Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 2013/14

+8
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Schatzky
Subrat Koirala
Hisham El Mawan
Michael Foster
vyom.chaudhary
deep.gurung
Jonathan Prendergast
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Season 2013/14 - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 2013/14

Post by Meshaal Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:When I look back at the past 10 seasons, we possibly have better depth in defence than any other season. Sure Vermaelen is out for now, but as Sagna plays both CB and RB, we have great depth. 2 injuries won't hurt us now, like previous seasons when it would see players like Senderos, Cygan, Luhzny and other players playing.

The only season I remember when we didn't have many injuries was the invincables year. The same 13 or so players played almost every game.

In the short term, it would be great to get a centre back, but I will be calm if we don't. I think most important is cover for Arteta, unless Frimpong steps up, and a 2nd striker would be great to rotate with and push Giroud.
Goalkeepers :
Available - Szczesny, Fabianski.
Szczesny can be inconsistent at times and Fabianski is very injury prone. An experienced goalkeeper to keep Szczesny on his toes would be a welcome addition even if its not the top priority.

Fullback :
Available - Sagna, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Monreal.
Can't complain about the options we have in the full-back positions.

Centre-back :
Available - Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen (injured).
Squillaci, Djourou and Miquel not at the club this season. Definitely need to bring in a centre-back, not bothered if the player brought in is 1st choice or 4th choice (or anywhere in between). Ideally would prefer someone better than Squillaci and Djourou.

Mid-field :
Available - Arteta (injured), Wilshere, Cazorla, Ramsey, Rosicky, Frimpong*, Diaby (always injured).
We have some great options in mid-field, especially with Ramsey's improved form but back-up / competition for Arteta (as the more defensively positioned mid-fielder in our set up) would be very welcome.

*Would not be surprised to see Frimpong loaned out, if he hasn't been already.

Strikers / Forwards :
Available - Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain (injured), Sanono, Miyaichi** (injured).
Very short on numbers here with Arshavin and Gervinho both allowed to leave and Oxlade-Chamberlain out for a while. Ideally two players need to be brought in and one at the very least, even if Wenger wants to continue with Giroud upfront.

*Would most likely have been loaned out if he hadn't been injured.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 am

In terms of wide forwards, I am quite happy with Walcott, Podolski, Miyachi, The Ox, Cazorla and young players (Gnarby, Eisfeld, Zelalem (in CAM with Cazorla playing wide forward)) filling in from time to time.

But if we got a quality player like Ozil or Di Maria, and are unable to get a quality striker, then while not ideal, could work well with Podolski and Walcott filling in for Giroud as striker.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:54 am

Two simple points for me to make....

podolski..should be playing as a striker

frimpong...as much as I hate to say it because I have a lot of admiration for the lad...cup games if lucky.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 am

I haven't given up on Frimpong. He was great in his time at Wolves.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:19 pm

So, who is favourites to win the league? And how close is it?

City, United and Chelsea would be favourites based on previous seasons and signings. But they seem to have their problems.

Can Arsenal, Tottenham or Liverpool really be title contenders?

Michael Laudrup thinks Arsenal should not get carried away despite our positive start.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by deep.gurung Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:05 pm

i think we can be title contenders if we had the squad fully fit ... but as it stands i say its being too optimistic but then again iam a fool and i am already planning of premier league and champions league win party.

need to buy a striker like aguerro or suarez this jan
deep.gurung
deep.gurung
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I was strangely a bit pessimistic(strangely, because I'm one of those blindly optimistic fans) at the beginning of the season due to our thin squad. But a signing of Ozil's caliber has changed that quickly. We're still a bit short in numbers, mind, but if we can sign a 'not cup tied' quality striker in January and keep our important players fit, then there's every chance we'll land a trophy this season.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 am

Subrat Koirala wrote: but if we can sign a 'not cup tied' quality striker in January and keep our important players fit, then there's every chance we'll land a trophy this season.
Suarez?
I think we can't win the League and I'm not sure who can win it because all teams have their problems, and ours is that we have a paper thin squad, but it's not very far fetched to say we can and that is because we now have something we were missing in the Cesc years: mental strength, the ability to dig deep, a bit of organization at the back, and all the other things Arsene mentions in his interviews (and annoys the shit out of us).

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:18 am

Vanig Bostanian wrote:
Subrat Koirala wrote: but if we can sign a 'not cup tied' quality striker in January and keep our important players fit, then there's every chance we'll land a trophy this season.
Suarez?
I think we can't win the League and I'm not sure who can win it because all teams have their problems, and ours is that we have a paper thin squad, but it's not very far fetched to say we can and that is because we now have something we were missing in the Cesc years: mental strength, the ability to dig deep, a bit of organization at the back, and all the other things Arsene mentions in his interviews (and annoys the shit out of us).
I was thinking of Suarez too, but I'm not willing to mention his name straight away because the saga re: Suarez and us was arguably the most funniest sagas of all time. Giroud is a very good striker, but he's not the kind of guy who can pull a rabbit out of the hat when no one else is having their day. And agree about the mental strength you talked about. The team of Cesc years only wanted to win beautifully, and that became our achilles heel at times. This current crop can dig in. If we can top of the table say after 15-16 games gone, we can may be start to think a new quality striker will put us in the driving seat to win the league.
But the question remains: who apart from Suarez can we get in January? may be a loan signing?
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:32 am

Just like when the transfer window opened, there aren't many strikers available who can turn a very good side into champions.

We missed out on Higuain.

Suarez is a huge risk.

Lewandowski is going to Bayern.

Benzema might be worth a shout?

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:55 am

Realistically, I think we'll look to loan a striker in January. Manchester United loaning Larsson few years back is what we could replicate, as it's pretty certain signing top players in January is a tough ask.
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 am

Chelsea signed Torres (when he was good) in January and I think City signed Dzeko? So it's not impossible.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 am

But they both were very expensive signings and i don't see us doing that again for now.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:But they both were very expensive signings and i don't see us doing that again for now.
I see the opposite. If the right opportunity arises, I think Wenger will invest big again. It 100% depends on how well Wenger rates the player in question.

I think he would take Suarez for 40m, as he has been willing to bid that amount before.

I doubt Real would let Benzema go, as they are short of strikers.

No idea whether Wenger rates Lewandowski, but with all the quality Germans at Arsenal, maybe he would be open to a move to Arsenal, and Dortmund would love to sell him to us rather than Bayern.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:10 am

Sagna out for 3 weeks
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:30 am

Was wondering what our injury list looks like and how long before each player returns
Theo
Alex
Koscielny?
Podolski
Cazorla

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:Was wondering what our injury list looks like and how long before each player returns
Theo - Crystal Palace (26th Oct)
Alex - Manchester United (10th Nov)
Koscielny? - unknown
Podolski - Crystal Palace (26th Oct)
Cazorla - Norwich (19th Oct)
http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 am

Looking at the table, it seems we definitely have a "top 6" this season.

Under normal circumstances, you'd expect Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United to be favourites for the title. While the two Manchester clubs haven't made the best of starts to the season, 7th and 8th with 2 points between them, we all know they are going to bounce back.

However, United do not look like a title winning team at the moment but I doubt they'll finish outside the top 4.

Everton and Southampton have both made promising starts to the season but realistically aren't in the mix for the title.

Along with ourselves, Liverpool and Sp*rs have also made strong starts to the season and will definitely be in the mix for the top 4 but if I'm honest, I think only one of the 3 clubs will make the cut.

Liverpool have to hold on to Suarez if they want to want to finish in the top 4.

As for ourselves, despite some beautiful football and good results, I just don't see us finishing ahead of Chelsea - really hurts to say this. However, if we end 2013 still on top of the table or thereabouts, we really can start believing.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:15 am

Fixtures till end of the year :

Liverpool (Home)
Manchester United (Away)
Southampton (Home)
Cardiff (Away)
Hull (Home)
Everton (Home)
Manchester City (Away)
Chelsea (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Newcastle (Away)

A lot of potential for us to drop points.

Chelsea's fixtures till the end of the year :

Newcastle (Away)
West Brom (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Southampton (Home)
Sunderland (Away)
Stoke (Away)
Crystal Palace (Home)
Arsenal (Away)
Swansea (Home)
Liverpool (Home)

Their toughest game on paper is against us.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I had been thinking a similar thing. We have had a pretty good run of lesser teams, and we will have a much better idea once we come up against the better teams.

Same with Liverpool, who have only played United and Southampton.

Conversely, Aston Villa have played Us, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Everton and Sp*rs!

To turn it into a positive, it is a chance to get further ahead of our rivals. A win against Liverpool puts us 5 points ahead of them.

It's great that the league is so open this year. But as those games above show, that could change by the end of the year.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 am

Alexander Pato!!

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:51 am

Meshaal wrote:Alexander Pato!!
????
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:53 am

Michael Foster wrote:
Meshaal wrote:Alexander Pato!!
????
Linked with a January move to Arsenal by the ever-reliable tribalfootball.com

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:54 am

I should think the next month is a big issue for all of the top 8..teams like Southampton will be waiting to push up to the front runners for the points survival...bag them before Christmas while they are fresh.....as long as van persie and his bag of shit cunt mates lose a few I will be happy....the more that piles on them the better....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 pm

EPL Injury List Here

We are top of the injury table for the league as usual.

Luckily, Podoslki, Flamini and Gnabry are back for the United game.

It would be very handy if they were available for Dortmund!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next