Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal v Everton

+4
Andreas Wæhre
Subrat Koirala
Vanig Bostanian
Jonathan Prendergast
8 posters

Go down

Arsenal v Everton Empty Arsenal v Everton

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 am

4pm UK time, Sunday the 8th of December

Hopefully Sagna is back. Flamini has a groin which is a worry.

My predicted line up:

-------- SZCZ ---------
Sagna -- Per -- Verm -- Gibbs
---- Jack ---- Arteta ------
-------- Ramsey ---------
Theo -- Giroud -- Ros

Bench: Ozil, Kos, Nacho, Santi, Nick
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Everton Empty Re: Arsenal v Everton

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 am

Theo didn't start against Hull due to illness, so could start against Everton.

Bryan Oviedo has scored 2 goals in the past 2 games, including the winner at United. He is filling in for Leighton Baines at left back. Maybe Theo could put him under pressure?

Ramsey came off with 11 mins, where as Ozil stayed on, which could indicate Ramsey will start against Everton.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Old man Sagna still out, for Everton and Napoli.

If Jenkinson starts, then I think Theo and Verm won't. Maybe Cazorla and Ros as the attacking midfielders.

-------- SZCZ ---------
Jenk -- Per -- Kos -- Gibbs
---- Jack ---- Arteta ------
Ros ---- Ramsey --- Santi
---- Giroud -----

Bench: Ozil, TV, Nacho, Nick
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:09 am

Chelsea lost and City drew (could have easily lost, Southampton were the better team), we should win. It is a big game tomorrow, Everton are in very good form, but so are we. If our defense continues to be organized, then I can see a tough, but efficient 2-0 win. Not sure how I will leave Monreal out of this but here it goes:
Szczesny
Jenkinson Koscielny Mertesacker Gibbs
Ramsey Arteta Ozil
Theo Giroud Santi
Bench: Rosicky, Vermaelen, Monreal, Fabianski, Bendtner

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:21 am

For Per Mertesacker, “being Arsenal” is not simply about the mature, frequently elegant football they are playing this season. For the tall, intelligent centre-half, “being Arsenal” is also about spending a day researching the plight of refugees, coaching those who felt the world had abandoned them and then donating a day’s wages to charity. “Being Arsenal makes me proud,’’ said Mertesacker.

He had read up on the individual stories of the 20 torture survivors that he and Mesut Özil coached on Monday afternoon on the Cruyff Court, Islington, north London. Mertesacker learned how they had fled their home-lands across the world after being given electric shocks, been struck with rifle butts and kept in isolation, trying to break their will.

He listened as they talked of how their confidence was being rebuilt by these weekly sessions organized by the Arsenal Foundation and Freedom from Torture, a medical foundation treating 1,200 refugees in the UK. “It’s really hard to imagine what happened to them,’’ said Mertesacker. “They just want to forget. You could see in their bright eyes their joy of playing football together. As professional footballers we have a responsibility. We have the power, the platform and the money to really help people.

“Being Arsenal makes me proud not only as a footballer on the pitch but also part of this Foundation work. Arsenal stands for tradition. I feel the class of the people here at Arsenal, good people. Arsenal have a history of doing great things for the community. Arsenal have never forgotten their roots. I stand for that as well.’’

The 29-year-old has his own foundation, raising funds for charitable projects after the death of his former Hannover 96 team-mate Robert Enke, who stepped in front of a train. “That was absolutely horrible. I couldn’t believe what happened. Robert and I were good friends. Time goes by but…well, it’s just good to think about Robert from time to time, remembering the great times we had together. I try to put something back.

“Sometimes the image of footballers is not always the best. When I started, I always promised myself to be honest, to stay myself, to prepare for difficulties and overcome them. I took these principles from my parents. My mother is a secretary at a school and my father works in a bank.

“They always supported me in a good way. When my parents came to games, they never shouted, they just kept calm. When I was 15, my father said: ‘You’re not going to be a professional player.’ My mother said: ‘Take it as a hobby, do your schoolwork and then we see what happens.’ I felt ‘OK, no pressure, I’ll just enjoy my football and if it doesn’t work I’ll study sports’. My parents always kept me grounded, kept me humble. That’s what made me feel not too important, not a shiny superstar.’’

For Mertesacker, “being Arsenal” began aged 10 when he visited an aunt who was living in England. She took him and one of his two brothers to a shop. “I grabbed the Arsenal shirt and my brother grabbed the Man United shirt. There was always a rivalry between ManU and Arsenal and always big rivalry between us as brothers. I actually have two shirts, the JVC one, home and away. There are pictures of me playing in the shirt, aged 10 or 12. I liked Tony Adams. But it was hard for me to chose one role model. It made me feel good just ‘being Arsenal’. I’ve always wanted to be in touch with Arsenal, have a little relationship between us. It was a big thing when Arsenal first called me. I said to myself: ‘I have to go. I have the shirt’.’’

Mertesacker signed in 2011 from Werder Bremen, forcing his brother to surrender his United affiliations. “He has switched completely now. From time to time, he gets on the bus at the Emirates and goes to away games. He doesn’t introduce himself as my brother. He just badly wants an adventure. He likes the fan culture, the passion. He’s made some friends on buses. He just wants to be an away fan and support Arsenal.’’

It cannot have been easy early on. Mertesacker struggled, making errors, caught out by quick strikers. “As a defender, it’s about seeing situations as early as possible, especially in England where the speed is really high, more than in Germany. I had a lot of difficulties to start with. I kept mistakes with me all the next day. I always ask myself: ‘what happened?’ But in every single second the Boss Arsène Wenger supported me when I suffered or made a few mistakes. He said: ‘you have to cope quickly and respond to the criticism’. He trusted me.’’

Even in that troubled first year, Mertesacker never regretted moving to England. “No, never. I always had faith that I had the qualities to be a regular in a Premier League team. It was a hard fight but at the end I’m really proud. I now have the nose and can smell the danger. I now know when my partner (Laurent Koscielny) needs me to cover him.

“It’s made me a better footballer. I anticipate and read the game even more because I maybe don’t have the pace. I have to get by on my own qualities. I don’t know never if it (pace) is needed to be a better player. When you compare me to Laurent he is more the mobile quick player. You need players like that and others like me with the organisation, the communication and anticipation.”

Mertesacker loves the mix of skills, the defensive strengths and attacking guile in Arsenal, and believes trophies will come. “Our team is a big melting pot with a lot of qualities thrown in. I really think we can get something out of that big pot. With that pot we think we can win every single game. Mesut has this special touch. He produces special moments. He has settled very quickly, adapted well, and there’s more to come from Mesut in the next months. He’s not at his best at the moment.

“It is good to see the great passing. Jack Wilshere had a serious injury so he needs his time. Everyone is very cautious about Jack. Take some time. Let him do his job. He’s a great footballer. He keeps the ball well, he goes deep, and he can finish as well. We are delighted with him at Arsenal. Of course he would get in the German squad! He is the type of player that every team would like to have, he can play different positions. At the moment, he is playing on the right wing to cope with Theo (Walcott) injured.

“Theo’s a great guy. There were a lot of rumours about his situation but you could see he was really happy to extend his contract here. He likes to be in Arsenal’s dressing-room. He’s well known with his pace and finishing qualities. Olivier Giroud improved a lot with how he fights for the ball, the way he positions his body. It’s unbelievable for me how he has improved. He’s a really special player; in possession he can cope with every situation.

“There are a lot of players who want to stand up and say ‘we want to create something special’. Mathieu Flamini, Aaron Ramsey. You can go through the whole squad. It’s fantastic. When you score goals consistently like Ramsey, it’s just amazing his contribution. Arsenal took him from Cardiff - there was always big belief in his footballing qualities. A year ago, a lot of people doubted him. ‘Not consistent enough’, ‘not good enough’. But the manager knew Ramsey is a player who is really intelligent enough to cope with difficulties, with his mistakes. He works really hard and is a good lad as well.’’

Ramsey was even applauded by Cardiff fans when scoring against them last weekend. “I asked him before the game: ‘It would be crazy if they boo you at Cardiff as well as at Swansea.’ He didn’t know what would happen. He thought maybe it (booing) can happen. It was really surprising and so respectful when the clapped him. Ramsey is such a kind person that he deserves that.

“I don’t know whether that would have happened in Germany. I played with Marko Marin at Werder Bremen. He went back to Borussia Moenchengladbach, the club that developed him, and they booed him. That’s football. That’s the business.’’

He understands the business, even in a friendly dressing-room like Arsenal. “There’s not ‘friendship’ but we are good mates, good team-mates. Everyone has to take care of his wife and children. There are a lot of parents in the team.’’

Mertesacker lives with Ulrike Stange, an international handballer, and their young son. “I come from Germany and am not used to this busy, busy Christmas period which is unbelievable. My phones goes and it is former team-mates ringing from Dubai. What am I doing! It is strange, strange, strange from a family perspective. It was really hard to realise there’s no easing off, no traditional meal. But I can cope. I’m really proud that I have the opportunity to play and play because the career will stop one day. It’s a long, hard season with big games to come and the table will be tight.’’

This season is huge for club and country, particularly with the World Cup. He has a message for England. “The English talk too much about penalties. There’s a new generation coming through but penalties are always mentioned again and again. The English like the German mentality: focused and disciplined. That is what the English want to be, especially football-wise in summers.

“We’ve been consistent, second, third, fourth but it’s not enough. Before we had 11-13 players; now we have a lot more players who can make the difference. Our team for the World Cup is going to be very good. Everyone wants that title. We have a special mentality and, if everyone is fit, we have a good chance to win.

“We have great quality now. We are well-respected. When I came to Arsenal I didn’t expect to be well-respected but I was immediately made to feel comfortable. I felt supported. The fans sing that I’m a ‘Big f***** German’. I was really surprised. I was not sure about it, about what it meant. But I know it’s affectionate so I will go with it! I hope to hear it again and again. I love ‘being Arsenal’.’’
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10501748/Per-Mertesacker-says-I-am-proud-to-be-part-of-the-Arsenal-tradition-ahead-of-Evertons-visit-to-Emirates-Stadium.html
He's the Big Fucking German alright

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Absolutely pumped up for this. Dropping points won't be damaging, but it can't be said enough how much a win (and a 7 points lead) will boost our morale and help us tactically for the City and Chelsea games.

Predicted XI :

Szcz
Jenks Per Kos Gibbs
Arteta Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Santi
Giroud

COYG !
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas Wæhre Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 pm

I think Jack will start this game, instead of Walcott.. Jack played 15 mins against Hull and has shown great form of late.
Who Wenger will pick from Gibbs or Monreal is diffucult to say.. Monreal has been really very good when he has come on, and against Hull... But what a nice problem for Wenger!

Only questionmark for me is Jenkinson.. But he had a good game against Hull

And yeah.. 7 point would be massive!

Andreas Wæhre
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:38 pm

is flamini fit to play ?? id definately start with an axis of flamini and arteta if he is fit.
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Game day!

Kinda feels like. Our biggest game of the season so far.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 am

Hard game today.....just hope Everton are spent out from the united game!!

I would quite happily take a point from this but I do fancy a 2-0 win for us...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:26 am

We've given the ball away half a dozen times but trying to play our way out of trouble from deep.

Everton could punish us if it continues, can't help thinking we're being a bit too casual.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:20 am

Bring Rosicky and Walcott on?

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 am

No one bar Dortmund have pressed us so high as Everton did in the first half. But we're starting to get those one touch passes accurately in the final third. We absolutely need the 1st goal.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 am

Yeah, Walcott should come on.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:58 am

Fair result. They dominated possession, we created more clear cut chances. Giroud was unlucky at the end. Would have certainly loved to win the home game and extend our lead to seven, but a five point lead isn't exactly the end of the world. We can get results against both City and Chelsea, even if it doesn't necessarily mean 2 wins. Still top of the league and with an even bigger margin than we started the week with so we can't rally complain. On to the next game.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:03 am

Thought Jack and Ramsey were not too great, Wenger would have done better by starting both Flamini and Arteta and Theo on the right. Koscielny was MOTM for me. What a monster! Jenkinson had an OK game and maybe it's time to see Nacho man more often? Some people are faulting Gibbs for their goal, I'm certainly not, sometimes you have to credit an opponent for good work, but he didn't have the best of games even if he was still very good. Another solid performance from Wojciech.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 am

Exciting game to say the least. As I said before, a point not so damaging and we are 5 points clear. A win today would have been magnificient, but I believe no team goes out without a dream of winning (bar rare circumstances). Just ask Chelsea. Today was the day (and I hope not many days as today this season) when we've got to put our hands up and say Everton deserved the point. And so did we. Could yet be a vital point come the end of the season. Stay clear or stay within touching distance of the summit till around May and this team has what it takes to win the league this year. Whether we need a new striker or not is for another day, but if we can go into the new year with still a lead at the top, and with other teams fumbling around us, we have a very good chance.
The best thing about today was to see Rosicky and Walcott come on from the bench. They'd arguably start for any top 6 team, and to think of the players coming back and Cazorla yet to hit his form, as nervous I'm for the next couple of weeks, things are looking very good !
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:13 am

Vanig Bostanian wrote:Fair result. They dominated possession, we created more clear cut chances. Giroud was unlucky at the end. Would have certainly loved to win the home game and extend our lead to seven, but a five point lead isn't exactly the end of the world. We can get results against both City and Chelsea, even if it doesn't necessarily mean 2 wins. Still top of the league and with an even bigger margin than we started the week with so we can't rally complain. On to the next game.
agreed ! Even if we draw both games against City and Chelsea, we may drop 2 points but City and chelsea will too, hence they can't go past us in the table. Like I've said many times, winning against big teams is good points, but not dropping points *frequently against the teams outside top 4 is what wins league titles.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 am

Vanig Bostanian wrote:Thought Jack and Ramsey were not too great, Wenger would have done better by starting both Flamini and Arteta and Theo on the right. Koscielny was MOTM for me. What a monster! Jenkinson had an OK game and maybe it's time to see Nacho man more often? Some people are faulting Gibbs for their goal, I'm certainly not, sometimes you have to credit an opponent for good work, but he didn't have the best of games even if he was still very good. Another solid performance from Wojciech.
I've quite often thought this season that starting Jack in the attacking three upsets the balance of the side. I would rather have Rosicky there.

He's not particularly quick going forward or back and that part of the pitch is filled with aggressive physical players. I think we still need to strengthen that element of our side, even with Flamini coming back this season. I think Rosicky has done better for us there this season.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 am

What a game. First half, I felt the teams cancelled each other out with the high intensity and pressing far up the field. Nobody could get their game going or a couple of passes together but when things did open up a bit it really got interesting. It was balls to the wall at times for teams today. Lukaku is one strong mofo, can't believe that someone can be so strong at such a young age (football-wise).
Fair result, everybody dropped points except the scousers so it isn't a fuck up. Nor would a striker have changed things much, it was just that type of a game. How lovely it would have been to see that Giroud effort go in, poor guy, it looked in...
Absolutely thrilled at the initiative the whole club is putting into every game and all that. The entire club is revitalised, as if they've smelled something tasty. Wenger throwing on three players, all of which could walk into practically any side in the league. Not to mention we got Poldi and Ox to come back, and Diaby if you feel like counting him in.
On top of all that, Cazorla is still to hit top form, Jenkinson coped much better than Gibbs today. Only quarrel is with Gibbs and Sczeszny, a little sloppy, drops in concentration but I'm sure they'll sort it out.
Really classy match, awesome competitiveness all round.
Now onward to Napoli! To anyone going, take care and enjoy!
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 am

Fantastic match. Competitive battle. A win, and 7 point lead, really would have been something. But can't complain, Everton were good and deserved a point.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down