Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolves vs Arsenal Post Match

+17
Subrat Koirala
Alex Hadjicharalampous
ralph avedikian
Samritpal Singh
Vanig Bostanian
ahrstic
Jenks1981
Mike York
Zaid Derweesh
Sami Rockfeller
Jonathan Prendergast
John Foxall
Assan Touray
Dan Hakim
Jason Morrison
mjenkins
Mario
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wolves vs Arsenal Post Match Empty Wolves vs Arsenal Post Match

Post by Mario Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 am

Go.

Easy win, 3 goals and a clean sheet. Not much more you can ask for.

We took our foot off the gas at 2-0 which wasn't that bad, we controlled the game with ease and just made them chase as the time ticked away. We should have been a bit more direct but in the first half they had nothing. But in the 2nd half we got a bit too sloppy with it and allowed them a great chance to score, what a save by Szczesny. After that you could tell we picked up and should have scored more than 3.

Good to see RVP score again, and two nice goals from Theo and Yossi. Clean sheet and on to Wigan now with a 5 point lead.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wolves vs Arsenal Post Match Empty Re: Wolves vs Arsenal Post Match

Post by mjenkins Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:37 am

WE WON !! WE WON!! WE WON!! 5 point lead over spurs Great result

mjenkins
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 am

Ima say this after every win, hope it doesnt come back to bite me in the Arse like it did the other NL club but, Mind the Gap!Smile
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am

It was a very comfortable win against a weak and struggling side. Perhaps there should have been more goals for us, but who cares? We won, increased the gap between spurs and chelsea, and VP got on the score sheet after again.

What is this? 27 from a possible 30 points? Can't really ask for much more.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Assan Touray Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 am

Comfortable win, early goals and a red card meant we never had to turn up our performance. Made it a bit boring to watch at times, but I'll take the victory and a clean sheet.

Theo and Santos were particularly guilty of playing too casually. With Theo, he made such a great start and then it seemed like the booing from the Wolves fans got in his head a bit. He kept giving the ball away constantly and I was surprised Wenger took so long to replace him with the Ox. I know a lot of people are fond of Santos because he's such a likable character, but for me, Gibbs is much better defensively.

Ramsey had a decent game as well. Always looking to make things happen in attack for us even if they didn't always come off. He should have done better with his early chance in the second half but he hesitated and let the defender make a block. Should have had a penalty at the end as well, but the fact that he got up so quickly after the tackle worked against him.
Assan Touray
Assan Touray
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:22 am

Jonathan Wilson tweeted this on Monday:

Jonathan Wilson ‏ @jonawils
Back Aaron Ramsey to score v Wolves on Wednesday....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/robert-mugabe-said-to-be-fighting-for-life-in-singapore-hospital/story-e6frg6so-1226322291456

I guess he'll be survive this time.

Weird game. Nothing but the 3 points to take out of it. 4-0 would have had a nice ring to it, we almost fell asleep as it was so dull. If you sit on a lead you have to do it properly!

Back to our usual intensity against Wigan I hope.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Through our lesser games, there is a lot of complaints about the intensity...but I think I see the players running their tits off.

Maybe it is more an issue of focus? Or determination?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Good game, I think Ramsey did well to pick up his game after the first half. Just hope the boy scores sooner so that people would get off his back.
Santos looked susceptible. Maybe it is because he was out for so long, but he'll need to do much better against stronger teams.

And what a penalty that was from RVP, cracking stuff.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm pissed off. I missed the game cause I had a 17 hour flight, battled through jetlag and fatigue to download the game, struggled through software issues to watch it, and it was incredibly boring after the first 10 minutes.

That aside, a good win but a lazy performance. Song and Arteta were great, but apart from them, I was disappointed to see a lack of application, really. I wanted us to press, get goals, show we're hungry, help the goal difference. Sagna was surprisingly unenergetic. Ramsey started well, got poor as the game went on, and ended well. Djourou looked tidy. Santos was awful.

Wigan have shown they're fighting for survival and will be very difficult to beat. Wrongfully beaten against Chelsea, beat Man Utd, they will be no walkovers for sure. I hope they can't keep it up.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:23 pm

I also think that Wenger's refusal to give Park or Chamakh any game time whatsoever, despite us being 3-0 before 70 minutes and against a team down to 10 men (and bottom of the league) shows they are likely not in his plans next season.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm

If we really wanted to I think we could have won 6-0. But a few of things.

One, Wolves decided to put every man behind the ball and allowed us the ball in non-threatening positions. We could have done more, of course, but with the game 2-0 we didn't have the urgency to go out and score more because the game was more or less won already and Wolves were defending in numbers. Also, we had a very tough game against Man City on Sunday which must have taken something out of us and it looked like the team wanted to preserve energy and just control the game without exerting too much.

In the 2nd half we obviously had to step up another gear and when we did we scored and could have scored a few more. Ideally I would have wanted us to step on the gas at 2-0 and just finish them off. I want to see us show more of a killer instinct and then slow the game down and kill them off. But all in all, can't really complain. It was one of the easiest away games we've had all season, Wigan away being the other standout, and it was mostly comfortable viewing.

Also,

1) What Zaid says is true about Park and Chamakh. The only time they come on is if we're desperate. They didn't come on at 6-1 at home to 10 man Blackburn so you could tell then they didn't have much use. The only reason we didn't use all our subs last night was because those subs were Park, Chamakh, Squillaci (all have no future here) and Rosicky, whose replacement Ramsey needed and was fine to complete 90mins.

2) Santos wasn't too sharp and was sloppy but he has been out for a while and we saw at the start of the season that he needed a few games in a row to see improvement. Gibbs will probably start at least 4 of the last 5 games unless injury keeps him out.

3) Ramsey has no confidence in front of goal, none whatsoever, but he doesn't hide. Needs a goal or two very soon, though. The miss at City and the ones yesterday were fine as the matches were won/almost won by those points but when the match is tight, he needs those shots to go in. Rosicky is clearly ahead of him right now and we look a better team with him in it.

4) Yossi is a fine squad player to have. Doesn't complain, experienced, good on the ball, works hard and a real pro. Has an odd goal in him, too. A few months ago I thought he had no future here because Wenger wouldn't play him or bring him on but since the Spurs game he has stepped up when needed in some big games, I think Wenger will reconsider now.

5) Good that RVP scored again and he showed no signs of lack of confidence in front of goal. We've been winning games without his goals recently but it's always better when he's scoring.

6) Wolves are a truly abysmal team. It saddens me that they got a draw at the Emirates (although they also got draws at Tottenham and Newcastle). But they are gone.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Good points Mario. I was probably a bit too harsh. As Arseblog said this morning, it was a professional performance. Santos was poor, but yes, it's down to fitness - he's shown his commitment in the past.

I felt sorry for Wolves and didn't get much joy out of our first goal, to be honest. That red card rule needs to be amended.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:07 pm

After the first ten minutes I hoped the quick attacking and directness would continue but that was just me being greedy, it wasn't necesary and like Mario said the team looked as if they were just preserving energy. Wenger rested a couple names so I wouldn't be surprised if he told them if they get a comfortable lead to relax and not push themselves. We got 3 points and kept a clean sheet in an away game, so I'm happy. We are on a great run of form but still need all the points we can get to make sure we finish above Spurs (I like how they were ten points above us but still act as if a top four finish would be well fought for. they've bottled it big time...).

Everyone did their job yestarday and for the most part pretty well. It is good to see Djourou playing and keeping clean sheets, with Squillaci as the other CB option Djourou is needed. Szczesny didn't have much to do but then produced a brilliant save. Top goalkeepers keep their concentration and he did just that. If that had gone in and it would have gone 2-1, I may of started to worry a bit. On Ramsey, he had a poor first half but in the second half I think he had a very good game. He didn't score but he did just about everything else right. I don't think the role behind the striker is his preferred role so he has struggled a bit this season, I think heprefers playing deeper, but he is still on for the future. Rosicky for now owns that spot.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Arsene Wenger hailed Arsenal striker Robin van Persie after he equalled a Barclays Premier League goalscoring record in the 3-0 win at Wolves.

Van Persie netted against a 17th different team in the same season with his penalty at Molineux and he has only failed to hit the target against Manchester City and Fulham. It mirrored the achievement of former Gunners hotshot, Ian Wright, who scored against every other side bar Manchester United and Sunderland in a 38-game season during the 1996-97 campaign.

The Dutchman ended his four-game run without a goal to take his overall tally to 34 in all competitions this season, and Wenger said: "It is important for a striker, even like Robin van Persie who was not used to not scoring in the season, to find the net."

He added: "He equalled the record of Ian Wright who scored against 17 different teams out of 19 in the Premier League.

"That is absolutely remarkable in the modern game to be able to do that. I'd like to congratulate him on that. When you only have 19 teams, and your striker has scored against 17 teams, that is something sensational. He could have beaten the record if he had scored against Manchester City at the weekend."

http://www.footymad.net/football-news/wenger_congratulates_van_persie_4183776/index.shtml
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I also think the red card rule needs to be amended. If the foul is a cynical attempt at fouling the last man or a man who is about to score then a red for a professional foul is fine. But when it's a clash of legs or a slightly mistimed tackle or a goalkeeper unable to get out of the way, then why not just the penalty and a yellow? Seems a bit harsh. But was great for us last night.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 pm

I liked this bit:

on ending his four-game goal draught…
It is not easy for a striker like Van Persie who is not used to not scoring. I think he equalled the record of Ian Wright by scoring against 17 different teams in the Premier League out of 20. That is absolutely remarkable in the modern game so I would like to congratulate him because that has never been done before. When your striker scores against 17 different teams, that is sensational.

Errr, you juuust said it has! I get his point, but still Razz

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Can he beat it with the remaining games? Who hasnt he scored against?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ahrstic Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Mario Leontiou wrote:4) Yossi is a fine squad player to have. Doesn't complain, experienced, good on the ball, works hard and a real pro. Has an odd goal in him, too. A few months ago I thought he had no future here because Wenger wouldn't play him or bring him on but since the Spurs game he has stepped up when needed in some big games, I think Wenger will reconsider now.

I was thinking the same, really good player and a nice guy. Wether he starts or comes as a substitute, you can rely on him to do his best (and hes capable and complete player). But if Ryo and Ox are not loaned out, with Jack's impending return and Gervinhos return to squad, I doubt there will be place for him next season.

ahrstic
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Plus he wants to play week in week out doesnt he?

We have only started him in 6 league games, granted he has started others but I would see a genuine case for him to stay if at the end of the season he had started around half our league games but that isnt going to happen.

I'm still not convinced by him, but, could that be the only game in the whole season where each of our front three have scored? I think it might be...

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:Can he beat it with the remaining games? Who hasnt he scored against?

Man City and Fulham.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 am

I wouldn't begrudge Yossi a move elsewhere in search of regular first team football because it's true, he hasn't started much. Which is why a few months ago he looked a cert to leave at the end of the season and there didn't seem to be much point to his being here.

But maybe since then Wenger has seen something that he offers in the big games that complements the rest of our side. He started both Spurs and City games, two huge victories. Will be interesting to see if he starts against Wigan or if we go more direct and pacey with Gervinho or the Ox.

The former Liverpool and West Ham player said in the London Evening Standard: "I think it is difficult to speak now about the future.

"It is better to concentrate on the five weeks that are left and do my best for the club. I am fully committed to Arsenal and after we will see.

"After 30th June, I am going back to Chelsea and then the club and I need to decide. Each one has to think what is best for them.

"I will not lie, I love Chelsea, because I have a good relationship there. I didn't play much, because I had a big injury.

"I still have a lot of friends there I talk to every day. Of course I want them to do well, but it is difficult."

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:50 am

He is our Park-Ji Sung.

After he scored against Villa, he started the next game and was fairly ineffective. He can definitely be useful but probably not as a regular starter. He's very consistent, though doesn't quite have that little bit extra that you'd want from a regular wide player. Definitely not a candidate for the midfield three.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 am

He's good enough to be a squad player which is exactly what he is right now. If he's OK with it, which I don't think he is, I'd be happy with him staying. Better having him in the 25 man squad than the likes of Denilson, Diaby, and Squillaci who must be sold next season. He's a professional and puts on 100% effort everytime. Seems to be great off the pitch as well with the youngsters.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 am

Yossi will go to West Ham if they get promoted. You heard it first. #RockfellerChronicles
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 am

IS THIS SERIOUS???

Seriously.. are they serious?
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter