4...it's taken him 6 years with an average 34 games a season to finally get to a decent ratio for assist and goals 220 games to be exact to be molded into a winger something he never wanted to nor asked to be...in his first season at Southampton he played as a striker and I think it was one game out on the wing a total of 23 games where he netted 5 and assisted 2 and most of those games he came on as a sub i followed this lad coming through at Southampton as I had a saint housemate and watched almost every game with him and Theo for his age up front was devastating he scored an absolute gem against Portsmouth from picking up the ball 10 yards from the half way and ran straight through the heart of the defence defender infront side stepped him and smashed one past the keeper.....scored quite a decent goal against us in a youth game too.....a lot of the balls theo thrived on where cheeky lofted passes over the top that dropped at his feet and it was route one for him not to much to think about just him and the keeper....and a lot of the time he came out with a corner or a goal....

I have always thought that moving him out on the wing would fuck up his ability and to be honest i think it has....
He should have a slot waiting for him upfront in the Coventry game...after him speaking about it to most of the media Wenger might just give him a shout for it....and not just a 30 min run but a full 90 mins see if he can take it by the bollocks and prove everybody wrong that it his place and he is willing to go for it...still only 20 odd....he could soon pick up where he left off...if he can forget the idea of having to think about how many and what route he has to take to goal and just be at the end of it for a change just think about beating the keeper he could yet still do wonders for himself and the club....

Anyway....in a nut shell with giroud not netting yet and Theo wanting to have a dig at playing striker why not have them both on for the Coventry game....If it comes up trumps...bonus...if not,well....it just better come as theo's game will prob take a bit of a knock and it all completly back fire for him....

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 am

kdunn wrote:
pwoodman1 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19707348

Theo says it's not about the money and it's about playing as a striker, Can he be any worse than Gervinho was yesterday? I'd like to see him given the chance

It has nothing to do with him wanting to play central and everything to do with money. He isn't dumb, he knows he can not play as a lone striker in our system and he also knows we wont change our entire system just for him.

Agree. If he leaves, and goes to Chelsea or City, it will obviously be fore money, as they won't play him up front.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 pm

He'd probably go to Liverpool if he really cares about playing up front. Which is fine by me.

Who would replace him? I would love it to be Gotze (ha!), I imagine it'll be Gnabry.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by chris eades Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:04 am

chris eades
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 am

'If ya don't sign you'll be stuck on the bench, listening to Frimpong chat about Dench!'

LOL!!! Love it!

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 am

Matt Le Tissier believes Theo Walcott should leave Arsenal because he doesn’t suit their style of play.

Walcott joined The Gunners from Championship side Southampton in January 2006 as a 16-year-old, but has been plying his trade out on the wing, rather than in his favoured role as a centre-forward since.

And with his contract set to expire in the summer and a host of clubs expressing their interest in the England international, Le Tissier reckons Walcott’s best chance of playing up-front is by leaving The Emirates and join a club whose manager believes in his ability to succeed as a centre-forward:

‘I’ve never really thought that the way Arsenal play football suited the way that Theo plays football – I don’t think he was ever suited to Arsene Wenger’s style of play.’

‘It wouldn’t surprise me if he moved and you may find that it actually does him good if he went to a club that played to his strengths.

Walcott has scored 10 goals in all competitions so far this season. But despite his productivity, Wenger still refuses to play the speedy forward as the lone striker.

And Le Tissier reckons Walcott would turn out better performances up-front:

‘There was obviously a lot of expectation on him as a young boy but I always envisaged him playing as a centre-forward and thought it would only be a matter of time before he did.

‘It doesn’t seem to have panned out that way and Arsene Wenger obviously doesn’t think he can play in that position because he would have given him a go before now.’

He added:

‘When he has played there he has looked a million dollars, but he’s a stubborn man is Mr. Wenger, and when he has made up his mind he doesn’t often change it.’

If Walcott does decide to call time on his Arsenal career the Le Tissier firmly believes he must join a club which plays a more counter-attacking style and deploy him in the position he desires:

‘(If Walcott does leave) I think that the most important thing is not which club he’s going to go to but which position they’ll play him in.’

‘A club that will play him as a centre-forward and maybe plays a more counter-attacking style that allows him to use his pace more – that’s the most important thing.’

I don’t necessarily think Walcott doesn’t suit our style of play as Le Tissier suggests, I just think Wenger plays him in a position he’s not really effective in. Walcott is an inconsistent performer but he obviously isn’t enjoying his role as a winger, hence his plea(s) to play as a centre-forward. And with his pace he should be given a chance up-front and prove to Wenger and us he is capable of filling that Dutchman’s boots.

But if Wenger continues to ignore Walcott’s comments then he has every right to leave the club. I wouldn’t begrudge of that. Why should he continue plying his trade as a winger when he’s a centre-forward? It just doesn’t make sense.

http://gunnersphere.com/2012/12/view-from-the-sphere/le-tissier-reckons-walcott-doesnt-suit-arsenals-style-of-play-is-he-right
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:25 pm

All the more reason for us to play a 4-4-2 now, or a 4-3-1-2. Imagine this:

---------------SZCZESNY-----------------
SAGNA--MERTESACKER--VERMAELEN--GIBBS
----RAMSEY-----ARTETA-----WILSHERE----
----------------CAZORLA------------------
--------WALCOTT------GIROUD------------

I personally think this would be more effective than what we have going now, and it would satisfy Theo's requests.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Hisham El Mawan wrote:All the more reason for us to play a 4-4-2 now, or a 4-3-1-2. Imagine this:

---------------SZCZESNY-----------------
SAGNA--MERTESACKER--VERMAELEN--GIBBS
----RAMSEY-----ARTETA-----WILSHERE----
----------------CAZORLA------------------
--------WALCOTT------GIROUD------------

I personally think this would be more effective than what we have going now, and it would satisfy Theo's requests.

Swap Ramsey for Rosicky and that is a strong midfield in my opinion. 4 players who are all capable of playing just in behind the strikers, so you would hope our creativity would improve. We would also have 3 guys who are relatively disciplined positionally and can stick a tackle to help shield the back 5. It looks nice and fluent, although maybe a touch small?

I would like to see it given a shot anyway, but I just don't know whether Arsene will get that crazy.

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 am

Teams would kill us down the wings.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am

Theo Walcott owes us after Arsenal gambled on him, says Arsène Wenger

Manager claims 23-year-old must repay loyalty shown in him and stay at Arsenal

Arsène Wenger said yesterday that Theo Walcott owes Arsenal a debt after the club took a "gamble" on him.

Arsenal spent £5m on the 16-year-old Walcott from Southampton in 2006 and he has made 238 appearances for them. As negotiations over a new contract drag on, Wenger said that Walcott owes them for giving him a chance ahead of more experienced players, weakening the team in the process.

"I believe what is important to keep the young players together is that at some stage I have stood up for them," Wenger said yesterday. "'I played you at 17, 18, 19 years of age and I know I took a gamble.' It is easier to take a player of 25 and put him in the team. You know what you are getting."

"If you put them in at 17 or 18, you have to stand up for them. You know you risk losing games while they are learning their job. Once you have produced them, you want to say, 'Okay, let's stay together and win together.'"

Having invested in the future by picking Walcott for years, Wenger believes Arsenal are entitled to a return on that in the form of loyalty. "I am happy to pay Theo the money he deserves," Wenger said. "But I feel as well that I bought him at 17 years of age and spent a lot of money on him. I am a big supporter and I believe he is happy here. He has always looked to me like he is an Arsenal man."

"Somewhere along the line they need to give back to the club what the club has given to them. After when a guy gets to 30, you can understand it is his last contract and if he feels he wants a change, I can understand that. This is a more sensitive age, but basically, it is a reward for our policy."

Wenger was speaking the day after the confirmation that five of the Arsenal's young British players, including Jack Wilshere, had signed new contracts. Wenger believes that after losing several key foreign players, he will have more chance of keeping a British generation.

"When [Cesc] Fabregas says to me, 'I want to go back to Barcelona,' it is difficult for me to say, 'No, why should you?' He is from Barcelona. He has been educated there. In that sense it is easier with the English players. They feel at home."

Robin van Persie, though, left Arsenal without returning home. He went to Manchester United instead. But Wenger said that was the ambition of an older player, and Walcott's case was different: "[Van Persie] was 29. Theo is 23. I believe it is important we keep him."

Alisher Usmanov, who has a stake of just under 30 per cent in Arsenal but is not on the club's board yesterday said that Wenger had not had enough support from the directors.

The Uzbek billionaire questioned Arsenal's financial strategy in a television interview with CNBC. "For example, on the commercial side, I think there are also many questions about the effectiveness of the commercial management of Arsenal," he said.

"Mr Wenger is one of the best coaches in the world. During the last five years he hasn't had enough support to provide his conceptions of his game from the board. This decision [selling Van Persie] was a mistake. If I was one of Wenger's players I would want to stay for the finish, but he explained Robin wanted to go to win trophies."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/theo-walcott-owes-us-after-arsenal-gambled-on-him-says-arsne-wenger-8428087.html
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashraf Peeran Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 am

I've always felt that this is what hurt Wenger the most. The fact that he kept faith in players when others were against them, and moulded them into who they are today, and then things get rough and they show Wenger the finger and fuck off. Arsene showed almost 7 years of patience with van persie's injuries, then he has one great season proving Wenger's faith correct and fucks off to United? When players show a lack of gratitude, that for me is the biggest shame.
Ashraf Peeran
Ashraf Peeran
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Off the top of my head, a list of players who let Wenger down:

Jose Antonio Reyes
Flamini
Adebayor
Gallas
Hleb
Fabregas
Nasri
Song
Arshavin
van Persie

Quite a formidable list. Walcott is next?

Instances where Wenger let the fans / club down:

Eboue'
Denilson
Bendtner

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Gervinho? chamakh? Silvestre? Squillaci?
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:12 am

Not forgetting Ashley cunt...sorry cole......

Biggest wanker of the lot....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:17 am

Ashraf Peeran wrote:I've always felt that this is what hurt Wenger the most. The fact that he kept faith in players when others were against them, and moulded them into who they are today, and then things get rough and they show Wenger the finger and fuck off. Arsene showed almost 7 years of patience with van persie's injuries, then he has one great season proving Wenger's faith correct and fucks off to United? When players show a lack of gratitude, that for me is the biggest shame.

I think with players like Adebayor, Toure, Petit, Overmars, Clichy and Henry, Wenger had no issue with it. He was playing the game.

I think Nasri and Cesc really hurt him. By the time the RVP saga rolled on, he was pretty accepting of lack of loyalty.

It's a shame as you say, but I think the club and Wenger have to realistic and not rely on goodwill.

Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Schatzky Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Part of me wants us to re-sign Theo for the same reasons I thought it was great those 5 youngsters signed- continuity, known entity, squad stability.
But the money he's asking for, considering his limited skill set, is ludicrous. Granted it would cost us that much and more in transfer fees to try to replace him.
But here is another area we can't compete with Chelseas, Citys etc. They can afford to overpay a one dimensional player and bring him on at 65mins as a supersub. We can't .
If we are going to pay a player that much, 100k + a week ,he better know how to do many things well, and Theo doesn't.
Clock is ticking . He is 23 and has been playing elite level football for many years now. How much more can he improve ? Have we not reached a ceiling regarding his development? He can still basically only run fast and shoot well.
Against Wigan he did alright, but not great. One game only, but...
His movement off the ball was poor, his first touch was not instinctive /poacher-esque, he didn't do well with his back to goal. These are all primary qualities of a centre-forward.
But now watch him leave us, sign for a club that counterattacks, and score 20 a year..

Last edited by Michael Schatzky on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speling)

Michael Schatzky
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 am

I have always tried to not be cynical.

But players do perform better when there is a contract negotiation.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:I have always tried to not be cynical.

Agree completely.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:I have always tried to not be cynical.

I am not sure that Theo would necessarily do the dirty on the contract if he resigned and start slipping back into useless mode....
It would not benifit him one bit...could be shipped out in the next window....

If Theo loves us as much as he does give him the contract....he has started to shine...and if in the long run he slips ship him out...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 am

Walcott is definately leaving, its my gut feeling and has been for a long time.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:48 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Walcott is definately leaving, its my gut feeling and has been for a long time.

I hate to be negative on this one, but if he hasn't signed an extension by now it's probably not going to happen.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next