Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal vs Wigan Match Thread

+19
Justin Chew
Hisham El Mawan
Elisabeth Studentschnig
Jason Morrison
vyom.chaudhary
Jonathan Prendergast
Sami Rockfeller
Marko Maksimović
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Zaid Derweesh
ralph avedikian
Steve Dawson
Chris Chan
Vanig Bostanian
Jenson Pais
Subrat Koirala
Jenks1981
Michael Foster
Mario
23 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Arsenal vs Wigan Match Thread Empty Arsenal vs Wigan Match Thread

Post by Mario Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Next up is Wigan on Monday night and another really good chance to create a bigger gap between ourselves and Tottenham/Chelsea who are involved in the FA Cup this weekend. A month ago I would have seen this game as a pretty comfortable home win but Wigan have picked up their form in the last month and must be treated with respect.

Wigan's Last 6 Games:

Draw - Norwich City (A) 1-1
Draw - West Brom (H) 1-1
Win - Liverpool (A) 2-1
Win - Stoke City (H) 2-0
Lost/Robbed - Chelsea (A) 1-2
Win - Man Utd (H) 1-0

Wigan Key Men

Al-Habsi
:
Prone to a lapse in concentration but is a very good shot stopper who has made a habit of pulling out some very important saves in the last couple of seasons, including a few from the penalty spot.

Victor Moses:
Starting to show some of that form that made him a highly touted prospect in his Palace days. Quick, direct, strong. Has an eye for goal but not the greatest of finishers but will look to run at our defence and try and get in behind them all day.

Match Stats

- Arsenal have scored 19 goals in their last six league meetings with Wigan (3.16 per game).

- The Gunners have won 10 of their 13 PL meetings with the Latics (D2 L1).

- Arsenal have won all nine matches at home to Wigan in all competitions, keeping a clean sheet in each of the last six.

- The Latics are the only Premier League side to have played at least five times at Arsenal but never taken a point there (W0 D0 L6).

- Arsene Wenger's men have won their last five league games at home, and have lost only one of their last 15 (W12 D2).

- Arsenal have not won six in a row at home in the league since the start of October 2009.

- Wigan have only lost one of their last four league matches on the road (W2 D1): 1-2 at Chelsea.

- To date, Manchester United are the only side against whom Robin van Persie has scored in two different league matches this season.

- All but three of Arsenal's 35 league goals at home this season have come from open play (two direct free kicks and one goal from a corner).

- Robin van Persie has scored or assisted 59 goals in his last 50 Premier League appearances.

Every game is important now but our home matches even more so. We have 3 home matches left and 3 wins is what we should be aiming for. You're never sure what to expect from us away from home, despite our recent good form, so can't afford to be messing up at home with the finish line almost in sight. Need to approach this game with the same intensity as other recent home games and if possible, put the game to bed early before the Chelsea game. But I have a feeling that won't be the case with this fighting Wigan team who will be pretty happy for a draw, especially after that crucial win over Man Utd.

Team news:

on any new injuries...
From the Wolves game, no. We have the usual bumps and bruises after a game of that intensity, but overall no I don't think anybody has a problem.

on Gibbs…
There is a possibility for Gibbs [to play against Wigan]. It is 50:50 that he will be available again. He is improving day to day and has been practising but not with the team.

on Gervinho...
Gervinho is a strong possibility to face Wigan, he is 80:20.

on Diaby and Coquelin...
Diaby will not play against Wigan. He is alright though. Diaby and Coquelin will come back into the squad next week for full training.

I wouldn't risk Gibbs if he was anything other than fully fit but if by Monday he is ok, I'd bring him in for Santos and would probably go with Benayoun again as he hasn't done anything to be dropped. Benayoun will be ineligible for Chelsea so Gervinho could return for that game. Rosicky in for Ramsey.

Szczesny
Sagna Djourou Vermaelen Gibbs
Song Arteta Rosicky
Walcott RVP Benayoun

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Arsenal vs Wigan Match Thread Empty Re: Arsenal vs Wigan Match Thread

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Agreed with ya team there would change one thing...give gervinho a run in this game as said Benny won't feature so a 45 slot for ger will be a good idea...

Will love to see us increase our gap to 8 points and truly start to pull away...

Who would have thought it after 10 games at the start of the season 8 points clear in third...

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:00 pm

I didn't think we would be within 8 points of third never mind where we are now. Wonderful turnaround.

But... let's not forget that, a) we haven't won yet and complacency must not set in and b) Newcastle! Have a home game against Stoke and they will probably be closing the gap to 2 points before we play.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I think it would be stupid to drop Benayoun after two solid performances and a goal in his last match, unless he is fatigued. I would hope to see Rosicky back for Ramsey and like Mario said I wouldnt risk Gibbs if he is only 50:50.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Whilst there are clearly a genuine threat to us, im loving Newcastle this season, as they are now an even bigger threat to Spurs and Chelsea, both of them must be really shitting themselves right now.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:Whilst there are clearly a genuine threat to us, im loving Newcastle this season, as they are now an even bigger threat to Spurs and Chelsea, both of them must be really shitting themselves right now.

One of my friends is an absolute die hard Geordie he has done nothing but give his mates shit about them looking better than spurs and chelsea...hahahaha
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm

To think of how Newcastle got relegated and back in the premier league in a very short time, and to be challenging for the 4th spot, massive respect from my side.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:I think it would be stupid to drop Benayoun after two solid performances and a goal in his last match, unless he is fatigued. I would hope to see Rosicky back for Ramsey and like Mario said I wouldnt risk Gibbs if he is only 50:50.

Also Benny won't be playing against Chelsea. So we are better off playing him against Wigan for the majority of the 90 minutes. Ramsey to continue through the middle and to be replaced by Rosicky. Wenger might just play Rozza but me thinks he will rest him for Chelsea.

Wigan will be brimming with confidence after beating Manchester United. I hope we aren't complacent and go out all cylinders firing. We need all 3 points in the bag before we face Chelsea at home.
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:41 pm

He was just rested against Wolves, how much rest do you think a professional athlete needs?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:27 am

Rosicky must play. He has a week or so to rest for the Chelsea game. Benayoun has played very well recently and should get the start. However, he is ineligible to play against Chelsea and Gervinho won't be 100% sharp for the Chelsea game so I would be tempted to bring on The Ox after the 60th minute. To keep him fresh and sharp. I think he can do a good job against Chelsea considering that we are playing at home. The rest of the team picks itself up.
On a side note, I'd love it if both Chelsea and Spurs don't make it to the CL. Hilarious

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:... b) Newcastle! Have a home game against Stoke and they will probably be closing the gap to 2 points before we play.

So Newcastle aren't playing this weekend either (they were scheduled to play Chelsea) so we do in fact have a chance to create an 8 point gap between them, as well.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:42 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:
Mario Leontiou wrote:... b) Newcastle! Have a home game against Stoke and they will probably be closing the gap to 2 points before we play.

So Newcastle aren't playing this weekend either (they were scheduled to play Chelsea) so we do in fact have a chance to create an 8 point gap between them, as well.

We will put some daylight between us and the rest of the pack hunting for 4th place. It will put a lot of pressure on Chelsea and Spurs as they know there will be only one CL spot left !!

If we win this( fingers crossed ) , then we need just 2 draws against Chelsea and Stoke and 2 wins then we will have secured 3rd place cheers
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:47 am

Jenson Pais wrote:
Mario Leontiou wrote:

We will put some daylight between us and the rest of the pack hunting for 4th place. It will put a lot of pressure on Chelsea and Spurs as they know there will be only one CL spot left !!

If we win this( fingers crossed ) , then we need just 2 draws against Chelsea and Stoke and 2 wins then we will have secured 3rd place cheers
We will beat Chelsea 3-1 or 4-1. Trust me!

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Seems like every game is a 'must win', but Wenger did say a while ago that all our games are like cup finals. We must take the opportunity to gain ground on our rivals wherever possible and this is no exception.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Didn't realise this was a Monday game. Won't be able to watch this as I'm going out Monday night. Bugger. Sad

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Wigan will park the bus and defend for their lives, so I can't see a hammering.

2-0.. RVP and Vermaelen.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Steve Dawson wrote:Didn't realise this was a Monday game. Won't be able to watch this as I'm going out Monday night. Bugger. Sad
Last time I didn't go out (with a super hot girl) because there was an Arsenal game, we ended up playing like absolute shit against QPR. And the the other time I missed my friend's very first seminar, we ended up losing 2-1 to the Scum.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Wigan beat Liverpool, Stoke and Man Utd, and should've beaten Chelsea. Lets not take them for granted.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:36 pm

At home we should win, regardless of Wigan's form.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 am

Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:At home we should win, regardless of Wigan's form.

I'm weary of this mentality... Yes we're at home, yes we're in form but still, we've underestimated teams in the past at our own peril... and demise in some cases... ahem, when Wigan beat us 3-2 (albeight away from home).
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:11 am

MarkoMaksimovic wrote:

I'm weary of this mentality... Yes we're at home, yes we're in form but still, we've underestimated teams in the past at our own peril... and demise in some cases... ahem, when Wigan beat us 3-2 (albeight away from home).

It's not complacency and I'm not underestimating them, it's just what I would expect from the ability we possess. We should be beating teams like Wigan at the Emirates. Besides, what I expect is absolutely irrelevant to how the players perform. It's not as if Rosicky is going to come on here, read what I've posted and say 'ah, looks like I'm not going to have to bother too much on Monday, the points are in the bag'.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:30 am

Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:
MarkoMaksimovic wrote:

It's not complacency and I'm not underestimating them, it's just what I would expect from the ability we possess. We should be beating teams like Wigan at the Emirates. Besides, what I expect is absolutely irrelevant to how the players perform. It's not as if Rosicky is going to come on here, read what I've posted and say 'ah, looks like I'm not going to have to bother too much on Monday, the points are in the bag'.
imagine if players did infact come here. I'd definitely ask Rosicky the secret behind his silky sexy hair.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:05 am

MarkoMaksimovic wrote:

What mentality? Regardless of the opposition, we should always look to take all three points from home games. We're not going to win trophies thinking that the opposition team is in a hot streak and we should be happy with a draw.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 am

We should win whatever their form. In fact, we should put in absolutely 100% effort, whatever their form. We should not take them for granted, whatever their form. But we should win, whatever their form.

All agreed? Smile

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 am

I also think Alex's complacency may cost us in this game..
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next