Gervinho

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gervinho

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:37 pm

After half a season with us and his soon absence of 6 weeks, I think it's an appropriate time review his performance and potential for the team.

For mine, I'm a fan. Not so much for what he has achieved in terms of goals of assists so far, but what he can potentially achieve.

1 - He has an eye for goal. Many times over the years, great balls have gone across the 6 yard box with no Arsenal in sight for the tap in/finish. While he hasn't converted many into goals yet, it seems that he loves getting on the end of these crosses. Hopefully the goals come in this regard.

2 - Counter attacking. We have great potential in this regard, with RVP providing a great target and skilful lay offs, good passing midfielders, and great pace up front. Gervinho a few times has been involved in some great counters, either providing the assist or being on the end of a quick pass.

3 - His dribbling. He loves working the channel and the bi-line. His mazy runs have created a few chances, and a few that should have been chances. To date, he has spurned a few great chances with a poor final pass/decision after a great dribble.

My criticism is does not seem to be the cleverest player. He is not a player for the purists that for sure, like, for example, Pires. TO this extent, his team work has been poor so far, so some room for improvement there.

Thoughts? farao

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gervinho

Post by kique.canto on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I must say that I wasn't too excited when we signed him. I didn't know much about him nor what he could do. Just saw his stats on Wikipedia.

Now that I have seen him, his dribbling reminds of Robinho's. Not so much the stepovers, but his ability to go by defenders very easily. The difference is Robinho scores a lot more than he does.

But after half a season I think he's done very well and am glad I was wrong.

kique.canto
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Same as above, I wasn't too excited when we signed him. Wanted Hazard more than him. But Wenger again proved us wrong.

Such a good and important player. His dribbling skills are fantastic. He's not scared to run at defenders. The only thing he's lacking is his finishing. If he could take shots outside of box then it would be good. Cut in, take shot.

Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Evans on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 pm

He's done good so far. I like his attacking style and that he holds the ball for far longer than I expect him to. If he can remember to bring his shooting boots with him at some point this season then he'll be quite a player.

Nick Evans
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 pm

His work rate is also a breath of fresh air after having regularly Arshavin playing in the same position.

I love his desire to get the ball and run at defenders. We've lacked that direct aspect of the game the past season or two.

Liam Bermingham
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Mitchell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:15 pm

I think I generally agree with most of the views on here. Gervinho has played as well as could be expected, he provides a directness that maybe we missed last season. He's an exciting player, and has been pretty effective.

That having been said, in recent weeks his lack of composure/finishing in front of goal is starting to irritate me a bit. Now, I'm sure it's something that most players go through with a change of scenery, and maybe we'll see the best of him next year, finishing off a lot of the excellent chances he creates. But it does worry me that both he and Walcott seem to have an automatic place in the team at the moment. Obviously, as he's off to the cup of nations now, it's the chance for someone else to stake a claim, or have a chance to play themselves into form (Arshavin!).

Good so far, though.

Stephen Mitchell
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 pm

He's adapted really well to the PL. I'm a huge fan hope he can add a bit to his game namely finishing and we'll have a top top player in our hands.

Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

View user profile http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 pm

I didn't know a lot about him when he signed but Wenger has done enough for me to trust any one of his signings. After watching Gervinho this season I am glad we got him. There are times when he frustrates me (his finishing mainly) but he gets into the positions which is good and the finishing should improve.

He is only 24 though and what he has shown so far is a good foundation to build on with age (and the more he gets used to the league). He has good technique, his positioning is top notch and when he is on the ball I have faith in him to beat any defender with his dribbling which opens up chances. He may not always do it but from what we have seen he has talent to do so. Add more goals to his game and he will be a beast.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 pm

I think the jury's still out. He's been good in patches but erratic and inconsistent in others. He's like a skinny Adebayor.

Hopefully he can build on his first6 months.

Christopher Flanagan
Admin

View user profile http://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm

I like him. I like his drive, his work ethic, his directness and his movement. He is always finding himself in dangerous areas and trying to make things happen.

However, he's not always making the best of those situations. He is frustrating because he promises so much and quite often in recent weeks especially, he's delivered little. His finishing and final pass, or just his overall final decision in the final 3rd, needs working on. When to make the right pass/shot and the execution of that pass/shot. But after watching him for the 1st few weeks, I realised that's what we were going to get from him, at least in his 1st season.

But he's a positive. Something there to work on and he hasn't been here that long, hopefully he ends the season strongly, he'll need to because we need something consistent from our forwards other than RVP. He and Theo really do need to be scoring 10-12 league goals a season, at least. He has 4, Theo has 2!

Although those returning from the AFCON mid-season seem to lose something for the run in, which is a worry.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 pm

We still need another really good attacking wide player, though. To rotate with Player X, Gervinho and Theo.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alejandro Perreira on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 am

Gevinho is a player the other team has to plan for no matter what form he's in. I'm 90% confident in him to beat his man and then 25% confident he'll make the right pass or take the right shot. If he can improve his iq in the final third more, he'd be the most dangerous winger in the epl.

Alejandro Perreira
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:34 am

One of the most frustrating players, but he does try. He needs to work desperately on his composure, he makes good runs and gets in great positions only to lose his head. He could be a monster if he learns to keep his cool in tight situations

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:31 am

He should work on his decision making a lot. We should point out that he helped Santos a lot with his defensive duties.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Callum Hind on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:52 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
1 - He has an eye for goal. Many times over the years, great balls have gone across the 6 yard box with no Arsenal in sight for the tap in/finish. While he hasn't converted many into goals yet, it seems that he loves getting on the end of these crosses. Hopefully the goals come in this regard.

Errrm what? I seriously haven't noticed that myself; he hasn't demonstrated an eye for goal at all really. He generally would rather do anything than shoot.

I do think he's a useful player; very positive and can genuinely beat defenders, however I'm sceptical we can get into the top 4 relying on him and Theo's end products at the moment.

Callum Hind
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RYOmoha on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Perfect player .. fast tactical and effective
bar missing the net too much which can improve with time but overall it was an excellent deal

RYOmoha
Trainee

View user profile https://twitter.com/#!/RYOmoha

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Gervinho: I want to be Arsenal's greatest player

The Ivorian believes that with the support of the club and Arsene Wenger he can eclipse the achievements of former greats at the Emirates Stadium

Arsenal forward Gervinho believes he can surpass the likes of Thierry Henry, Ian Wright and Cesc Fabregas to become the club's greatest ever signing.

Since joining the club in July 2011, the Ivory Coast international has struggled to establish himself as a regular first-team player under Arsene Wenger, making just 19 starts in his first season.

The 25-year-old started this campaign on a brighter note, netting five goals in Arsenal's opening seven matches, but a dip in form has seen the forward lose his place to Theo Walcott.

"I want to be here for a long time, do better than all the other players that came here," he told Goal.com. "I'm not thinking about going somewhere else for the moment.

"I'm in one of the best clubs in the world. I've got one of the best managers in the world. I've always wanted to be here. I think long-term, not short-term.

"But to mention the club and the fans, you never know. But for the moment, I'm here for the long term."

Arsenal have struggled for consistent form this season and currently sit sixth in the Premier League table, 21 points behind leaders Manchester United, but Gervinho insists that the feeling at the club remains positive.

"It's never easy when your team is having a hard time," he added. "We try not to think about it too much after every game when things are bad.

"We are responsible for whatever happens to the club. The atmosphere in the locker room is good. We try to keep our heads cool and our chins up to win every weekend.

"Sometimes it works better than others but you have to focus on the positive side so for that next game you still have the right state of mind.

"We've been through some tough periods in the league, but every time we have managed to come back stronger and give our best."

The 25-year-old also praised the passion shown from fans in English football, since his £10 million move from Lille 18 months ago.

He continued: "The passion the British people have for football... they live for football.

"Whatever difficulty their club is having the supporters are always behind it, they don't give up, they travel away with the team; my most striking image is this passion people have for football."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/01/15/3672028/gervinho-i-want-to-be-arsenals-greatest-player

Similar to Bendtner, I like the ambition he has to be our best but really? Not sure that one will happen fella.

Interesting to note in this thread how a lot of us, including me, were impressed by him his first half a season here. He's fallen from grace pretty fast.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 pm

If he can become anything like Alex Hleb, not more, I'd be more than happy to have him. He can forget about becoming greater than Thierry Henry.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 pm

He scored two goals, including a penalty, in Ivory Coast's 4-2 win yesterday vs Egypt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHcYIliv4sk

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:08 am

I still don't think he's very good

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 am

Poor penalty in the grand scale of it and a lucky lashed goal....

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Cant see him startin games when he returns

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Thing is you can bet that Wenger has seen him score and is sitting there rubbing his hands in glee..

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 am

Ivory Coast 2-1 Togo.

Gervinho scored the winning goal in the 88th minute with a nice finish and also made the assist for their first goal.

goal - http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/brilliant-finish-gervinho-secures-ivory-coast-win-over-togo/

assist - http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/yaya-toure-ivory-coast-v-togo/

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:Ivory Coast 2-1 Togo.

Gervinho scored the winning goal in the 88th minute with a nice finish and also made the assist for their first goal.

goal - http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/brilliant-finish-gervinho-secures-ivory-coast-win-over-togo/

assist - http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/yaya-toure-ivory-coast-v-togo/

Maybe hitting a bit of form away from us could be a blessing....

Keep cracking them in and he will come home with his tail up...

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:22 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum