Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal don't fear Euro miss

+9
fkamil
Jonathan Prendergast
Zaid Derweesh
Jenson Pais
Jason Morrison
Mark Bennett
Liam Bermingham
Sami Rockfeller
luke_kennedy
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal don't fear Euro miss Empty Arsenal don't fear Euro miss

Post by luke_kennedy Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists it would not be a disaster if the Gunners missed out on qualifying for the UEFA Champions League this season.

Defeat at Swansea on Sunday has left the North Londoners fifth in the Premier League and four points adrift of nearest rivals Chelsea.
They host champions Manchester United on Sunday knowing they cannot afford to drop any more points if they want to stay in contention for a European spot.

Defeat at the Emirates could see them drop into seventh place if other results do not go their way.
The Gunners have qualified for the Champions League in all of Arsene Wenger's full seasons in charge.

But after showing uneven form this season, Hill-Wood is preparing for the eventuality of Arsenal not booking a spot in Europe's top club competition.

"We are hanging on in there, no more," he told the Daily Star of the club's current position.

"From a financial point of view, not qualifying for the Champions League is quite a blow.

"We have been planning for not qualifying every year, so it's not a disaster, but it would be nice if we could."

luke_kennedy
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Arsenal don't fear Euro miss Empty Re: Arsenal don't fear Euro miss

Post by luke_kennedy Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm

"We are hanging on in there, no more,"

"We have been planning for not qualifying every year, so it's not a disaster, but it would be nice if we could."

by these quotes in liking the ambition of our chairman.can safely say no signings due as we are 'planning' not to qualify

luke_kennedy
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Why can't Hill Wood just shut the fuck up? We know what kind of situation our club is in, he doesn't need to spew bullshit and cause more media turmoil.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Is this part of the reason why we never splash out on 'world class' signings?
Liam Bermingham
Liam Bermingham
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Bennett Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 pm

I think its fair to say that the club has no ambition based on these quotes.

We cannot expect any signings this Summer, let alone January!!!!

How can we expect RVP to sign a new contract based on this?
Mark Bennett
Mark Bennett
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by luke_kennedy Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:22 am

this is the same bloke who said why would Cesc Fabregas leave us to be a bit part player at Barca

luke_kennedy
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Bennett Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 am

What can fans do to change the way the club is being run?

I dont think it matters what we do - we have been seeing the gradual dilution of our squad for years - it is finally upon us.

Its sad to say that i really cannot see any positives for Arsenal in the near future besides a healthy balance sheet.
Mark Bennett
Mark Bennett
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Bennett Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 am

I cant wait for Man Utd on sunday - i really want to see what the crowd are like at the begining and how they react to any changes in score line. Frankly, i cant say im excited to watch the game as i just can't be optimistic after losing to Fulham and Swansea.
Mark Bennett
Mark Bennett
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:34 am

Who needs trophies when we got a healthy balance sheet:)

This clearly proves its not Wenger or atleast not just him who's being stingy! Clearly this is what the board expects of Arsenal, to just qualify for CL! Our board really seems to be a bunch of money grabbing cunts! No ambition for our club!
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by luke_kennedy Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:02 am

Jason Morrison wrote:Who needs trophies when we got a healthy balance sheet:)

This clearly proves its not Wenger or atleast not just him who's being stingy! Clearly this is what the board expects of Arsenal, to just qualify for CL! Our board really seems to be a bunch of money grabbing cunts! No ambition for our club!

they dont even expect champions league thats the scary thing!wouldnt a 6m Samba, 12m Podolski generate more excitment of a turnaround,better prize money for higher finish,champs league spot?for sake of 17m that you will make by end of season and champs lg qualifying.
Wilshere back in feb but if we have no ambition we mayaswell give him the rest of the season off!

luke_kennedy
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 am

luke_kennedy wrote:

they dont even expect champions league thats the scary thing!wouldnt a 6m Samba, 12m Podolski generate more excitment of a turnaround,better prize money for higher finish,champs league spot?for sake of 17m that you will make by end of season and champs lg qualifying.
Wilshere back in feb but if we have no ambition we mayaswell give him the rest of the season off!

Exactly, whats most annoying is that our board spouts bullshit like we have money for any players the manager wants yet their ambition is to NOT even qualify for CL??
and if they DID have ambition, which they don't, and it was all wenger that doesn't want to sign anyone. Then surely the board should have balls and show some ambition and get someone else to sign some good players for us via information from our "amazing scouting network"!

I can't wait for Wenger's biography after hr retires to know whether it was the board tying his hands.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:45 am

Jason Morrison wrote:
luke_kennedy wrote:

Exactly, whats most annoying is that our board spouts bullshit like we have money for any players the manager wants yet their ambition is to NOT even qualify for CL??
and if they DID have ambition, which they don't, and it was all wenger that doesn't want to sign anyone. Then surely the board should have balls and show some ambition and get someone else to sign some good players for us via information from our "amazing scouting network"!

I can't wait for Wenger's biography after hr retires to know whether it was the board tying his hands.

Wenger has spent money. He spent a lot on Reyes and Wiltord. They weren't cheap back in the day by any standards. Jeffers also cost a lot and that move must have burnt Wenger's hands. But still Wenger will spend if the player is quality. We have seen a lot of penny pinching once the Stadium was being built. But the board are a bunch of cowards to hide behind Wenger when it comes to the transfers. At one point they say there is money to be spent and now this.
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:42 pm

na na na na na na na na na na
health balance sheets, balance sheets
heeeealthy balance sheeets!

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Jason Morrison wrote:

In terms of how much Wenger's hands are tied, I think it was in June or so, he said that the major obstacle is not so much transfer fees, but the wages players are demanding.

Once you start paying 1 player huge wages, it can spiral out of control. I think Wenger and the Board equally want to keep that under control.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Mark Bennett wrote:I think its fair to say that the club has no ambition based on these quotes.

I don't think that is a fair conclusion. As misguided as the comments are, the intention is to reassure fans, that if we miss out we will still be strong. The club's plans (investment in players) do not solely rely on champions league. We can still improve without champions league money.

However, as suggested by many others, it would be better if he didn't say that stuff. Look at the posts following on this thread by sensible fans. Can imagine the outrage by the more alarmist fans!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by fkamil Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:03 pm

very poor leadership. should have just kept his mouth shut
fkamil
fkamil
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Jason Morrison wrote:

In terms of how much Wenger's hands are tied, I think it was in June or so, he said that the major obstacle is not so much transfer fees, but the wages players are demanding.

Once you start paying 1 player huge wages, it can spiral out of control. I think Wenger and the Board equally want to keep that under control.

But shouldn't it be expected that better players get better wages even from the players themselves? So discontent amongst players because of wages shouldn't be an issue, you only pay your very best high wages(Van Persie), and if they're not willing to re-sign for what the club thinks is best then they should be sold or fuckoff ala Flamini/Nasri. but i do get your point, I think its all city,chelsea,madrid, etc fault for fucking up wages and transfer fees paid. Just because these clubs pay a lot every club selling thinks they should sell at the prices city would pay for. but its noy like we expect Arsenal to sign the likes of Ronaldo or messi, just some really good players that will improve our team that falls apart every season, they don't have to be famous, just really good(vermaelen, sagna for eg.). 10-20mil signings, surely we can find some good ones out there considering we're supposed to have one of the best scouting networks in the world.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 am

The board themselves have no ambition, coupled with Wenger's penny pinching nature we are bound to struggle to get top 4. If we fall out of top4 then we will have to spend to get back into top 4.

We are better off trying to spend now then next season !!
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Chouest III Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:58 am

We have given up...

Jeff Chouest III
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 am

What he is saying is obviously a good thing. The other option is that we are not prepared for a season out of the Champions League, which is what happened to Leeds.

It's easy to scoff at the idea of having a healthy balance sheet but it's incredibly important. More important than trophies.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan Mullins Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 am

The lack of ambition is a bit worrying. But, when we talk about being "competitive" are we talking on the pitch or financially? Unfortunately we've been coming up short on the pitch for the last 5 or so years when it counts. We're an incredibly well run club, but with financial doping its hard to compete for the signatures of top-top players. While they rack up immensely talented squads full of proven internationals, we have to supplement our stars with unproven (although talented) youngsters.

The amount of money that comes into the game now is incredibly frustrating as an Arsenal supporter. We play a beautiful game but as a squad its just incredibly hard to compete with the riches of a United, City, or Chelsea who can replace their world-class talent with more world-class talent and can pay the wages to keep those players. Hopefully FFP is able to alleviate some of our problems of financial competitiveness.
Evan Mullins
Evan Mullins
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:43 am

I'm not sure FFP will change much. There is a way to go round a rule in pretty much everything and I don't think this will be different.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:17 am

What about if you stab someone in the face in a police station?
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:20 am

Well, I should have used "sometimes" instead of "pretty much everything". Even then, you can go round it if you are a powerful person with many contacts.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:23 am

Coming back to the FFP topic though, haven't Man City gone round that rule already by signing some sponsorship with a company owned by their owner?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next