Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pat Rice, Gooner through and through

+3
Joey Schwab
Mike York
Mario
7 posters

Go down

Pat Rice, Gooner through and through Empty Pat Rice, Gooner through and through

Post by Mario Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

I thought I'd post this tribute to Pat Rice from Yorkshire Gunner because it's true what he says, he's become a bit of a joke figure and has been blamed almost by some fans for our recent trophyless seasons, but the man is a true Arsenal legend and should be remembered as one when it's time for him to step aside. And he's not a jokey 'legend' like Eboue but a real Arsenal man and although it probably is time for some fresh blood to come into the club, and could maybe be argued is overdue, he will be missed.

I have read lots of blogs/tweets about whom we should get in if at the end of the season Pat Rice does stand down this summer. I don’t want to retread other more intelligent bloggers than myself about whom we should get in to replace him but I`d like to look back on Arsenal`s Number 2 and give an opinion into what a genuine club legend has done for our great Club.

I`d like to thank Pat Rice (who seems to be a bit of a joke figure amongst some Arsenal Fans, unfairly in my view) for nigh on 44 Years of great service.

Pat Rice was Arsenals Right-Back for virtually the entire decade that was the 70s,please think about that for a second, that alone is an amazing achievement in itself. Add to that the fact he was part of the legendary 71 double winning side and sprinkle on top the fact Rice was Captain of the Club which reached 4 major finals in 4 years, its a hell of a career.

Pat Rice should be revered just for his playing career alone at our club but when you consider he has been involved in coaching at one level or another since 1984 and what the club has achieved since then, he has made a huge impact in the honours we have won in this time. Rice first took over the Youth Team in 1984 and went on to win 2 FA Youth Cups during his time in the role. When you delve deeper into those FA Youth Victories a lot of credit must go down to Rice`s tactical acumen as only really Kevin Campbell was the stand-out talent of either Cup Winning Sides…( Hillier, Morrow & Stephen Hughes the other notables ). Whilst in his role as Youth team Manager Rice was involved at Anfield on the Famous Title Winning Night in 89. Perhaps George Graham felt Rice could add some title winning nous to the Dressing Room on that occasion or did he feel the need to take Rice to arrange the flower tributes the Arsenal Players ran onto the field with that evening? Whilst Graham was in charge Rice stayed in charge of the Youths as Graham had firstly Theo Foley then Stuart Houston as his good cops to his Col Gaddaffi image. When GG left under the dark cloud of his own making Bruce Rioch kept faith in Houston as his number 2. However when Arsenal`s Board ( or rather David Dein) decided to jettison Rioch after just one season Houston left to take up the Managers Job at QPR ( Rioch went as HIS number 2 ! ) the board turned to Rice to steady the ship until the mysterious Arsene Wenger ( who? ) could take over.

Rice took charge of Arsenal for 3 PL games and enjoys a 100% win rate. He however couldn’t manage to get over the Borussia Mönchengladbach hurdle in the Uefa Cup before Wenger arrived and took the club onwards to Utopia.

Pat Rice has been involved in all three of Arsenals Doubles as either a player (71) or as a coach (98,2002) only Bob Wilson can also claim the same. It also shouldn`t be overlooked that Rice also Coached the Invincibles during the memorable 49 match unbeaten run or he was within 13 mins of winning a Champions League Final. In fact during most fans lives as Arsenal Fans Pat Rice has been involved in all things great at Arsenal, not bad for a bloke that “just puts the cones out and hands the players their bibs”—one of my mates said that about Mr Rice.

Wenger for all his faults knew Pat Rice was highly valued by the club and players when he first arrived and kept him on as his number 2. He has also if rumours are to be believed talked Pat into prolonging his Arsenal Career rather than taking up retirement on a couple of occasions. Twitter is alive with rumours about who should take over when Rice does leave. A Patrick Vieira may well have more status abroad but compare the two, Rice has given almost all his working life to Arsenal Football Club and didn`t take a Sheiks cash or made up title and start to entice Arsenal Players away from us, yet who amongst us feels Vieira is a bigger club legend? Yes, Paddy was a great player for us but deep down is he really a fully fledged Real Arsenal Man? Read his Twitter Bio… we are a footnote in his career. Whereas Rice lives and breathes Arsenal Football Club.

Many names will and have been mentioned about who will take over from Rice, I doubt many of them feel for us like Pat Rice does and has done for nearly half a century. I agree that Football evolves and part of Fergusons success at Utd has been in part to freshening up his coaching staff but we should never lose sight of the fact that ex players who have a genuine love for the club are worth more than some flash in the pan fashionable name of the month.

Whoever does take up the number 2 position has my sincerest best wishes; he has some legendary boots to fill when the time comes.

http://www.arsenation.co.uk/pat-rice-gooner-through-and-through-do-you-want-a-number-2/#.T5ZPqz2F-_4.twitter

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pat Rice, Gooner through and through Empty Re: Pat Rice, Gooner through and through

Post by Mike York Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Good article. Pat Rice is underrated by many modern day Arsenal fans. I think a lot of people who dismiss Pat Rice or joke about him weren't around during his Arsenal playing days (an ever increasing percentage of the fans) or simply just didn't know how much he has given to the club in his life. Personally I think he is a true legend of the club, emphasis on the word true as like you said people deem others like Eboue or Vieira legends, but they're not, Arsenal isn't in their hearts the way it is for Pat Rice.

I do think the time has come for something fresher in the backroom area. A couple coaches and, the key position behind Wenger, the assistant manager. Just to mix things up like all succesful managers do (how many assistant managers has Fergie had the past couple decades for example?). But I sincerely hope Rice stays at the club in some other capacity as the club need people like Rice around. He lives and breathes Arsenal and has done more for the club than most people in it's history.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Pat Rice, Gooner through and through Empty Re: Pat Rice, Gooner through and through

Post by Mario Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 pm

I think he just wants to retire but we'll see in the summer. I doubt he will take on any other role but I'm sure he will always be at the games and visit the training ground, he seems like that sort of guy.

Also, http://yfrog.com/h0p6nuclj

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:15 am

Nothin like enjoying a nice shower with the boys
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 am

the article link says nothing found,
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 am

but yeah, thanks for posting, Mario. and a nice article.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 am

Great article

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Pat ‘MR ARSENAL’ Rice

Whatever the result at tomorrows crucial game against Norwich, no doubt there will be a lap of appreciation from the players to their supporters after the game has ended. One man deserves to have his name sung loud and proud as he walks around the Emirates pitch for the last time. It is expected that Pat Rice, Arsene’s right hand man, will be hanging up his track suit following many years as an excellent servant to the club.

The bare facts of his career do not do justice to a wonderfully loyal and gentle man, who served Arsenal so well both as player and Assistant Coach.

Patrick James “Pat” Rice (born 17 March 1949).
Pat was born in Belfast, which explains his unique London/Irish accent, because he then grew up in London.

He played more than 400 times for Arsenal, including winning the first Double, before moving on to play for Watford.

As an International player he won 49 caps for his home country Northern Ireland. He has been the strong right hand of Arsene Wenger ever since Wenger became the Arsenal coach, and reinforced his reputation by being an intrinsic part of the management of two wonderful Double winning teams.

Born in Belfast, Rice grew up in London.

But what of the man? Pat has become indelibly linked with Arsenal and has clearly become assistant, friend, confidant and advisor to the greatest manager Arsenal has ever had.

If Pat gave a soliloquy about his time at the club, it would be full of self deprecating modesty and good humour. For all Arsenal fans he is far more than that. We all will have our own thoughts and memories, both involving his playing career and his time in administrative management.

Nothing will honour Pat more than for all of us to exchange these wonderful memories of a great man among ourselves today on the penultimate day of his final Arsenal home game.

Pat Rice, Gooner through and through Pat-rice-legend

Pat Rice, Gooner through and through Pat-and-arsene

http://arsenalarsenal.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/pat-mr-arsenal-rice/
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Last home game today. We will send him off in proper fashion!
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sat May 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Arsene's 900th game in charg and his last home game, we should win in some fashion for these two.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Just been announced Stevie boy is to take over....

Hats of to rice...

Sir you were and still are a legend.

Thank you very much.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am

Arsenal assistant manager Bould: I've got some big shoes to fill

The 49-year-old admits he will still be learning on the job but can't hide his excitement at being promoted to Arsene Wenger’s assistant manager

Arsenal's newly appointed assistant manager Steve Bould is relishing the opportunity to work with the first team after his promotion from youth team head coach, and admitted that he has some big shoes to fill.

Pat Rice's retirement has forced Arsene Wenger to reshuffle his coaching staff, a move which also seen Neil Banfield promoted from the reserve team manager to first team coach.

Rice first joined Arsenal as a 17-year-old in 1966 before becoming a coach at the club in 1984 until retiring at the end of last season.

Bould told the club's official website: "I know I have some big boots to fill with Pat having spent 44 years at the club and that is going to be the hard part.

"It is more than excitement, it is an absolute privilege and an honour.

"I will be learning on the job a little bit but myself and Neil Banfield are more than excited."

Wenger feels it is essential to have people around the club who value the identity of Arsenal.

The 49-year-old spent 11 years at Arsenal between 1988 and 1999, making 372 appearances for The Gunners, and won the league three times and the FA Cup twice. Banfield has been a coach at the club for the last 15 years, something which the manager admires.

Wenger said: "I have always felt it is important to have people around who understand what this great club is all about.

"With Steve and Neil joining the first-team staff, it ensures we carry forward our traditions and approach in a consistent way."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/24/3125059/arsenal-assistant-manager-bould-ive-got-some-big-shoes-to
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Former Arsenal assistant manager Pat Rice is in hospital receiving treatment for cancer.

Rice, who started out as a player in the north London club's youth team, made 397 appearances for Arsenal over a 14-year period, winning the double in 1971 and leading the side to FA Cup glory against Manchester United in 1979.

Having finished his playing career at Watford, he worked under current manager Arsene Wenger from 1996 until his retirement in May 2012.

An Arsenal spokesman said: "We can sadly confirm Pat Rice is in hospital receiving treatment for cancer.

"Everyone at Arsenal Football Club sends him our best wishes. Our thoughts are with Pat and his family."

On the occasion of Rice's retirement last year, Wenger said: "Arsenal were privileged to have him as a captain, as a player, as a coach.

"Personally I'm very grateful for his contribution during my period here. He has been a constant and loyal supporter.

"Nobody is more of a fighter than Pat Rice."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9046068/

Sad to hear. Hope it all goes as best as it can for him.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum