Summer transfer window 2013

Page 4 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Summer transfer window 2013

Post by Meshaal on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Meshaal wrote:Being heavily linked with Jovetic, Fazio and Adler.

Would love for us to sign Hummels or Howedes but we all know what we will end up with Razz

We have signed good players in recent years - Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud, Mertesacker, Arteta etc - so shouldn't start complaining so early.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 am

You're talking to yourself!

I am not sure Hummels is that good. He is good going forward, but makes mistakes. I think his leadership and passing covers up poor defence at times when people judge him.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:You're talking to yourself!

I am not sure Hummels is that good. He is good going forward, but makes mistakes. I think his leadership and passing covers up poor defence at times when people judge him.

Nothing wrong with that Smile

We only have 3 recognize centrebacks at the club right now (not counting Squillaci). If we are bringing someone in, I would prefer a 1st choice as opposed to a 4th choice is we want the team to go forward next season.

Hummels is a leader and also quite handsome.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Meshaal wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote:You're talking to yourself!

Nothing wrong with that Smile

We only have 3 recognize centrebacks at the club right now (not counting Squillaci). If we are bringing someone in, I would prefer a 1st choice as opposed to a 4th choice is we want the team to go forward next season.

Hummels is a leader and also quite handsome.
Hummels is like Vermaelen who we thought was a leader. I haven't watched that many games, but almost every time I watch him play, he makes a mistake. No thanks.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4907091/Geoffrey-Kondogbia-on-Arsene-Wengers-transfer-radar.html

It's a bit of a nothing story like most transfer stories but he would be an excellent signing.

pwoodman1
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm

John Foxall wrote:Yes well the fact that he generally limits himself to really simple passes explains that, absolutely no penetration at all from his position. It's not a question of having an enforcer, just someone with the physicality of a Martinez as well as his defensive quality. I thought we looked at our most vulnerable this season when Wenger tried to have a midfield three of Arteta, Wilshere and Cazorla. It was just a mess, had too little discipline and too little defensive quality. If you have a strong holding player as well as Arteta then you need really really cutting forward players, a la Real Madrid. In the long run I don't see why we need to rely on Arteta with Ramsey coming through to replace him. Ramsey is our most mobile and energetic player, creating pressure to provoke mistakes is something we are crap at and seemingly not something Wenger is much interested in, yet it seems to come naturally to Ramsey, a valuable quality.

It's an interesting debate.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/04/arsenal-1-1-man-u-mistakes-undo-hard-work-by-the-numbers/

Some people, including Wenger, have suggested that Michael Carrick would be a worthy PFA player of the year. But Arteta beats him statistically hands down according to the above article. I know it is not all about statistics, but this is one of the best players in the league being beaten statistically by someone you think is not good enough for the Arsenal Starting XI.

Arteta generally plays the pass before the key pass. Less accolades than the key passer, or assister or goal scorer. But very important.

That said, I am not against signing a quality defensive midfielder. Arteta won't be around forever anyway.

I liked the look of Coquelin, but it seems Wenger is not convinced.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am

Christian Benteke?

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Christian Benteke?

Yes please. Also linked with Morgan Schneiderlin today - any good or nothing special?

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I like Benteke from what I've seen this season. Can't see him at Villa next season.

I reckon Schneiderlin is very underrated too. He isn't the world class DM people at Arsenal may want but I can see him leaving Southmapton for a bigger club soon.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal on Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 am

Mike York wrote:I like Benteke from what I've seen this season. Can't see him at Villa next season.

I reckon Schneiderlin is very underrated too. He isn't the world class DM people at Arsenal may want but I can see him leaving Southmapton for a bigger club soon.

Big names are exciting and I'm all for them, but Koscielny and Sagna weren't really household names and have been important players for us over the years, so I continue to trust Wenger's judgement (despite the odd Gervinho here and there).

The more important question is that will Schneiderlin add anything to our first team squad and is he good enough to start over Arteta?

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Wed May 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Wow, Schneiderlin has played over 160 games for Southampton, including going down to League 1 for 2 seasons.

I would prefer we get a world class or near player who comes in and starts and creates depth by pushing a current starters to the bench. That is a better way of getting depth rather than buying fringe players that may grow into starters, which is what we commonly do.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Wed May 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Wow, Schneiderlin has played over 160 games for Southampton, including going down to League 1 for 2 seasons.

I would prefer we get a world class or near player who comes in and starts and creates depth by pushing a current starters to the bench. That is a better way of getting depth rather than buying fringe players that may grow into starters, which is what we commonly do.

If only M'Vila wasn't such a supposed knobhead with an attitude problem he could have done that. Usually looked solid whenever I saw him play for Rennes/France and wasn't expensive. Keeping on the French midfielder track I have always liked Toulalan and we have been linked with him a lot over the years and recently. And we've been lniked with Gonalons recently. And Capoue. Most French midfielders come to think of it.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab on Fri May 03, 2013 5:38 am

Higuian. Higuain. Higuain.

Please, Arsene. Pretty please.

Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

View user profile http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall on Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 am

Joey Schwab wrote:Higuian. Higuain. Higuain.

Please, Arsene. Pretty please.

Only if we play two strikers up top. He only scores goals, which is fine, but then he can't play on his on. You need a rolls royce to play up front on his own.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 am

He scores goals. 22 in 35 games last season, and 14 in 25 this season.

A classy player. I think he can play the lone striker role, but like any lone striker, needs support to come from the other forwards and midfielders quickly.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal on Fri May 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Seen us being linked with Julian Draxler on a few occasions. Any know much about this kid?

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall on Fri May 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:He scores goals. 22 in 35 games last season, and 14 in 25 this season.

A classy player. I think he can play the lone striker role, but like any lone striker, needs support to come from the other forwards and midfielders quickly.

In the premier league against strong defenders sitting deep, he would get swallowed up. Just like Eduardo.

He looks classy in the Spanish League, but not sure he would be a better buy than Morientes.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Aguero and Torres (at first) have done well and been very successful in the Premier League. I'm not sure either as haven't seen enough of him to really know.

Xabi Alonso looks like he may also be leaving Real, and prefers London. But Chelsea look preferred. Particularly if he is looking for a retirement package.

Or it could all be paper talk.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I'd still go for Lewandowski unless he really did go to Bayern. Get him for 40m, looks like a proper (might even be better) replacement for RvP.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:I'd still go for Lewandowski unless he really did go to Bayern. Get him for 40m, looks like a proper (might even be better) replacement for RvP.

It's hard to beat the RVP of the past few yearsbut...

Lewandowski seems to be more mobile, fit and works harder (pressures the opposition when not in possession). But his main advantage is his age. You could buy him for 40m, and possibly sell him for a similar fee 5 years later, after getting 5 good years out of him.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario on Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 pm

He only has a year left on his contract, so we'll be looking at around 25M.

But with Bayern Munich and Man Utd in for him, unfortunately we don't stand a chance in hell.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm

The player only has a part say in his destination. We could potentially outbid them? (but that takes certain amount of faith that Wenger will change his ways this summer, which I appreciate not many have)

Who looks the most likely target out of those that have been rumoured? Ashley Williams?

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison on Mon May 06, 2013 9:21 pm

I honestly believe we'll land Jovetic, although I don't know much about him and he looks a bit frail for the premier league, perhaps he's the kind of signing people will get excited about. Also think Wenger will buy another attacking mid(to use on the wing).
Doubt he'll sign anyone defensive, Wenger seema to be mostly oblivious in tjis department since we've always needed that strong and physical leaderlike defender/defensive mid for about 6-8 years now and he's never signed anyone to remedy that. He'll only sign defensive if any of our defensive players leave, ie. sagna and possibly vermaelen.

Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon May 06, 2013 11:26 pm

It was amazing when we had Gilberto, Flamini and Diarra. A year later we had none of them! It really was a trouble spot for the team and Wenger. As was that 3rd centre back position over many years with Senderos and Cygan under performing.

We are blessed with depth in defence compared to those years now.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan on Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 am

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/312931/

Very interesting if true. I would take Fabregas back in a heartbeat, personally.

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 28 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top