Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League

+8
Assan Touray
Liam Bermingham
Vanig Bostanian
Mario
ralph avedikian
Chris Chan
Jason Morrison
Hisham El Mawan
12 posters

Go down

Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League Empty Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League

Post by Hisham El Mawan Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:30 pm

I ran across this article just now: http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/top-5-african-premier-league-players

It lists the top five African players to appear in the EPL, but I feel like a few names have been forgotten.

I'll list my top 10:

1) Didier Drogba
2) Michael Essien
3) Kolo Toure
4) Nwanko Kanu
5) Emmanuel Adebayor
6) Jay-Jay Okocha
7) Ayegbeni Yakubu
Cool Geremi Njitap
9) Benni McCarthy
10) El-Hadji Diouf

I've probably missed a few, and I bet many people would make a different list, so...thoughts?

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League Empty Re: Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League

Post by Hisham El Mawan Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't know why there are sunglasses next to Geremi...

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League Empty Re: Best-Ever African Players in the Premier League

Post by Jason Morrison Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Hisham El Mawan wrote:I don't know why there are sunglasses next to Geremi...

lol, an 8 followed by a close bracket= sunglass emoticon... and surely Lauren deserves to be there?
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Lauren should be 2 on that list!

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Frimpong and Song !!

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 pm

I think Mustapha Hadji should be on there too. He was excellent for Coventry, made a bigger impact for them then players like Diouf did at his clubs and for longer than Benni McCarthy did. And Lucas Radebe! Tony Yeboah! Ah, flashbacks.

Not really a fan of lists, but will give it a go:

1) Didier Drogba

and the rest are in no particular order:

Lauren
Michael Essien
Jay Jay Okocha
Kanu
Mustapha Hadji
Kolo Toure
Yakubu
Lucas Radebe
Tony Yeboah (biased choice as his wonder goals got me through childhood)

Yaya Toure will be on this list very, very soon. Just hasn't been here long enough but his impact for City is clear. Adebayor lost his right to crack the top 10 when he decided to dance in front of me a few weeks ago.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 am

LOVE Tony Yeboah! Will always remember that one against Liverpool, 4th in the following video:

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 am

El Hadji Diouf might not be in the top 10 best players, but he can be biggest cunt of all time.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:
Not really a fan of lists, but will give it a go:

1) Didier Drogba

Dick head! We all know its Kanu, Lauren, Daniel Amakachi and Kolo. oh, and a big shout out for Kaba Diawara (waits for some smart arse to point out that he was French).
Liam Bermingham
Liam Bermingham
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Assan Touray Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 am

Van Roy Bostanian wrote:El Hadji Diouf might not be in the top 10 best players, but he can be biggest cunt of all time.

Diouf is definitely a cunt but in terms of pure ability, he's right there with the best. Not that it counts for anything, because he's too fucking thick and let his antics overshadow his ability. No wonder he's at Doncaster Rovers now.

Agree with Mario's list though. As much as we hate Adebayor, I think he will be mentioned amongst the greats when it's all said and done. His goal scoring record is remarkable and he is likely to eclipse Drogba's record in the near future. The lanky prick.
Assan Touray
Assan Touray
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 am

Chris Chan wrote:LOVE Tony Yeboah! Will always remember that one against Liverpool, 4th in the following video:

And now I feel like a fool for forgetting him haha

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Wang Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Patrick Vieira. He is Senegalese after all, but I suppose it would be a stretch to consider him an "African" footballer.
Wesley Wang
Wesley Wang
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:43 am

What an impact Tony Yeboah made. Shame that he went off form so quickly also.

Shame on Hisham for forgetting Lauren, and also for including Geremi ahead of Song! Smile
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Tony Yeboah is a cult hero. You pretty much have to like him whoever you support for those goals!

Is it based on the impact they had in the league? If not then George Weah played a few Man City games, he may need to make the list.

There are a lot of African players currently in the league who probably hane't been here long enough to be on that list but may do soon. In the future I can see Ba, Tiote, Frimpong, Pienaar and Sessongon possibly on the list. Maybe Ekotto. I'm rate Odemwingie too.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 am

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:02 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:What an impact Tony Yeboah made. Shame that he went off form so quickly also.

Shame on Hisham for forgetting Lauren, and also for including Geremi ahead of Song! Smile

Haha trust me mate, I love Song, but I don't think he's been good long enough to be on my top 10. Give it a few years. But as for Lauren...I made a mistake on that one!

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down