Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new...

+6
Ed Spence
ChippyBrady
Justin Chew
Jonathan Prendergast
Sami Rockfeller
Zaid Derweesh
10 posters

Go down

Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new... Empty Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new...

Post by Zaid Derweesh Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I think the Walcott comparison is a bad one. Ox is electric but I don't think he has the raw pace. He's very different in his game - Walcott would always hug the touchline, kick and run (he's developed since then). Ox is very different. He comes central, has a great passing range, has tricks, is strong, has acceleration over the first few years, and seems a composed finisher.

I assert, then, that he is not the new Walcott, but the new...Rooney.

Look at him, look at the way he plays. Look at how he's built even, strong build, low centre of gravity, comes deep, runs at defenders. He probably won't be a striker, but a deeper playing Rooney.

What do you think?

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new... Empty Re: Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new...

Post by Sami Rockfeller Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:16 pm

No comparisons, we'll let him be the original Ox. We've been disappointed with comparisons too often.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new... Empty Re: Ox is not the Walcott, he's the new...

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Agree with both Very Happy
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Good shot on both legs too.

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 pm

I quite like the comparison as I think it's a fairer one than comparing him to Walcott. But I also feel comparisons should not be dwelled upon as they leave it open for all sorts of disappointment. One thing that people like to do in this country is hype players up as 'the next..' and then tear them to shreds when they don't reach the bar that the media and public had set so high.
Bentley was supposed to be 'the next Beckham'. I feel if he hadn't got carried away with the hype, he may have been a decent, more earthed footballer.
Ox seems a more grounded, intelligent player so I hope he can take it all in his stride. If he goes to The Euros, he'll have to deal with the circus of being in an English national side early. As well as the post tournament media bashing that follows. The build you up only to tear you back down.
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Pablo Aimar is the new Maradona.

Queresma is the new Figo.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Francis Jeffers, the next 'Englands greatest natural goalscorer'
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Fox in the box
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Spence Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Sami Rockfeller wrote: 'the original Ox'

Love it, I always think it's harsh to call players 'The next..' let them be themselves. The main thing that the Ox needs from Arsenal at the moment is playing time, and managed expectations.
Ed Spence
Ed Spence
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18 am

Arseblog mentioned that he is more like Wayne. Have to agree with Sami, I'd like to avoid making comparisons as I've been very disappointed before.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:24 am

Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:53 pm

You've just copied this from when I said it in the group after his first Carlin Cup match for us. It's my intellectual property and I demand compensation.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:54 pm

(/I agree and I think he'll end up as a support striker).
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 pm

The newest Arsenal starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has burst onto the scene since the New Year and is already being tipped as a certainty to go to the Euro 2012 tournament with England this summer.

But the youngster himself is keeping his feet on the ground and is more than happy to just listen and learn from the other highly experienced strikers in the Arsenal team.

He said: “I’m one of the least experienced players in the squad so any player who gives me a comment always helps me, whether it is positive or constructive criticism,”

“I listen to everybody. People like Thierry and Robin who score goals and are attacking players like myself, you can always learn a lot from them. That’s all I do, I listen and learn.

“I have belief in myself and in my own ability. I just know that I have to keep working hard and learn off the boys, and then hopefully the rest will come. At the moment it’s going quite well for me so I’m just going to keep working hard.”

“It’s been a tough challenge but I knew when I signed that I had to work hard and take little bits from everyone around me,”

“There’s quality players at this club and a quality manager so you just have to learn from everyone. I’ve just tried to take it in my stride and keep developing my game.

“In terms of Euro 2012 I am just focusing on Arsenal at the moment and I’m also in the England Under-21 squad. All I can do is focus on what I am involved in.

“Obviously it would be very nice to play in the tournament but I just have to keep my feet on the ground and take it step by step.”

http://justarsenal.com/oxlade-chamberlain-just-happy-to-learn-from-van-persie-and-henry/12494
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Cheers for the responses guys. I guess it is there for all to see, he plays nothing like Walcott. Although RVP, Wenger and Arseblogger all said it after me, so I will take some credit. But if Flanagan said it first and its his intellectual property, then credit where its due!

I still hope he doesn't go to Euro 2012.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down