Man Utd Post Match - WTF Arsene

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Man Utd Post Match - WTF Arsene - Page 3 Empty Re: Man Utd Post Match - WTF Arsene

Post by John Foxall on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 am

Michael Schatzky wrote:You could put it all down to injuries for the last 3 games.
We have given up the lead (or draw) almost instantaneously.
You could say it's because we have had to play 4 cb's, no real fullbacks.
But someone explain to me how we can change personnel in the squad almost completely and still capitulate after scoring, or in the closing minutes year after year ...
Last year we dropped out of the the title race. This year 4rth might be too much. Through injuries among other things , we just do not have the quality in the squad to sustain.. ...we are threadbare.

Injuries happen, but what we're incapable of doing is adapting our performance to our current form. Ie, if we're in poor form are we able to put in a more cautious, solid display and see how the game goes before trying anything adventurous? No.

What about injuries. If your left-back is a rookie, isn't it a good idea to make absolutely sure he gets cover in the game. Clearly not. Why bother.

We can no longer afford a "one size fits all" tactical approach.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Man Utd Post Match - WTF Arsene - Page 3 Empty Re: Man Utd Post Match - WTF Arsene

Post by Joey Schwab on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:37 am

I'm quite sick of Theo and Arshavin.

I'm not sure what Wenger was playing at with Arshavin really but to be fair he got one substitution absolutely right (Yennaris for Djourou).

On this form, Theo can fuck right off with his 100 p/w demands. I'd rather stick Chambo and Gervinho on the wing any day.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

View user profile http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:42 am

John Foxall wrote:The complaints we could make about Wenger's Arsenal in the past few weeks could've been made at any time for the last three and a half years.

I presume with the Ox/Arshavin substitution he was just trying to be too clever. We really can't afford that anymore. I don't get annoyed because of Arshavin, I know he is a truly pathetic athlete who no longer offers anything to the team, I just think that Arsene is being a muppet. Age, experience etc are clearly not important when someone has talent like Oxlade-Chamberlain.

People are still claiming that Arsene spending money will solve the problems, it clearly won't. His ability to spend money has never been the key factor in success during his time at Arsenal. We need to do everything better. The argument that we need a change of manager is as strong now as at any time in the past few years. He's not doing a bad job but I'd love to see someone else try to take us forward. The repetitive recent seasons under AW have proved that he is clearly not the man to do this, good memories or not.

I would never have agreed with your views a year ago. But I am coming around to this idea, maybe we can offer Wenger a role of DOF then !!!
Also there is a serious dearth of quality managers to replace Wenger unless you consider Rafa Benitez as quality No

Last edited by Jenson Pais on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan Mullins on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:42 am

Even more dissapointing that United were really not any good.
Evan Mullins
Evan Mullins
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Schatzky on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 am

John Foxall wrote:
Michael Schatzky wrote:You could put it all down to injuries for the last 3 games.
We have given up the lead (or draw) almost instantaneously.
You could say it's because we have had to play 4 cb's, no real fullbacks.
But someone explain to me how we can change personnel in the squad almost completely and still capitulate after scoring, or in the closing minutes year after year ...
Last year we dropped out of the the title race. This year 4rth might be too much. Through injuries among other things , we just do not have the quality in the squad to sustain.. ...we are threadbare.

Injuries happen, but what we're incapable of doing is adapting our performance to our current form. Ie, if we're in poor form are we able to put in a more cautious, solid display and see how the game goes before trying anything adventurous? No.

What about injuries. If your left-back is a rookie, isn't it a good idea to make absolutely sure he gets cover in the game. Clearly not. Why bother.

We can no longer afford a "one size fits all" tactical approach.
Absolutlely.
WE don't seem to have much in-game intelligence. MAN U were hammering Djourou's side for a good 15 mins before the goal. They even switched Giggs over from the other side for the goal. It was painful to watch. Of course Wenger adapted at the half.
I just watched a clip of their second goal. Sure, Arshavin defended poorly. That is to be expected, because it is known by us and everyone else that he doesn't defend.
For the goal United exploited this perfectly. It's probably attributing too much savvy to them to say they immediatley spotted Arshavin isolated, Welbeck had a try , ran at him and created something . But similiar to ^ if your left back is a rookie, Miquel vs Swansea , and he is isolated he needs help. Someone should have realized ( Ramsey ? Rosicky?) that Arshavin was responsible for the entire left flank and he wasn't going to cut it. Perhaps that's putting too much blame on us to make that adjustment at 75-80 minutes, I dunno.
I don't even blame Arshavin, he was never good at defending .His entire fucking career has been built on going forward and Wenger should have sold him ages ago instead of expecting him to adapt to an athletic 4-3-3. Just like I can't blame Djourou, a middling Cb for getting done in time and time again trying to play as a fb.

Michael Schatzky
Matchday Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenson Pais on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 am

Joey Schwab wrote:I'm quite sick of Theo and Arshavin.

I'm not sure what Wenger was playing at with Arshavin really but to be fair he got one substitution absolutely right (Yennaris for Djourou).

On this form, Theo can fuck right off with his 100 p/w demands. I'd rather stick Chambo and Gervinho on the wing any day.

Everyone could see Yennaris coming on for Djourou. Any person with some football knowledge could see that Djourou was having a nightmare against Nani. I have maintained that Fungus has outwitted Wenger many times before and he employs the same tactics against us and we seem to have no reply to his tactic. Wenger looks to have lost it, he went through the same situation when he was sacked as Monaco coach back then !!
Jenson Pais
Jenson Pais
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravneet Singh on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 am

Our defending for whole game was laughable.I lost count how many times they got behind our backline.

Ravneet Singh
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Spence on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 am

Joey Schwab wrote:I'm quite sick of Theo and Arshavin.

Agreed. Yennaris played a cracker, good prospect for the future there. With a full team I don't think Djourou would get anywhere near the starting 11 to be honest, so players can't come back quickly enough.

£100,000 a week? He'll take what he's offered or he could fuck off for all I care... To be honest I think we can stop talking about the potential a winger has when he's reached 22, it's time he delivered on the faith we've put in him. In my mind he hasn't.
Ed Spence
Ed Spence
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:44 am

One size fits all tactics is an interesting one, in the glory days we could say that we were so good all we had to do was concentrate on ourselves and performing to our potential. We surely cant be arrogant enough to still be doing that today...and if we are thats unforgivable!

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by danan.sonokun on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 am

Theo is just shit..Chambo looks like the real deal though, come Theo's age, he'll be a regular at Arsenal and for England.

danan.sonokun
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 am

Today was coming. I thought it would have come at the start of the season after a few defeats but the crowd rallied a bit and got behind the team but with the 3rd defeat in a row and with us only heading 1 direction, everyone exploded.

Fans / Atmosphere

I'm talking about the fans and the atmosphere around the stadium. It wasn't a nice place to be when a) The Ox was taken off for Arshavin and b) when Wellbeck scored and immediately fans behind Wenger got up and started to abuse him.

We had an end of season last season where the stadium was an ugly place to be as well as incidents like Eboue-gate and the 4-4 with Spurs etc. But today I sensed another Eboue-gate for Arshavin, even if the booing was mostly to do with who was coming off (although a bit was directed towards him), and maybe even Wenger. Many still support him but 10,000 booing makes a louder impact than 50,000 staying silent or even clapping and with Tottenham coming up next month and a Champions League match with a very good side, it could get worse before it gets better. I would go as far as saying that a defeat vs Tottenham could be the beginning of the end for him. I don't like booing players or during the game and we do have thick home fans but it's just an accumulative reaction to the last few seasons, last few transfer windows.

Few weeks ago Wenger said something along the lines of it would be silly to drop points because of no full backs. 3 defeats in a row. Very sily.

Arshavin substitution

It was wrong. Whether the Ox suffered with fatigue and/or a strain, well, the only thing we have to go by is Wenger's words at the moment. Even with those words, right now I still have doubts. Sounds like an excuse. Nevertheless, if you have to take him off you do not bring on Arshavin in his current form. Benayoun was on the bench, he is a harder worker and he has shown this season to be in better form. Wenger still believes that Arshavin is the player he once was. He isn't, he's gone. Unless you play him in a free role behind the striker he won't be of much use to us anymore. It's unfortunate. I don't see how he can start games at the Emirates with that crowd.

The Ox vs Theo

Don't really want to be comparing the two but may as well lump this together due to the inevitable comparisons between the two. Oxlade-Chamberlain is moving forward with every game. But once again, after a decent start to the season, Theo Walcott is going back again. Walcott's form has been poor for about 5/6 weeks now and when I see him pass the ball out of play under no pressure then blame someone for not being there, it really gets on my tits. He had fans on his back where I was in the 1st half today and it's not a healthy situation to be in.

The Ox was our brightest spark going forward all game. Pace and technique and a brain on his shoulders, he won't get everything right but I think he's only had 1 poor game since he arrived. You can see he lacks the positional sense sometimes, 1st half in particular he would drift in and offer no width or maybe not sure whether to get ball to feet or space, but he is fearless and he now deserves to be in the team until Gervinho returns. Unfortunately, the other flank has 2 players competing for a spot and the 'least shit' one will start.

Defending / Midfield

Djourou was clearly wack. Pathetic. When he dived in on Nani with his foot in the air, he was aiming to either get a yellow card or a red card, nothing else. He was clearly clueless but there didn't seem to be any real attempt to rectify the situation. United had such a clear game-plan and it was always going to work if they kept plugging away. Glad to see Yennaris come on, even if he fell over and conceded an own goal, it would still have been better than what Djourou would have given us. But he didn't do too bad. A teenage defensive midfielder who can fill in at RB looks to be our best bet at the moment.

I also thought Vermaelen was quite poor today, going forward and defensively. Valencia is a real handful in that form though and he may not have been fully fit but he needs to be in the middle.

Koscielny had another good game. But overall it wasn't good enough, the goals were too easy, even though it was a good move for the 2nd from United's point of view, but they threatened to get in behind us quite often. If we can't take our chances at 1 end we need to be stingy at the other, but once again we weren't.

Ramsey in the middle again didn't have the best of games, Song as well wasn't his best again. Rosicky of all players was one of our better performers today. He will never score a goal again, though.

Overall, United deserved to win. They controlled the midfield and apart from a 20mins spell, when did we have any control of the game? Not that we had control in those 20mins but we were creating chances. Passing and ability and creativity just not there. We do have so many players out but we say the exact same thing every season. United had 3 of their back 4 out and about 3/4 midfielders, it's not as if they had a full strength side out. Despite all that, we contributed to their win from players and the manager and tbh, also the fans. Just seeing MOTD2 now and seeing the abuse Arshavin got... seriously.

Unless we panic buy again, it's 5th best for us.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Mitchell on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am

Ok, just got back from the game so I thought I'd add a couple of things:

Yes, Oxlade-Chamberlain was great, and the contrast with Walcott was frightening. The fact that Walcott has no competition at all is worrying. Hopefully, when Gervinho is back, Chamberlain will be given more game time and Walcott will actually have to work for his place.

About the substitution: yeah, it was bewildering. But we don't know the ins and outs of the situation, only Arsene does, so I wouldn't criticise.

On the whole, I was pleased with the 2nd half performance, but we were deficient in too many departments, and Man U deserved the result. Djourou was a liability, and I hope Sagna is back very very soon. Yennaris did ok, but made one catastrophic pass that should have been punished.

Also, where has all the creativity gone from our midfield? Pretty much zero creativity. Wilshere coming back won't solve that. We need to buy a creative midfielder, I can't see this problem being solved from within.

All in all, disappointing, but I think it wasn't a surprise. With the team we had out there I thought we'd struggle, and we did.
Stephen Mitchell
Stephen Mitchell
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Mitchell on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

And I still think we could come 4th. Got some nicer games coming back, and Sagna/Arteta/Gibbs/Wilshere should be back soon. On top of that, Liverpool are terrible and Chelsea are struggling as badly as we are. Not over by a long shot.
Stephen Mitchell
Stephen Mitchell
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

Good post Mario. I may feel differently later on, but at the moment I honestly feel that Wenger just cannot take us any further. It's just the same mistakes, the same problems every season. Hoping that our injured players all come back, all stay fit and all find some decent form, while also hoping our other players who have been run into the ground playing every week to make up for the absentees don't get injured as well... it's just madness. What's more frustrating is how predictable this all is.

We all know it's not as easy as just going out and signing whoever we feel like, especially in January, but it's not as hard as they're making it out to be either. All we hear is how Arsenal are in a great and healthy financial position, especially in relation to other clubs, so why not try our luck? Sitting around hoping everything clicks and turns out fine in the end is ludicrous.

Signing a few players won't solve all our problems, but I'm sure it will solve some of them, and it most definitely will help us in finishing in the top four considering our injury problems and possibly get the crowd back behind the team again (which shouldn't be a primary reason for signing someone, but would be a good bonus). If we can get that then we can look into things deeper in the summer.

Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nick koupparis on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 am

What is wrong with these guys the chances they fluff - the basics in defending covering - closing down.

Very worried by RVPs reaction to the Ox getting subbed for that bumb fuck Arseshaving.
nick koupparis
nick koupparis
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

Tempted to use what Mario said in a separate thread. It goes way beyond one match or one substitution, the real question is, is this club progressing. Every year we hear about the great potential, every year we fall short, come out with any number of excuses at the end of the season, sell our best players, sign new ones for half the price and repeat the cycle.

This club has failed to show any ambition in the last few years and has stagnated. Now it has worked in the past because we were so much better than our nearest contenders, but with the emergence of City as another financial behemoth and the rise of Spurs as serious challengers, they have now caught up/surpassed where we continue to stay. There is no progression in the club.

Yes we have the makings of a very good core. Szczesny, Gibbs, TV, Kos, Song, Wilshere, Rambo, The Ox, Miyachi are all very talented youngsters, but who is to say they are ALL going to be there in a few years time. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend like loyalty exists in football anymore, 99% of the time money talks. Losing someone like Jack or TV will set us all the way back to the beginning again, no doubt waiting on someone like Aneke to come good in the next few years.

Something needs to change. We have too much dead weight just coasting by on fairly high wages and not enough quality where it is really needed. The lack of goals from anyone whose initials aren't RVP is quite frankly shocking. There are next to no goals coming from midfield and out wide. Im sure if you take out goals scored by defenders this year, RVP has probably got more goals than the rest of our midfield/strikers combined; that is simply ludicrous.

I don't see us finishing top 4 this year, even with a big name signing. However I do think we need to get big business done in Jan, because it will be a hell of a lot more difficult to sign a player without CL football in Aug. If we sign someone like Gotze or Hazard now, we will have them tied down to longish contracts and it might even convince RVP to stay. Wait til summer and those calibre of players won't want to join a club without CL football and we'd probably also lose the best striker in Europe.

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbetts87 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am

Apparently The Ox had cramps?

If not, then inexcusable to the fullest.

Arsene was talking about how he is young and Arshavin is the captain of Russia's national team is somehow justification, ridiculous. Some times you need a wild card and you have to see it through. Everything was working, they were on the backfoot - just diabolical.

The only silver lining of the substitution was perhaps Arsene putting Arshavin on display to potential buyers, I would accept that - came at a huge cost but I would accept it.

When is the last time we lost 3 league games in a row?
dbetts87
dbetts87
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kegan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:32 am

Great post Mario. I was at the game and was completely in shock when that substitution was made, couple minutes after setting up the goal too! I also saw the reactions of the fans on MOTD. I'm pretty confident to say, the boos & abuse weren't particularly aimed at Arshavin though, but aimed more towards Arsene Wenger & one of the most baffling decisions I've probably ever witnessed.

Wenger has been great for us, he really has, but is gradually losing the plot, if not already. This isn't a knee jerk reaction, but I've said for the last couple years now, get Pep Guardiola in. He has publicly said he has no intention to stay long term at Barca & only signs short term contracts with them. He has also publicly stated his admiration of Arsenal. Also, be a nice one to have over on Barca eh. They hassled & hassled us for Henry & Fabregas, whilst also taking Overmars & Petit, well lets take their Manager! lol

With Wenger, all good things have to come to an end sometime & tbh that time looks upon us. The Board are clueless, if David Dein could come back in, that in itself would be a wonder signing for us, as unlikely as it is though.

Last edited by kegan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

kegan
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:35 am

Spartan wrote: that bumb fuck Arseshaving.

First off can I say that is truly Spectacular. Just wonderful.

The atmosphere amongst the fans and the growing discontent and ugliness is perhaps the worst it's been since George Graham's last few days at the club.To sit there in the North Bank and witness it first hand was truly disappointing. Personally, from where I was sitting Oxlade Chamberlain was growing into the game and was becoming an inspiration to the players around him and you could really feel the team were gaining momentum before being taken off. He didn't look like he was at all struggling. But maybe he was. I don't know. I do feel it was an excuse by Wenger for an obvious tactical mistake though. The shouts towards the bench of 'You don't know what you're doing' the boos and abuse the manager was getting were pathetic. It was level at 1-1 with 20 minutes or so to go. Arshavin could have been an inspired sub (á la versus Barca) but I knew myself the chances of that happening were going to be slim.

Especially when I looked and saw the abuse he was getting from those around me.

Now I'm not talking about when he came on and made the odd stray pass or fucked up or whatever. I'm talking about when he ran on after The Ox was applauded off. He was booed, jeered AS he was coming on. How the fuck is any of that constructive?? And he heard it too. All of that was registering with him as he was coming on. And this business of RVP mouthing 'no' or 'what the fuck' when he heard the Ox was coming off? I haven't seen it but it seems possible he was doing it in disbelief at what he was hearing from the 'supporters'?

I thought we collectively go along to support our players. Not to boo them off before they have even touched the ball. Disgraceful. It makes me not want to go to any more home games. At least our away support are a credit to the club.

Apparently Eden Hazard was at the game today having been given tickets by Gervinho. I'm not not sure he would be too keen to play in front of idiots like that every other week if he was asked.
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Spence on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 am

''Yes we have the makings of a very good core. Szczesny, Gibbs, TV, Kos, Song, Wilshere, Rambo, The Ox, Miyachi''

Agree completely with your post Chris, but I'd say that is a very injury prone core...
Ed Spence
Ed Spence
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44 am

Chippy do you go every week? I don't go week in week out, but the times I have been this season, the atmosphere has actually been a lot better regarding the supporting of our players, but I think today was more a case of the straw that broke the camel's back. AA has been pony for ages now, he puts in lacklustre performances and has failed to live up to his early promise. F

As you say, the Ox appeared to be growing into the game and everyone was dying to see more. In hindsight it was a huge tactical error, but the problem was everyone at the time saw it coming. AA has been given so many chances by our fans that today was just a culmination of their frustration. I don't like booing our players, and I don't think that happened today. It was more a case of showing displeasure at the decision and I have more understanding for that because I went 'WTF' at the time as well

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyBrady on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:10 pm

I go most weeks. When I'm not working and I can get away from doing that Sunday farmer market type nonsense women insist we do with them. We never seem to play on a Saturday any more so I can't go as often as I'd like.

The atmosphere is great when we're doing well and people are supportive when the players are putting a shift in. If you remember early in the season and late last season it was getting a bit dark to say the least. But during transfer windows and price increases, it tends to get that way in recent years.

I agree Arshavin has been poor for a long time. The odd glimpse here and there but those moments recently have been almost forgettable they have been so sporadic. Considering the player he was before we signed him and shortly after it's such a disapointment. Arsene should have seen he was not going to get himself out of whatever rut he has put himself into and moved him on during the summer. Sadly he just isn't consistent enough.

Chris, his presence was booed not just the decision. I agree there was massive uproar for Chamberlain coming off. But it's the abuse that followed after which was more disturbing. Shouted and jeered before he even touched the ball. At one point when someone was down or the ball was out of play or something, he just stood there staring at some people who were standing up gesticulating and calling him a lazy fat cunt etc.
Sad really.
ChippyBrady
ChippyBrady
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesley Wang on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:59 pm

I nearly dropped a deuce in my breeches when Van Persie went down after that clumsy slide tackle he made on Valencia.

Without RvP we'd be worse off than Liverpool, now that is a sad thought. He's having the season of his life and we're still having probably our worst ever season under Wenger.
Wesley Wang
Wesley Wang
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:57 pm

For all the criticism of Wenger, his lack of ambition, and poor transfers:

We wanted Cahill - We got Mertersacker
We wanted Parker - We go Arteta
We wanted Schwarzer/Reina - We got Szczechny

We also doubted the Koscielny and Ox signings, and now they are 2 of our favourite players.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alejandro Perreira on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:45 pm

it's a tough stretch, but we'll emerge from it. at the very least the game was close we didnt lose much ground. yes we should be taking advantage of these opportunities, but i feel we will soon enough especially as players come back. and at least we can definitively show that 8-2 was a big time fluke.

Alejandro Perreira
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next