Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jan Vertonghen

+20
Gopi
Michael Foster
Subrat Koirala
Chris Chan
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Adam Sisson
DaveToffy
Joey Schwab
Vanig Bostanian
eyal.peer
Mike York
ralph avedikian
Ashraf Peeran
vyom.chaudhary
Sami Rockfeller
Meshaal
Jenks1981
Wesley Wang
Jonathan Prendergast
Samritpal Singh
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Jan Vertonghen - Page 4 Empty Re: Jan Vertonghen

Post by Samritpal Singh Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm

What a bitch. The whole of the season he was banging on about how he love Arsenal and would like to play for us bla bla bla.. We even bid for him and now this.

Meh. Fuck it.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 pm

We don't need Vertonghen anyway. Where would we play him? It'd be nice to have another excellent defender, but that'd give us 4, plus Djourou and hopefully Bartley. Organization and coaching is more important.

With M'Vila - if it happens, our midfield looks quite good. M'Vila - Song - Wilshere will probably be first choice. Then you have Arteta, Ramsey, Diaby(?), Rosicky, Frimpong, Coquelin all ready to play. I'd like an extra attacking midfielder but it may not be necessary. I don't think we'd sign one, at least not until later in the summer when we've moved some players on, because it's not a priority.

I do think Hoilett is a distinct possibility though.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue May 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Samritpal Singh wrote:

What a bitch. The whole of the season he was banging on about how he love Arsenal and would like to play for us bla bla bla.. We even bid for him and now this.

Meh. Fuck it.

We never bid for him. Only Spurs have approached him.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Sami Rockfeller wrote:
Samritpal Singh wrote:

Meh. Fuck it.

We actually did first. Spurs came later. Both fees agreed.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Schatzky Tue May 08, 2012 11:10 pm

It might have come down to guaranteed playing time or something.
I can't see Vertonghen displacing Koscielny or Vermaelen in Wenger's preferred starting duo.
He would be competing for minutes with Mertesacker who we just signed. Behind him is Djourou and Miquel, with Kyle Bartley in the mix as well. Hopefully Squillaci is cut loose.
If we are signing M'Vila then there is no point in signing Vertonghen as a potential OOP defensive mid. Maybe we were hedging on him if the M'Vila deal wasn't going to happen
At Spurs I could see him partnering Kaboul as a starter , with Dawson stepping back. Gallas and King will be cut loose and Caulker will come back from Swansea to round out their top 4 .

Michael Schatzky
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue May 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Samritpal Singh wrote:
Sami Rockfeller wrote:
Samritpal Singh wrote:

Meh. Fuck it.

The Dutch media seems to think otherwise. Besides no reliable sources have ever mentioned us bidding, baseless conjecture.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by vyom.chaudhary Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 pm

dont mind him not coming to us.
bt like him as a player and dont want him to go to spuds either.

vyom.chaudhary
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed May 09, 2012 12:59 am

I'd like to see 4 center backs of similar quality rotates throughout the season based on opposition and tactics. It won't happen for us, but it'd be good. With a long preseason, it'd give them time to develop understandings as well.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 am

Expect it to change if spurs don't get into Europe...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 am

Samritpal Singh wrote:
Sami Rockfeller wrote:
Samritpal Singh wrote:

Meh. Fuck it.

where is the proof? some dude said it on twitter is in no way proof. If we were seriously in for him vs spurs we would have got him, simple as that

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Not getting him is fine for me because he wasn't a necessity, maybe we weren't in for him anyway, but I surely hope something happens and Spurs or any other PL don't get him. Let him go to Italy or Spain.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Of course, unless he's totally shit and makes as laugh at whoever gets him.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed May 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Zaid Derweesh wrote:I'd like to see 4 center backs of similar quality rotates throughout the season based on opposition and tactics. It won't happen for us, but it'd be good. With a long preseason, it'd give them time to develop understandings as well.

Centre Backs arent an area I think our team needs to see regular rotation for me. We have had the back four disrupted enough this season and its led to some shocking performances. I think consistency in that position and the Goalkeeper are the most important areas, lets face it we have three good defenders in Koscielny, Vermaelen and Mertesacker. Mertesacker should be better in his second season in the league and should push the other two for starts.

I think at some point we have to realise we arent going to have a Summer where we sign 4 or 5 players for the first team again, I just dont see it with the squad numbers and the amount of players we have to move on. We wanted a genuine backup for VP and we have it in Podolski, who can also play wide if we stick with this formation (which im not convinced works for us as well as others might). Thats fantastic news and we should be very very happy with him. For me, the next priority is for a true shield in front of our sometimes vulnerable back four, the rumours about M'Villa excite me and he would walk into our starting 11 week in week out for me, yes at the expense of someone already here. He is that good, so I dont care about Vertonghen until M'Villa is in the bag, if that happens next season is going to be bloody exciting. I think our squad looks good if he comes in.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 pm

I agree with you 100%. Injuries and stuff have hurt us. It'd be nice if we could rotate the defence, as Man Utd tend to do for example, but it doesn't seem to work with us.

About the signings, yeah. Podolski and M'Vila (fingers crossed) - if that's ALL we sign - would be significant and very good business. Not sufficient in my eyes because we need a goalkeeper, but certainly great. A defender doesn't figure high on our priorities: we've got 3 very good players and Djourou isn't bad with the right partner and on his day. Vertonghen would've been nice, but he was never necessary.

I'll also guess that we won't sign someone in the Ramsicky position this summer. There may be players like Kagawa available but it won't happen. We're gonna wait a year for Gotze. Wenger likes him too much to settle, it seems. I do think we may pick up a free transfer this summer, Hoillett perhaps.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 am

Zaid if we buy M'Villa and carry on playing the style that we are there are only 2 spaces available for Arteta, Song, Wilshire, Ramsey, Diaby to fill. As I think M'Villa would be an automatic pick, because we simply have to have an anchor, Song isnt one and shouldnt be thought of as one either anymore.

I also think that Utd have had to rotate the CB's and that its not through choice, their best defender in Vidic has been out all year, im sure if they were fit that Ferdinand or Evans would have partnered him for the bulk of the campaign. Smalling and Jones arent good enough yet, although they will be good.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Thu May 10, 2012 1:11 am

Ye, we don't need Vertonghen. Always thought he'd be in excess to our needs. Don't know why some fans are disappointed that we're not signing him.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sat May 12, 2012 11:39 am

I have only seen Vertonghen a couple of times am I am basing this off of those performances, so welcome correction from someone who regularly watches the Eredivisie or Belgium, but to me, Vertonghen might not be the right man for us not because we don't need to improve defensively but ironically because we do. Vertonghen is a bit of a Vermaelen mk. II, ie someone who is more interested in going forward than defending. I'd rather we had a defender who bloody loves heading the shit out of crosses or organising his team mates.

In earnest I wouldn't be too disappointed if we started next season with TV, Per, Kos, Djourou & Bartley as our centre backs. But I kinda think we shoul sell Djourou because he's bad.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum