Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Stadium that Arsene built

+11
Sami Rockfeller
Marko Maksimović
Jason Morrison
Jenks1981
ralph avedikian
Mike York
Michael Foster
Greg Waters
Zaid Derweesh
Dan Hakim
Jonathan Prendergast
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Stadium that Arsene built Empty The Stadium that Arsene built

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:17 am

Was it worth it?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

The Stadium that Arsene built Empty Re: The Stadium that Arsene built

Post by Dan Hakim Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 am

Yes.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Yeah

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Waters Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Yep.

Wenger... he's come in for so much criticism, some of it fairly, but with every passing summer where our top players leave and the board decides not to go down the cash-splurging route, the job he's doing comes into perspective again. Last summer was kind of a disaster, but in the end we came through in a decent league position yet again.

We'd be seriously fucked without him.

Greg Waters
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:05 pm

All in all...there is no manager capable of doing what Wenger has done...

A bold move away from Highbury to the Emirates worth every penny...every brick,post,pillar,seat...a wonder of how quick we have moved sold off the old and gaining every day..money paid off on the New stadium is unreal...just imagine Liverpool or chelsea moving....
Would they do as well??

I know that we have struggled in the last 6 year's....and I know its always Wenger under fire,
He does not deserve this for ways he has developed our club...I do belive the board is what needs to be changed....

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 pm

100% worth it. I loved Highbury but the Emirates was needed in order to stay competitive. Beautiful stadium too.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Mike York wrote:100% worth it. I loved Highbury but the Emirates was needed in order to stay competitive. Beautiful stadium too.

Agreed totaly with How beautiful the stadium looks...inside and out...looking forward to having a tour...

I think one thing needs to be looked at once the fair play part comes into play you could quite easily see teams having to cut losses and sell players...does anybody know how the rule will stand if the club has owners and its running in he black....

Will the owner be able to inject money into the club off the books??
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Tottaly worth it. If they offered me a deal where we move to the emirates but suffer a trophyless 7-10 years I don't know how much I would have accepted. It's very important to have a big stadium. Also, it is wonderful.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 pm

I wouldn't change anything Wenger has done in his tenure, if we were without him for this length of time I reckon we would be comparible to Aston Villa. Thats how far Wenger has pushed the limits, for me.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:I wouldn't change anything Wenger has done in his tenure, if we were without him for this length of time I reckon we would be comparible to Aston Villa. Thats how far Wenger has pushed the limits, for me.

I would consider myself one of the biggest Wenger zealots, but I still think there are a couple of things he could have done differently.

Spend that extra couple of million to get Reina and Alonso deals over the line are an obvious one. It probably would have meant we kept Cesc, and even Nasri a year or two longer.

Now he has to spend an extra 10m to get players of such quality, and replace the ones that left.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Jenks1981 wrote:I wouldn't change anything Wenger has done in his tenure, if we were without him for this length of time I reckon we would be comparible to Aston Villa. Thats how far Wenger has pushed the limits, for me.

I would consider myself one of the biggest Wenger zealots, but I still think there are a couple of things he could have done differently.

Spend that extra couple of million to get Reina and Alonso deals over the line are an obvious one. It probably would have meant we kept Cesc, and even Nasri a year or two longer.

Now he has to spend an extra 10m to get players of such quality, and replace the ones that left.

Yes but you cant re-write history, if it was a choice of Wenger or no Wenger then we should all have the same opinion, if you change a few of his worse decisions then you would have to consider what would happen if you change a few of his better decisions as well. Im happy with everything he has done all in all.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote:

Yes but you cant re-write history, if it was a choice of Wenger or no Wenger then we should all have the same opinion, if you change a few of his worse decisions then you would have to consider what would happen if you change a few of his better decisions as well. Im happy with everything he has done all in all.

Agreed....I have always said as a rewrite I just wish Wenger had spent more on better...admittedly he has signed some crackers....but as of late it's been more....hmmmm...average....haha..I mean park?!?!? Has anybody any idea why he was signed???
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 pm

I would bet Wenger took advice from a scout as it was last minute, took a punt, a terrible punt! Strange thing is that Grimandi is our scout in France and he is usually very very reliable.

2012 Olympics is the shop window for Park, he simply must leave poor lad.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 pm

I don't really care about the Park signing. 4m pounds. Who cares. It's not like it was Veron or Djemba Djemba.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Michael Foster wrote:
Mike York wrote:100% worth it. I loved Highbury but the Emirates was needed in order to stay competitive. Beautiful stadium too.

Agreed totaly with How beautiful the stadium looks...inside and out...looking forward to having a tour...

Yeah inside and out it looks great. I always enjoy walking over the bridge towards it. And the more "Arsenalisation" we see the better it gets.

Haven't taken a tour yet but I have wanted to do it for a while. Would be great.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:I don't really care about the Park signing. 4m pounds. Who cares. It's not like it was Veron or Djemba Djemba.

I laughed once.....I mean really laughed when a friend of mine called djemba djemba...world class!!!

As for Gilles he comes up as stated with quite a few of our class finds yet.....somehow...the bottom of the barrel drags through...

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Mike York wrote:
Michael Foster wrote:

Yeah inside and out it looks great. I always enjoy walking over the bridge towards it. And the more "Arsenalisation" we see the better it gets.

Haven't taken a tour yet but I have wanted to do it for a while. Would be great.

Same here..also the buzz you get outside the shop before games gets me going!!! Ohhhhhh....hahaha...

Talking of the tours any idea of when those are available???
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 am

It definately was worth it.

One thing I'm really looking forward to once the "Wenger out" brigade get their wish is Wenger's biography, if ever he does decide to make one.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 am

Worth it...
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 am

Jason Morrison wrote:It definately was worth it.

One thing I'm really looking forward to once the "Wenger out" brigade get their wish is Wenger's biography, if ever he does decide to make one.

Would be worth its weight in gold. As long as he's not diplomatic and protecting the interests of those at the club.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:09 pm

I think it would take more than a book. Maybe a series.

He has to grapple with a lot of complex issues. None of it is black and white. I'd expect he would be very balanced in his writing.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Zaid Derweesh wrote:
Jason Morrison wrote:It definately was worth it.

Would be worth its weight in gold. As long as he's not diplomatic and protecting the interests of those at the club.

It would then end up looking like RVP's letter, I don't think we'll hear anything from Wenger about Arsenal. Ever.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Definitely worth it.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by jason.mandryk Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:18 am

Worth it, easily!

Other decisions unrelated to the stadium and within the financial framework from which we have operated, well that is another matter entirely.
jason.mandryk
jason.mandryk
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 am

Worth it

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content