Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff v Arsenal

+4
kique.canto
Prateek Mishra
John Foxall
Jonathan Prendergast
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cardiff v Arsenal - Page 2 Empty Re: Cardiff v Arsenal

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 pm

John Foxall wrote:Wenger has been commited to 4-3-3 with one up top since about 2009.

The problem imo, is that Podolski can't play the role up top on his own like Giroud can. Needless to say Walcott would also be useless in that position, no matter how highly he rates himself. Neither can really do much with back-to-goal against strong defenders. Giroud could do with a bit more pace and doesn't always take the right option but right now the team owes him a lot. He's playing the role as well as he possibly can. Luckily we're not dependent on his goals, because as a goal threat he's fairly inconsistent, even if 7 in the league is pretty respectable.

They might not like playing as the wide player in the front three, but that's the only place either will play. Benteke would be a superb addition to the squad. I'm a little worried that if we don't strengthen we might get one key injury and fade, just like in 07/08.
I'm always up for the team being strengthened. It is sad for players to be left behind, but the best teams win, then strengthen again.

Giroud does things that Podolski either won't or can't. Giroud's work on gathering clearances, holding and passing on is bordering on art. His movement of the ball, and flicks and interplay are also excellent.

Podoslki would be very different. Likes to run a bit later into the box. Keeps things simple, shoots on sight.

It's not possible to say he won't be valuable there, as not only has he not been given a run of games there, he's hardly had any time there for us.

No doubt, it would be very different. But the team could adapt.

I notice Real Madrid gave Rodriguez his debut up front against Galatasaray. If you have Bale, Isco, Di Maria, Illeamarenda around him, the team will still score goals no matter how poor he is. Which was the case even with 10 men.

Podoslki there may be weaker, or may just be different. It may even open new opportunities for Ozil, Cazorla and Wilshire. Like how Fabregas scored more when Henry left.

In any case, no better than Wenger to make the right decision.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 pm

In 2008, we had Rosicky injured, then Eduardo's leg break and as usual, van Persie was injured and Adebayor was Adebayor, he went into an 8 game goal drought when it mattered. The only thing affecting us that much this season would be an injury to Giroud. We got things covered pretty much everywhere else. The weakest backup for a position we have is right back, and Jenkinson isn't a bad player. It tells you how much depth this team has. We can't have better backups than Vermaelen, Monreal, Rosicky, Podolski, Flamini/Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and even Gnabry. We can make 5 changes against Hull and we'd still have enough to win. We don't need to drastically change the way we play if let's say Rosicky replaces Cazorla on the left, but if anything happens to Giroud, who will win the Szczesny goal kicks? Who will Ozil use as a bouncy wall? Who will even help us defend corners? That's what I love so much about Giroud, he does a lot and even on his off days, I can forgive him for let's say having a poor first touch because there are a thousand other ways that he still contributes.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by cozypilo Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 am

I think this is our best November since
the Invincible season.The Xmas period
will be the best indicator of our chances.
cozypilo
cozypilo
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas Wæhre Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 pm

I just have to say that the Cardiff fans where outstanding, and really something else. The treatment they gave Ramsey was wonderful to see and something you don't see very often!

They actually sang "there is only one Aaron Ramsey"

After last week (2-2 united) and this, I really hope they survive in the PL.

Andreas Wæhre
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2