Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL

+7
Sami Rockfeller
ChippyBrady
Jenks1981
Alejandro Perreira
Vanig Bostanian
Joey Schwab
Adam Sisson
11 posters

Go down

Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL Empty Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL

Post by Adam Sisson Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 am

Out of general curiosity as he has been linked to us? He's hitting his peak and could be a decent replacement for Arshavin. Also came out and says he wants CL football (who doesn't?). Valued at 10M right now, and Liverpool are apparently keen since they are looking for (another!) midfielder.

Can't see anything happening until this summer, but just curious as to the general feel about him. He's having a hell of a season this year and he is a leader on the pitch.

Also, I'm actually quite pleased with the level of success some of the American players are finally having in the Premiership this year. Landon has come over and done well in his short loan time and it seems our top level players always do well over here. It surprises me that more of our players choose to go to Germany/Italy rather than England due to, what I feel, are large similarities in sporting culture.

Rambling post, but I'm bored at work.
Adam Sisson
Adam Sisson
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL Empty Re: Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL

Post by Joey Schwab Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:02 am

As much as I'd, personally, love to see Dempsey in an Arsenal shirt I don't think he's good enough to play regularly here. He is a very decent player, but at this point he isn't the type of player we need to be looking at. He wouldn't really be an improvement on any of our CM's, and I don't see him as the attacking wide player we need either. I love his attitude, though, and his temperament is exactly what we need more of in the squad.

He could be a good player for us off the bench, but I don't see why he would want to do that after being such an important player for Fulham.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL Empty Re: Dempsey - Would you take him?/American Players in the PL

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 am

I'd be OK if we bought a marquee signing as a starter and then replaced dead wood, useless players like Diaby with good players like Dempsey to be on the bench.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Alejandro Perreira Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 am

whoa diaby has upside out the wazoo, tell dempsey to make the french squad!

Alejandro Perreira
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:33 am

Not the type of wide player we need...hmmm direct, great runs, dangerous in the air, scores goals, good workrate off the ball...so just because he hasnt got a flash pass or trick he isnt good enough for Arsenal?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Not the type of wide player we need...hmmm direct, great runs, dangerous in the air, scores goals, good workrate off the ball...so just because he hasnt got a flash pass or trick he isnt good enough for Arsenal?
Come to think of it, yeah, Prem experience as well, I'm starting to change my mind.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Sisson Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Not the type of wide player we need...hmmm direct, great runs, dangerous in the air, scores goals, good workrate off the ball...so just because he hasnt got a flash pass or trick he isnt good enough for Arsenal?

To be honest, I think he has got a flash pass and trick in him Very Happy
Adam Sisson
Adam Sisson
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 am

That isn't at all what I said. Do you think United, City, Chelsea, or even Spurs would be in for him? We need to be aiming for really high quality players if we want to be competitive again. Is he really an improvement on Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Gervinho or the Ox? If we're going to be spending 8-10 million pounds on an attacking player we may as well spend a bit more on someone who will 100% certainly improve our starting XI.

I'm a big fan of Dempsey - as the only good American player around right now, I sort of have to be - but I just don't think that is the sort of player we should be aiming to get. Like I said, I love his attitude and would take him as a squad player in a heartbeat, but for the price he would have to be more than.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:49 am

Joey Schwab wrote:

That isn't at all what I said. Do you think United, City, Chelsea, or even Spurs would be in for him? We need to be aiming for really high quality players if we want to be competitive again. Is he really an improvement on Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Gervinho or the Ox? If we're going to be spending 8-10 million pounds on an attacking player we may as well spend a bit more on someone who will 100% certainly improve our starting XI.

I'm a big fan of Dempsey - as the only good American player around right now, I sort of have to be - but I just don't think that is the sort of player we should be aiming to get. Like I said, I love his attitude and would take him as a squad player in a heartbeat, but for the price he would have to be more than.

I get it Joey, and I wouldnt see him getting into the midfield three, but on the flanks where we need somebody other than Arshavin, who doesnt want to be here...I dont think competing with the more affluent clubs just for the sake of it is the thing to be doing, we need to assess our squad, and improve it, his goals and experience could add something and i do realise its alot of money for a squad player but thats what we are looking at.

We may well have to replace squad players such as Arshavin, Benayoun and Diaby in the summer because they arent contributing.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:53 am

Indeed. I guess it all comes down to how much we have to spend. Like Van said, if we sign Dempsey along with a Hazard/Goetze/Bignamesigning then I'd be thrilled.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 am

We're not going to sign Dempsey.
I Do like him though. Has a great work ethic. I'd rate him higher than Benayoun and Rosicky. But if we're going to add some more players to our books to seriously compete at the top again, we need some genuine world class.
And he ain't it.
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:10 am

ChippyBrady7 wrote:We're not going to sign Dempsey.
I Do like him though. Has a great work ethic. I'd rate him higher than Benayoun and Rosicky. But if we're going to add some more players to our books to seriously compete at the top again, we need some genuine world class.
And he ain't it.

Two things, firstly we are just discussing it, no one suggested its an immenant possibility. And secondly, surely you know we arent going to go out and sign any ready made world class players. We need to build a team, not buy individuals due to our constraints imo.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 am

He would be a good addition to the squad if we could get him on the cheap, which I don't see happening give his current form.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

Joey has pretty much covered it. He'd be a useful squad addition - but would probably cost too much to be just that - but isn't remotely close to being starting quality.

I like Deuce as much as the next guy but he's not technically adroit enough for us and doesn't really offer anything the squad doesn't already possess. Beyond rap skillz, natch.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Dempsey, a Gunner? Fuck no...

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Min Shan Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

i would take him. though he's an unimpressive player, but he does get the goals and that is what arsenal need right now. a good player to have as back-up or off the bench. i rather have him than benayoun due to benayoun age. and i do find benayoun somehow similar to rosicky. dempsey could offer something that this arsenal team doesnt have.

Min Shan
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:45 pm

I'd like to have him as a squad player, not an out and out starter, but he could definately offer something to the team. He has a lot of things about his game I'd like to see for us though such as he can take a knock, works hard, is a good dribbler from wide but can score headers and poach goals too (versatile basically), has experience etc

He'd score more goals than Rosicky and I prefer him to Benayoun. But would still be a squad player so may be a bit expensive for that.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum