Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal v Southampton

+17
Marko Maksimović
Elisabeth Studentschnig
John Foxall
Hisham El Mawan
Dan Hakim
Michael Foster
kique.canto
Andreas Wæhre
Vanig Bostanian
Steve Dawson
ralph avedikian
kdunn
Jason Morrison
Mario
Mike York
dbruce5
Jenks1981
21 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Arsenal v Southampton - Page 5 Empty Re: Arsenal v Southampton

Post by Chris Chan Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:52 am

Chesney had an absolute shocker. In a game where he had next to nothing to do, he fucked up on most of what he did (at least two kicks which gave the opposition the ball 40 yards from goal and a third that went straight out of play). We should also have had 4 clean sheets in a row which put a slight dampner on things.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:53 pm

His distribution was deplorable, and he was under next to no pressure on those occasions as well. Very lucky we weren't punished and if he doesn't sort his shit out it's likely we will be at some point. Mannone was decent in his games and made a few smart saves but I think we stick with Chez for the time being.

Other than that, fantastic performance, utterly dominant and didn't look like conceding until that fuck up. Pretty lucky with the two own goals but if we call it 4-0 without the own goals and chez disaster it still has a pretty nice ring to it.

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Most goalkeepers that come in having not played stuff up. If we had Cudicini or someone similar, I bet they would be error prone. I also suggested we should get a senior keeper in the summer transfer window, it is just as possible that they would make similar issues.

SZCZ made a good save with his feet, 1 other save, and came out and closed down the angle well (56th minute). All in the second half, when Southhampton were having a good period.

I remember games last season where we would dominate for 10 minutes, then the opposition would get a chance against the run of play, and SZCZ would make a brilliant save. One was against Man City I think. I think we have one of the best keepers in the league.

He's going though a rough patch, including the Euro's, but I am more than happy with him. Let's put this one down to him being his first game back.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

I don't think there is to much to look at with schez...been injured probably just not got back into the swing of things...I think most people are a bit pissed that we conceded a goal and lost a small streak we had going....it's the hardest one to keep,
3 games and no goals conceded and 1 in 4 is still a good stat in itself...
Goals will go in its if they start to happen more regular and with the same defensive mistakes happening over and over I would be more worried at...

So far 3rd two great wins and two draws with the best G/D out of anybody after 4 games...

I'll take that quite happily...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 pm

I wasn't too happy with Szczesny's performance and Mannone was warming up on the sidelines during the first half and some of the 2nd half too so there is a chance he was feeling his injury. Which begs the question, was he fully fit? The way he came out to claim that ball for the goal wasn't entirely convincing, maybe he didn't want to clatter into Jenkinson because he was worried about his ribs?

Not that I'm trying to excuse him for the goal and the poor kicking, if he wasn't fully fit he shouldn't have started. But I guess with the games we have coming up we didn't want him to come straight back in cold into a big game and to at least have, on paper at least, a more comfortable home match to ease back in.

I guess it shows the difference in certain positions of our squad. Koscielny came back but went on to the bench because we had a solid, experienced international in Mertesacker in his place. Mannone may have kept a couple of clean sheets but he is not exactly someone we will want to rely on for the season. He wasn't exactly convincing in dealing with crosses at Anfield, either.

As for the rest of the team I was very happy with Saturday. Can only beat who they place in front of you even if they help us out (I think Southampton have a really bad keeper, btw) and although challenges will get a lot tougher and the next few weeks will show us what we're really made of, I think we're in good shape right now. As long as certain key players remain fit, of course...

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:41 am

Steve Dawson wrote:Think 4/10 for Chesney is a little harsh. Apart from his balls-up I don't remember him having a save to make.

But I do agree that we need a senior keeper with experience to put pressure on him, as Mannone and Flappy won't cut it.

Yeah when I looked at those again I realized it was a bit harsh. 5.5 tops.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5