Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer transfer window 2013

+34
Sivaram Sukumar
Ravneet Singh
Ashraf Peeran
Marko Maksimović
chris eades
Subrat Koirala
deep.gurung
Mohamed Samir
Aseem Bajpai
Andreas Wæhre
Dan Hakim
kique.canto
Joey Schwab
pwoodman1
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Jenson Pais
Michael Schatzky
Samritpal Singh
Meshaal
Mario
Jonathan Prendergast
Vijay Saibola
Kevin C.A.
cozypilo
ralph avedikian
John Foxall
Hisham El Mawan
Jenks1981
Vanig Bostanian
Chris Chan
jason.mandryk
Jason Morrison
Mike York
Michael Foster
38 posters

Page 17 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next

Go down

Summer transfer window 2013  - Page 17 Empty Re: Summer transfer window 2013

Post by chris eades Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 am

We have bid 40,000,001 for Suarez, not sure why we havent just gone for higuain for 25m instead though. For all of the problems that come with suarez he is one hell of a striker

chris eades
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 pm

chris eades wrote:We have bid 40,000,001 for Suarez, not sure why we havent just gone for higuain for 25m instead though. For all of the problems that come with suarez he is one hell of a striker

it seams that Real are trying to push a higher price for higuain probably to fund a bale bid it jumped from 25m to 37m i think was the latest price for the sake of a few million more i would take suarez prem proven and as you said one hell of a striker and that he is.....

if it was up to me i would tell Real to jog on...our camp was saying a verbal deal was in place and for them to now up the price to get extra funds takes the piss out of us...combined with the facts that higuain is now reported saying he wants more time to decide shows his heart is not really in jumping to the emirates...suarez has been stated saying he is happy with the link to us..shows more than higuain has been saying..

bag suarez,williams,and a good back up keeper 70m odd and its a good window for us...this friday and going into next week could be the start of it all....

come on suarez...hand in that request!!!!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm

and just to add...

the extra £1 in the offer is genius....that liverpool would have to inform suarez that an offer of buy out clause has been met....

NEWS!!!! higuain is having a medical at napoli....so there we have it...gone...make suarez the main target...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:53 pm

I agree Real Madrid took the piss by raising the fee after the personal terms agreed. But I read that Higuain stalled on the Napoli move as he still wanted to join us over them. Doubt it will happen now though.

Higuain would have been my preferred choice but only as he isn't as much trouble as Suarez. Suarez has a lot of baggage coming with him if he joins us but he was arguably the best forward in the league last season so can't deny he is a quality player. And also more versatile than Higuain which Wenger probably prefers.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 pm

i think suarez adds more pace up front..i like higuain dont get me wrong but not the quickest of players..
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez wants to hold talks with Arsenal over a potential move to the London club.
Suarez believes Arsenal's offer of just over £40m - which was rejected - triggered a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to suitors.
Liverpool interpret the clause differently, but the 26-year-old will inform Reds boss Brendan Rodgers of his wish to meet with Arsenal.
The Anfield side have now turned down two offers from the Gunners.
But with Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain, another of their targets, reportedly set to complete a move to Napoli, Arsenal will put all of their efforts into signing Suarez.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohamed Samir Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:11 am

I hope Fairthorne doesn't jinx Suarez's move too. Fucking hell!Mad 
Mohamed Samir
Mohamed Samir
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 am

This transfer looks like it is building steam by the second.....please bag him wenger so much is at stake over this....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 am

Breaking news liverpool to allow suarez to hold talks with us....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Higuain arriving at Rome airport flanked by boyfriend after coming straight from a uniform theme party in Madrid.

Summer transfer window 2013  - Page 17 Article-2375846-1AF94F7A000005DC-54_634x417

Deal is for 34m pounds. Napoli president says they will announce on Monday, along with Pepe Reina.

Only chance now is if we came in with a very very late bid over 34m pounds.

Wenger obviously prefers Suarez for an extra 6m pounds. Fair enough. Just hope it comes through and we aren't left stranded.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Hahaha......flanked by his boyfriend!!! Good laugh to start the day...

To be fair...the few extra million for Suarez is good in my book he may have a bit of baggage but i would take it....he is a 20+ a season player now coming into his prime...
We need to land him,hopefully Real are to busy knocking a deal together for the chimp down the road to launch a counter bid for Suarez...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 pm

This is all starting to feel vaguely familiar. If the build-up to Luis Suarez's seemingly inevitable exit from Liverpool mirrored that of his departure from Ajax - the wonderful goal-scoring form, the suggestion that he cannot fulfil his ambitions at his current club, the sudden taste for human flesh - then the act of it may well draw from another chapter in his career.

On the surface, Arsenal's reported bid of £40,000,001 for Liverpool's best player is a sly dig, a cheap shot, a light dash of humour in the otherwise po-faced gloom of the transfer market. That is certainly how John W. Henry -- Liverpool's increasingly absentee principal owner -- took it, judging by his response to the offer on Twitter.

Appearances, though, can be deceptive. Arsenal are not messing around. Their bid was not a joke. It was, as Brendan Rodgers might say, all part of the dance.

There is a clause in Suarez's contract at Anfield - signed just last summer, lest we forget - which deals with what happens in the event of an offer arriving for the striker which exceeds the nice round figure of £40 million.

Liverpool believe that clause stipulates that, should such a bid arrive, they are duty-bound to consider it and, whatever decision they reach, to inform the forward that he has been the subject of an offer. Quite how this differs from what normally happens is unclear.

Suarez's representatives - most notably his agent, Pere Guardiola - see it rather differently. They believe that if Liverpool receive an offer over and above that £40 million watermark, the club have to allow Suarez to speak to his suitor. They do not have to accept a bid, but by granting permission, one presumes they open a de facto negotiation with the buying club and give Suarez the chance to establish whether he wants to push for a move. Quite how this differs from what normally happens is unclear.

It is baffling that such a situation can arise, in which a document that is - one imagines - supposed to be legally watertight could contain a clause which is open to such vastly different interpretations, and it is equally confusing as to quite why a club or a player would insert what appears to be such a pointless stipulation.

That said, this does appear to be the summer of ineffective clauses, as Arsenal know all too well. After all, Arsene Wenger's team have a buy-back option on Cesc Fabregas that allows them to match any offer that Barcelona receive for the midfielder and gives them first refusal should Fabregas tell the Spanish side he wants to return to North London. Again, quite what this accomplishes is anyone's guess.

Regardless, ours not to reason why and all that: The clause does exist, and so does the confusion over what it means. And so Arsenal - presumably encouraged by Guardiola - took what they, quite understandably, viewed as the only step that would help them establish quite what the situation is, and submitted a bid of over £40 million. Only just over, but still.

Liverpool, as was to be expected, stood by their interpretation of the clause and rejected the offer; judging by Henry's response, Arsenal may have damaged their hopes of holding amicable talks with the Anfield side should they choose to return with a higher bid in the coming days and weeks.

That may not matter. Suarez has been in this situation before. When his first European club, Groningen, turned down an offer from Ajax for his services in 2007, the player engaged his legal team and took his club to court.

He did not win the case, but he had forced Groningen's hand. When Ajax returned with a better offer - not exactly an extortionate one, but a better one - they felt compelled to cut their losses and accept. Arsenal's bid, likewise, may have been designed to give Suarez the ammunition he needs to force a move out. He had already been in touch with his lawyers before news of the offer broke.

This is, whoever you support, a sad state of affairs. It is sad because it means Suarez's relationship with Liverpool will end on a sour note. It is sad because the club, who stood by him even as he threatened to drag their name through the mud, will see their support thrown back in their face.

It is sad because it offers an indictment of the reality of modern football, that a player will do all he can to avoid handing in a transfer request so as to remain eligible for all of the loyalty bonuses inserted into the contract he is trying to break.

It is sad because this saga could drag on for much of the rest of the summer, and there is nothing more mind-numbing than an incremental transfer soap opera, where every day brings no light but so much heat.

It is not just sad for Liverpool, because - make no mistake about this - it could happen to any club, such is the power that players hold. It might not be Manchester United or Manchester City or Chelsea or Arsenal this time, but should any of those teams spend more than a year out of the Champions League, they can expect to find themselves in exactly the same position.

It is sad because others may learn from Suarez; it is sad because it offers a window on how little players value the teams they play for and the shirts they wear.

But mostly it is sad because football simply does not learn. Clubs increasingly resemble partners trapped in unhappy relationships, convinced they will be different, that they will be the one, that they can take the bad boy and make him good, that they can take the journeyman and make him stay. They cannot.

Suarez has already forced his way out of two clubs - Groningen and, to a lesser extent, Ajax - and seems to be at least paving the way to crowbar his way from a third. He is a Champions League player, and Liverpool are not a Champions League club. It is understandable that he wants to go. But should the manner in which he is trying to achieve it not raise a red flag at the Emirates?

There is no morality in football. That is no great surprise, no great revelation. Liverpool were widely and rightly chastised for their handling of both Suarez's major transgressions in English football, but that they reacted in such a way is not a curiously Scouse thing; circling the wagons - and possessing fans whose loyalty is blind and forgiving - is not unique to Merseyside. The vast majority of clubs would have responded in exactly the same way; if you believe your club is different, you're a dreamer or a fool.

Likewise, it is not just Arsenal who would consider buying someone with such a chequered past. Manchester City have made their interest plain to Suarez on a number of occasions since the incident in which he racially abused Patrice Evra at Anfield. Chelsea - given the John Terry incident - would find it hard to scramble onto the moral high ground. Manchester United have overlooked players attacking a fan and missing a drugs test. Maybe there is a line, somewhere, but it is blurred, indistinct.

Arsenal being prepared to overlook ethical considerations is one thing - a necessary, if unpalatable, reality - but their ability to turn a blind eye to Suarez's transfer history is more worrying. He has already forced his way out of two clubs - his departure from Ajax was less acrimonious but just as compulsory - and now seems to be paving the way to do the same to a third.

This prompts a question that, at some point, Arsenal really should have asked themselves: What's to say he won't do the same to us? Even if he leads them to a Premier League and Champions League double, there is always going to be someone who will offer more money, more glamour, more sunshine.

Why would they be any different than Liverpool, than Ajax, than Groningen? What makes them think they will be the exception? Even if they are prepared to spend all that money to bring Suarez to the Emirates, despite all of his baggage, is signing him not a guarantee of trouble down the road? This feels familiar already. It is hard to escape the idea that Suarez, and his clubs, are condemned to repeat history, time and again - less as tragedy, more as farce.
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/8101?cc=3888

I really really don't want Suarez.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm

"There's no doubt the market these days for top players is very small so Luis will always be linked with top clubs," Rodgers said after Suarez made a cameo appearance in Liverpool's 2-0 win over local club Melbourne Victory on Wednesday.

"But I think the support that he's received from the supporters and the people of the city of Liverpool has been unrivalled.

"In the period of time, he's missed a lot of games for the club through various reasons. And the people have stood by him like a son and really looked after him.

Rodgers talking about Suarez. I don't want sons or people to look after. I want players who won't be banned for the stupidest of reasons.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm

I don't recall any of these journalists or bloggers being particularly saddened about the state of football when RVP fucked us over to get what he wanted last season after we stood by him during all the injuries and whatnot, for significantly more than just the two years that Liverpool have stood by Suarez.

''This prompts a question that, at some point, Arsenal really should have asked themselves: What's to say he won't do the same to us? Even if he leads them to a Premier League and Champions League double, there is always going to be someone who will offer more money, more glamour, more sunshine.''

Anyone who thinks Arsenal haven't asked themselves this question before submitting these bids is an ignorant git. And if he wins us a Champions League and Premier League double then I'd say mission fucking accomplished, isn't that the whole fucking point of signing players like him? If he wins us things then tries to force a transfer I could quite easily live with it, and I'm sure we'd get a pretty significant transfer fee for him as well. Can anyone really believe Arsene Wenger hasn't thought of things like this? Pfft.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly ecstatic about this transfer, but all this holier-than-thou moral bullshit has me disgusted. He's an ignorant football player. Aren't they all? I don't condone his actions or behaviour, but at the same time I don't equate them to eating babies and burning hospitals, the way some people would have you believe of the guy.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Agree with your thoughts Alex. I'm hardly ecstatic either, but if we don't buy him, someone probably will and benefit greatly from it. It may as well be us, as playing while, he is almost ideal for us.

There were some dissenting voices of RVP when he left Arsenal, but they seemed quite amongst all the pro-United championing of his move.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 pm

The way I see this....if we were to land hos services and Wenger brakes the bad streak in him..we were to land the double and more...his value would increase drastically....would that benefit us? Greatly!!!! If real then came knocking with a 70 odd mil bid..happy days...ok we would lose a prize asset but we would have silenced the pundits marked our name down firmly in the prize books driving us back to where we want to be....and that's not to add of the players that would take notice a.d want to join us....there comes the price part....70 mil to reinvest into the squad is two class players....and if he was to join and want to stay and we were doing well...only brings more names to the board of arsenal....

It's a win win win....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't care what he's doing to Liverpool and if he'd be doing the same for us, all I care is that he's too mental and might pull off something really stupid in any game and get banned for many games. Do you trust him to not get yellows in the Champions League and not miss important matches?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Rooney is a cunt I've hated all my life, but if we were to get him, I'd be OK with it. Suarez, just no.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 pm

He is a knob but in England he has also either had a complete idiot as a manager (Dalglish) or an inexperienced one (Rodgers). Bar being a brilliant forward player, the only reason I would be alright with signing him is that I have faith that Wenger would be succesful is ironing out his on-pitch antics and managing him a lot better than he has been man-managed before. Wenger has a pretty good track record with players like that.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 pm

I also trust Wenger. He is normally very cautious about getting the right personalities. If he thinks it can work, or is worth it, than I'm ok with it.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Roy Keane was a cunt. Ended a player's career. But he goes down as a Man United legend.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:03 am

ARGHHHHHHHH!!! Dont get me started on that utter utter prick keane....not only did he end a players career I swear all man u had him for was to be a cunt on the field...utter shit footballer, dirty arogent prick, he deserves none of his titles cups any of it for that matter....one prick signed by another....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 am

Wenger and Ferguson are two of the best man-managing coaches ever, really.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Come on Wenger make it a cracking birthday for me....bag Suarez!!!! Lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:29 am

Arseblog has posted quotes with Wenger saying we can challenge without signings getting everyone fired up. I can't see the quotes anywhere else, so I wonder if it is a wind up? Nonetheless, when you read the overall quotes, he says he is trying to sign players, and we can challenge with or without signings.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next