Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex Song

+28
DaveToffy
Wesley Wang
pwoodman1
Greg Waters
rschalala
Chris Chan
Ashraf Peeran
Michael Schatzky
dbruce5
Darcy Gorman
JavierVen
Alan Dawson
Assan Touray
ralph avedikian
Dalgooner
Zaid Derweesh
ChippyBrady
Subrat Koirala
Mike York
Marko Maksimović
Jason Morrison
Sami Rockfeller
Dan Hakim
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Joey Schwab
Michael Foster
Jonathan Prendergast
32 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Alex Song - Page 4 Empty Re: Alex Song

Post by Michael Schatzky Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:36 am

pwoodman1 wrote:Is Song the last of our players represented by Darren Dein? Maybe that's why Wenger let him go?

I'm sure that played a part !
I can imagine that Wenger was sick of dealing with an agent who has been so disruptive to his plans. Song was expendable for the right price , two problems solved.
I also thinK that Yann M'Vila is coming in, and would like to think that Ben Fairthorne is right in that M Vila made it known to Rennes he wanted to come to Arsenal a long time ago, it is just down to haggling over transfer fee.
We are knocking down the price, now that a lot of other clubs have pulled out. Rennes were asking 20 million a few months ago, we might get him for 10 or so.
Perhaps Song knew of Arsenal's interest in MVila , felt disrespected and it made his decision to leave easier.

Michael Schatzky
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 am

OK now that he's left, hopefully we get a proper DM a new Gilberto Silva would be nice.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Wang Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:45 am

Sounds like we're getting Sahin on loan as a replacement. What are your thoughts on this?

As far as I know, Sahin is more of a deep lying attacking midfielder than a defensive one. Can anyone who watched him at BVB or Real vouch for his defensive qualities? I don't want to write him off immediately, but if we're going to lose Song I'd much rather we replace him with someone defensive-minded, athletic and strong in the tackle i.e. M'Vila, rather than a Pirlo/Denilson-esque player.
Wesley Wang
Wesley Wang
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:03 am

pwoodman1 wrote:Is Song the last of our players represented by Darren Dein? Maybe that's why Wenger let him go?

From what I could find knocking about on the tinternet that would be 100% correct....

so long Dein...ya money hungry bitch whore..
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:42 am

Wesley Wang wrote:Sounds like we're getting Sahin on loan as a replacement. What are your thoughts on this?

As far as I know, Sahin is more of a deep lying attacking midfielder than a defensive one. Can anyone who watched him at BVB or Real vouch for his defensive qualities? I don't want to write him off immediately, but if we're going to lose Song I'd much rather we replace him with someone defensive-minded, athletic and strong in the tackle i.e. M'Vila, rather than a Pirlo/Denilson-esque player.
Most articles I've read from knowledgeable German league sources say he's not a very physical midfield presence but he has excellent timing in the tackle, nicking the ball away from opponents.. feel like that same description applies to Rosicky. I'd like to think with Song's departure, Wenger has M'Vila lined up to provide those physical qualities.
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 am

seems more like a xabi Alonso type than Song but rumour mill says we are back in for M'Vila

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Haha....song has been shredded in the papers this morning...no let up on saying exactly went on with song.....lazy,late,bad attitude,drove the coaching staff to distraction,lacked defensive discipline....just a few of the lines quoted...hahaha....

Well it's all what we know anyhow....seams as tho Wenger has changed his tune with not saying much regarding players leaving...

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 am

14.9m final deal for song....enjoy the bench son.....enjoy.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Alex Song: Barcelona midfielder has claimed he never wanted to leave Arsenal

Former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song has claimed he only left

Sky Bet

the Emirates for Barcelona as the Gunners would not talk to him about a new deal.

The Cameroon international became the second high-profile player to depart the north London club this summer in the wake of Robin van Persie's move to Manchester United.

And while the striker's announcement that he would not be extending his stay under Arsene Wenger hastened his departure, Song insists that he had shown nothing but loyalty to Arsenal.

The 24-year-old, who was sold to the Spanish giants in a £15million deal, says he was ready to pledge his long-term future to the Gunners, only to be 'fobbed off'.

Postponed

Song told The Sun: "I was ready to commit my future to the club. All I wanted were talks about a new contract but each time we were due to sit down, the club postponed it. I was fobbed off.

"I wanted a new five-year contract at Arsenal. In the end I got one -at Barcelona.

"I had been trying for eight months to start talking about a new long-term deal but the club kept postponing me all the time, saying 'You have three years left'.

"I hadn't talked about money I just wanted to sit down and discuss a new deal - I wanted to commit my career to the club I loved.

"Then out of the blue, Barcelona came in for me. And, suddenly, I was wanted by the biggest club in the world and they wanted to give me a five-year deal."

Hurtful

Song has also hit back at reports which suggested his exit from the Emirates was due to a poor attitude in training and a fall-out with manager Wenger.

He added: "I woke up and read those things in the paper and was really surprised and disappointed. I love Arsenal, I never wanted to leave.

"I'm really upset. These accusations are hurtful, they are slurs on my character. I have the utmost respect for Arsene Wenger. I loved him like a father and he is a fantastic coach.

"He made me the player I am and I am indebted to him for that. There was never any trouble between us, so for someone within the club to suggest that really upsets me.

"If Arsenal thought I wasn't enthusiastic in training then maybe it was I didn't understand that I was contributing on the pitch and they didn't want to sit down with me."
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Not sure what to make of this now.......have we sold just for profit???? Are we actually lining up a replacement?? Have we indeed been fobbed off with this lazy story??

Hmmmm plot thickens....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by milan gurung Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Is Song saying he would be happy on 55k a week for next 5 years ?

i was thinking we could get 20m for him.HE is versatile and still young. 15m looks cheap for him. i know some people were happy with that sum but he still had 3 years to run on his contract.

milan gurung
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 pm

He would have had an increase....but the main thing is was he happy...let's say he was downhearted on lack of signings would not pull his weight then he in a way would feel like it but unlike some that have left they kept going...he did not??
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:30 am

How much did Vermaelen and Koscielny have when they extended their contracts earlier in the summer? I think each still had two. And if Song really wanted to extend his contract without putting money as an issue, Arsenal would have happily extended his (they would get more money from seeling him if he had 5 years in his contract instead of 3), so I think there is some bullshit from Song, but at least he isn't speaking badly of the club.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Will.sheng Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 am

My favourite player last season. Even more than RVP. Can't believe we sold him

Will.sheng
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by milan gurung Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am

you could not say downhearted due to of lack of signings because we already bought podolski, giroud and cazorla and robin was still at the club( even though he was going) and were still looking to add players.
was robin leaving the final dice for him as he thinks the rest of the team are not world class ?
he has that lazy playing style which people assume "may be not pulling his weight ". he was fine in pre season looking at the pics. all of a sudden barca shows an interest and he is off .
to label him as DM is false as he does not have the discipline for that role but to play in a system where we have like 3" not so good version of xavi/alonso" type of player who can defend and create.

milan gurung
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Wang Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:08 am

Given that he provided the most assists for us last season, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for a contract renewal with a pay-raise.

Selling Song seems quite uncharacteristic of Wenger if Song's accounts are to be trusted. Wenger raised him, he loves the club, had no indications that he wanted to leave, then suddenly he's gone. Very strange, unless we've got someone even better lined up.
Wesley Wang
Wesley Wang
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:18 am

I think, like Clichy, we could have kept Song if we really wanted to.

But Wenger has said that we have plenty in that position, so was happy to sell for a tidy sum.

I really liked Song, and he seemed very committed to the cause and happy playing for Arsenal. But I also like Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere, Rosicky, Coquelin and Frimpong (plus Ramsey and Diaby), so I don't think he will be missed on the field too much.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by jason.mandryk Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:51 am

Song was very valuable for his physical presence defensively, but he was also impossible to knock off the ball when he wanted to be. Most important, though, were his lofted passes from deep that created goals when the tippy-tappy wasn't working; bypassing the midfielders got us a lot of crucial goals - where will those come from this season when we are lacking both the creator and the finisher.
jason.mandryk
jason.mandryk
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:28 am

jason.mandryk wrote:Song was very valuable for his physical presence defensively, but he was also impossible to knock off the ball when he wanted to be. Most important, though, were his lofted passes from deep that created goals when the tippy-tappy wasn't working; bypassing the midfielders got us a lot of crucial goals - where will those come from this season when we are lacking both the creator and the finisher.

I know a lot of people will stick with the fact song was fantastic for us but with cazorla in the ranks the passes will surely come from him as most of us have seen in the last two games his range of passing is fantastic...within time it will only get better and as he stands now I belive his passing abaility is better than what song's was as for his physical attributes...hmmm debatable times he was good,held up well and surged forward...but the other times he did not seam to turn up at all....if we can get in another strong and purely defensive mid i feel we will be better off.....

We have 4 days to get some one in.....I just hope it's not a rush buy.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:43 am

Maybe the theory of cutting off all ties to Darren Dien are true?
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:17 am

Former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song has said the opportunity to join Barcelona was too good to turn down.

The Cameroon international joined the Spanish giants in a £15m move over the summer, but while the 25-year-old found it impossible to resist, he admits it was difficult to turn his back on the Emirates.

"It was in July. Barca spoke with Arsenal and Arsene Wenger came to tell me," Song told El Mundo Deportivo.

"It was hard to convince him and also say goodbye because he really helped me and my family when I arrived at Arsenal at 17 years old.

"When a club like Barcelona want you you can't say no.

"A chance like this only happens once in life and you must take it."

It would appear that the lack of trophies in his seven-year spell at Arsenal influenced Song's decision, as it has others who have left the Emirates, including Robin van Persie, Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas.

"I'm hungry. I've never won anything and I have come here to play many games and win it all," he said.

Song, predominantly a midfielder, could be called upon to play in defence for the Catalans in their upcoming games, including a meeting with Real Madrid early next month, with Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique both suffering from injury.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/alex-song-says-opportunity-to-swap-arsenal-for-barcelona-was-once-in-lifetime-8180220.html

So much for Wenger 'forcing' Song out...
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Yes, so much for that bullshit story. Fuck off, Alex Song. You were nothing without Arsene, and I suspect that your career with Barca will not last as long as you think.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Just trying to save face now...

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content