Koscielny

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Koscielny

Post by Mario on Sun May 06, 2012 8:34 pm

He does. Where is the intelligence? He flies out all the time and strikers just run off behind him. The whole system doesn't work.

Wenger likes his players to play with freedom but there needs to be some discipline to it and if Vermaelen comes charging out (to go upfield, not just the usual out of position a la Taarabt or yesterday) we need midfielders to drop in. Song and Ramsey don't seem able to do it or they are just too casual/lazy too. Look at the 2nd goal? They did a Denilson. There's more than one 'jogger' at the club it seems.

And we miss Arteta massively, but how can the loss of one man result in our midfield falling apart?

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall on Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Mario Leontiou wrote:And we miss Arteta massively, but how can the loss of one man result in our midfield falling apart?

I don't rate Arteta as highly as most people seem to, yet he does seem to own the only brain cell in our midfield.

With the current set-up at the club, the players don't seem to be encouraged to use their brains at all. The way one of the Norwich players ran right through the middle of the pitch to the edge of our area just before their equalizer reminded me of the barely-believable through-ball to Taarabt at QPR. We just don't have enough discipline. It's not part of the set-up at the club and none of the players want to organize vocally.

The only change left to us is the manager, unless of course we believe a change of assistant will help. It's surely not enough though. We're performing well within our potential, so all this talk of money is a bit offensive to fans who pay for very expensive tickets. We could easily be doing better. To fail to reach 70 points would reflect how average we are.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 pm

The whole midfield worries me. We've seen what happens when we lose Arteta. What if we were to lose Song instead? He's very important to our current system, going forward and back. What about Rosicky instead? Who steps in? The depth worries me.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous on Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 am

Zaid Derweesh wrote:The whole midfield worries me. We've seen what happens when we lose Arteta. What if we were to lose Song instead? He's very important to our current system, going forward and back. What about Rosicky instead? Who steps in? The depth worries me.

There's only so much depth you can have though. I do agree with the 'better safe than sorry' idea, but at the same time, there's only so many players we can sign in the same position before we end up with too many. Wilshere, Arteta and Diaby (yes, I know) are all out right now. Lose one or two more and it just becomes ridiculous.

The problem is we always seem to have a ridiculous injury crisis every season, so I'm not sure what we should do. Sign too many players and risk some of them not getting games, or risk it they we seem to do every season and not sign back ups for our back ups? It probably is time to do the former.

Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 am

You're right of course. With all our midfielders fully fit, we've got the ones you mentioned plus Coquelin and Frimpong. I feel we could do with another two bodies in midfield though - to replace the not-young Arteta I'd like M'Vila (some competition for the place for a couple of years), and to replace the not-young Rosicky we could do with a signing, but realistically Wilshere will probably be it.

I feel Diaby ought to be sold. Frimpong and Coquelin can compete amongst themselves.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Laurent Koscielny believes he has upped his game since arriving at Arsenal because he has to adapt his game on a weekly basis to combat Premier League strikers of all shapes and sizes.

Drawing comparisons with the type of hitmen he faced when plying his trade for Lorient, the French international stressed that he is no longer fazed by the physicality of life in England and actually thrives on ‘going to war’ with opponents.

Speaking to the inimitable Philippe Auclair in a lengthy interview with France Football (English translation available here) Koscielny eloquently reflected:

“When I was in France, I liked to ‘stick’ to the forwards, because I had the ability to go in front of them; it was easier for me, because those forwards were not as strong as they’re here, when you’re sometimes playing against huge guys who weigh 90 kilos and are still able to switch direction.

“I told myself ‘wait a bit, move back one or two yards’. That way, I can see whether his first touch will take him left or right, I can intercept, and initiate play from the back.

“England, in the past, it was ‘hoof it’ – but that’s over. You’ve got every kind of striker: a Drogba, who is so strong his back to goal; Peter Crouch, who’s 2 metres tall; Kun Agüero, who’s 1 metre 50, but who’s so fast!

“It’s not the worse for that: you taste everything, you improve more quickly. You encounter a different problem every week. One week, it’ll be header after header, because you’re playing a team like Stoke, who like to play long balls; the next, your job will be to pass the ball out of defence.

Having spent only one season in the French top flight before moving to Arsenal, it’s fair to say that Koscielny was certainly thrown in the deep end last season. Sent off on his debut at Anfield in August 2010, he later kept Lionel Messi quiet during the Gunners 2-1 win at the Emirates in February before playing a fateful part in Birmingham’s Carling Cup final winner after a mix-up with Wojciech Szczesny.

While last year may have been a personal rollercoaster, this season, despite the club’s erratic form, Koscielny himself is a far more consistent force in the centre of defence. Indeed, while both Per Mertesacker and Thomas Vermaelen have occasionally been caught napping, the former Lorient man has often been on hand to sweep up.

Talking about the work done on the training ground and how it has allowed him to enjoy not just the tactical battles but the rough and tumble, Koscielny continued:

“The diversity of the attacking players you face pushes you ahead. In my first year at the club, I was a novice. To play against opponents as different as I had to made me improve.

“We worked on my positioning – because of the physical impact of English forwards. But, wait, even if I’m someone who likes the beautiful game, I also enjoy the physical side of it. ‘Go to war’ – no worries!

“English referees aren’t as card happy [as French ones], and I’m not unhappy that they let the game flow a bit more. In France, it’s constant whistling. The halves don’t last 45 minutes, but 40! Here, there’s no play-acting… when it’s tough, it’s tough. And it isn’t the worse for it. There’s no cheating, and that’s a good thing.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/05/koscielny-drogba-crouch-aguero-ill-go-to-war-with-them-all/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+one+stop+Arsenal+news+site%29

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Sat May 12, 2012 12:52 am

Full interview -

Laurent Koscielny recently granted an interview to France Football.

You can now read the English translation as Laurent talks about adapting to the Premier League and Arsenal's recovery from a tough start to the season.

Laurent, did the player who was still playing in Ligue 2 less than three years ago felt he’d landed on a different planet when he discovered Arsenal?

I had formed an idea of what I could expect in England, but I had to see things with my own eyes. For me, it was the best league in Europe. All the ingredients are there for that. You’ve got attacking players who’re physically very strong, the pace is very quick, the intensity of the games is incomparable – and not to the prejudice of technique. I naturally needed a period of adaptation to take stock of all of this, in particular when it comes to physical impact and game intensity.

You can’t have forgotten your first match for Arsenal...

Oh, that first game, against Liverpool, I remember it well! (laughs) First, there is the Joe Cole tackle on me, which got him a red card. I was really scared – he could’ve broken my leg. But I came back into the game.... until I too received a red card towards the end! I really went through many emotions that day, but, all in all, playing my first game in England at Anfield, that was something huge for me.

Did you tell yourself straight away: careful, there are many things I need to change in my game?

It’s first and foremost a question of mentality. In France, when you’re 2-0 up, the other team stops playing and tries not to concede again. Here, your opponent doesn’t let go, they still try to score. Given the atmosphere in the grounds and the support of the fans, they can flip a game on its head in a matter of minutes. You must imperatively be focused from the first minute to the last: you never know what’s round the corner. A dead-ball situation, a goal, and the house is on fire!

I also had to work on the purely athletic side of my game. I don’t have the build of a ‘physical’ stopper. And the intensity of the training sessions isn’t the same. Here at Arsenal, we’ve got one session per day, which lasts one hour and a half; and during this hour and a half, you don’t stop. Everything’s done so that you’re at your maximum, from the warm-up to the end of the session. So, at the beginning, it was tough for me, I could feel I was really stretching my engine... all the more so that, at Lorient, [manager] Christian Gourcuff tended not to call on me for the first two days of the week, after which I re-integrated into the squad. Here, I had to do a lot of work with the trainers to get in the right shape.

Were you surprised by the type of forwards you had to defend against?

England, in the past, it was ‘hoof it’ - but that’s over. You’ve got every kind of striker: a Drogba, who is so strong his back to goal; Peter Crouch, who’s 2 metres tall; Kun Agüero, who’s 1 metre 50, but who’s so fast! (laughs) It’s not the worse for that: you taste everything, you improve more quickly. You encounter a different problem every week. One week, it’ll be header after header, because you’re playing a team like Stoke, who like to play long balls; the next, your job will be to pass the ball out of defence. The diversity of the attacking players you face pushes you ahead. In my first year at the club, I was a novice. To play against opponents as different as I had to made me improve.

Does a central defender have to adopt a different kind of positioning in the Premier League?

When I was in France, I liked to ‘stick’ to the forwards, because I had the ability to go in front of them; it was easier for me, because those forwards were not as strong as they’re here, when you’re sometimes playing against huge guys who weigh 90 kilos and are still able to switch direction. I told myself ‘wait a bit, move back one or two yards’. That way, I can see whether his first touch will take him left or right, I can intercept, and initiate play from the back.

We worked on my positioning - because of the physical impact of English forwards. But, wait, even if I’m someone who likes the beautiful game, I also enjoy the physical side of it. ‘Go to war’ - no worries! (laughs) English referees aren’t as card happy [as French ones], and I’m not unhappy that they let the game flow a bit more. In France, it’s constant whistling. The halves don’t last 45 minutes, but 40! Here, there’s no play-acting... when it’s tough, it’s tough. And it isn’t the worse for it. There’s no cheating, and that’s a good thing.

Which strikers have caused you the most problems in England?

You want names? Ah, it depends. There are games when you feel well, and others - like the one at Liverpool, this season - when I didn’t feel at my top, physically speaking, and Luis Suarez caused me problems on several occasions. Football is bizarre. You’re good one game and, the next, you have the same desire, but you lose more 50/50s, because you don’t feel quite as well. But there are forwards who will always ask you questions. Drogba. Rooney. Guys whom you know can make the difference with one touch, or one pass.

On September 15, Arsenal is 17th in the league table. Beginning of May, you’re third. Do you have an explanation for that?

The beginning of the season was a catastrophe. We’d lost players who were key to our system. We recruited late, and it took a while for us to gel. We were whopped at Old Trafford. Everybody thought we were dead and buried. But you don’t lose your football like that, like snapping your fingers. It can happen that a grain of sand falls in the machine, and the machine stalls; then you start to have doubts about your qualities, your club, your coach, everything... We had to put the house back in order. And everyone did their bit: the coach, the club, because we were in a critical situation. The squad wasn’t giving enough for the club, and was aware of it. We got back to work, we told each other the things that needed to be told; after which, one win, two wins, confidence comes back, and things follow from then on. The new players gelled in the squad, and here we are...

There was also someone called Robin van Persie, no?

Sure! It’s his season. I’m really happy for him. It’s the first time he hasn’t been bothered by injuries, and you can see the difference...

What’s it like to play against him in training?

I try not to kick him too much! I go ‘soft’ on him...(laughs). We try to be reasonable: the season is so long...

Now this long season is almost over and you look back, what is your dominant feeling? Could it be regret, or frustration?

I cannot live with regrets. If we had a nightmarish start to the season, it is because we deserved to have it. But, frankly, I’ll come out of this season a more mature footballer. Everybody thought us dead and buried, but we stuck together, the players, the club, the staff, we fought together. The season I’ve gone through has been tough, but full of emotion. Tottenham at home... there was pressure on us, we were five points behind Chelsea, everybody was saying, ‘Champions League? It’s over, Tottenham will win’...and we put five goals past them, and went on a seven-win run.

We might not have dominated every single game, but, mentally, we had something extra. At Liverpool, for example, we always believed, and Robin gave us victory at the very end. The biggest regret is, perhaps, the first leg against Milan, when the game completely passed us by. Arsenal’s place is among the top four clubs in England. A club doesn’t ‘die’ like that, and the players realised it. There weren’t too many people to accompany us in this climb back [to our place], but we did it.

One Thierry Henry did some of the climb with you....

Thierry didn’t have the legs of a twenty-year old, perhaps, but, whether it’s in the dressing room or on the pitch, he’s played an important part. He knows this club, he’s lived big things here, he won titles, he became a legend for all the fans. He brought us this extra hunger to win, including in games in which we struggled to play our football. And there were a few of those ‘complicated’ games. One thing we knew though, was that we would score. We proved it at Liverpool, at Sunderland, against Liverpool, against Villa in the FA Cup. When you truly believe, as we’re not that bad a bunch of players, results follow.

What about next year?

I’m not thinking about it yet. The most important thing is to get that third place. Then - if we keep our key players, if we bring in players who can bring something extra, if we make a good start in the league, then, yes, we’ll be contenders for the title.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Sat May 12, 2012 4:39 am

I just love Laurent. He has mental strength. After such a bad start to his Arsenal career, he worked on every aspect of his game, improved it, and now I can say he is the best center back at the club and one of the best in England.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:37 pm

This thread is created by me, has the last post by me, and will be brought to life by me. I just love Laurent Koscielny. He is my favorite player in the team, and has been for the quite some time, and this quote from Arseblog proves that he still is a Boss:
"If there was an element of unfairness that last season’s best centre-half spent too much time on the bench, he’s responded in the best way possible. He hasn’t complained, he hasn’t kicked up, but when his chance came he took it. And that ought to be the example for Vermaelen or any player in that situation."
I love his character. He had a tough first season, got better at the end of it, and became a boss in his second season. He was dropped to the bench in his second season, struggled with form and injuries and got back in the starting XI in the best way possible. If only we had 11 Koscielny's

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm

We have looked a lot more solid since he stepped in with Mertesacker. With his reading/pace/determination and Per's reading/height/leadership they are a great duo. I still like Vermealen but right now he doesn't fit into our best back four.

Nice to see even though it is a lot harder tio do so in today's transfer market that Wenger and his scouts can still discover hidden gems like Koscielny and get them for a great price.

I've liked him since he joined as he reminds me of the T-1000 from Terminator 2. I've just liked him more and more as he improves and improves.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Defender Laurent Koscielny is confident he and fellow centre-back Per Mertesacker can help shackle former team-mate Robin van Persie to continue Arsenal's “story” against Barclays Premier League champions-elect Manchester United next weekend.

Mertesacker's header at the end of the first half proved enough to secure a 1-0 win at Fulham - where both sides finished with 10 men after Gunners' striker Olivier Giroud saw red in the closing moments.

It was a ninth win in 12 league games for the Gunners, who are in third place, a point ahead of Chelsea and two clear of Tottenham although both have played a match less.

That record, though, will be severely tested next weekend, when United head to the Emirates Stadium looking to close in on the title, spearheaded by the goals of Arsenal's former talisman.

Koscielny said: "I hope we can keep Robin quiet. He is a good player.

"I enjoyed my time playing with him, but I hope we keep the story with us."

The France defender said: "It will be a hard game for the whole team, but we are at home and we will try to get the three points.

"It will be a good game against a big team and I think they have won the title (already)."

Koscielny, 27, has formed a good understanding alongside Mertesacker, whose close-ranger header just before half-time proved enough for victory over a battling Fulham side. So much so that it has kept captain ThomasVermaelen on the bench.

France international Koscielny believes the 6ft 7in German provides a steady influence at the heart of the Arsenal rearguard.

He said: "We play well together as a pair. We communicate on the pitch well.

"His experience is vital and it helps us work together on the pitch, so we try and talk to each other a lot and it is important at the back to have an understanding."

Koscielny added: "Per is a very good player. He reads the ball well. He is clever, attacks the ball and wins headers whereas I can go behind and be quick and cope with the long balls.

"He is good technically so he is good for the defence. Per is calm on the pitch.

"He is good for me, he uses his experience, this helps me, and he helps the team."

Wenger has been impressed by Vermaelen's response since being benched.

"Thomas is one of the best defenders in England, like the two others," the Arsenal boss said.

"I told them at the start of the season we have three outstanding central defenders.

"It is about game by game that I make a decision, and it is about partnership as well."

Wenger added: "Vermaelen has been a substitute for quite a few games and he still plays a big part in the game. I don't see him as a substitute at all.

"Koscielny was a long, long time during the season in that position and that can change very quickly."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/laurent-koscielny-confident-per-mertesacker-can-help-shackle-robin-van-persie-on-return-to-arsenal-8582419.html

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 pm

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/06/video-laurent-koscielny-season-2012-13/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
What a boss

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Arsenal legend Tony Adams says Laurent Koscielny reminds him of Martin Keown.

Adams and Keown formed a fearsome centre-back partnership at the turn of the century, helping Arsène Wenger's side win the Double in 1998 and 2002.

More than a decade on Koscielny has been earning rave reviews for his performances at the heart of Wenger's back four. Adams is an admirer of the France international and he explained why after a run-out at the World Refugee Day charity match.

"Koscielny was brilliant [at the end of last season]," Adams told Arsenal.com.

"He reminds me a lot of Martin Keown. He's very tenacious. I hate labelling people because Martin Keown was one of the best we've ever had. But there are similarities there, the way Koscielny marks and his last-ditch tackles.

"He's tenacious in the tackle. [When it came to] that tight, one-to-one defending, there wasn't a better player that I've played with, [than Keown]. To put Koscielny in the same category [to Keown] is an enormous compliment I think."

Adams also praised Mertesacker, whose relationship with Koscielny was vital to Arsenal's strong end-of-season form.

"I think he's a really nice boy and, in a few games at the end of the season, he started to push people around and say 'come on!'" said Adams. "I think he came out of himself a bit more. He's a fantastic player.

"I thought Arsenal were first class defensively. But you defend as a team. That's what the philosophy of Arsenal always has been - attack as a team and defend as a team. The [attacking players] need to put a shift in as well.

"We looked better when we've had two in front of the centre halves. Later on in the season, with Ramsey and Arteta, I think it looked much better."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-koscielny-reminds-me-of-martin-keown-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Koscielny doesn’t score very often but when he does they’re important.

Despite being one half of arguably the best defensive partnership in the Premier League, Arsenal’s Laurent Koscielny has a bizarre goal-scoring record.

Not that the centre-back finds the net often – with the 28-year-old having scored 10 times in his entire Gunners career – but when the Frenchman does, they’re generally important.

In the past two seasons goals from Koscielny have clinched the north London club’s place in the Champions League places and this time around the defender wants to go one better.

“I took the bet on that I’ll score the goal that will make us champions because for the last two seasons I’ve got the goals that have got us into the Champions League,” the France international told the Sun.

“In 2012 I scored the winner in our final game at West Brom and last year I scored the only goal at Newcacstle.

“Both times those goals clinched our place in the top four so hopefully I can score an even more important one this year in our last game at Norwich.”

Alongside defensive partner Per Mertesacker the duo have become a formidable force at the back for Arsene Wenger’s team and the side haven’t lost their last 30 matches with the pair both playing.

The 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace on Sunday was the 10th clean-sheet the club have kept this season with the two in defence and restored Wenger’s men at the top of the table.

An extremely hard run in is coming up for Arsenal however, with games against Liverpool (twice), Manchester United and Bayern Munich coming up in February, so Koscielny and Mertesacker will need to stay sharp.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/arsenal-star-wants-to-keep-up-impressive-scoring-record-to-clinch-the-premier-league-title/181162/

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

A slight clusterfuck to the weekends results......

Gutted we have let slip 3 very important points....but on a slight bit of better news I am hearing Ramsey is close to fitness Smile

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top