Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gervais

5 posters

Go down

Gervais Empty Gervais

Post by Zaid Derweesh Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Something's been on my mind recently. I feel we might be heading into a situation where we have an overreliance on Gervinho. This worries me: he's hardly the least erratic in our squad, and he hasn't yet proven his quality.

When Giroud starts, we have Poldi on the left and Gervais on the right (unless Wenger chooses Ox or Ramsey, but Gervais is most likely you'd say). That's fine. When Giroud doesn't, we have Gervinho up top. OK. But if Poldi is rested or injured, who would be first choice on the left? Gervinho as well! Also you could argue for Ox and Ramsey, but the same argument applies that Gervinho is probably most likely.

With Theo injured for at least 2 weeks, and probably out in January, and Arshavin also possibly leaving in January, it only adds more pressure on Gervinho to play and perform. True, Arshavin is very bit-part and Walcott isn't starting these days, but they are still moderately able backups who will likely depart, and need to be replaced if Gervinho is not to be relied upon further. I think one player could replace the both of them, but the point is a body would need to come in.

Further to that, Gervinho will go to AFCON. Remember last year? Came back knackered and low on confidence, didn't score or do anything at all the rest of the year.

To summarize, he seems to be first choice backup on the LW and FW positions, as well as first choice on the right (first choice as FW as well possibly?!). He's likely to be overworked, especially with AFCON coming. And him not being the most reliable player as is, it's a cause for concern for me.

One possible solution would be to bring in another striker. Thus, Gervinho wouldn't ever play up top unless we have an injury crisis in that position, and his primary responsibilities would be on the wing. However, if Wenger likes Gervinho as a striker then that won't happen. In which case, another player has to come in on the wings, someone versatile and ready to play a significant amount of minutes immediately (as Gervinho will be off to Africa).

Either way, it seems we need to do some business in January. If Walcott signs a new contract that would be a big boost. If Gnabry is ready to step up to the plate that would also help, but he's young.

Personally I'd like us to sign a striker, and let Gervinho focus on being on the wing. Llorente seems a realistic target to me, but there will be competition.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Gervais Empty Re: Gervais

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:21 pm

If Gervinho got injured, others would step in and step up, we have a good squad and aren't over-reliant on anyone in my opinion.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I think we need a striker. We only have one proper striker, unless you consider CHamakh a striker.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Like Mike said I think our squad is good enough for others to replace Gervinho if needed. Giroud/Podolski/Ox/Theo/Ramsey/Arshavin and we have Rosicky returning. Cazorla can play there if we are desperate. And I wouldn't even mind seeing Ryo (not like he plays much at Wigan)/Gnabry on the bench every now and then to possibly get minutes but can't see it happening this season.

Another proper striker would be nice and Llorente would be quality. Podolski would play well in the centre but I like him on the left as he runs his arse off for the team and defends well too.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Is Llorente still likely to move in January then?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 pm

So I've read. Apparently his contract is up at the end of the season and he won't be signing a new one. And there has been training ground arguments with his manager. Huntelaar is another who is apparently available on the cheap.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I think i'd rather look at Llorente over Huntelaar, I assume alot of clubs will be looking at Llorente but if we did any business in January at all, say Arshavin and Chamakh potentially leave, bringing someone like him in would be good.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 pm

There has been some decent talk of us grabbing a striker in the window....Llorente would be a good addition.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Michael Foster wrote:There has been some decent talk of us grabbing a striker in the window....Llorente would be a good addition.....

I genuinely dont think we will add anything unless players leave. Also part of me is keen to see Walcott given a run through the middle at some point, if he signs an extention.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum