Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corporal Jenkinson

+8
Mario
DaveToffy
Mike York
Zaid Derweesh
Michael Foster
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Samritpal Singh
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Corporal Jenkinson Empty Corporal Jenkinson

Post by Samritpal Singh Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 am

One of the most improved player this season. Some really top notch performance so far. Only 20 years old and last season he looked like he was an amateur footballer, but now look at him. Very happy with his performance.

Gary Neville on Jenkinson : "I don't know him but he looks like a kid that will be willing to run into a brick wall for you."
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Corporal Jenkinson Empty Re: Corporal Jenkinson

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:41 am

Really happy with him so far. Sagna should automatically start when fit if he hasn't lost pace/confidence due to his injuries, but when needed, we shouldn't worry about Jenkinson from now on. On another note, after that interview Sagna had recently, does this mean we're selling him this summer?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:59 am

Got to agree, most improved player this season so far, solid, much quicker sprinter than I thought he was, stronger now, great cross. Really like him and he is a genuine Arsenal fan so its all looking positive.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:18 am

To be brutally honest if we did sell sagna the way jenkinson is coming on I won't be that bothered adding the fact he is an arsenal fan gives him that added 90% he will do everything he can for the team.....the lad has come on leaps and bounds since last season let's see how he is doing come the tail end of the season once the games start getting to the nitty gritty...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:31 pm

I don't want to be THAT guy, but I was never worried about Jenks in the longer term. Glad to see he's coming good quickly though. But he always had most of the elements you look for in right back - fantastic engine, strong, good crosser, never stops running. He had problems with positioning and confidence, but he's getting better with age. He's a hard worker.

Still prefer Sagna over him, just because Sagna is the best RB in the world, but Jenks is becoming a very able backup.

Wonder if we'll see call-ups for Jenks and Gibbs if they continue to play well?

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Agree with Zaid. I liked the look of Jenkinson when I first saw him play for us. He wasn't anywhere near first-team quality back then but you could see that he had good size for a full back, ran his ass off and had a good cross on him. He always had the potential but people were expecting too much of him, which was unfair on him.

Glad to see he is coming along nicely. I did think that a game against City could maybe be too much for him right now but he yet again proved people wrong and was absolutely solid. He is turning into a great player. I prefer Sagna right now but am not worried if Sagna gets injured anymore, and what is better is that Jenkinson is apparently comfortable on both flanks.

I hope he picks England over Finland.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 am

I wonder if it's Per's organization skills and leadership that is making it easier for Jenkinson to perform this well. Walcott can't perform without Sagna, I'd like to see how Carl would do without Mertesacker. I'm definitely not saying the German should be dropped and definitely not taking anything away from the lad who has been great so far.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 am

The part where he out-muscled Lescott to win the ball, and passed perfectly only for Podolski to blast it over the bar... I creamed my pants.

Also, his performance compilation for last night's game is up in the "Player Performances" thread. Enjoy!
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:48 am

Samritpal Singh wrote:The part where he out-muscled Lescott to win the ball, and passed perfectly only for Podolski to blast it over the bar... I creamed my pants.

Also, his performance compilation for last night's game is up in the "Player Performances" thread. Enjoy!
Couldn't believe Podolski didn't at least test the keeper with that opportunity.
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Carl Jenkinson: From gooner to gunner

Carl Jenkinson was an Arsenal fan as a boy so when he joined the club last summer it 'blew him away', he tells Sam Wallace. He's now adapted and is thriving at the Emirates

As an Arsenal fan all his young life, Carl Jenkinson has the same shared memories as many supporters. He can remember his dad driving him and his brother to games and walking across Finsbury Park to Highbury. He liked the cheese bagels they sold at half-time at the old stadium. He was there, as a six-year-old, when Arsène Wenger's team won their first Premier League title in 1998.

The difference between the tens of thousands who watch the team every week and Jenkinson is that the 20-year-old has made that transition from the Highbury stands – in his case, West Stand upper, towards the Clock End – to the team. In the modern Premier League, where the players can feel more distant than ever to the supporters, Jenkinson's story is a throwback to another era.

"I remember the peanut man at Highbury, who would sell them in bags," he says. "Funnily enough, I have never seen him at the Emirates." He has a stone engraved in his late grandfather's memory in Armoury Square outside the stadium. His Arsenal-loyal father, Steve, still has his season tickets at the Emirates, although he has changed his seats so as not to make it awkward for those around him who knew it was his son playing at right-back, and might have wanted to vent their spleen at the team.

Not that there has been much of that this season. It has been a dream start for Jenkinson, signed for £1.2m just 15 months ago from Charlton Athletic, where he was pursued by a number of Premier League clubs. Bacary Sagna's injury has meant a run of six starts in the league and Europe. Jenkinson should be in the team this lunchtime against Chelsea, the weekend's biggest game between two old rivals who have started the season well.

Chelsea were one of the many clubs who tried to sign Jenkinson as a boy, so too Tottenham Hotspur and Wimbledon, but there was only one he was interested in. "When I was playing in five-a-side tournaments my dad would say 'I've got this card from a Chelsea scout today' and I was always waiting for the Arsenal one. It never came."

He joined Charlton as a seven-year-old and developed there along with another Essex prodigy, Jonjo Shelvey. Jenkinson grew up in Buckhurst Hill where, in the summer, he switched from football to athletics and was a formidable 100m and 400m runner. There were also annual trips to Finland, where his mother Hayde comes from, and a country which has played a significant part in his football story.

Hayde comes from the village of Box, 20 miles east of Helsinki in the Swedish-speaking region of the country. She moved to London to work as an au pair, met Steve and ended up staying. Jenkinson and his older brother, Marc, grew up conversing with their mother in Swedish.

Marc has just graduated from Loughborough University with a first-class degree in chemical engineering while Jenkinson is, figuratively speaking, completing the kind of elite higher education that Wenger has provided to so many bright young players. It is fast progress for a footballer who was playing on loan at Eastbourne Borough in the Blue Square Premier just two seasons ago, and Welling United in Conference South the season before that.

There is also the small matter of an England squad being announced on Thursday which, with Glen Johnson suspended for San Marino, the first of the two World Cup qualifiers next month, Jenkinson could well be in contention for. He has played for England at Under-17s level and then Finland at Under-18s, 19s and 21s but has not committed for them at senior level.

"At the moment I am just concentrating on establishing myself at Arsenal and I will cross that bridge when it comes," he says. "That's all I can really say on it. When it comes around I'll have to think and see what I can do." The Finns only discovered his eligibility to play for them when Charlton took a Finnish goalkeeper on trial a few years ago and the player's father, a club chairman, discovered Jenkinson's parentage.

Already, Jenkinson has packed a lot into a short career. At the start of last season he was thrust into the Arsenal team for their Champions League away leg qualifier against Udinese, in which he played well, and then, infamously, for the 8-2 drubbing at Old Trafford in which Jenkinson was sent off. Such a tumultuous start might have damaged a young player but Jenkinson is made of tough stuff.

"The United game was an awful day for the club and myself but it happened," he says. "That is part of my story, I'll never change that but you just get on with things. You can't do anything about the past. I learnt a lot of things about myself. I had to have a look at myself in the mirror after that game and look at what I need to improve. Maybe it has made me a better player in the long run.

"Whenever I have had a bad game my dad has snapped me out of it as quickly as possible and said, 'There is nothing you can do about the past, you can only affect the future.' That is something I have always lived by. It's a bit different when you are playing at the top level because you hear what people say about you and what is said in the press. If you have a bad game at this level you get reminded of it.

"People say I got chucked in at the deep end like it is a bad thing but I was signed to be the second-choice right-back. Sagna was injured. It was my responsibility to play. I should have played and I didn't have a good game, that's life. That's how it was."

It is remarkable to think that the United match on 28 August last year was, including his time at Charlton, only the 13th professional game of Jenkinson's career. He played 10 more times for Arsenal that season, with a stress fracture to his back meaning he was out of action for a long time over Christmas and the new year.

The previous season, 2010-2011, he had broken into Phil Parkinson's Charlton team in December, having returned from the loan spell at Eastbourne. He tells a nice story about his second game for Charlton away at Hartlepool in the league, which was one of those fork-in-the-road moments in the career of a young player.

"It was something I'll never forget. I had only been on the pitch [as a substitute] a few minutes and I did a reckless tackle. Not really bad but it was either a yellow or a red. I still remember walking over to the ref and the linesman passed me. He said: 'Don't worry, I'm going to tell him [the referee] it was only a yellow'.

"I think with everything that was going on, if the lino hadn't said that I would have been sent off, lost my place in the team and the other [Charlton] right-back was only out for a couple of games. By the time I would have come back from suspension he would have been in the team. So I always think I need to find out who that lino was and buy him a beer!"

Before Arsenal signed him last summer he played just nine games for Charlton with many of them at left-back, rather than his favoured right-back, although he feels comfortable on either side. It was the Charlton academy manager, Steve Avory, who converted him from a central midfielder to a centre-back and then to a full-back, seeing in Jenkinson the athleticism and technique that have made him such a good player.

"When Arsenal signed me it blew me away," he says. "It was all a bit of a blur. It was my dream. You always want to play for the club you support. It was just a big shock, more I was so happy that Arsenal had come in and wanted to sign me. There were other big clubs who were interested. None of them would have meant the same. When I knew Arsenal were interested there was only one place I wanted to go."

As a boy, Jenkinson was at Highbury to see Arsenal win that title in 1998 and he was there in May 2004 when Arsenal completed their unbeaten, title-winning season against Leicester City. He was one of the thousands who attended the victory parades in Islington. "I have loads of different memories and they are nice memories, because it was a really nice day out for me, dad and my brother.

"It is weird to think I was one of the supporters two years ago. When you are a fan, especially when you are young, you are so distant and you look upon the players like 'Wow'. I was playing for Charlton but from being a fan to becoming a player was a very short space of time. From looking at them as heroes and idols to becoming one of their team-mates. It was really strange at first. As time goes by, you just adapt."

My other life

My favourite film by a mile is 'The Shawshank Redemption'. It's captivating. I like prison dramas, like 'Prison Break', and 'Shawshank Redemption' is the crème de le crème of prison dramas.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/carl-jenkinson-from--gooner--to-gunner-8190412.html

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Jenkinson's stone at the Emirates says: "Grandad, Hope You'r Proud, Carl Jenkinson" Sam had the picture posted on Facebok the other day.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:Jenkinson's stone at the Emirates says: "Grandad, Hope You'r Proud, Carl Jenkinson" Sam had the picture posted on Facebok the other day.

Corporal Jenkinson 552733_10151275581852275_2016548910_n

This one.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes, that one. Love it!

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 pm

It has been reported that Arsenal fullback Carl Jenkinson is committed to England.

The Daily Star Sunday claims that the Arsenal youngster will snub Mixu ­Paatelainen’s offer to represent Finland and hold out for an England call-up.

Arsenal right-back Jenkinson, 20, is wanted by Finland boss Paatelainen but Three Lions chief Roy Hodgson has hinted the young Gunner may yet be in his plans.

Hodgson said: “I am aware Finland are after Jenkinson. I spoke to Mixu and he mentioned it. But he’s on our radar and someone we’re keen to explore.”

http://www.totalfootballmadness.com/2012/10/08/arsenal-fullback-carl-jenkinson-reject-finland-for-england-call-up/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Very happy with this lad. He has done well. I had doubts about his technical ability and his mental strength. But the way he has adapted to the PL is a testament to his never give up attitude. He is a born athlete and if he improves technically then we will have a monster RB.
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 pm

I'd rather he played for Finland, and stayed away from the toxic England set up.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 pm

As we all know, the young right-back had a torrid start to his Arsenal career after being thrown in the deep-end due to an injury crisis Arsenal suffered in the full-back positions last year.

Showing great character however, the young Englishman/Finn has bounced back extremely well this term putting in solid performances for Arsenal this campaign and seemingly improving with every performance.

The immense improvement Jenkinson has shown has not gone unnoticed recently prompting England coach Gary Neville to reveal he is being closely watched by Roy Hodgson and co, while also receiving high praise from his mentor and fellow Arsenal team-mate Bacary Sagna.

Gary Neville is quoted as saying by Goal.com:

Carl Jenkinson has improved immeasurably over the last 12 months.

It was very difficult for him at the start of his Arsenal career last year because of the changes in the defence, there was never a settled defence for him to perform in.

But you look at the way he’s performing now and he’s been magnificent for Arsenal in the early stages of the season.

England have good options at right-back with Glen Johnson and Kyle Walker, and others as well, but he’s definitely someone who is being watched continuously; he’s definitely catching the eye.

Bacary Sagna is quoted as saying by official website Arsenal.com:

He has been really good, and has learned a lot. He is a bit more confident with the ball, and is very solid as a defender.

He brings a lot to the team, and I am very happy for him because he is a hard worker, a very good guy and is going to be one of the best.

First things first, you have to congratulate the youngster for showing the character to turn around what was a terrible start to his Arsenal career. It would have been difficult trying to eradicate the image many critics and fans branded him with last year.

The rate of his improvement has also been extraordinary after only being approximately a year at Arsenal. While he is probably not at the level required at national level just yet, you would think based on recent performances that he will be on that level soon enough as stated by Sagna.

There are certainly more things for the youngster to learn and more experience to be gained. There have been times this season where he has on occasion been caught out of position, but consistency will obviously come with more match-time. So far, however, he has been extremely solid looking at his performances holistically!

http://allarsenal.com/news/england-hopeful-jenkinson-receives-high-praise-neville-sagna/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 am

Apparently been training with the England squad this week.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 pm

He is showing so much promise right now that Sagna will have to come back tip top to get his shirt straight back, two solid players at right back and can also see Jenkinson used off the bench in the advanced right position with ten minutes to go to close games out, is very comfortable on the ball.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 am

Carl Jenkinson - Pride

Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Love this guy

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Arsene Wenger has admitted it was a tough decision to leave Carl Jenkinson out of Saturday’s game with QPR but has been quick to praise the youngster for the progress he’s made this season.

The return of Bacary Sagna gave the manager a selection dilemma and it was the Frenchman’s greater experience which won the day. Sagna put in a very good performance but Arsene Wenger admits Jenkinson, who will play tonight against Reading the Capital One Cup, has really given him something to think about.

“It was a tough decision, very tough,” he said. “The team was a bit low in confidence and I felt experience at the back could help. Of course Bacary Sagna has an advantage on Jenkinson in experience.

“But I am very, very happy and thrilled with what Jenkinson has done until now and he will play again this season of course.”

Having endured a difficult baptism at Arsenal, including that traumatic day at Old Trafford, Jenkinson was further hindered by a stress fracture in his back, meaning he missed out on a spell of first team football last season.

This time around, however, he took full advantage of Sagna’s absence to show the manager he’s got two right backs to choose from, something that’s not lost on Wenger.

“I would like to give credit to Carl,” he continued. “What he has done is extremely promising and he is so young, so where he is now at his age now is fantastic.

“Two years ago he was playing in League One, and where he is now is fantastic.”

As long as he’s fit Sagna remains the first choice at the moment, he’s one of the best right backs in Europe, but even he took time to praise the Arsenal supporting youngster who will provide real competition and add depth to the first team squad as the season goes on.

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/10/wenger-where-jenkinson-is-now-is-fantastic/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+Arsenal+news+site%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:45 pm

A day in the life: Carl Jenkinson
In the Official Arsenal Magazine, Arsenal's first-team stars tell us about their daily routine. Read on to find out more about a day in the life of Carl Jenkinson!

What time do you usually get up in the morning?
At about half past eight.

What's your first drink of the day?
I’m boring – it’s normally just a glass of water.

What do you usually eat for breakfast?
Normally a croissant, a banana and a Muller light yoghurt.

Do you read the newspaper?
Not really, no.

Before heading to training, is there anything else that you generally do?
I just wash and brush my teeth, and that’s it.

How long does it take you to drive to the training ground?
About 35 minutes depending on the M25.

And what car do you drive there?
A BMW 3 Series.

Do you listen to music in the car?
I listen to the radio and my iPod – I love listening to music. If it’s the radio, I usually have Kiss 100, Choice FM or Magic FM on.

Do you always travel on your own?
Yes, I do.

Are you usually one of the first to training – or one of the last?
One of the first, I reckon.

What do you keep in your locker?
Not much – just cosmetics, my trainers and my flip flops.

On the training pitches, do you have any special warm up routines?
I tend to have a good stretch before I go out, because I’m sometimes quite stiff.

What aspect of training do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy the passing drills that we do.

Which team-mate do you think is the best trainer?
I’d say Mikel Arteta – he’s really professional.

After training what do you take into the shower?
Shampoo and a towel.

Who do you tend to sit with at lunch?
It depends to be honest – I’m happy to eat with whoever’s about.

Do you always go straight home after training – if not where might you go?
Sometimes I go to a nice Italian restaurant in Radlett for lunch, if I’m not eating at the training ground, but I tend to go straight home.

What do you tend to do when you get home?
I usually chill out for a couple of hours, perhaps watching a bit of TV.

What time do you eat dinner?
At about half six, maybe 7pm.

Tell us three things that you might do in the evening?
Go to see my friends, go to the cinema, or just stay at home.

What's the last thing you do before going to bed?
I don’t know really – probably brush my teeth.

What time do you go to bed?
I’m normally asleep by 11pm.

And in bed, do you tend to read, watch TV, listen to music or go straight to sleep?
Usually I mess about on my laptop for half an hour or so, and then I’m tired enough to sleep.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/a-day-in-the-life-carl-jenkinson
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 am

These guys get millions to have such an easy life? We have to work work work and then find some time to train to relax. These guys get tired of training. On another note, not really surprised to hear that Arteta is the one who takes training most seriously.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:50 am

Jenkinson's acceptance into English football is a go!!! He lines up with the next squad for the next game......

Let the pressure mount.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next