Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey

+5
Vanig Bostanian
Jason Morrison
Jenks1981
Michael Foster
dbruce5
9 posters

Go down

New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey Empty New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey

Post by dbruce5 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:59 am

Really pleased about this. Gibbs has already improved immensely and if he can stay fit he will be an amazing left back. The Ox and Jenkinson are still young and they will be great. Obviously Wilshere signing a new contract is huge. It'a clear that Wenger sees a lot of potential in Ramsey and wants to keep him. He still has a long way to come.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/five-young-internationals-sign-new-contracts

dbruce5
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey Empty Re: New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey

Post by Michael Foster Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:09 am

Me too....happy as Larry at this I still would say send Rambo out on loan for a bit...

BBC write up....

Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey, Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain and Carl Jenkinson have signed long-term contracts at Arsenal.

Midfielder Wilshere, 20, who returned in October after 15 months out injured, has signed until 2018.

The other four players have committed to between four and five further years.

"I believe when you have a core of British players, it's always easier to keep them together," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said.

"We are delighted that these five young players have all signed new long-term contracts.

"The plan is to build a team around a strong basis of young players in order to get them to develop their talent at the club."

Wenger is hopeful that Theo Walcott will also commit his future to the club.

The England international's contract expires in June 2013. Chelsea, Liverpool and both Manchester clubs have been linked with moves.

Wilshere has made over 70 appearances for Arsenal since his first-team debut in 2008.

He developed into a key player for the club in the 2010-11 season but missed the whole of the last campaign with a knee injury.

Wilshere has played 10 games for Arsenal since returning in October,

Wales international midfielder Ramsey, 21, has made over 120 appearances, scoring 10 goals, while defender Gibbs, 23, has started almost 40 games for Wenger's side.

Winger Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19, joined Arsenal from Southampton in a £15m deal in August 2011 and has featured regularly this season, while defender Jenkinson, 20, has made 10 Premier League starts.

Wenger added: "Jack [Wilshere] is certainly the best known, the leader of this group - but the other four players are exceptional footballers and we're very happy that we could conclude their new deals at the same time.

"Gibbs, Jenkinson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey and Wilshere represent a core of the squad and it's an extension for a long period for all of them."
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey Empty Re: New Contracts - Gibbs, The Ox, Wilshere, Jenkinson and Ramsey

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:28 am

Interesting that Gibbs hasn't even started 40 games for us yet, I think I see him as being more senior than that, he is a favourite of mine, I think he will become a top left back in the future, this is great news well done Arsene and well done Arsenal!

Theo Walcott its decision time...

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:10 am

This is brilliantly done by us. 5 of britains brightest prospects, with wilshere already a top player, gibbs already our 1st choice LB and does really well most games and ox and jenks always showing their potential. Ramsey is obvioualy the one a lot of people aren't happy with but he's 21 for God's sake and I think Ramsey has a lot to learn still, would've been so much better had he had someone amazing and experienced like cesc to play alongside the way wilshere did for a season. But that shawcross cunt ruined it all!

In anycase, its amazing how people on twitter are complaining about handing these guys new contracts yet they see what has happened to walcott (and complain about him not having signed yet, ironically the very people who probably said 2 or 3 years ago walcott doesn't deserve a new contract cause he's shite) who will obviously be off in the new year cause the bollox he spouts about it taking long is just proven wrong by the very fact that we got 5 guys to sign all at once so quickly.

Anyway great news for us. These guys will be the foundation of our team for years to come, all of them love and support the club which can only be good for us.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Also I think it sends out a great signal just before the transfer window.....might persuade a few that were thinking of wanting to join in actually doing so....dependent on Wenger wanting of course.....but good job all round....glad to see the kids want in to the part of something they obviously know more about than us...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Excellent news. Probably the best (young) players in England, each in his position has signed up for us. I don't understand the why people are complaining about Ramsey. Yes, he has not had the best of games recently, but he is miles ahead of most Premier League midfielders who are 21. This is great, now it's time for Theo to sign (doubtful) and we'll have 6 of the best players in England.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Anyone know how long these contracts are??

I can't say i'm particularly excited bout Ramsey's new contract. Good to tie down the Ox, jack and Carl though
Liam Bermingham
Liam Bermingham
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Apparently they're all contracts running up to 2018. So 5.5 year extensions.
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Ramsey will become a top player I am sure of it.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 pm

Very good news. All 5 of these have big potential and they seem happy to play for Arsenal. It's also a good sign that Wenger has said he wants to form a British base to build from as he has probably realised that British players, espescially the known Arsenal fans like Wilshere and Jenkinson, are likely to be more loyal than foreign players.

If Gibbs can stay fit he will become a top leftback. And Ramsey before his legbreak looked one of the best midfield prospects in Europe so he has the talent, he just needs the confidence back.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm

I noticed today's 1st goal was Wilshere to Gibbs for Walcott to score.

Great to see when Ozil, Giroud and Ramsey have been taking the headlines...
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down