Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ox

+31
Christopher Flanagan
Justin Chew
Gopi
kdunn
FroddickGranson
vyom.chaudhary
Jonathan Prendergast
Wesley Wang
Samritpal Singh
Michael Foster
nick koupparis
Chris Chan
Zaid Derweesh
Joey Schwab
Mike York
Sue Lee
fkamil
Sami Rockfeller
Hisham El Mawan
Jenks1981
eyal.peer
DaveToffy
Jenson Pais
Marko Maksimović
Jason Morrison
janelle.noel
khezar
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Vanig Bostanian
Mohamed Samir
Evan Mullins
35 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Ox - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ox

Post by Michael Foster Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:33 am

"I would like to see him go because think he would be better than certain players"

My thoughts exactly...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 am

If all fails he can still go to the Emirates Cup cheers

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 am

Justin Chew wrote:If all fails he can still go to the Emirates Cup cheers

I was under the impression there was no Emirates Cup this year... So none of that either.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 pm

The Ox has been getting praise this week...

Former Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier – older fans will most certainly know his name, has been speaking to the Sunday Mirror and more importantly about young Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who joined the Gunners in the summer transfer window in a deal worth £15 million with add ons,

Oxlade-Chamberlain came up through the Southampton youth system the same as fellow Arsenal winger Theo Walcott, and Le Tissier is excited at what Chamberlain has shown in his first season with the North London side, the same as he has excited every Arsenal fan since he came onto the Gunners scene and many are seeing him as the natural successor to Theo Walcott and certainly looks a better al round player to him.

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror on Chamberlain’s progress since moving from the Saints to Arsenal, Matt Le Tissier said:

“There are not too many ­prodigious talents around who are English, but he is definitely one. Yes, he is a young man but he doesn’t play like a young man – we know that much.”

“He has purpose, is strong and seems to have plenty of confidence and has no doubt ­benefited from playing under Wenger and alongside such wonderful players at Arsenal. It can only improve his game. If I were involved in the selection process he would definitely be in my thinking.”

http://arsenal-news.com/saints-legend-praises-young-arsenal-winger/3804

And...

Robin van Persie believes that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has everything he needs to have a big impact for both Arsenal and England in the coming years.

Happy to compare the teenage midfielder to Manchester United star Wayne Rooney, the Dutchman paid homage to the versatility of the Southampton Academy graduate as the season comes to its climax.

“He can have a big impact,” the Arsenal captain told The Sun.

“He’s shown that already in a couple of games. He has pace, he is clever, he knows when to pass, he knows to dribble and he has good technique.

“Basically he has everything to become a great player. I’m sure that he’ll have a bright future with Arsenal and England.”

Asked if he agreed with Graeme Souness’ recent description of Chamberlain as a ‘total’ footballer cast in the same mould as Wayne Rooney, Van Persie had no hesitation in agreeing.

“I agree. Definitely. I rate Rooney highly; he’s a big player, a very good player and an all-round player. He can score goals, he can provide assists, he can make nice actions, good crosses, passes. He has a bit of everything.

“Chamberlain does play in a bit of a different position, either on the left or the right wing although that could change in the future, you never know where you’ll end up. They’re both very all-round [players] definitely.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/03/van-persie-hails-chamberlain-as-future-great/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+one+stop+Arsenal+news+site%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12 am

Im glad he has done well and im also glad he is now sitting on the bench, it could all have been too much too soon and we can now ease him in with fit senior players around him, Gervinho will have that place on the left until at least the end of the season.

Next season we should have some solid youngsters really piling on the pressure across the front three positions.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 am

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Fans treat me so well

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has paid tribute to the “overwhelming” support he has received from Arsenal fans during his successful debut season with the Club.

The young forward has impressed since his summer switch from Southampton, breaking into Arsène Wenger’s first-team squad on a regular basis since the turn of the year.

Oxlade-Chamberlain believes the supporters have helped him to settle from day one – and have played their part in the team’s excellent run of form.

“With 60,000 fans screaming you can’t not hear them,” he told the Official Matchday Programme. “It does help us and spur us on, and the more they cheer for us over the rest of the season the more it will help. We always go out and play for them and if we work together it will help us to succeed as a Club.

“On a personal level they have been great to me as well and I can’t thank them enough. When you go out to warm up and get a standing ovation you try not to smile or start laughing, but sometimes it’s hard as it can be quite overwhelming!”

Oxlade-Chamberlain will be keen to start against Wigan at Emirates Stadium on Monday, having featured off the bench in Arsenal’s last four league matches.

But the 18-year-old knows that whoever starts, Arsenal will be in for a tough test against Roberto Martinez’s in-form side.

“You just have to look at their last couple of games, playing really well to push Chelsea all the way and then beating Manchester United with a great performance,” he said.

“We beat them convincingly at their place earlier in the season, but they did play some good football that day.

"I think we do too though, so if we match them physically and work hard then we have the quality to come out on top. But we know it will be a hard game for us.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/oxlade-chamberlain-fans-treat-me-so-well?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:37 am

Really interesting comment from Wenger in his press conference today, he said that he now considers Chamberlain to be a central midfielder. Im really happy to hear this but he said it when asked about Alex Song, so I think he may be allowed to leave, and I worry that we will not replace him.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:51 am

Fairthorne has been saying EVERY day since the start of the window that M'vila will be an arsenal player. Literally. I am going to trust simply because it makes me feel better.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 am

ralph avedikian wrote:Fairthorne has been saying EVERY day since the start of the window that M'vila will be an arsenal player. Literally. I am going to trust simply because it makes me feel better.

I will eat my shorts if we get M'vila. That rummor has been dead for months now

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 am

He will.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 am

kdunn wrote:
ralph avedikian wrote:Fairthorne has been saying EVERY day since the start of the window that M'vila will be an arsenal player. Literally. I am going to trust simply because it makes me feel better.

I will eat my shorts if we get M'vila. That rummor has been dead for months now

I expect pictures.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:26 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Really interesting comment from Wenger in his press conference today, he said that he now considers Chamberlain to be a central midfielder. Im really happy to hear this but he said it when asked about Alex Song, so I think he may be allowed to leave, and I worry that we will not replace him.

It is interesting, and further crowds our mysterious midfield. So lets see, thats:
- Wilshere
- Arteta
- Song
- Ramsey
- Coquelin
- Rosicky
- Diaby
- Frimpong
- Cazorla
- Ox

+ M'Vila + Sahin? Even if you take our Wilshere, Rosicky and Diaby, that's 6 (+2?) players battling it out for 3 spots. I suspect that means we'll see some fluidity in position: Cazorla on the wing, Ramsey maybe on the left even. But a midfield of, say, Ramsey Arteta Coquelin isn't really good enough. We absolutely must sign a DM, which leaves just two slots for the rest. Even then, there are certain players who would be quite far from first choice when others are fit - Ramsey, for instance, would be behind Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky, Cazorla for sure, with Sahin coming in (if he comes in), it pushes him further back.

Saturday will be interesting.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 am

So, guess who is on the cover of the new FIFA '13 video game, alongside Joe Hart and Lionel Messi (!!!!)....

The Ox!!!

Very surprising choice, but chuffed for the lad.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Waters Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Cue season-ending injury, a la Wilshere.

Greg Waters
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 am

Exactly what Wenger probably doesn't want. He's been protecting the Ox from the spotlight and now, this. Luckily he seems to be smart enough not to think that he already is a star.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Arsene Wenger only used Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sparingly last season as he was obviously worried about causing the same burn-out that affected Jack Wilshere the year before, and it looks like Arsenal are still being cautious with The Ox this season as well and he has only started 15 games so far.

But Alex is more than happy to wait for his chances and hopes to grab them when he can. “I’m only 19 years of age and I’m at Arsenal Football Club,” he said. “I know I’ve got to bide my time, and maybe this is one of those times. Just to get a start was really important to me, and I know that when I get the opportunity, I’ve got to make sure I try and take it.

“It’s always nice for the confidence when you get a run of games. I had a few a couple of weeks ago, I think I played maybe five or six games on the spin and that was nice. I’ve got to expect to sometimes be pulled out because we’ve got so many talented players at this football club.

“Everybody wants to play so you’ve got to take being taken out of the team sometimes, let someone else have a go and make sure you’re ready to come off the bench and affect the games and help the team.

“I can remember last season, Robin van Persie came and spoke to me. He said ‘When I was first at the Club, I didn’t start, the boss used to take me in and out’. Look at the season he had last season, he was a key player. It was the same with Theo. You’ve got to bide your time, especially when you’re young.”

His chances may become even more limited now that Gervinho is expected back from the African Nations Cup any day now, and to be honest I think it is a good idea not to rush his progress too quickly, despite the fact that he could make a real difference sometimes. Maybe he could be restricted to being an impact sub for now?

http://justarsenal.com/oxlade-chamberlain-prepared-to-wait-for-his-chances-at-arsenal/20677
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm

I think he should ideally play midfield, but its way too crowded for him right now, summer clear out could help with that.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Yeah I can see him played more on the wings for now but soon or later to be deployed more behind the central striker. I still remember how impressive he looked in the centre against AC Milan.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Me too he did look really good maybe we will see a midfield of Ramsey, Wilshere and Chamberlain one day if they all improve where they need to, racists and nationalists alike will love an all british midfield! ha!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum