Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loanees Review

5 posters

Go down

Loanees Review  Empty Loanees Review

Post by Mario Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Ryo Miyaichi – 3/10

Having impressed on loan at Feyenoord and under Owen Coyle’s tutelage at Bolton Wanderers big things were expected of Ryo when he signed a season long loan with Wigan. Unfortunately, despite Roberto Martinez enthusiastically declaring the Japanese international would fit well with the Latics’ passing philosophy, groin and ankle injuries played havoc with his first team chances. His only start came in the Capital One Cup back in September and he made only seven further appearances from the bench.

Highlight of the season: Can one day tell his kids he played against Brazil after coming on as an injury-time substitute in Japan’s October friendly.

Lowlight of the season: After 4 month absence with groin problem he returned against Everton in FA Cup quarter-final only to have his ankle poleaxed within 30 minutes. He was subsequently ruled out for the remainder of the season.

Season trivia: The Japanese ambassador to Austria was nearly expelled from Vienna after Ryo labelled Wigan’s Paul Scharner ‘bat sh*t crazy’ on his blog. To avoid a full-scale diplomatic incident Wagyu cattle were sent as a gift to the Alpine state where they mated with the Laughing Cow.

Next season: Another loan spell probably. Possibly abroad and perhaps with a permanent move in mind.

Denilson – 5/10

Arseblog News can’t be sure, but we think Brazilian football seasons are a bit like dog years and that Denilson may actually have played four or five since returning home to play for Sao Paulo. We know he got sent off a fair bit, scored a comedy own goal or two and pissed off angry locals on Twitter. No doubt he went sideways quite a bit and enjoyed the sunshine.

Highlight of the season: Scored a cracking goal against Palmeiras back in October and Sao Paulo were awarded the Copa Sudamericana title after their opponents Tigre refused to play the second half of the second-leg of the final.

Lowlight of the season: Hilarious own goal against Sao Bernado in March.

Season trivia: Arsene Wenger refuses to answer calls from Denilson after the Brazilian recommended Wellington to the Arsenal scouting team.

Next season: Arsenal will no doubt be trying to offload him permanently this summer with Sao Paulo pondering a bid.

Ju-Young Park – 4/10

Having spent last season at London Colney cataloguing the training cones for Pat Rice, Park was shipped off to Celta Vigo on loan where he’s actually had quite a bit of game time. Three goals in 22 games is an upturn on his debut year at Arsenal but it hasn’t stopped Vigo from being relegated from La Liga.

Highlight of the season: Being out of harms way having avoided national service back in South Korea.

Lowlight of the season: The risk posed to his countrymen by Kim Jong-un.

Season trivia: The first Korean to score in La Liga, Park celebrated the landmark moment by going out clubbing with his teammates. Alas, he was turned away by the doormen at Galicia’s most renowned drum n’bass night for wearing the wrong shoes and carrying a knuckleduster.

Next season: He’ll likely leave Arsenal this summer. Good luck to him.

Nicklas Bendtner – 0/10

Last summer there was all the usual talk of how many options he had and how all the clubs wanted him and how he just had to choo-choo-choose one, but The Greatest Striker That Ever Lived only moved to Juventus on deadline day. Made just 9 Serie A appearances (2 starts), failed to score a goal and tore his groin so badly he had to have gender reassignment surgery. An abject failure.

Highlight of the season: His transfer deadline day turtleneck.

Lowlight of the season: Being arrested for drunk driving the wrong way up a one-way Copenhagen street, thankfully he’s become so good at missing nobody got hurt.

Season trivia: An anagram of Nicklas Bendtner is ‘Blank incest nerd’.

Next season: Needs to grow up, set his sights lower and go somewhere he can play on a regular basis. He’s not a Champions League footballer, except in his head, and unless he smartens up he’ll waste the bit of talent he has.

Joel Campbell – 6/10

This was his second season out on loan and although he’s only scored twice the 20 year old has made an impressive 26 appearances in La Liga for Real Betis. He’s impressed, so much so that they want him back again next year, and it looks as if Arsenal are willing as they tie-up a more formal arrangement with the Andalusian side.

Highlight of the season: A rather splendid winning goal away from home at Deportivo.

Lowlight of the season: Probably had to deal with Dick Law somewhere along the way.

Season trivia: Has a massive tattoo of Paolo Wanchope across his shoulders but from one angle it looks like an aroused angel feeding ambrosia to a mermaid

Next season: Another season at Betis will ensure he picks up European citizenship, and should enable him to develop as a player. If he impresses, it opens the door for an Arsenal return.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/05/ratings-of-the-season-part-4-the-loaners/

I'll add a few more:

Johan Djourou: Seemed to play quite often for Hannover 96, making 15 appearances there. Only has a few details from February-April, http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/johan-djourou If it's the choice of regular 1st team football in the Bundesliga or the occasional cup game for Arsenal, you would think he would choose to stay in Germany. We should sell, and then bring in another CB.

Andre Santos: Another player that featured a lot for his new club, Gremio. Playing 14 times, he scored a goal, missed a decisive penalty in some cup game and I think even got a recall to a Brazil squad. http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/andre-santos Must sell, but it will probably be too difficult to get him off the wage bill.

Emmanuel Frimpong: I maybe only saw 15mins of him in a Fulham shirt so I don't know really know how he performed. He made 6 appearances for Fulham but only 2 starts. His stats from his spell here: http://www.fulhamfc.com/the-teams/first-team/emmanuel-frimpong I can't see him having much of a future at Arsenal, I don't think he's good enough and I certainly don't think he's intelligent enough. The injuries have held him back but I can see maybe another loan deal or possibly a sale.

Marouane Chamakh: He made two appearances at West Ham in January and then never played again for them. I think that pretty much says it all. Which is weird because in one of his appearances he looked lively and should have scored. Anyway, we have to find a way to get rid of him next season, even if it's on a free transfer. Hopefully Bordeaux come back for him.

A few of the youngsters:

Chuks Aneke
Apps: 28 + 10 Goals: 8
Loan started: January 31
Loan due to end: End of season
Last match: Crewe 2-0 Walsall
League position: 13th in League One

Philip Roberts Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Apps: 9 + 14 Goals: 1
Loan started: August 30
Last match: Motherwell 3-0 Inverness CT
League position: 4th in Scottish Premier League

Wellington
Apps: 1 + 20 Goals: 3
Loan started: August 20
Last match: Ponferradina 1-1 Numancia
League position: 7th in Segunda Division

Samuel Galindo Club Deportivo Lugo
Apps: 2 + 4 Goals: 0
Loan started: February 7
Last match: Wilstermann 7-0 La Paz
League position: 5th in LFBP

http://www.arsenal.com/reserves/arsenal-s-loanees

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Loanees Review  Empty Re: Loanees Review

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri May 24, 2013 1:11 am

If Vermaelen stays and we buy a 4th choice center back, I don't think he will be better than Djourou, that's why I'd rather keep Djourou. I'd like to think that I'm OK with the center backs we have, apart from Squillaci who is not a center back.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Fri May 24, 2013 7:12 am

Nothing short of disastrous in my eyes, not one player doing really well.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Nothing short of disastrous in my eyes, not one player doing really well.

Good point. It would be great if they were all banging in goals or playing well.

Instead, we have to go shopping for quality.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm

It's the first year in a while that I can remember when not one of our loanees made a big impression. Even if that player didn't go on to play for us, there was always a glimmer of hope.

Aneke did alright; he won a cup for Crewe and most of his goals were spectacular from outside the box, but considering it was League 1 it's hard to look much into that especially since he didn't really excel. He will get another go next season out on loan, preferably the Championship.

The club have been ruthless this summer with about 16/17 youth players released, it's good to see. Most never looked likely to make it here and standards need to be raised across the board.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat May 25, 2013 10:17 am

I hope Miyachi comes good. Looks like he has loads of talent.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Sat May 25, 2013 12:34 pm

If we offload Gervinho this summer, I would keep Miyaichi as backup to Podolski/Cazorla. Hopefully, he isn't really as injury-prone as he's been this year.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down