Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nacho Monreal - Is it Enough?

+13
Jenks1981
Jonathan Prendergast
Marko Maksimović
jason.mandryk
Meshaal
Michael Schatzky
Hisham El Mawan
pwoodman1
Michael Foster
Subrat Koirala
Vanig Bostanian
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Mario
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nacho Monreal - Is it Enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Nacho Monreal - Is it Enough?

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

"A move to the Gunners almost happened in the summer and Monreal has since been learning English."
From goal.com
So it wasn't a "just-like-that" buy.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Well, at least we don't have to worry about either full back position now. 2 good choices on either side.

I like our depth and overall squad. But if we want to challenge, we need a couple of top top players to bring the rest up to the next level.

We would never get him, but can you imagine what Schweinsteiger could do for this team?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Personally, a Centre Back is the one position I would look at now, none of ours have stepped up to be the player we need, we looked at Jagielka a few seasons ago I remember, what a player he could have been for us.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:Personally, a Centre Back is the one position I would look at now, none of ours have stepped up to be the player we need, we looked at Jagielka a few seasons ago I remember, what a player he could have been for us.

Surely he regrets sticking with Everton. He'd have ambitions to play Champions League surely? To be playing in Munich in a couple of weeks?

Anyway, I have faith that Per, TV and Kos will come good. Kos especially.The great back 5 of the 90's didn't happen overnight and didn't have rough times along the way.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 pm

But they all seemed to have more passion, more determination, were more vocal, seemed to care more than our current CB's. They just dont convince me but I hope your right.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 am

The difference was with now and then is that under Graham they worked hours every single day on defending in training. You read books from those involved with Arsenal at the time and they will tell you that even though the team/defence found it tedious, they would spend hours working on something until they perfected it, whether it be the offside trap, a certain set piece, whatever.

That doesn't happen now so it's no surprise our defending is not up to scratch.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:31 am

I think going back to the days of our old guard the game has changed so much playing the old step up solid line to catch players offside is a dangerous choice...players are lightning quick compared to years ago....but I will say the logic in strict training developing defensive duties should continue..it seams most teams use and will change more the idea of defensive getting into the attacking side more..defenders are no longer just the last line but an extra 4 in attack....

I also feel we need something else at the back the choices we now have at RB and LB are great but kos,verm and mert don't really seam to get on as a unit no mater what who we play....kos really needs games and I have no doubt he will be an absolute cracking defender and now the left appears to be more solid all be it one game under his belt..these stupid mistakes might actually start to be mopped up and eradicated all together...
Big ol mert would be my first big hit at working on he looks to flustered and the slightest hint of an attack...his passing from back on the edge of our area at times is rushed and wayward...seen to many times,...that said we don't seam to have an out and out leader at the back TV is capitan and chief but yet does not seam to be calling the shots...in some bizarre way a lay off for him and the armband passed to arteta I think could benefit the whole team...show verm what he should be doing and give the guy a break also..I think he could benefit from it.....still only 27 in defender terms only really coming into it has a bit more to learn,have a break come back fresh knuckle down challenge your game and the players around you and step it up...

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 am

I believe that if the team as a whole start to perform better, the defence will start to look a lot better. And as suggested by Michael, stronger full backs will help the centre backs. Dixon and Winterburn were key parts of the defense.

I agree with Mario, that I wonder if the team works as hard on defence as it did under Graham. I hope so, and it should.

I mentioned Schweinsteiger earlier, but maybe the most important player that could be added to the team would be a fit Diaby. I have previously been very critical of his temperament, but I believe in him now. One day...
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm

On the plus side, atleast we don't have to worry about signing that Cavani fellow anymore Smile

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Mario's point is that it is only through repetition that we will improve, the training under AW just doesn't seem to have this attention to detail. Someone on here is bound to say that we don't know, but listening to journalists with more inside knowledge like Phillipe Auclair and Amy Lawrence, their views certainly seem to confirm this.

Not enough attention to detail and simply not enough tactical discipline. Whether playing offside trap or not (we already do, it's rather important when you want to play higher up the pitch), I don't even think that's the most significant problem.

- The full-backs will always be subordinate to the centre-backs, it's they who determine the posture of the whole back-line, of course under the manager's ahem guidance.
- The defensive shape of the team has never been weaker under AW. For a manager to have the wisdom to sign two beasts like Vieira and Petit, he now resorts to having Santi Cazorla track a rampaging Suarez when Liverpool counter-attacked at the Emirates - that is simply unforgivable. All the rumours about M'Vila may have just been tabloid BS, but the point is we so obviously needed to buy an athletic, more defensively consciously holding player to add balance to our midfield of gnomes. Between Diaby, Arteta and an improving Coquelin, we're not well equipped in that respect. I don't particularly rate Wilshere's defensive play in one-on-one situations or in terms of discipline, staying on his feet etc, either. I have no doubts that the team would be better with a stronger shape through the core of the side. It would also help to negate the suicidal urges of the likes of Vermaelen, dashing out thoughtlessly like in the Chelsea home game. Mertesacker is a good player, but he is only (imo) truly excellent when playing in a well-protected defence, like for Germany, where all he has to do is make endlessly clearances, he's not Paolo Maldini and not all of his decisions are perfect, even if his reading of the game is very good.

I agree with Mario, that I wonder if the team works as hard on defence as it did under Graham. I hope so, and it should.

Jonathan, we all know that the answer to that question is NO. There can be no doubt about it.

The wisdom of endlessly tedious drilling to improve the team has been in evidence already this season. During the first international break, it was widely reported that Chris Hughton made the Norwich squad (with barely any international representatives, if any...?) tirelessly work on their defensive play while most other teams' players were away. The instant improvement once back in the league included getting our scalp.

For me this is part of the very convincing argument for a change of manager. He can't provide the right training regime or instill the right discipline in the team to make them improve, he's far too enamoured with fancy dan faffing around with it football. He can no longer rely on the players to coach from within the team as they once did (having defensive leaders like Adams, and then Campbell, who managed after all to make Kolo Touré look far better than he actually was for a season).

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Bacary Sagna has been impressed with the speed of Nacho Monreal's adaption to English football.

The Spanish defender’s arrival at the Club has coincided with Arsène Wenger’s side keeping clean sheets in each of their last two games.

Monreal had a baptism of fire to English football against Stoke City on his debut, but Sagna says the 26-year-old's performance proved he can be a long-term success.

“I didn’t know much about him [before he came to Arsenal],” Sagna told Arsenal Player. “I had a chance to speak with Santi Cazorla and he talked about him. He looks good. He had a great game in his first game.

“It’s not easy because he only trained with us once before. I wouldn’t like to be in his position, but he did well.

“It was a difficult game to play in, with a lot of physicality and a lot of challenges. We won and everyone is happy.”

While Sagna recognises it can be tough to acclimatise to the Premier League, the French international believes it is crucial for defenders to settle quickly.

“As a defender, you have to run from the beginning to the end," he said. "When you’re a striker, you can give the maximum and maybe after 70 minutes, you will go out.

"It’s really rare for a defender to go out. You need to be at your best all of the time and you need to be competitive."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/sagna-monreal-has-really-impressed-me?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:56 am

Considering that his first two games in an Arsenal shirt were against Stoke and Sunderland, Monreal has done very well.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Yesterday was his birthday and now I found this on Arseblog so I thought I'd share it:

"Arsene Wenger has promised that Nacho Monreal will prove himself a very useful addition to the Arsenal squad having done well to survive a baptism of fire against two of the Premier League’s most physical clubs.

Dropped into the deep end with a debut against Stoke City, followed by a trip to Sunderland a home game against Aston Villa, the Spanish international has cut a solid presence so far with the Gunners securing three hard fought victories and keeping a couple of clean sheets.

Reflecting on the 27-year-old’s bedding in period, Wenger played up his new man’s defensive and offensive qualities.

“The first thing you want from your defenders is to defend well, so we cannot reproach him for that,” the boss told the Arsenal Magazine.

“You will see the other aspects of his game more when his confidence has settled.

“There is no better culture shock than to play against Stoke and Sunderland.

“Monreal is good in the air for a guy of his size, has a quick leap and has looked good. He is very strong in other areas too, his crosses for example, and his forward play you will see a bit later.

“It happened with Kieran Gibbs too, the more confident he became the more efficient he was going forward. It can take a bit of time to express that side.

“There is no better culture shock than to play against Stoke and Sunderland.

“He has not said a word to me about it, but he has spoken with the other players and he has seen all about the passion and commitment of the English game. You can say Nacho Monreal passed that test.”

It remains to be seen who will be Arsene Wenger’s first choice left-back when Kieran Gibbs returns to full fitness. The Academy product was enjoying his best season to date at the Emirates only for another injury to force him off in the 2-2 draw with Liverpool.

As things stand the Spaniard has a chance to consolidate his credentials in England and given neither Andre Santos nor Thomas Vermaelen have proved themselves capable of filling the left-back slot he’s got the full backing of the supporters. It’s a shame he’s ineligible for the Champions League as he was sorely missed in the 3-1 spanking at the hands of Bayern in the first-leg."

Really like the guy. For someone who played his first game away at Stoke a day after his arrival, he has done very well. Pleased with his addition so far, and if he can get better, then it's better for us as well.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:41 am

I think he's solid. He can give Gibbs a good competition and we have two quality left backs. Since when do we have that?

Also, regarding Sagna. PSG made a 10mil bid for him and I think we should accept it. Get someone like Corchia and by next season Jenkinson will be better. We will have two solid right backs then.

Our defence looks better now, for sure.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 am

Monreal's crosses are fantastic. You can see that against France. 2 good crosses, first one should be scored but missed. 2nd one was a goal from Pedro.

Alba didn't play because he was injured but Monreal really tore Jallet a new hole. France have shit fullbacks. Evra and Jallet both shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 am

Samritpal Singh wrote:Monreal's crosses are fantastic. You can see that against France. 2 good crosses, first one should be scored but missed. 2nd one was a goal from Pedro.

Alba didn't play because he was injured but Monreal really tore Jallet a new hole. France have shit fullbacks. Evra and Jallet both shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Only reason Jallet was playing was because Sagna and Debuchy weren't fit. As for left backs, Evra and Clichy isn't the most assuring duo I can come up with.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:17 am

Arsene Wenger is backing Kieran Gibbs to step up to the challenge of fighting with Nacho Monreal for the left-back berth at Arsenal.

Gibbs was long viewed as the natural successor to the departed Gael Clichy but a series of injuries halted his progress and Wenger moved to bring in Monreal in the January transfer window.

The arrival of Spain international Monreal led to questions about the position of Gibbs at the club, but Wenger feels the reaction from the England international has been positive and expects the pair to spur each other on in the months ahead.

"I think this season has been, despite the fact that he was in doubt for a while, a step up season for him," Wenger told Arsenal's official website about Gibbs. "He has improved a lot, has put his personality into the games, which was sometimes a bit of a problem for him.

"He has authority, he is decisive going forward, and in games where we were struggling a bit like Swansea in the cup he turned up and was the one who brought the pressure on the opponent.

"He is ready for the fight. I did it because I believe you never know with only one left back. You need two."

Wenger believes that as well as the pair spurring each other on, there is the option of Arsenal deploying them in the same side.

He said: "And as well because both can play one in front of the other, so there's an opportunity to use them both in some games."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/200449.html#
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

It's pretty handy that we (or more importantly the coach) don't really have to worry about full backs anymore. Other areas can be concentrated on.

Although Nacho does need to go out for a few beers with the rest of the defence to improve his English and become more confident to talk on the field.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am

Mike York wrote:Arsene Wenger is backing Kieran Gibbs to step up to the challenge of fighting with Nacho Monreal for the left-back berth at Arsenal.

Gibbs was long viewed as the natural successor to the departed Gael Clichy but a series of injuries halted his progress and Wenger moved to bring in Monreal in the January transfer window.

The arrival of Spain international Monreal led to questions about the position of Gibbs at the club, but Wenger feels the reaction from the England international has been positive and expects the pair to spur each other on in the months ahead.

"I think this season has been, despite the fact that he was in doubt for a while, a step up season for him," Wenger told Arsenal's official website about Gibbs. "He has improved a lot, has put his personality into the games, which was sometimes a bit of a problem for him.

"He has authority, he is decisive going forward, and in games where we were struggling a bit like Swansea in the cup he turned up and was the one who brought the pressure on the opponent.

"He is ready for the fight. I did it because I believe you never know with only one left back. You need two."

Wenger believes that as well as the pair spurring each other on, there is the option of Arsenal deploying them in the same side.

He said: "And as well because both can play one in front of the other, so there's an opportunity to use them both in some games."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/200449.html#

It's good to see Wenger having selection headaches in the LB dept. Think Monreal is a step ahead of Gibbs at the moment. But a competition for places must exist in all depts. for us to be gunning for titles.
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum